DSi Gen. Discussion & Info

i just bought a few parts to fix my kids' DS and now they announce this?! definitely a downgrade by taking away the GBA slot.

the SD slot is probably accessed only through music and camera features only. they've successfully done this on cellphones in the past where theyve added a memory slot but no access through any other features on the phone so you wont be able to load your own ringtones and games since they want you to buy them. but if its only software locked, then its only a matter of time until someone breaks that code.

[quote name='Gameboy415']

Also, my friend asked me a very troubling question earlier...

What if your DSi is stolen/lost?? Are you just SOL and have to re-buy any downloaded games or will there be some registration system in place? (like linking a DSi to a Wii for example)[/quote]

oh good nightmare... if it's like the Wii, it stays with the hardware, but if they do it like STEAM, you can just visit the site , log in, download and play on any device.

BUT, this could be easy to "share" games if it's download play offline. I would assume that they would have to restrict it else we'll have copies for free flying everywhere... and where are they going to be stored, on the SD I bet, no internal storage.

This is going to be a good reason to upgrade, a plenthoria of free gaming on the go... worse than the PSP ever could dream....

My thoughs:

1) Wish it wasn't so expensive
2) Don't need cameras, wish there was a model without it.
3) can't justify the price, and drop out a GBA port...

4) Concern about games coming out ONLY for the DSi which would be retarded.... this should be just a model improvement and not a whole new console.

I rather like the look and sound of the new DSi, but it has a functionality in it I wish were better. The addition of a .3 MP camera is a disappointment, really, as the quality is going to be too terrible for me to cope with. I know I'm in the minority, but I like to develop all the pictures I take, be they on my cell phone or 5 MP camera. Heck, when I upgraded my cell earlier this year, I chose a higher end model with a 2MP camera, just because pictures are important to me. Going back to a .3 camera, which is pretty much the same quality as the lowest of the lower end cell phones -- I can't do that. Will I fiddle with it when I get it? Sure, but it'll never be anything more than a play thing. If Nintendo had really wanted to create a multimedia jaugernaut, it would have made the DSi a beast, and honestly, it doesn't deliver in that capacity.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I rather like the look and sound of the new DSi, but it has a functionality in it I wish were better. The addition of a .3 MP camera is a disappointment, really, as the quality is going to be too terrible for me to cope with. I know I'm in the minority, but I like to develop all the pictures I take, be they on my cell phone or 5 MP camera. Heck, when I upgraded my cell earlier this year, I chose a higher end model with a 2MP camera, just because pictures are important to me. Going back to a .3 camera, which is pretty much the same quality as the lowest of the lower end cell phones -- I can't do that. Will I fiddle with it when I get it? Sure, but it'll never be anything more than a play thing. If Nintendo had really wanted to create a multimedia jaugernaut, it would have made the DSi a beast, and honestly, it doesn't deliver in that capacity.[/quote]

Before we start on the .3MP train of hate...

This thing has TWO (2) CAMERAS

There is one on the outside, which is reported as 3MP...

There is one on the inside, which is reported as .3MP

I think the 3MP is for pictures, and the .3MP is for webcam-y stuff... gimicky games and the such.

So I'm more than happy with a 3MP camera, doesn't take super great photos but good enough to keep for sure... better than a cellphone camera.

If this thing can run the same Virtual Console games my Wii can (i.e. I don't have to repurchase them), I might be willing to give it a shot. I'd also consider it if it could handle GB, GBC, and GBA games, though I've still got my GBA and the original cartridges, so that wouldn't be the sole thing I'd base my decision off of.

Beyond that, though, it looks like the actual gaming hardware is going to be pretty much the same, and I couldn't justify the cost for that. I've got a camera and MP3 player already, so why spend more for a new DS when I don't need any of the new features? :whistle2:k

[quote name='j.elles']ok some people have apparently looked at some screenshots of Valkerie Profile and are saying this new DSi has a higher resolution. If this is true then all DS games will look better on this new system. Very iffy though. Rumor as of now.[/QUOTE]

Explain to me how that's going to work - if you upscale something designed for a device with a fixed resolution, isn't it going to come out looking blurry or pixelated?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Explain to me how that's going to work - if you upscale something designed for a device with a fixed resolution, isn't it going to come out looking blurry or pixelated?[/quote]

That makes me wonder if the DSi will have games that will support it, and all of the original DS games will be upscaled, and thus badly imaged/played.

This creates the DSi as a whole new console which is what I would think the big N wouldn't want... silly move if so.

We need a US info release to back all this up.

