DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Made out like a bandit today. My location was just putting these sets out when I arrived, and had baskets full of more I didn't look through.

Among my pick-ups:
Superbowl XXXI - XL set
Smallville Season 6 Blu-ray
Smallville Season 7 Blu-ray
Animaniacs Vol. 2
Lakers Dynasty Collection
Nip/Tuck Season 4 Blu-Ray

They had a lot of things from the list. I also saw:
Full House S5 and 6 (may pick this up tomorrow)
Wonder Woman
Joey S1
The OC Seasons 2 and 3
The West Wing
Pinky and the Brain Vol. 2
Scooby Doo Collection

Those are the ones I remember seeing.

I stopped by 3 Big Lots today before scoring all this stuff. One had them on the electronics shelf, but I picked up most of these at another location, where they were stored on the normal DVD shelf. Also, the one I got this lot at did not have them on Saturday, so for all CAGers that haven't found these yet, keep checking! They should surface sooner or later!

Wow, Samurai Jack series for 6.00. Amazing. I would kill for that. I'd probably even pick up the Wonder Women set. Season 6 of Smallville is the only one I need to have season 1-7, and season 6 on Blu has been spotted? Sweet. Gotta keep an eye out for that.

A local store of mine restocked, so I picked up a lot (nothing new)

Hmmm..either regional or they didn't put the sets out yet near me. None of these sets were anywhere to be seen. Or they're gone already. Anyone know if this was for a specific sale, or if some stores just put them out too early?

Havent seen this mentioned but I found Night Court Season 1

Out of curiosity has anybody ever found any WWE DVDs for $3 @ Big Lots?? Somebody once mentioned this at a store but Ive never seen any.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapbastard']Havent seen this mentioned but I found Night Court Season 1

Out of curiosity has anybody ever found any WWE DVDs for $3 @ Big Lots?? Somebody once mentioned this at a store but Ive never seen any.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I've never seen any, but I do see a ton of various UFC DVDs every time.

I got Animaniacs Vol. 2 as well as the first two Pinky and the Brain volumes. I was stupid and passed on the Thundercats sets (the actual multi-disc box sets) and by the time I got back to the store the whole DVD boxset display was devastated. I think I was lucky and got there right after they were put on display...

Regardless, the second time I went back I found sealed Playstation 1 games sitting on the shelf. Picked up Crash Bash and Tomb Raider for $4.00 a piece for my sealed collection.

Checked my (2) local Big Lots and found nothing. I did speak to the store manager at one and was told the DVD sets will be put out on Sunday morning when the ad breaks.

[quote name='hbk1313']Checked my (2) local Big Lots and found nothing. I did speak to the store manager at one and was told the DVD sets will be put out on Sunday morning when the ad breaks.[/QUOTE]

Yknow what that means.. Its pricematch time... :bouncy:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I got one multidisc Thundercats collection, six disc, how many are there at Big Lots?[/QUOTE]

Probably none now :)

This is the one to get, the one with 3 regular-sized DVD cases inside a box. The newer release (probably one DVD case, silvery looking) is just 1/3 of the real box set with only 2 discs each.

I wonder if there will be a line of people outside on Sunday morning at 9:55 for the first time ever at Big Lots...I know I'll be there.

Well, I've seen some other season of Thundercats. But those only come in the two disc variety at Big Lots? I think I'll just try this set out and worry about Thundercats later on-- thanks Kerig.

Do we know exactly what will be listed in the ad? It will be pricematch heaven if there's a picture or list of everything that's on sale.

Do stores actually pricematch Big Lots? I was under the impression that they're considered a wholesaler, and that most stores won't match their closeouts.

Evansville, IN east
Pinky and the Brain V1 (i picked up 2, 1 to trade or gift)
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies (bought for the Batman one)
Justice League from superfriends to something with like a superfriends disc and some justice league ones which I passed on.
That's all they seem to have in sets now.

Found a few Super Bowl sets, Pinky & The Brain Vol 1 and a boatload of Vol 2. I picked up the last Animaniacs Vol 1, couldn't find a Vol 2 sadly. :(

Also spotted The OC: Second Season, West Wing, Dukes of Hazzard Fifth and Sixth Seasons, and one that I wanted to buy so badly but couldn't pull the trigger today... Night Court: Season One.

Wait, so are these on sale right now for $6? The OP says that the sale starts on the 12th. Is everyone just paying full price for these right now with plans to price adjust later, or is everyone paying only $6 for these right now?

I hope the 2 stores in my town get more in later, right now they don't have much... seasons 5 and 6 of Dukes, season 2 of the OC, a bunch of Joey, and a few sports sets.

[quote name='ddrisgood137']Wait, so are these on sale right now for $6? The OP says that the sale starts on the 12th. Is everyone just paying full price for these right now with plans to price adjust later, or is everyone paying only $6 for these right now?[/QUOTE]

It's poor wording of the OP.

