E3 2010 Predictions

[quote name='sofik88']so you're sony fanboy and/or graphics whore. i feel sorry for you if you think that since you've never been graced with actual racing simulator. truth be told even GT5(if that last demo is any indication) couldn't be compared to the old pc sims made by Papyrus like Grand Prix Legends. let's be honest here Nascar and Indycar racing games from early 90's made by Dave Kaemmer are still considered to have better physics than newest Gran Turismo game by many. GT5 has still to prove that it's better than Forza in physics department even though both are more(Gran Turismo games) or less(Forza series) arcade games.

Race Pro is barebone pc racing sim on console made by the best developer of racing sim games and have updated physics engine from Race On - one of the best racing simulators ever created to date and i can tell you that myself since i've been playing mostly on pc between 1996-2007 and all i've been playing were: rpgs, real-time tactics games and racing simulators[/QUOTE]

I, like most consumers these days, just simply don't care for realistic racers anymore. The genre is in decline year after year. There is a small but dedicated base that buys them here and there, but they're never mainstream other then gran turismo.

Personally, ive owned too many sports cars and gone too fast in real life to care to do it in a video game. Its where my username comes from. I had a t88-34d 6-speed supra as my last sports car.

P.S. - I doubt i'll be purchasing GT5 till its 20 or less. No interest but i'd like to own it to play a few online games here and there.

I had to remove my KZ3/Inf2 revelations because they got revealed already. I could've counted them, but I didn't want to. It seems like my PSP price cut rumor might come true as well. I also added my price prediction about the DS lite/i/XL because it seems like it's happening.

Off the prediction record though, I think Nintendo's big reveal will be a third party game.

[quote name='KingBroly']I had to remove my KZ3/Inf2 revelations because they got revealed already. I could've counted them, but I didn't want to. It seems like my PSP price cut rumor might come true as well. I also added my price prediction about the DS lite/i/XL because it seems like it's happening.

Off the prediction record though, I think Nintendo's big reveal will be a third party game.[/QUOTE]

what is the talk of the PSP and DS price cuts anyone here price ranges

I wonder if them announcing KZ3 and Infamous 2 now is their way of clearing room for bigger/other announcements. Or if it was an internal studio choice not Sony.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I wonder if them announcing KZ3 and Infamous 2 now is their way of clearing room for bigger/other announcements. Or if it was an internal studio choice not Sony.[/QUOTE]
I really doubt the internal studios have that kind of power.

[quote name='alongx']Are you a full-blown retarded person?

Your argument would suggest, in turn, that the Wii doesn't compete with the PS3 and the 360, only with the PS2, which makes no sense. A product's competition is EVERY other box on the shelf in the same product category that someone could buy instead. Whenever Nintendo releases a new home console, it's competition will be everything else being sold at the time. The average buyer doesn't classify consoles according to graphical fidelity.

Also, if you want to consider market timing, the overwhelming likelihood is that Nintendo would be the last to consider releasing a new console, whereas Sony would have the greatest incentive to kill the PS3 early. The Wii's lead is nearly insurmountable. The only way to dominate the industry for MS or Sony would be to force a next-generation earlier, if anything, since each generation of hardware is more-or-less winner-take-all.[/QUOTE]
First of all the Wii's dominance is irrelevant, because Sony and Microsoft never had a chance at getting probably 75% of its base to begin with, the majority of Wii owners is fresh blood to the video game industry. Now thats not to say Sony or Microsoft don't care about them, clearly with the announcements of the Move and Natal, they do care greatly about them, but its not hurting them any.

Also, let me get this straight, you are saying people don't care about the graphics of the video game consoles they purchase, then what makes you think people are going to buy a $300 console over a $200 console, and thats just now, the 360 started off with a $400 launch price and the PS3 with a $600 launch price and the Wii with only a $250 launch price, so if people aren't looking at graphical capabilities that would imply they are looking purely at price tag, so tell me how does that not put the Wii in a whole different market than the more expensive PS3 and 360?

So apparently I'm the full blown retard even know you're the one countering your own points.

Sony is not going to "kill" the PS3 early, in fact I think they are going to take it very far past the 10 year life cycle that they are always touting,
the reason I say this is because they are probably going to build the PS4 based off of the same cell structure that the PS3 uses. This would give more incentive to 3rd parties to make games on their consoles, and do a good job on them too, because then they will have a simple backwards port to get even more sales off of. This also might increase the likelihood of 3rd party exclusives, increase the amount of risks taken by developers as far as unique game mechanics go, and it will probably bring more smaller developers to the surface because it'll be easier to stay afloat in the industry having that easy port option.