[quote name='xycury']That makes me wonder if the DSi will have games that will support it, and all of the original DS games will be upscaled, and thus badly imaged/played.

This creates the DSi as a whole new console which is what I would think the big N wouldn't want... silly move if so.

We need a US info release to back all this up.[/QUOTE]

One alternative would be to just not upscale the old DS games and have widescreen-style letterboxing around the edges. They did it for the GBA SP, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it again here. Beyond that, though, I don't see how this is going to work - I doubt Nintendo's been telling people to design games with the potential for graphical upscaling (they've never changed the resolution on a handheld console midstream), and with limited space on a game's card, I doubt that anyone would have designed for something that might possibly MAYBE happen in the future.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it right now.

I also think that would wreak havoc with the touch screen sensitivity for old games, but that's another thing entirely.

[quote name='jd302426']no GBA slot=FAIL[/quote]

I have to agree with that.

I'll stick with my DS Lite. I have to be able to play Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion on the go, in addition to other awesome GBA games.

[quote name='mykevermin']This just isn't for me.[/quote]

Yep.

If they had decided to put original Gameboy and Gameboy Color support back into the DSi I'd have been all over it.

To be honest, I am getting a little tired of Nintendo having better/newer systems for their handhelds coming out every year or so. The Gameboy had three versions (if you count GBC), the GBA had four different versions, and now the DS has three. It isn't like a remodel like the PS One or PS2, there are siginificant differences/improvements in the Nintendo stuff and it's impractical to expect people to keep buying these revisions all the time.

So... everyone noticed how Nintendo went super sleek and bright white with the DS, and made instant comparisons to Apple - there were even rumors that they were merging.

So now we have a bigger, bright white DS and a lower case 'i' is even in the name of the device? WTF?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']If this thing can run the same Virtual Console games my Wii can (i.e. I don't have to repurchase them), I might be willing to give it a shot. I'd also consider it if it could handle GB, GBC, and GBA games, though I've still got my GBA and the original cartridges, so that wouldn't be the sole thing I'd base my decision off of.

Beyond that, though, it looks like the actual gaming hardware is going to be pretty much the same, and I couldn't justify the cost for that. I've got a camera and MP3 player already, so why spend more for a new DS when I don't need any of the new features? :whistle2:k[/quote]

Yeah, you're paying $50 for mp3s and a camera, neither of which I'd be using. Bigger screens aren't worth the $50 alone, so it's up to the downloadable software to see if this could even possibly be worth the upgrade.

Oh, and no GBA slot = lame. I actually love my rumble pack and the few games that support it, and it's nice to have one system with multiple options if you want to play a GBA game but not bring a whole other portable system.

Ironically, games like Guitar Hero even manage to support the Phatty with their peripherals, and now a DS is coming out which isn't compatible with it at all?

I see no issues with teh revision. The ds is selling strong and this will keep it doing so for the next 2-3 years.

Dont upgrade then, its that simple.

[quote name='johnnypark']
Oh, and no GBA slot = lame. I actually love my rumble pack and the few games that support it, and it's nice to have one system with multiple options if you want to play a GBA game but not bring a whole other portable system.

Ironically, games like Guitar Hero even manage to support the Phatty with their peripherals, and now a DS is coming out which isn't compatible with it at all?[/quote]

With no gba slot people who get pokemon diamond, pearl, and platinum will also be out since inorder to transfer pokemon from the gba games you need a gba slot unless they will have some type of fix for that..

The DSi sounds interesting, but I'll keep my DS and DSlites for the gba support and I'll wait for a game that works only on DSi that I like to get the system or if they'res a nice limited edition one anytime soon...

DSFanboy is reporting the DSi will not hit the USA till late 2009 -
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/get-ready-to-import-dsi-not-to-reach-north-america-until-well/

[quote name='xycury']Before we start on the .3MP train of hate...

This thing has TWO (2) CAMERAS

There is one on the outside, which is reported as 3MP...

There is one on the inside, which is reported as .3MP

I think the 3MP is for pictures, and the .3MP is for webcam-y stuff... gimicky games and the such.

So I'm more than happy with a 3MP camera, doesn't take super great photos but good enough to keep for sure... better than a cellphone camera.[/quote]

I am not seeing anything about a 3mp camera - I see a VGA camera and a .3mp
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-nintendo-dsi/
Comes with an external 0.3 Megapixel camera (for 640 x 480 pixel pictures) and a VGA camera located on the hinge, directed towards the user. You'll be able to edit pictures using the touchscreen.