The sets are priced @ $6 now, and have been since I first seen them on 6/27.

They are being shown in the Sunday 7/12 to advertise the availability.

Went back to check out Big Lots again today, tons of NBA Lakers Dynasty, History of Rock n Roll, Animaniacs (vol.2), Pinky & the Brain (vol.2), Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Dukes of Hazard fifth season (Why only fifth season?), Night Court first season, The O.C. second season. I think they're basically just putting stock out on the floor as more space becomes available from sold boxsets. Might go back tomorrow to see if they put out more stock on the floors.

Kinda related:

The other day I was at a Marshall's, and noticed that they had 1 copy each Night Court S2 and ER S4 for $10 each.

It leads me to think that WB just dumped a bunch of season sets to closeout merchants.

My store had like 50 copies of OC season 2 and a couple of Nip Tucks, so I grabbed a Nip Tuck and laughed at the thought of every single one of those copies of the OC being thrown away eventually.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']My store had like 50 copies of OC season 2 and a couple of Nip Tucks, so I grabbed a Nip Tuck and laughed at the thought of every single one of those copies of the OC being thrown away eventually.[/QUOTE]

Jesus yes, no one wants those, and they don't resell or trade-in anywhere for anything.

Grabbed Pinky and The Brain V1 and V2. Only saw Six Feet Under S3, was hoping for more.

Looked like they had the full run of Dallas (at least S1-6), a bunch of OC S2, Drew Carey, the Lakers and Broncos set, and the History Of Rock and Roll (which I'd get, but I've seen countless times).

[quote name='manthing']It's poor wording of the OP.

The sets are priced @ $6 now, and have been since I first seen them on 6/27.

They are being shown in the Sunday 7/12 to advertise the availability.[/QUOTE]
Well, I did say they've put the stock out for sale early. I guess "for sale" could either be taken as the sale price, or just being available in the store at a higher price (which in seven pages, no one has mentioned a higher price, so I wouldn't have made that assumption)

My mom bought Capote, something South Park, I thought she said Volume, and Pinky and the Brain. Sadly there was no Animanicas.

I tell my mom in the lsit that I wanted Volume 2 of Pinky and the Brain... what does she buy? Volume 1. "Well I didn't even look at the volumes...", then why did I bother making a list?

So I too have an extra volume 1 and i want Animanicas damnit! :lol:

And south park is the first three volumes.... so those might go back.

Went in tonight and grabbed a few movie titles for $3. They had all the sets you guys have been talking about. Little factoid the clerk told me: they will be getting in a lot of the closeout stuff from the Virgin Megastores and (can't remember other store name) in the next week or so-the 14th of July she said. Also, they were notified that "a disney movie studio" is going out of business and they are getting a bunch of titles from that. Not sure which one (Touchstone?).
My store is in Sanford, FL.
Hope this gives you all a heads up before the stores start getting swarmed by flea market leechers.

my local store has absolutely nothing not a one but they are moving things around so possibly they are waiting for the actual sale date to put them on the floor im hoping to score some of the blu's and other goodies

[quote name='bigdaddy']Animanicas[/QUOTE]

It's Animaniacs, I ignored it the first time because I thought it was a typo, now I realize you just don't know the name! lol

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, I did say they've put the stock out for sale early. I guess "for sale" could either be taken as the sale price, or just being available in the store at a higher price (which in seven pages, no one has mentioned a higher price, so I wouldn't have made that assumption)[/QUOTE]

Aww, I was just giving you crap. ;)

Hell, if it wasn't for this thread, I would have thought the Thundercats S1v5&6 disc I saw in Richmond, KY was just a weird find, and I wouldn't own the sets I picked up. :bouncy:

Been to all 3 big lots around me, lot of the typical stuff people have been seeing. There are a lot of Smallville S7 in BD around me, but no sign of season 6. Also a lot of sets for Pinky and the the Brain vol 1 and 2. I'm looking for Animaniacs vol 1 and 2, anyone around that has access to these willing to make a trade? I live in Southern California.

[quote name='manthing']Aww, I was just giving you crap. ;)

Hell, if it wasn't for this thread, I would have thought the Thundercats S1v5&6 disc I saw in Richmond, KY was just a weird find, and I wouldn't own the sets I picked up. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

/wipes tears away

Saw Smallville season 6 dvd boxsets along with a LOTR:The Twin Towers dvd still in "exclusive walmart" packaging.

[quote name='Vitality X']Saw Smallville season 6 dvd boxsets along with a LOTR:The Twin Towers dvd still in "exclusive walmart" packaging.[/QUOTE]

Its Two Towers btw.

Pinky and the Brain Seasons 1 and 2, Animaniacs 1 and 2, Thundercats Season 1 Part 1 (The giant box, not a partial version.) Good score imo. :D

bread's done
Back