However I do think Nintendo will be the first to release a console, because despite not going after the hardcore I think they'll want the opportunity to capture some of the hardcore in with their audience, so they have a possibility of outdoing the Wii's impressive sales, and as we all know the hardcore ARE the early adopters, so while the casual audience take the consoles success to the moon, the hardcore does prepare it for liftoff.
So I think Nintendo will at least start off appealing to the hardcore with the next console, and then as soon as the other 2 arrive in the next gen market Nintendo once again will submit dominance to the other 2 consoles and go off its own way trying to appeal to the casuals who hopefully at that point (for Nintendo's sake) would be ready to step up from the Wii to Nintendo's new console offering. Once again I think Nintendo will figure out every little detail on how to reduce production costs for their next gen console, and they'll be easily affordable to anyone who wants one, even if just as a hold me over for the people waiting for their preferred choice console manufacturer to arrive in the next gen, or even as a secondary console.

Microsoft I think is going to be last to the next gen market because supposedly internally right now they're tied up in knots because 2 of their heads stepped down, the 2 highest too, I'm sure they have temporary spot fillers, but they are looking for more permanent placements.
They needed the head (I think J allard is his name) to be able to devote the next 2 or so years to their corporation or they needed him to step down because they're in some sort of transitional period or something. I personally think this is regarding the next gen production, and so I don't think they can go ahead without a head
(pardon the redundancy). Anyways because of this major set back I don't think Microsoft will arrive in the Next Gen until last, which means they are going to have perfectly working hardware with minimal fail rates as they did in their first gen of Console Hardware. They have to be able to tout something, and it won't be largest library of games when they are last to the gen, much like Sony's position this gen for the majority of it.

I think if Natal doesn't take off like Microsoft thinks it will probably hurt them badly. They've kind of bet the proverbial farm on Natal. Hardcore gamers will not buy Natal. There's absolutely zero incentive for them to. Casual gamers will be hard pressed to buy a 360 + Natal (or bundle) if the thing is priced higher than the Wii (Which, by all accounts, will be the case). To casual gamers, motion control is the same damn thing, whether you need a controller or not.

For Sony, they just stole the Wii Remote, reverse engineered it, and added some stuff. The end.
simplification FTW!
They're trying to cater to the Wii crowd, but not as aggressively as Microsoft is. In the end, they'll both waste a ton of money. But Sony's piece of tech isn't something non-game related like Microsoft's device is. Microsoft has A LOT to lose if Natal fails.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think if Natal doesn't take off like Microsoft thinks it will probably hurt them badly. They've kind of bet the proverbial farm on Natal. Hardcore gamers will not buy Natal. There's absolutely zero incentive for them to. Casual gamers will be hard pressed to buy a 360 + Natal (or bundle) if the thing is priced higher than the Wii (Which, by all accounts, will be the case). To casual gamers, motion control is the same damn thing, whether you need a controller or not.

For Sony, they just stole the Wii Remote, reverse engineered it, and added some stuff. The end.
simplification FTW!
They're trying to cater to the Wii crowd, but not as aggressively as Microsoft is. In the end, they'll both waste a ton of money. But Sony's piece of tech isn't something non-game related like Microsoft's device is. Microsoft has A LOT to lose if Natal fails.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ, Microsoft can totally flop on Natal and still be fine. They will continue to do fine in the portion of the market they already are strong in. This is just them trying to take a stab at Nintendo's market, both sides can survive on their own like they already have. Keep in mind this is Microsoft, they got money to burn.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think if Natal doesn't take off like Microsoft thinks it will probably hurt them badly. They've kind of bet the proverbial farm on Natal. Hardcore gamers will not buy Natal. There's absolutely zero incentive for them to. Casual gamers will be hard pressed to buy a 360 + Natal (or bundle) if the thing is priced higher than the Wii (Which, by all accounts, will be the case). To casual gamers, motion control is the same damn thing, whether you need a controller or not[/QUOTE]

Expect to see MS reveal a hardcore title that uses Natal. I wouldn't be surprised if Halo: Reach didn't integrate it in some manner, even if just an extra game mode. You're right that they're doubling down on it, and I think that means they'll pull out the big guns.