And people are talking about both screens being touchscreen - I am not seeing anything about that anywhere. Is this true or not?

I don't give a shit about music or a camera, and I need my GBA games. So fuck this gimmick. They should have just made a new system. The DS is getting kind of old, even though the games still look great.

with no GBA slot i guess Guitar Hero Tour won;t be used on this system kinda of stupid if you ask me cause they now killed a small but good precentage of users.

In regards to the SD slot i doubt piracy will be done through it as the command to launch app may only be sent through the game slot and with the SD slot it may just act as a memory slot for other functions. I doubt Nintendo is that stupid were they will give a input option without hardware wise blocking it. with all that has happened in the past with the DS on the side of piracy.

this seems a little silly, but the temptation of vc games on the go is pretty nice. but knowing nintendo i wont be able to transfer ones on my wii to the dsi, ill probably have to pay for them again, if thats the case then count me out.

I have seen no mention of the larger screens' resolution or that they even have a higher resolution. I assume they just have the same resolution the DS has always had, just with larger pixels.

The best thing about this new hardware is no sliding volume control right where my hand goes. Goddamn that annoys the hell out of me on the DS Lite. I will be playing a game and accidentally slide the volume to min or max.

Where the hell is the volume control on this thing?

[quote name='meerkatgamer']With no gba slot people who get pokemon diamond, pearl, and platinum will also be out since inorder to transfer pokemon from the gba games you need a gba slot unless they will have some type of fix for that.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why this matters. The Wii has no ability to connect to a GBA to do things like link up with Metroid Fusion or play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. People who want to do that just play on a Gamecube or ignore that feature. People who want to transfer Pokemon can just use a DS/DSLite or ignore that feature.

[quote name='fuss']DSFanboy is reporting the DSi will not hit the USA till late 2009 -
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/get-ready-to-import-dsi-not-to-reach-north-america-until-well/

I am not seeing anything about a 3mp camera - I see a VGA camera and a .3mp
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-nintendo-dsi/

And people are talking about both screens being touchscreen - I am not seeing anything about that anywhere. Is this true or not?[/quote]

That would be awful if it is .3 and not 3...

I think most cellphones are .6 to 2 range... this is pathetic.

What is big N doing... this is awful crapware.... forget shovelware... this hardware fits NO user base what so ever.

-No backwards compatibility
-Crappy camera
-costs much more than regular

if they decide to make the games not operational on a DS lite, then.... this just fails... hard.

Only thing I'd have to see is if the VC content is either transferable or better than what is right now.

I would hate to buy GB/GBC/GBA games to play on the DSi that I already own but could see the usefulness since there isn't a GBA slot and GB/GBC could never be played on a DS naturally.

Completely, and utterly useless for me. No interest in non-gaming features, download games, or Wii sharing stuff since I ditched that console. I also use the GBA slot.

Oh well, I'm perferctly happy with my Lite, and with the little I've played my DS since late 2006 I doubt anything could have gotten me to upgrade again anyway.

How much (roughly) is it going it cost? I'm going to wait until I see more game footage before saying anything though

[quote name='StinkyCheese']How much will it cost? I cna tseem to find it. I'm going to wait until I see more game fottage before saying anything though[/QUOTE]

Approx. $180 in Japan.

One camera is 3MP, the other .3MP. The .3MP camera will mainly function as a webcam or peripheral to DS games. 3MPs isn't bad considering the iPhone's camera is 2MP.
[quote name='laaj']Not really since all the DLC will have DRM. Or else one person can purchase the DLC and upload it to the web for all to download.[/QUOTE]
That's not really what I meant by piracy. What I meant was using the SD card slot to their advantage and hacking the firmware. Not to mention I think they said it has onboard memory. I don't even think DRM would even be an issue to pirates and it would moreover be an issue to a consumer.

You have to remember that, I believe, someone said that Nintendo was making a new DS to compete with the iPhone. I think will DSWare, basically an app store, and with an SD slot, it might actually be able to compete with the iPhone.. just minus the phone.

My only beef is that they released a new firmware for only the DSi. I am relieved that the loose translation of the DSi having two touch screens was false, cause that would've mean that there would games would only play on the DSi.

It's at the bottom of the main post but the batter life is only marginally smalller. The thing is they put in a brighter setting that replaced the max setting. So you're really only losing about an hour of battery life, a little more i'm guessing if you're using Wi Fi.

The only thing I want to know is whether the bigger screens have a higher resolution or not. I'm betting the pixels are probably just going to be bigger. If so, it's kind of pointless.

