DSi Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm coming around on the DSi. I've realized in a couple of years Gamestops everywhere will be desperate to clear out all their remaining used GBA inventory and doodads that might've used the GBA slot. That's when we CAGs will strike.

[quote name='foltzie']While interesting this isnt very feasible, the GBA slot would then be on the side of the system and the SD slot would become support for your hand. Would likely break the SD card.[/QUOTE]

No, the SD slot would only be the point of connection. For something big enough to handle GBA cards the correct approach would be adding a slab to the bottom of the DSi. This would allow the placement of the GBA slot to match earlier DS models and potentially allow items like the Guitar Hero input device to be supported. It would be similar to the slabs offered for the old iPaq PDAs for additional battery capacity and card slots.

[quote name='epobirs']No, the SD slot would only be the point of connection. For something big enough to handle GBA cards the correct approach would be adding a slab to the bottom of the DSi. This would allow the placement of the GBA slot to match earlier DS models and potentially allow items like the Guitar Hero input device to be supported. It would be similar to the slabs offered for the old iPaq PDAs for additional battery capacity and card slots.[/QUOTE]

Meaning it would still have to hook into the SD slot in some fasion or hook into the DS card slot and have a backup card slot. Neither is very feasible.

Not having a GBA slot is a deal breaker for me. I haven't seen but does anyone know if the DS Lite won't be available after this is released?

[quote name='deszaras']Not having a GBA slot is a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

I don't get why this is such a huge issue for many people here. Can't you guys just hold on to GBA or DS?

[quote name='laaj']I don't get why this is such a huge issue for many people here. Can't you guys just hold on to GBA or DS?[/quote]

It's because there are some awesome GBA games I play as often as I do DS games and I like the option of having one of each in the DS at the same time while I'm on campus. I still have my DS phat and would like the improved screen and reduced size of the Lite or the DSI, but not at the cost of options. Overall the DSI just isn't compelling enough to warrant worth purchasing to me.

[quote name='deszaras']It's because there are some awesome GBA games I play as often as I do DS games and I like the option of having one of each in the DS at the same time while I'm on campus. I still have my DS phat and would like the improved screen and reduced size of the Lite or the DSI, but not at the cost of options. Overall the DSI just isn't compelling enough to warrant worth purchasing to me.[/quote]
Pretty much the same gripe I have. I was impressed with all the stuff the DSi can do and the missing GBA slot made me go "Awww man"

I don't wanna lug around 2 DS'

[quote name='deszaras']It's because there are some awesome GBA games I play as often as I do DS games and I like the option of having one of each in the DS at the same time while I'm on campus. I still have my DS phat and would like the improved screen and reduced size of the Lite or the DSI, but not at the cost of options. Overall the DSI just isn't compelling enough to warrant worth purchasing to me.[/quote]

K, but you guys better get over it before next Nintendo portable after DSi. Nintendo has yet to bring backward compatibility after removing it. I'm more pissed off about lack of GB/GBC support on DS than lack of GBA on DSi.

[quote name='laaj']K, but you guys better get over it before next Nintendo portable after DSi. Nintendo has yet to bring backward compatibility after removing it. I'm more pissed off about lack of GB/GBC support on DS than lack of GBA on DSi.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but then there's the hope that the next handheld will be BC with DS games, so there's still a large catalog of games open for people.

My biggest problem with the lack of GBA port (aside from the fact that I enjoy a lot of GBA games) is the Pokemon series. I like being able to bring my monsters that I worked so hard for in the GBA games to my DS.

[quote name='laaj']K, but you guys better get over it before next Nintendo portable after DSi. Nintendo has yet to bring backward compatibility after removing it. I'm more pissed off about lack of GB/GBC support on DS than lack of GBA on DSi.[/quote]

Get over it? It's not like I'm crying, slicing my wrists(down not across) in my bathroom screaming "WHY NINTENDO WHYYYYY?" It's no loss of mine; they are releasing a product I have no reason to buy. If my phat dies, I'll pick up the lite. I was pissed about the lack of GB/GBC on the DS too but the DS offered enough of new features to consider it a new system and make it worth buying. The DSI is nothing but a minimal mod and I don't find any compelling reason to get the DSI.