[quote name='elwood731']I wouldn't be surprised if Halo: Reach didn't integrate it in some manner, even if just an extra game mode. You're right that they're doubling down on it, and I think that means they'll pull out the big guns.[/QUOTE]
Bungie has already stated that Reach will not use Natal in any way, thankfully.

Maybe I'm falling behind technology, but I don't give a fuck about Natal or Move. I'd love to be proved wrong and have Sony or MS show something really impressive off next week for their respective devices, but I just don't see it happening.

[quote name='FanboyPS3']Microsoft I think is going to be last to the next gen market because supposedly internally right now they're tied up in knots because 2 of their heads stepped down, the 2 highest too, I'm sure they have temporary spot fillers, but they are looking for more permanent placements.
They needed the head (I think J allard is his name) to be able to devote the next 2 or so years to their corporation or they needed him to step down because they're in some sort of transitional period or something. I personally think this is regarding the next gen production, and so I don't think they can go ahead without a head.[/QUOTE]
J. Allard hasn't had anything to do with Xbox for years now. You're probably thinking of Robbie Bach, the other dude that left. Microsoft isn't looking to replace either, though. I remember reading on a few sites that Ballmer instead did some restructuring with the entertainment division (or whatever it's exact title is) and has Don Mattrick and some other dude reporting to him now.

---

Oh and for predictions, I don't know how likely it'll be, but I'm wanting more and more to see some kind of teaser for Uncharted 3 and/or Mass Effect 3.

Yeah, Natal flopping (and it will) means nothing to M$. They're made of money and their entire strategy for winning console wars is throw money at it til they do. At least Japan didn't fall for it and M$ finally gave up trying. Americans however, swoon for mediocre shooters, so it was all too easy.

[quote name='ducci101']I beg to differ, Microsoft can totally flop on Natal and still be fine. They will continue to do fine in the portion of the market they already are strong in. This is just them trying to take a stab at Nintendo's market, both sides can survive on their own like they already have. Keep in mind this is Microsoft, they got money to burn.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it kills the company. I'm saying it drops their already 5-year stagnant stock value.

I'd love to see the reaction stock holders have in a year when Microsoft says 'our 3 year motion control experiment has failed and we wasted half a billion dollars developing and marketing the thing'.

This is not about being second or third in market share for Microsoft. They want to be #1, and they think Natal can do that. But it won't. How can they be #1 in PC gaming when they can't beat Valve? How can they be #1 for music when they can't beat the iPod? How can they be #1 in gaming when they can't beat Nintendo? The simple answer is they cannot.

[quote name='FanboyPS3']So apparently I'm the full blown retard[/QUOTE]

Thank you for acknowledging this.

Though you claim I contradicted myself, you didn't point out how. You gave a bunch of false statements that would have contradicted my assertion had they been true. I stated that competition is defined by what's on the shelf selling right now. This is just basic marketing. Every buyer has some sort of self-defined pricing scheme, where each feature is valued and the overall package cost is deemed "worth it".

On a broader sense, the market is defined by a great extent by the prospective buyers' view of function, not price. 360, Wii, PS3, PS2, etc. are home video game consoles (PS3 can also be viewed as a blu-ray player). By your definition, an expensive Italian suit from The Men's Warehouse is not in the same market as a discount suit from JC Penny's. Hate to break it to you, but it is.

Also, you should realize that the "hardcore" will buy most good offerings at launch and lift a platform off the ground. I can tell you, when I bought my DS and Wii on their respective launch days, I was surrounded by hardcore gamers, not soccer moms and casual players.

[quote name='Fjordson']Bungie has already stated that Reach will not use Natal in any way, thankfully.[/QUOTE]

I'll believe when I don't see it. MS is about to launch their biggest hardware add-on and biggest software in the same time-frame with no compatibility? Even if it's nothing more than editing game clips using Natal for a Minority Report effect, I think we'll see something.

[quote name='elwood731']I'll believe when I don't see it. MS is about to launch their biggest hardware add-on and biggest software in the same time-frame with no compatibility? Even if it's nothing more than editing game clips using Natal for a Minority Report effect, I think we'll see something.[/QUOTE]
This isnt particularly unbelievable. Consider that the Wii Balance board has sold roughly the amount that the PS3 has, and there are a little less than half the number of Motion+ units as there are PS3s out there, but Nintendo didnt put support for either into their biggest first party titles since then: namely NSMB and Mario Galaxy 2.