Eh. Doesn't really do much for me, unless it will involve new software.

It seems like I'll have plenty of time to consider it. Definitely wouldn't trade my Lite for this, though.

I just picked up a DS Lite over the summer!
I really would like to see a better web browser for the DS Lite be released along with this DSi.

posted in the MP but here it is for those who already read it

- real time imaging software

- built-in software for controlling pitch, speed, audio filters, and more

- record voice through mic, and change playback speed and pitch

- all of these camera/music options are pre-loaded

- play sound in games at louder volume

- Purchase/download WiiWare/VC software/and DSi software directly to SD. Transfer process will become ‘dramatically easier’

From US press confrence.

This may well be the PSX of the DS line. Why couldn't they just wait until DS2? I also hate the fact I'd have to buy a brand new console just to get access to these new downloadable games.

This is great for you guys that planning to upgrade from the original DS to this, but I upgraded from an old school GBA to the DS lite. No way I'm getting rid of it. The better screens have me jealous though.

[quote name='DQT']This may well be the PSX of the DS line.[/quote]You're talking about this thing, right?

256px-Psx.svg.png

You betcha. I was going to put a link to Wikipedia article. 20 minutes later, I got to confess, that was a little harsh.

This might've already been posted but Reggie said that the DSi won't come over here until "well into 2009". They're going to wait for the DS Lite's sales to slow down before they add another product.

I go to bed at 12 Eastern, get up at 5am and workout at 6am for the first time in a year (combined with a full day at work) and what do I miss...

Nintendo seemingly printing more money.

On second thought I guess I didnt miss much.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']One alternative would be to just not upscale the old DS games and have widescreen-style letterboxing around the edges. They did it for the GBA SP, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it again here. Beyond that, though, I don't see how this is going to work - I doubt Nintendo's been telling people to design games with the potential for graphical upscaling (they've never changed the resolution on a handheld console midstream), and with limited space on a game's card, I doubt that anyone would have designed for something that might possibly MAYBE happen in the future.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it right now.

I also think that would wreak havoc with the touch screen sensitivity for old games, but that's another thing entirely.[/QUOTE]

Well, that was easy - Kotaku has answered my question for me.

custom_1222926831219_nint04_01.jpg

Black borders it is! And if that screen shot is any indication, the bigger screens? Not worth it at ALL.

So Nintendo reveals this in Japan today and announces that it will be out in less then a month, and today NOA announces it will be out several months months from now. fuck Nintendo for always making us wait forever for this type of stuff.

I don't understand how this isn't "worth it". It's a DS, in which of course a ll love. The camera part is whatever, as it doesn't really do it for me, but everything else is also an added bonus. The whole turning the DS into a Wii w/ a VC makes it just THAT much cooler, imo :cool:

[quote name='utopianmachine']
Anyone know what the "i" in DSi stands for?[/QUOTE]

I wondered this myself, and decided it's either a nod to the naming scheme so many things use today, particularly Apple products (iTouch, iPod, etc). Meaning it implies a sort of "self-centic" ideal, which we've already seen Nintendo use quite extensively with Miis.

Another possibility is a play on "eye," since this one has two cameras. But I'm not sure that's intentional, since I don't know if that translates over in Japan. That could be seen as a kind of subversive nudge/playful attack on Sony's Eyetoy as well.

Has anyone speculated on whether or not you could import one of these without fear of region protection? Since it has onboard memory, I could see Nintendo locking this puppy down to respective countries.

iPod :cool:

Seriously, Nintendo and Apple need to just fuck and get it over with.
Seriously, their baby would be very attractive..

[quote name='utopianmachine']So...it's out in a month in Japan? *puts on import cap*

Anyone know what the "i" in DSi stands for?[/QUOTE]

Import.

i wonder if this is this going impact peripheral support for the DS lite. is this going to discourage developers from making peripheral-centric games (ie. guitar hero's hand grip, or that motion control thing w/ that tony hawk game). i hope not.

[quote name='lilboo']iPod :cool:

Seriously, Nintendo and Apple need to just fuck and get it over with.
Seriously, their baby would be very attractive..[/quote]

the problem with that is that their babies would be very fragile.

[quote name='lilboo']How big?![/QUOTE]

....Of course.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the problem with that is that their babies would be very fragile.[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if you are kidding. I put together a house using a NES controller as a hammer. And then I beat Contra. And then I gave your mom a tight spanking. She had start and select button shaped indentions for weeks.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the problem with that is that their babies would be very fragile.[/QUOTE]

Only if they had hinges.

bread's done
Back