[quote name='deszaras']The DSI is nothing but a minimal mod and I don't find any compelling reason to get the DSI.[/quote]

There's no compelling reason because there's no compelling DSi games yet. We'll forget all about this when must buy DSi exclusive games get released.

Just gives me an excuse to buy a micro :D

I can definitely see why you would find this would be a deal breaker.

I don't find it to be a big deal because I rarely replay a game after I beat it. Years ago I played through RPG's 5-10 times, now I have too many games and not enough time to play them all.

[quote name='foltzie']Meaning it would still have to hook into the SD slot in some fasion or hook into the DS card slot and have a backup card slot. Neither is very feasible.[/QUOTE]

In light of items such as the Guitar Hero DS control add-on, how can you say this? It is entirely doable.

[quote name='laaj']There's no compelling reason because there's no compelling DSi games yet. We'll forget all about this when must buy DSi exclusive games get released.[/QUOTE]

With the huge DS/DS Lite user base out there I'd be shocked if we ever see any major DSi exclusives.

They'd be missing too much of the user base to put any big release DSi exclusive. Maybe Nintendo will do something, but it's been so long since they made a DS games I gave a crap about that I'm sure I can do without it. And I still couldn't see them doing something like a major Mario or Zelda game as a DSi exclusive.

At most there will be some exclusive, simple download games on par with XBLA type of titles. I can do without, I barely tough my DS these days as is and wouldn't replace it if it broke.

[quote name='dmaul1114']At most there will be some exclusive, simple download games on par with XBLA type of titles. I can do without, I barely tough my DS these days as is and wouldn't replace it if it broke.[/QUOTE]

Of course there will be DSi exclusives, otherwise there is little point in making the DSi. DSi exclusives will most likely all be downloadable games, not cartridges, but they aren't limited to VC and lesser games like on the Wii - full DS games are tiny and can easily and quickly be downloaded (much to the chagrin of Nintendo) and DSi exclusive games could be substantially larger then the largest DS games and still be completely viable as downloads. Downloads are the obvious way to go since Nintendo will be in complete control of such a store, like Apple is with iTunes and the AppStore. Nintendo will make tons of cash from such games since they won't have to give anything to retailers for the games, only the hardware, so there will be tremendous incentive to not only have DSi exclusives, but in fact to tip the balance in favor of the DSi and phase out the DS Lite.

[quote name='crunchewy']Of course there will be DSi exclusives, otherwise there is little point in making the DSi. DSi exclusives will most likely all be downloadable games, not cartridges, but they aren't limited to VC and lesser games like on the Wii - full DS games are tiny and can easily and quickly be downloaded (much to the chagrin of Nintendo) and DSi exclusive games could be substantially larger then the largest DS games and still be completely viable as downloads.[/quote]

I hope you're wrong about DSi games being only downloadables. I still play games from 15-20 years ago and with DL games you can't do that. Is more like leasing a game since when the console that's linked to the file fails you can't ever play that game again. There's no true sense of ownership of a game. Nintendo will likely drop any support for DSi downloaded games and shutdown the servers soon after DSi replacement get released.

[quote name='laaj']I hope you're wrong about DSi games being only downloadables. I still play games from 15-20 years ago and with DL games you can't do that. Is more like leasing a game since when the console that's linked to the file fails you can't ever play that game again. There's no true sense of ownership of a game. Nintendo will likely drop any support for DSi downloaded games and shutdown the servers soon after DSi replacement get released.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. Is it true that on the Wii if your console gives up the ghost you are screwed on all your download games and have to rebuy them? I had read that, but am not sure if it is true. It definitely does give pause. Hopefully they'll address this issue for the DSi (and Wii). Otherwise I can't see buying a DSi. The games ought to be tied to your account, not the console (or better, not have DRM, but that's not going to happen). If you get a new DSi (or Wii) you should be able to install your existing apps to it.