[quote name='alongx']Though you claim I contradicted myself, you didn't point out how.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='alongx']A product's competition is EVERY other box on the shelf in the same product category that someone could buy instead. Whenever Nintendo releases a new home console, it's competition will be everything else being sold at the time. The average buyer doesn't classify consoles according to graphical fidelity.[/QUOTE]
That's not contradictory at all, because people would totally buy extremely higher price products if they didn't know the reason. If someone buys a DVD player over a Blu Ray player nowadays it's because either A.) they don't know what the difference is, or B.) all they care about is price tag and the ability to watch movies at all.
This is the advantage the Wii has over the PS3, and 360, and that is why they are in a different market. Look at it as like a set of flood gates for a dam, the Wii is the first flood gate and the PS3 and the 360 are the second. Anyone with just the vaguest amount of interest in video game consoles are going to stop looking after they see the Wii's price tag. If people are actually looking for a more intense experience they might drift over into the PS3 and 360 aisle. This is why they are not competing, because the Wii cuts people off before they even give the PS3 or 360 a moments thought.
This is why I think you are contradicting this point in particular, because you seem aware of the relevant difference to why they are not competing for consumer dollars, even know you say that they are. To be frank, Moms and Dads and Grandparents that haven't been requested or given any indication that the child wants a PS3/360 will more than likely end up coming home with a Wii if they're going to come home with a video game console at all. Unless they are actually aware of the differences in such things as "graphical fidelity", they wouldn't see a reason why the purchase of a PS3 or a 360 merits more of their money than the Wii.

Ask and you shall receive.

[quote name='alongx']Also, you should realize that the "hardcore" will buy most good offerings at launch and lift a platform off the ground. I can tell you, when I bought my DS and Wii on their respective launch days, I was surrounded by hardcore gamers, not soccer moms and casual players.[/Quote]
[quote name='FanboyPS3'] However I do think Nintendo will be the first to release a console, because despite not going after the hardcore I think they'll want the opportunity to capture some of the hardcore in with their audience, so they have a possibility of outdoing the Wii's impressive sales, and as we all know the hardcore ARE the early adopters, so while the casual audience take the consoles success to the moon, the hardcore does prepare it for liftoff.[/QUOTE]
Oh, right, you mean like I said in the comment you responded to.
You do realize you can't counter something someone said with what they just got done saying...right?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This isnt particularly unbelievable. Consider that the Wii Balance board has sold roughly the amount that the PS3 has, and there are a little less than half the number of Motion+ units as there are PS3s out there, but Nintendo didnt put support for either into their biggest first party titles since then: namely NSMB and Mario Galaxy 2.[/QUOTE]

That's because Nintendo doesn't put out peripherals that are meant to last. They make a game or two to support it, then it dies. See: nintendo's entire history. But they have everybody nice and convinced that the options are limitless with all these new peripherals. Then a few years down the line, you're like "yeah, whatever happened to R.O.B. the robot??"

edit: not to single out nintendo, Sony has been just as guilty with the eyetoy cams this gen and last. MS to a lesser extent with the Live Vision camera...their first big stab is Natal.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Microsoft:
Natal focused
MAYBE new 360 shown
Gears of War 3 demonstration
Boring Halo Reach footage
New Rare game (w/ one that uses the natal)
[/QUOTE]
Damn, was wrong about the Rare game. I was sure of that! But basically the whole conference in a nutshell.

How? I guess the Space combat was pretty unexpected and neat. But that entire sequence on ground was very dull. Bland ground texture peppered with similar rocks with one or two enemies in between... wee.

[quote name='KingBroly']A lot of people seemed to have liked Reach's footage.[/QUOTE]

That's because "Halo" is in the title. The brand is the Twilight of nerds.

[quote name='KingBroly']A lot of people seemed to have liked Reach's footage.[/QUOTE]
The space battle was kind of neat. The ground level looked dull, though.

I'm excited about Reach, but mainly for the multiplayer.

i'm glad new Turn 10 game was shown - although i wanted it to be PGR5, Forza 4 still will be awesome and it looks unbelievable considering all of it was straight gameplay footage.
can't wait for new Crytek game.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']That's because "Halo" is in the title. The brand is the Twilight of nerds.[/QUOTE]

I guess. While the space combat thing was a surprise, it wasn't that good IMO.

bread's done
Back