DSi Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='foltzie']Depends on how one defines launch game. Wario Ware: (Whatever) is available at launch from the DS Ware store and it uses the camera for some of the games.[/quote]

Funny I watched released day video at 1up and it showed only the browser as being available to download. Are you sure Wario Ware came out on release day or few days after?

[quote name='foltzie']Depends on how one defines launch game. Wario Ware: (Whatever) is available at launch from the DS Ware store and it uses the camera for some of the games.[/QUOTE]

Utsusu! Made In Wario (Warioware Filmed!) is set for release on the launch of the DSiWare store in December, not for the DSi's launch.

A bit late to the party...but I'm totally into this if it can play my already purchased VC games with little problems. I dont play GBA games anymore and dont really need that slot.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Utsusu! Made In Wario (Warioware Filmed!) is set for release on the launch of the DSiWare store in December, not for the DSi's launch.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, and confused.

[quote name='foltzie']I stand corrected, and confused.[/QUOTE]

Why the confusion?

He's saying the thing that you thought the thing had isn't the thing the thing had, and thus your thoughts on the thing were wrong. Now if you had thought differently about the thing on the thing that the thing has, the thoughts you thought and thought you thought about the thing would be correct, as would the thoughts you thought with the thing on the thing that the thing has for the thing. Basically, the thing has the thing that you thought, but it's not the thing you thought, but only a thing of the thing you thought, and won't be the thing you thought until the thing has the thing next month.

That wasn't so hard.

[quote name='Strell']Why the confusion?

He's saying the thing that you thought the thing had isn't the thing the thing had, and thus your thoughts on the thing were wrong. Now if you had thought differently about the thing on the thing that the thing has, the thoughts you thought and thought you thought about the thing would be correct, as would the thoughts you thought with the thing on the thing that the thing has for the thing. Basically, the thing has the thing that you thought, but it's not the thing you thought, but only a thing of the thing you thought, and won't be the thing you thought until the thing has the thing next month.

That wasn't so hard.[/quote]
I totally get it now.

Basically it's got stuff with other stuff that has the stuff featuring other stuff, but not exactly the stuff he thought the stuff was, therefore it's different stuff that has something of the stuff he was thinking of but not all the stuff of the stuff he thought of, right?

For those parties interested in the topic, the protection is broken. The time frame is a little shorter than I initially anticipated for this hardware.

For various reasons, I don't think I will trade-in my DS-Lite for this version. But, if there was a good promotion, then I would be tempted to get it.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
Basically it's got stuff with other stuff that has the stuff featuring other stuff, but not exactly the stuff he thought the stuff was, therefore it's different stuff that has something of the stuff he was thinking of but not all the stuff of the stuff he thought of, right?[/QUOTE]

We don't need to bring stuff into this. Stuff is not thing. Thing is not stuff.

[quote name='Strell']We don't need to bring stuff into this. Stuff is not thing. Thing is not stuff.[/quote]
The thing about the stuff is that the stuff is the thing because stuff encompasses things about the thoughts of the things that he thought.

[quote name='opportunity777']For those parties interested in the topic, the protection is broken. The time frame is a little shorter than I initially anticipated for this hardware.

For various reasons, I don't think I will trade-in my DS-Lite for this version. But, if there was a good promotion, then I would be tempted to get it.[/QUOTE]

for all we know it could be someone with an animated gif. Plus this early also means nintendo might got time to patch up the US version.

[quote name='62t']for all we know it could be someone with an animated gif. Plus this early also means nintendo might got time to patch up the US version.[/QUOTE]

The "someone" is a person who has done significant work on the DS in the past, so he is not some random person e-chest-thumping for some attention.

Nintendo may or may not patch it. Even so, it won't matter for the first batch of DSi's. I am not going to write in detail why this is the case. You can Google it.

At this point, the only realistic way of closing the loophole is a hardware revision. Nintendo may tinker with the hardware before the DSi hits US shores, but I doubt it.

Either way, as a former software engineer in my younger years, I am always interested in this type of stuff.

Wow - the browser is still a complete bust. I thought this thing had faster wireless? If they are trying to push this a competition for the iPod Touch, they are going to have a tough time. I wish somebody would check to see, however, if the browser can be used to login at Starbucks and similar WiFi services that require a web-page login, for the purpose of playing a DS game over the internet. I.e. bring up the browser and login, then load a DS game and connect it to Nintendo WiFi. If it can do that, then it will have a use.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wish somebody would check to see, however, if the browser can be used to login at Starbucks and similar WiFi services that require a web-page login, for the purpose of playing a DS game over the internet. I.e. bring up the browser and login, then load a DS game and connect it to Nintendo WiFi. If it can do that, then it will have a use.[/QUOTE]

This is Nintendo you are talking about. The chances of what you ask being true is less than zero. Hell, I'm surprised they don't require websites to exchange friend codes before allowing you to visit.

[quote name='Zing']This is Nintendo you are talking about. The chances of what you ask being true is less than zero. Hell, I'm surprised they don't require websites to exchange friend codes before allowing you to visit.[/QUOTE]

De dee deet deet deee deeee
quagmireOH.jpg

So there's speculation at the moment that the processor is indeed stronger.

Along with improved audio, this might account for the diminished battery life.

Not sure what I think about all that, but at the moment it seems like a wasted opportunity. Again, seriously, if the PSP could exist in 2005, I'd really love to think Nintendo could be thinking about an honest DS2 with comparable graphics by now. If Sony can figure it out, surely the doods with 20 years of handheld experience could by now, right?