Apple's AppStore allows you to install your apps on up to some number of iPods/iPhones and the authorizations can be reset if you use up all your slots. Still, installing applications is dependent on Apple continuing to provide such authorizations. If they decide to pull the plug on the authorization servers some day, you are screwed when it comes to installing apps you have on new/replacement devices, though existing installs/devices would still work as long as the device does.

[quote name='crunchewy']Of course there will be DSi exclusives, otherwise there is little point in making the DSi. DSi exclusives will most likely all be downloadable games, not cartridges, but they aren't limited to VC and lesser games like on the Wii - full DS games are tiny and can easily and quickly be downloaded (much to the chagrin of Nintendo) and DSi exclusive games could be substantially larger then the largest DS games and still be completely viable as downloads. Downloads are the obvious way to go since Nintendo will be in complete control of such a store, like Apple is with iTunes and the AppStore. Nintendo will make tons of cash from such games since they won't have to give anything to retailers for the games, only the hardware, so there will be tremendous incentive to not only have DSi exclusives, but in fact to tip the balance in favor of the DSi and phase out the DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

We'll see.

There was no point to the GBA Micro either. Nintendo just likes to sell useless redesigns to their fans. Maybe their will be substantive download games, but I'm not holding my breat. I haven't seen anything very worthwhile on the iPhone/iPod Touch yet. And I refuse to buy download games. I've still never bought an MP3. I like owning a physical product, especially with games since I resell the vast majority after seeing the credits roll.

They'd be stupid not to focus most of their efforts on regular DS cartridge games as the DSi will never have near the user base of the DS and DS lite. Not enough people will upgrade, and it's life will probably be cut short by a true successor to the DS in couple of years.

It's all moot for me, I'm done with Nintendo and will never buy another of their consoles or portables....though to be fair I'll probably never buy another portable period.

[quote name='Cao Cao']A spec sheet scan posted over at NeoGAF may reveal some unannounced features, namely support for WPA and SDHC:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13426308&postcount=1[/quote]

Nintendo will only be adding half-assed WPA/WPA2 support. Older titles will be limited to WEP even on DSi. Which doesn't even make sense since all the network settings are handled by the system and not the cart. It's like saying Safari/IE/FF can't use WPA2 since it only supports WEP.

[quote name='laaj']Nintendo will only be adding half-assed WPA/WPA2 support. Older titles will be limited to WEP even on DSi. Which doesn't even make sense since all the network settings are handled by the system and not the cart. It's like saying Safari/IE/FF can't use WPA2 since it only supports WEP.[/QUOTE]

You're right that that doesn't make any sense. What's your source?

[quote name='laaj']Nintendo will only be adding half-assed WPA/WPA2 support. Older titles will be limited to WEP even on DSi. Which doesn't even make sense since all the network settings are handled by the system and not the cart. It's like saying Safari/IE/FF can't use WPA2 since it only supports WEP.[/QUOTE]

All of the network settings are handled by the games themselves. If older games weren't (and they aren't) designed to use WPA compatible hardware they'll only be able to use WEP.

This isn't a surprise as the WEP issue has been one of largest headaches with the DS.

[quote name='foltzie']All of the network settings are handled by the games themselves.[/quote]

Then how to explain one DS game accessing wi-fi login set up by another game?

[quote name='laaj']Then how to explain one DS game accessing wi-fi login set up by another game?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen that with my DS. I would be pleasantly surprised if it worked.

[quote name='foltzie']I haven't seen that with my DS. I would be pleasantly surprised if it worked.[/quote]

Huh? So you have to select your router and enter the password for every new DS game you play? If cart handled the wi-fi code, MAC address would change for every different game but it doesn't. And developer would have to pay the wi-fi licensing fee for every bit of wi-fi code they use.

