DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
My last 2 good shots are today - if they held any out for today's ad for some reason... or tomorrow when they get their truck. I'm about to declare my store dead. Damn. Just needed a Flintstones Season 1 to complete my collection. Oh well. It'll be cheap on Ebay when I lose the spirit to keep going to Big Lots all the time.

If anyone is interested in getting the Roots set my area must have been the clearing house for those, as I've seen a dozen or more in just one store alone. PM me if you want one and I'll get em for you. And if anyone has the Looney Tunes 20-disc set (I know, long shot), let me know and we'll trade even. Thanks.

PS: If this sale truly is over, I'm going to start checking out the used book stores that take DVDs. I'm sure someone may trade some of this stuff in at some point, especially if they need to pay rent or bail money.

Probably YMMV, some posts I'm reading online especially at my store have received stuff yesterday. Hoping for a shipment tomorrow.

I think the Kroger thing may be nationwide. I made a topic on it. They had some nice sets there I havent found at any of the Big Lots Ive been in in the last month.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']Kroger has stuff too? i might hit that up tonight.[/QUOTE]

the sets arent as cheap. $7.99 each. But thats still a good price imo and you probably dont have to worry about the hoarders.

Is it safe to say this sale is dead now? Just wait until months from now when these sets bump up to their original value again, if ever.

[quote name='downwardspiral']Wish there was Kroeger around me. Anyways to add to the hunt DVDTalk has been saying the sets have been hitting Rite Aid stores as well for 7.99[/QUOTE]

No Kroeger around me either man, But there are a few Rite Aid's :D

I finally found the Smallville Season 7 bluray at big lots. I bought one for me 1 for my friend and one for trade. I'm definately not a hoarder so don't call me one. THere have been plenty that I only bought 1 of and tons I have left behind. =)

[quote name='Animal7390']the sale is not dead. they are still the same prices, just harder to find.[/QUOTE]

Never said it was dead, just wanted to mention that nothing new has been showing up. These were not special sale item prices, those are the prices that they are selling them with the stickers they attached.

[quote name='Animal7390']kroger discussions should be moved to the kroger thread, not in the big lots thread.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with notifying others in one thread about other stores having this type of deal, Right?
I mean, he didn't say it to change to topic of Big Lots, He said it to let others who were looking without luck at Big Lots that "Hey, heard you might get lucky if you look at Rite Aid"...
As for thinking we were changing the topic to "Kroger" and constantly gonna talk about them, that would be a dead topic for us to supposedly "try" to change it to anyways; cause like we said in our posts there aren't any of those stores around us. Thus, nothing to talk about in that Kroger thread you insist we move to and there's nothing else to say to continue talking about it in this thread.

In other words, Thanks for letting us know of a alternate thread but pointless for us to move to it...

Back to Big Lots, went by my local one today...no new restocks (if there had been earlier this week/last weekend then they'd been cleaned out) and what was there was nothing of interest to me...Still had plenty of Roots. Hoping I catch a new re-stock soon though still hoping for that Samurai Jack that will probably never show up for me in my area.

The deal isn't dead in Portland, ME. I noticed a few new sets this past Sunday. Top Cat and Dastardly-Flying Machines.

**edit** just kidding they're gone now

it was just a suggestion, since it seemed that was where people were heading in the thread since people mentioned finding stuff at kroger.

I went to my Big Lots today and they had way more stuff than before. A bunch of LA Lakers Championship history, various WW2 box set, Night Court, Dukes of Hazard s5 and 6, History of Rock and Roll, Nightmares and Dreamscapes (Stephen King shorts...?), Roots: The Next Generation, Tracy Takes On, and West Wing s2. There were also a few Eureka Seven DVDs. I think they were vols 5, 7, and 8.

Anyway, if someone sees War at Home, Veronica Mars, Drew Carey, or Samurai Jack and don't know what to do with them... ;)

I guess I came into this deal kind of late. I really wish I hadn't been so busy these past few weeks, but oh well, what can I do. You win some and you lose some. There'll be a next time for sure, not to mention that I already own quite a few sets from this deal already. I went to a couple Big Lots by me, and at least i found Tracy Takes On Season 1. I was very happy with that find, plus it was only $3 and not the $6 listed in this OP's post.

yeah plenty of wars at home here in homestead , florida big lots
i picked up war at home for 3 bucks ,and vol one and two of pinky and the brain
and vol one of animanicas id say pretty good but yeah there a lot of war at homes here , im really look for some superman or batman the animated series if any one can help ? hit me up

I think I can get two copies of Smallville SN 7 (or whichever one it is) on blu ray. PM me if you want me to grab them. I've never or traded anything over this site, so that will be interesting...

[quote name='token2k6']I think I can get two copies of Smallville SN 7 (or whichever one it is) on blu ray. PM me if you want me to grab them. I've never or traded anything over this site, so that will be interesting...[/QUOTE]

both season 6 and 7 were available. if it is season 6, ill take one.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I guess I came into this deal kind of late. I really wish I hadn't been so busy these past few weeks, but oh well, what can I do. You win some and you lose some. There'll be a next time for sure, not to mention that I already own quite a few sets from this deal already. I went to a couple Big Lots by me, and at least i found Tracy Takes On Season 1. I was very happy with that find, plus it was only $3 and not the $6 listed in this OP's post.[/QUOTE]

Season 1 is $3 and Season 2 is $6

[quote name='Animal7390']both season 6 and 7 were available. if it is season 6, ill take one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my bad, its only season 7, still haven't been back, going soon, i'll search for SN 6...sorry!

