DS Lite Cracking Up?

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Was anyone successful in sending in their cracked white DS and getting a colored one?[/QUOTE]

I sent my white dsl in last month for the cracked hinge thing and they "repaired" it (free). When I got it back I noticed that when I closed it the lite didnt align up flush. Well this bothered me but it didn't affect the gameplay so I didn't make a fuss. Anyway, today I had a desire to play Drill Dozer and I stuck it in....And what do you know The Shoulder buttons didn't work. The left one was a little iffy and the right one was completely unresponsive.

So, I called them today and the guy (really nice btw) gave me two options I could either have them repair it free of charge or exchange mine for a refurbished one ($5). I don't know why it costs five bucks but I went ahead with that since I've had more problems with this dsl than anyone I personally know.

Anyway...asked if I could get a different color and the guy politely said no...it is NOA's policy that they exchange for the same color.....whatever :bomb:

[quote name='JokerCard']Well, I have to wait about a week or so to get eh label from them so that i can send it out.

Then another 2-3 weeks for the system to come back.[/QUOTE]

The label, for me, took about a week as you said. However, I got my dsl back a lot quicker than nintendo said. I really think that I got it within a week of them recieving it.

Well, i procrastinted and after about gettin the label 2 weeks ago.....

I just sent my DS today......I put it in a small box and then into a padded envelpoe....

Anyways...hopefully ill get it back in 2 weeks...

I just looked last week and noticed a small crack. Today I looked again and it's gotten a lot bigger. I have the extended warranty for EB, will they accept it for this problem?

[quote name='deepisland']I just looked last week and noticed a small crack. Today I looked again and it's gotten a lot bigger. I have the extended warranty for EB, will they accept it for this problem?[/QUOTE]

Its a no questions asked policy AFAIK...so if they say no tell them to go f**k themselves.....

...and then politely ask them to honor the warranty.

Hell, if you look at the back of the receipt, they say they honor the manufacturer's warranty (Nintendo's is one year).

-HM

Well, I just got back my DSL

They said it was gonna be replaced with a brand new one but all they did was change the faceplate. But its working great now and I dont hear a click when I open the screen.

I took mine back to EB wtih my warranty and he gave me a new one without even looking at the crack. I bought another warranty for the new one.

wow after all this time, I just realized my DS Lite from Launch Date has a crack on the left hinge. I requested a label from nintendo.com. anyone had luck from doing that instead of talking on the phone with the CS?

mine has it on both hinges :( and I just bought it like a month ago :(

edit: it's a black one and it looks like in theory I can take it back to walmart and exchange it for a new one

is it true this is only a cosmetic thing?

If I got the warranty from ebgames can I get a new DS (of any color I'd like) just for having the crack and no other problems?

I have a launch DSL and I noticed that it had the dreaded hinge crack, but I thought nothing of it as it was very small and didn't affect the unit in any way.

Well, checking it out again after a few months, it appears to have grown wider.

I'll be calling Nintendo's customer service about it when I get off of work later today.

I've got a pretty close to launch DS lite, and no cracks. (You can see seams where the plastic is molded of course, but not cracks.)

I've sent in my Lite a 2nd time to Nintendo because of defects (not cracks though). I've requested the free shipping label on their website and got it in a few days, all I know is that it was less than a week.

Sending the DS to Nintendo took abou two to three days, and at most Nintendo will probably take about at most five days to repair or replace the system, and a day or two to get it back (probably different for some of you, I live two hours away from New York).

Seems you guys wanted to know about that method, so this is my story.

[quote name='wubb']I still need to contact Nintendo and have mine fixed or replaced.

RaPtOrsIII - Did you get your label?[/quote]

got my label but i need to find a box..

think a 6x9 bubble mailer would do?

I just received my DS Lite back from sending it in for hinge repair. The outside of the top half of the DS has all kinds of hairline scratches on it. I kept mine in immaculate shape, so it was disappointing to get it back with all kinds of hairline scratches. I called and they're going to let me send it back again. If they can't get it right this time, I'm goign to demand a new unit.

[quote name='jeff0514']I just received my DS Lite back from sending it in for hinge repair. The outside of the top half of the DS has all kinds of hairline scratches on it. I kept mine in immaculate shape, so it was disappointing to get it back with all kinds of hairline scratches. I called and they're going to let me send it back again. If they can't get it right this time, I'm goign to demand a new unit.[/QUOTE]

I sent my ds fat in a few days ago after the hinge cracked :whistle2:O According to UPS, it arrived today at the NY repair shop. So what's the turn around time?

I just started to listen to cagcasts around #51 and started to go back and listen to the archived episodes. I got to cagcast #37 when they started to talk about hinge problems and checked my dsl that i got at launch since it was next to me and i found out it has a crack :whistle2:(

I remember looking for this when it was first reported and i thought i was lucky since there was no problem. oh well at least its still under warranty

[quote name='ITDEFX']I sent my ds fat in a few days ago after the hinge cracked :whistle2:O According to UPS, it arrived today at the NY repair shop. So what's the turn around time?[/quote]
See post #168. Which, by my count, is 3 above yours.

sent monday,and now got an e-mail scheduled delivery would be 1/15 (MLK's B-day) when I'll get my Ds Lite back.

checked ups tracking and it's already in my state
so about 1 week turnaround time.