According to GBATemp, it looks like some people in Japan and Hong Kong have gotten their hands on a DSi already. There's some miserable, no-good, not very nice news about the DSi that came out of them, for importers and for CheapyD. The news is, in short, very, very bad.

According to a poster from the Chinese language hacken forums: The firmware of the Japanese DSi is only in Japanese. No language settings, from the looks of it.

[quote name='Cao Cao']According to GBATemp, it looks like some people in Japan and Hong Kong have gotten their hands on a DSi already. There's some miserable, no-good, not very nice news about the DSi that came out of them, for importers and for CheapyD. The news is, in short, very, very bad.

According to a poster from the Chinese language hacken forums: The firmware of the Japanese DSi is only in Japanese. No language settings, from the looks of it.[/quote]

Anything more? I don't agree that Japanese only = bad. They could always add international support to future DSi shipments.

[quote name='laaj']Anything more? I don't agree that Japanese only = bad. They could always add international support to future DSi shipments.[/QUOTE]

For importers who were assuming that it would include an English language option like the DS and DS Lite did it would be a bad news item, especially with the high import prices for the DSi right now. Granted, I doubt that the menu is very difficult to navigate, but it would still be an annoyance when compared to its predecessors.

[quote name='laaj']Then how to explain one DS game accessing wi-fi login set up by another game?[/QUOTE]

The DS system stores the wifi info, but does not handle the transmission. Basically, each game has it's own networking implementation, based off the standard DS programming API. This is why the games "copy" the wifi info from your system the first time you go online with a particular game.

It's annoying because my router supports a hybrid ("transitional") method of wifi security which allows me to use WPA on my WPA hardware and WEP with my WEP hardware (only the DS of course). However only about half of my DS games work with it. Games like Picross work fine, but Tetris DS do not. This is due to the different versions of the DS development kit being used for different games.

The interesting part about the specs is that the screen resolutions are the same. This is odd since all of the pre-release info and mockups clearly show the new system having a higher resolution (it shows DS games having a black border around the edge).

This is frustrating. I was going to upgrade my original DS to the DSi by importing (through family who is going to Asia in the next two months). But if there is no way to change the language option to English, I am seriously reconsidering importing. No point for me to get a DSi that I can't read and not be able to use most of the functions.

I'm still getting a DSi, but now the question is do I wait one month, or do I wait well into next year?

Nintendo is really giving those people who want to import a kick in the nuts. How hard could it be for them to add English support to it? If Nintendo was smart they would've released it right before the holidays in the US, and if they were really smart they would bundle it with Pokemon Platinum.

[quote name='JMEPO']Nintendo is really giving those people who want to import a kick in the nuts. How hard could it be for them to add English support to it? If Nintendo was smart they would've released it right before the holidays in the US, and if they were really smart they would bundle it with Pokemon Platinum.[/QUOTE]

They dont have to do that cause they know pokemon will sell like gangbuster no matter when it is release.

[quote name='laaj']DSi could be the only console ever released without a launch game.[/QUOTE]

forgot about DS Lite?

[quote name='62t']forgot about DS Lite?[/quote]

DS Lite could play games DS could not?

[quote name='Jayayess1190']Hands on videos:
[/quote]

Wow, that guy in the background on video 1 was annoying as fuck.

I don't know, I'm not feeling the DSi. Usually when a new incarnation of something I own comes out, I'm immediately drooling...but not so much. It looks far less sexy than the old one. It's noticeably larger, that fugly camera eye on the outside, the matte finish...

I think I'm in the "pass" camp.

I see the DSLite as a revision of a previous model (similar to the PS2 Slim). It wasn't a new console, and already had a huge library of DS games.

The DSi launches alone.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Did I miss something[/quote]

Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='laaj']DSi could be the only console ever released without a launch game.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how one defines launch game. Wario Ware: (Whatever) is available at launch from the DS Ware store and it uses the camera for some of the games.

bread's done
Back