DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='soonersfan60']^^ He can only if he shares with the rest of us CAGs... ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm still open for trades, need some Tales Season 1 and Flintstones season 4-6.

Definitely gonna hit up Big Lots in the morning to see fi they still have stuff up. If they still have those Popeyes, I'm snagging on for my GF. Anyone else need one if they do?

[quote name='x_mystery_y']we did nothing wrong and neither did big lots. They were deceived about the merchandise by iwmb. Yeah, it sucks that we'll never see an event like this again, and it turned out they weren't legitmately sold to bl, but no reason for us to feel guilty or hate big lots for it.[/quote]

qft!

so wait.. all tthese "deals" of dvds are gonna end or is this just speculation right now?

didnt really read the article... so WB is like stopping all these Deals!?

[quote name='Furashu']so wait.. all tthese "deals" of dvds are gonna end or is this just speculation right now?

didnt really read the article... so WB is like stopping all these Deals!?[/QUOTE]

Definitely just random speculation. I definitely don't think suddenly all these sets are gonna be recalled and taken off the shelves. Maybe over time but not instantly unless Big Lots is named as a culprit of this officially and can be pinned down with precise evidence that claims it as the "victim" of this ordeal.

[quote name='cheapbastard']Saw something today tha I dont think anybody has mentioned. 1st & Ten Complete Series. Its an HBO sports comedy show. Anybody interested?? BTW what would be a fair price to sell these dvs to fellow CAGs?? Check my post on the dvd trade thread if u will.[/QUOTE]

1st and Ten has been available at BL for over a year now... Ive seen copies at my stores ever since then... IT DOESNT SELL

[quote name='Cmosfm']This thread just got amazing. Now I feel glad I hoarded so many.[/QUOTE]

should of hoarder the toll house cookies before the recall : )

Moral of the story: only use trusted sources for destroying your excess inventory of merchandise, or press only as many units as you think you can sell.

its over at least in fort wayne.. hit maplecrest and jefferson.. neither had anything new put out unless you waned

avatar book 2 vol 1 2 3 4 for 16.00 (4 per vol)

my BL did NOT get anything new in, but nothing was pulled either. Picked up 2 more Popeyes for my friends, and they still have anotehr 5 left, as of 9:15am est.

And almost ALL hte War at Home sets i saw last week (I counted almost 15 today).

[quote name='slidecage']its over at least in fort wayne.. hit maplecrest and jefferson.. neither had anything new put out unless you waned

avatar book 2 vol 1 2 3 4 for 16.00 (4 per vol)[/QUOTE]
I also dropped by the maplecrest store. One of the ladies there said the truck is coming around 11. I'm probably going to check back later this afternoon.

[quote name='slidecage']its over at least in fort wayne.. hit maplecrest and jefferson.. neither had anything new put out unless you waned

avatar book 2 vol 1 2 3 4 for 16.00 (4 per vol)[/QUOTE]

I might still check this weekend.. I'm coming into town for the weekend.. so wont hurt to make some BL runs :)

[quote name='slidecage']should of hoarder the toll house cookies before the recall : )[/QUOTE]

You realize this makes no sense, even when you know the recall was because of suspected E. coli?

Heading back over to big lots around noon, thats when my store's employees start unpacking.

[quote name='dyeknom']You realize this makes no sense, even when you know the recall was because of suspected E. coli?

Heading back over to big lots around noon, thats when my store's employees start unpacking.[/QUOTE]

I understood it, I believe he's wishing sickness or perhaps death to hoarders

[quote name='dyeknom']You realize this makes no sense, even when you know the recall was because of suspected E. coli?
[/QUOTE]

You realize it was a slidecage post, right?

After buying the second season at Big Lots I went over to FYE and grabbed the first season for $15.

How the hell did I miss this show when it first aired???

I went back to the Maplecrest store. Nothing new. One of the guys there said they weren't getting anymore. I just wonder if I should check the New Haven store.

Stopped by my location today. Tons of War At Home Season 1 for $3 and the Looney Toons Movie Collection for $10... and somehow they managed to sell all but one copy of Joey Season One. Otherwise no new stock.

mine put out a truckload of Roots Complete today.... I mean like 30 copies... and this it the 3rd time I've seen copies there... looks like that's all they put out today tho kinda depressing.

[quote name='Kerig']Speaking of Veronica Mars, do I have to watch S1 before I start watching my $3 S2 set?[/QUOTE]

It's probably not required, but I would if you've got it.

[quote name='Kerig']Speaking of Veronica Mars, do I have to watch S1 before I start watching my $3 S2 set?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I watched Season 1 and my wife and I started watching Season 2, I had to pause it SO MANY TIMES just to explain what was going on.

[quote name='Afflicted']mine put out a truckload of Roots Complete today.... I mean like 30 copies... and this it the 3rd time I've seen copies there... looks like that's all they put out today tho kinda depressing.[/QUOTE]

That's for $10, right? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that.

I remember watching random episodes and it wasnt too bad. Might need to get myself a S1, need to find a FYE that hasnt closed down in my area....