Went to a Big Lots yesterday, only sets I left were Joey and bunch of different Dukes of Hazzard seasons that was it...And I dug deep into every Dvd area, didn't find a thing I really wanted. Unless the store was jus holding out for some reason...Yea it feels pretty much over in my area.

I went when this thread first came out and they didn't have much of anything, a few Joey's and west wings. I was pretty disappointed. Anyone get lucky and nab all 9 friends seasons that they'd want to sell?

Didn't get anything yesterday from BL... But my trip wasn't a total waste, a local salvage type mart ha a ton of A&E DVDs and I found the complete dangermouse series for $5...

[quote name='zman73']Didn't get anything yesterday from BL... But my trip wasn't a total waste, a local salvage type mart ha a ton of A&E DVDs and I found the complete dangermouse series for $5... Can get more if anyone wants to trade items from the BL sale...[/QUOTE]

What A&E dvds they have?

BTW, I've got a "Blade the Complete Series" up for trade. Should anyone be interested, PM me.

Mainly lots of biography sets, Family Jewels season 2, the St Louis Cardinals world series set, Steelbook UFO hunters season one, there were tons of dvds

Ok went in today to a different Big Lots store in my area, I'm glad I did...
I finally found Volume 2 of both Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. So i purchased 2 of each. They had a bunch of Tracy Takes on (Like 2 rows), Scooby Doo box sets, Dukes of Hazzard S5 and S6, Joey's and like half a row of Animaniacs V2 and like 5 Pinkys V2 left. They told me that store gets Dvd shipments in on Tuesdays and Have them on the floor Thursdays. Surprisingly enough This deal wasn't completely dead for me yet.

I'm mad at myself for not opening the sets sooner. The Everwood set was broken, and the disks have scuff marks. I'm going to go and try and return it, since I doubt I can exchange it, None Left. I actually liked the show too :/

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I'm mad at myself for not opening the sets sooner. The Everwood set was broken, and the disks have scuff marks. I'm going to go and try and return it, since I doubt I can exchange it, None Left. I actually liked the show too :/[/QUOTE]

You got me worried so I opened up mine too. My disks are fine, the only problem is that the glue on the disk tabs didnt hold, so my first two tab cases are loose while the 3rd one is still glued to it. Might just reglue them myself I guess, its a very odd way to store them though...

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I'm mad at myself for not opening the sets sooner. The Everwood set was broken, and the disks have scuff marks. I'm going to go and try and return it, since I doubt I can exchange it, None Left. I actually liked the show too :/[/QUOTE]

I think that is part of the reason WB wanted this stuff destroyed as I heard many rattling sets of DVDs when I was making the rounds last month.

Looks to be no ad this week. The e-mail I got this week pushed clearance stuff which you can look up on BigLots.com already. To answer already before anyone asks.... no, the
box sets that we are all looking for are NOT part of the clearance.

[quote name='Owen']I think that is part of the reason WB wanted this stuff destroyed as I heard many rattling sets of DVDs when I was making the rounds last month.[/quote]

I've encountered more than my fair share of rattling DVDs in my day that retail stores will sell regardless.

[quote name='Owen']I think that is part of the reason WB wanted this stuff destroyed as I heard many rattling sets of DVDs when I was making the rounds last month.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't surprise me. I had a few loose discs in the sets I've opened (Flintstones Season 5, Animaniacs Volume 1, TMNT Season 5 from Krogers, and maybe a few others), and I'm pretty sure a few of the sets I left on shelves had loose discs. Fortunately, "loose" didn't mean damaged, at least in this case.

I also noticed a few other minor imperfections (like the slip covers not lining up with the art underneath on the Hanna Barbera sets), but nothing so bad that it would've doomed the sets to $3 oblivion by most standards.

Demolition Man is right, though - I've gotten a few DVD sets and games that had loose discs from other places, which were sold at full price.

Everyone near me is basically sold out of box sets.
Too bad, since I wanted to finish Ever wood. I hope this is the only set that has problems. I don't really check my stuff until I'm ready to watch it.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Everyone near me is basically sold out of box sets.
Too bad, since I wanted to finish Ever wood. I hope this is the only set that has problems. I don't really check my stuff until I'm ready to watch it.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, were your disk case "tabs" also loose, or is everything glued correctly? I wonder how this originally worked since it seems like it would be hard to get disks out, but they clearly had glue on them at one point.

[quote name='Link927']Just wondering, were your disk case "tabs" also loose, or is everything glued correctly? I wonder how this originally worked since it seems like it would be hard to get disks out, but they clearly had glue on them at one point.[/QUOTE]

The plastic cases were cracked, and yeah, the glue was coming off. I think most of the sets were "defective." They probably had slight imperfections.

bread's done
Back