Receive Date:

01/11/2007

Depot Rcvd
Ship Via:

Ship Date:

Tracking #:

Not Available

Component Description

Notes

Warranty

Amount

NINTENDO DS TITANIUM ASSY

Yes

$0.00
MISCELLANEOUS ITEM FOR RA

Yes

$0.00
MISCELLANEOUS ITEM FOR RA

Yes

$0.00

----
cut and pasted from my repair log. :p

I hope those two MISCELLANEOUS ITEM FOR RA aren't for tape/glue and white out :whistle2:(

I've had a dead pixel since I got my DSL, and a few weeks later I noticed the cracked hinge. It's been a few months since then, and the crack has grown very, very wide. I'm going to send in my DS soon to Nintendo. I really hope they figure this shit out before my year warranty runs out.

I Wonder what causes that crack to occur in the same spot and not spread to the other side of the hinge? I really hope they can fix that dead red pixel cause its driving me nuts :(

i noticed yesterday minez cracked up on the left side.... and i was wondering how long does it take if you send it to nintendo for repairs? (...for those of you that sent it in already)

[quote name='anarchyburger']i noticed yesterday minez cracked up on the left side.... and i was wondering how long does it take if you send it to nintendo for repairs? (...for those of you that sent it in already)[/quote]

don't u people ever read?

got mine today, exchanged with no crack although they checked off the "we could not duplicate the problem you have been experiencing"

so sent last monday, and arrived exactly 1 week later on a monday

[quote name='RaPtOrsIII']don't u people ever read?

got mine today, exchanged with no crack although they checked off the "we could not duplicate the problem you have been experiencing"

so sent last monday, and arrived exactly 1 week later on a monday[/QUOTE]

i just love Nintendo's excellent CS! I sent my in last week and bam, got an email today saying they sent it back and its should be here by tomorrow. No word if they fixed it or replaced it, but judging by the serial they put on it, I think its the original :| but oh well I will be glad to have it back!

just got it back this afternoon just as I came back from work :)

Anyways, they unstuck that dead pixel on the touch screen :)

However now there is a small hairline crack near the right speaker :( and the top screen feels loose when you move it, like if you move it side to side.

For some strange reason they sent me this notice saying that my product is unlicensed, but they fixed it anyways. They included an extra stylist and the same strap(they took it off) but they never gave me a new one. hmm..

oh well its fixed.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What does that mean it's "unlicensed"? That makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either

unlicensed.jpg

the bag had a standard stylist. maybe I accidentally included a 3rd party stylist in the holder in the ds.. maybe that's why they gave me another stylist...but what the hell they pretty much look the same.

Now that you mention it, my DSL has a stuck pixel in the top screen about 1 inch from the right side, close to the center of the screen.

I bought this at circuit city after th holidays (had to order it.) but would they replace it for free? might have lost the reciept.......

[quote name='Metalfan036']Now that you mention it, my DSL has a stuck pixel in the top screen about 1 inch from the right side, close to the center of the screen.

I bought this at circuit city after th holidays (had to order it.) but would they replace it for free? might have lost the reciept.......[/QUOTE]

yea, make sure you registered it and check the nintendo warrenty web site. I would wait til the hinge cracks before sending it off. A stuck pixel is not as bad as a hinge crack.

my brothers dslite not only has cracked hinges but also some small cracks between where the game slot and the shoulder button. I'm going to tell him to send it in using the online form.

I bought my DS Lite about a week before launch (thanks, Target) and it lasted quite a while until it cracked a couple weeks ago.

Luckily I just went to the Nintendo site and signed up for a return label, packed it up, and shipped it off... it was that easy.

The instructions were clear to send the system alone, so I took out the stylus and slot cover, and I got a new system the same way. Luckily it has 0 dead pixels... 1 less than my previous system. Nice.

By the way, the picture in the previous post... that's just a cheap 3rd party stylus. That's why they sent it back to you with that warning sticker on the bag. Some companies make accessories for Nintendo, and Nintendo oversees their quality, and gives them a license and a seal of quality. Stuff that isn't licensed tends to be low quality in my experience.

Although the stylus just looks like a piece of plastic (and it is), it's important that the tip is smooth and won't scratch when dragged across the screen. Some cheap 3rd party replacement styli for PDAs have that problem, I'm sure the DS is the same way.

I just got my DS back from Nintendo today. This was a really quick turn around as I shipped it out to them exactly one week ago (01/16 - 01/23.)

I haven't tried a game yet, but I did have to re-enter all of my personal information like when you first set it up.

GODDAMN!

i love nintendo's customer support! i just sent in my ds lite this past friday (1/26) to repair a cracked hinge and i just got it back today (1/30) :D

talk about high quality customer support!

haha beat that microsoft and sony :lol:

I noticed about a week ago that my launch Lite has a cracked hinge on the left side. :cry: I haven't sent mine in yet since I've been using it a lot more lately, but I'm definitely sending it in before the warranty expires.

I just sent back my 2nd lite, since launch. The 2nd was only 3 weeks old. I treated both like they were eggs.

My son who bought one at launch too, carries his in his school bag, has dropped it etc, has never had a hinge crack.

This second time, I phoned CS, they said now no longer consider the hinge crack a manufacturing defect, but misuse. I really had to plead my case with him. Just be warned.

I don't know how they could consider it misuse, when it seems that it is almost random when it happens.

I love my DS, but is nowhere near as robust as any of the other Nintendo handhelds. My GBA SP fell down an escalator, and was fine.

Aaahhh, the beauty of Chinese manufacturing.

~S

I bet it's because for the first time they're focusing on style over the design of the hardware on the DS Lite and Wii.

I hate to bump this old topic, but my DS Lite just developed a crack after a year of use, and Nintendo is repairing/replacing it for free. I hope it's the same unit just with a new casing, as I had great quality screens.

Is there a difference in screen qualities on the DS? I thought they all used the same? (At least functionally.)

bread's done
Back