It's very helpful to watch Season 1, but you can get most of the story without it

I'd say watch Season 1 first. It develops the characters well.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I'd say watch Season 1 first. It develops the characters well.[/QUOTE]

Another reason to watch the first season, the show is absolutely amazing, so it's well worth the cost of the first season.

Definitely just random speculation. I definitely don't think suddenly all these sets are gonna be recalled and taken off the shelves. Maybe over time but not instantly unless Big Lots is named as a culprit of this officially and can be pinned down with precise evidence that claims it as the "victim" of this ordeal.

Warner Brother's isn't stupid, so eventually they will figure out where the DVD's were sold, and will tell them to cease and desist.

[quote name='robin2099']Warner Brother's isn't stupid, so eventually they will figure out where the DVD's were sold, and will tell them to cease and desist.[/QUOTE]

At this point I doubt Warner is going to do that. The vast majority of the said box sets have already sold. What very little that is left I just can't see Warner even wanting to bother to have those "Joey" sets that never sold suddenly sent back to them.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Stopped by my location today. Tons of War At Home Season 1 for $3 and the Looney Toons Movie Collection for $10... and somehow they managed to sell all but one copy of Joey Season One. Otherwise no new stock.[/QUOTE]

the looney tunes collection, is that the 1-5 one? if so did you pick it up and is it up for grabs?

[quote name='Animal7390']the looney tunes collection, is that the 1-5 one? if so did you pick it up and is it up for grabs?[/QUOTE]

The movie collection is just 2 movies.

[quote name='Animal7390']the looney tunes collection, is that the 1-5 one? if so did you pick it up and is it up for grabs?[/QUOTE]

The movies collection is $12 on Amazon, $10 at Big Lots, so not really worth it.

I wouldn't bother watching S2 it's pretty horrible. There are plot lines that go nowhere left and right, and the ending isn't even really based on the rest of the season. As good as S1 was, there's a reason it didn't fully make it through S3 before being cancelled...

Sadly, I was at wal-mart and saw that same collection for 13$ too. 2-3$ difference just isn't much, compared to the other sets :/

As far as Veronica Mars is concerned, I really enjoyed all three seasons. You dont HAVE to watch season 1 to really understand season 2, because it's a self-contained story... but I would strongly recommend watching S1 first, otherwise you're flying blind as to Logan's situation as well as to some of the characters and story references.

Season 2 was not the reason for its cancellation, which held steady at a little over 2 million viewers / episode and continued to hold steady. The show, in general, didn't have numbers like UPN/CW's flagship garbage reality TV shows Next Top Model, Pussycat Dolls, etc... *cough*Firefly*cough* Viewer ratings determine our TV schedule and silly people watch the dumbest shows :)

Sounds like I'll more than likely watch Joey before Veronica Mars.

I still have absolutely no idea how the Nielson Ratings are anywhere near accurate. I remember having my family chosen for it when I was about 10. We kept the TV on most of the day/evening that week. It's such an alien presence, that it can't NOT affect your viewing habits when you know that watching TPIR in the afternoon can keep Bob Barker on for yet another year.

Except TPIR is pretty much an hour long infomercial disguised as a game show. Take away all the money the show makes off of advertising giving away hot products and I'll guarantee you that it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

Hey All;
I still have 1 Samurai Jack (sets 1-3 strapped together) for trade and am interested in trading for Flinstones 1,4,5,6 and Josie and the Pussiecats. I am willing to pay for shipping for both ways as well. If someone is interested please let me know thanks. Things are drying up quick around here.

Nothing worthwhile in the four North Austin stores, unless you like the OC or the Dukes of Hazard.

If anyone in the Austin area sees the Babylon 5 movie set, lemme know. I need it to complete my series set :)

The reason they would want to destroy them rather than sell them at a discounted rate is that they don't want to devalue the merchandise when it is still being sold at full price at normal retailers, along with the fact that they can right off the full cost of the DVDs that were destroyed as a business expense, something they could not do if th ey were sold.

[quote name='spmahn']The reason they would want to destroy them rather than sell them at a discounted rate is that they don't want to devalue the merchandise when it is still being sold at full price at normal retailers, along with the fact that they can right off the full cost of the DVDs that were destroyed as a business expense, something they could not do if th ey were sold.[/QUOTE]
I can understand that, but I still see it as a terrible waste.

I saw some weird Bandai Anime sets today in a way out of the way Big Lots for $10 - but now I can't remember what they were. One had a bust of a woman included with the DVD. Then there were 2 with 2 plush figured included in the box. I didn't know what the heck they were... So I left them there.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I saw some weird Bandai Anime sets today in a way out of the way Big Lots for $10 - but now I can't remember what they were. One had a bust of a woman included with the DVD. Then there were 2 with 2 plush figured included in the box. I didn't know what the heck they were... So I left them there.[/QUOTE]

The one with the 2 plush might have been Angel Tales IIRC, its a somewhat old shipment back when Big Lots was flowing with anime. Those were the days.

If anyone can pick me up those Tales from the Crypt Season Sets, I have lots to trade.

Ghostbusters (XBOX360)
Heavenly Sword (PS3 SEALED)
Stepbrothers Blu Ray
Spiderman 3 Blu Ray
Wall-E Blu Ray

bread's done
Back