Granted I guess this all remains to be seen with how well Nintendo tries to label the DSi a second third pillar, since that's what the DS originally started out as, and that they'd be happy if it reached 10% of the GBA's audience. Since it's readily replaced it as the new handheld of choice, I guess Nintendo wants to have A) a home console, B) a more dedicated gaming handheld, and C) a more iPhone/media/hipster handheld.

I guess we'll see how well it does or doesn't work in a few years.

I think this is just kind of a stop gap device to keep sales up longer, and when the DS2 comes out it will be a combination of your B and C.

From what I've read perhaps now would not be the best time to get one of these. I've never been much of a fan of handhelds in the first place, though, but I was really hoping the DS would have changed that.

Oh, and I'm a poor college student.

Also, does anyone know if there's an SD card size limit?

Yeah, probably not the best time for you. If you're budget's tight, no sense in paying inflated import costs.

Wait for it to come out here and you can buy it cheaper. Or you may decide you just need a DS Lite and there may be a price drop on it after the DSi comes out. But don't hold your breath as Nintendo is very slow with price drops usually.

I am playing with a DSi right now, and I was reading about the possibility that some old DS games may not work on it.

I think I've found one.
Metroid Prime: Hunters, probably one of the best and most polished games on the DS, has crashed on my repeatedly while running on a DSi.

Nintendo, quality control please.

[quote name='Strell']Not sure what I think about all that, but at the moment it seems like a wasted opportunity. Again, seriously, if the PSP could exist in 2005, I'd really love to think Nintendo could be thinking about an honest DS2 with comparable graphics by now. If Sony can figure it out, surely the doods with 20 years of handheld experience could by now, right?

Granted I guess this all remains to be seen with how well Nintendo tries to label the DSi a second third pillar, since that's what the DS originally started out as, and that they'd be happy if it reached 10% of the GBA's audience. Since it's readily replaced it as the new handheld of choice, I guess Nintendo wants to have A) a home console, B) a more dedicated gaming handheld, and C) a more iPhone/media/hipster handheld.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking about all that "third pillar" talk the other day. I've never been a fan of the whole touch screen thing but love Nintendo handheld gaming: I want a new Gameboy, I want it soon.

[quote name='Koggit']Yeah, I was thinking about all that "third pillar" talk the other day. I've never been a fan of the whole touch screen thing but love Nintendo handheld gaming: I want a new Gameboy, I want it soon.[/QUOTE]

The DS has become the new Gameboy, for better or worse.

I think mostly for the better. Now that Nintendo isnt forcing use of the touch screen, games can be created that dont needlessly shoehorn that function into the game.

In either event, its probably safe to assume that Nintendo has a newer chipset in the works that may come out in a few years once the DSi starts to slow and battery consumption for the newer chipset is at an acceptable level.

It's not just the touching I dislike, the dual screen is dumb too.. I guess if the entire top part was screen then a small screen between the d-pad and buttons for a map or whatever would be fine, but two equal sized screens doesn't work well... I can't think of a single game in which I thought "oh wow I'm sure glad there's two screens" but all the god damned time I'm seeing a screen be wasted, or even worse hindering the experience when devs think it's a good idea to split a continuous image among the two screens

I just want a gameboy, no gimmicks

Well they haven't actually announced that gameboy games would be released on the service have they? And they've already announced that some of them would be free. So he's wrong, but not where you think.

[quote name='Koggit']It's not just the touching I dislike, the dual screen is dumb too.. I guess if the entire top part was screen then a small screen between the d-pad and buttons for a map or whatever would be fine, but two equal sized screens doesn't work well... I can't think of a single game in which I thought "oh wow I'm sure glad there's two screens" but all the god damned time I'm seeing a screen be wasted, or even worse hindering the experience when devs think it's a good idea to split a continuous image among the two screens

I just want a gameboy, no gimmicks[/quote]

There are plenty of games that do it right... it would be fair to say that we have these better games because of it. I don't think many of the games would nearly be as great ( Zombie BBQ ) if it wasn't designed as such (2 screens & touch).

I need to know more about how these DSi VC type of things work out before I upgrade.

I don't think I will ever... dropping GBA support is still a major issue they shouldn't have crossed.

Camera is useless, bigger screens is nice, but for DS 2.0 not DSi.

So what on the SD slot, unless somehow lets us take our GBA with us... but I don't see that happening for free, at least not through Nintendo.

[quote name='Koggit']I just want a gameboy, no gimmicks[/QUOTE]

The GameBoy is dead, suck it up.

I too was along the same line of thought when we first heard word of the PSP/DS. I really wondered what the heck Nintendo was up to and thought the PSP was going to take over the handheld market due to how much more impressive the system looked. Can the duel screen really add any additional value, aside from being a huge gimmick?

Largely I was proved wrong, but I think its for the better in retrospect, and I'm glad I was proved wrong. Like there are games that don't utilize the duel screen at or, or very well for that matter, then there are games that utilize it in ways no one would ever expect and make the system so much better for it. Would the system have done as well had we just been introduced to a GameBoy touch? Maybe, but I strongly believe we would have been missing out on some of the more interesting and fun games this generation.

I can't however say I'm exactly thrilled about the lack of GBA slot since there's a few GBA games that never leave my side. I supposed I could always keep my DS around if I ever managed to pick up a DSi, but I don't like to entertain the thought of carrying two systems around either. I would enjoy it so much better if the new system and GBA slot were rolled up into one handheld.

bread's done
Back