E3 2011: MS edition. Halo 4 and others on the way.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Come on man, read what I'm typing.

I said it's "no big deal" unless you're like Fable.[/QUOTE]

I did read what you wrote, maybe you should go back and do the same. Your statement starts by saying 'it's a shame' that kinect has edged its way into those games.

So with the general consensus being that MS shit the bed the question obviously becomes who do you guys think will have a strong enough showing to be best of show, Nintendo or Sony?

[quote name='Gentlegamer']
futuramas02e08001kinecweyi.gif
[/QUOTE]

Love this.

It looks like Nintendo is going to be dropping some pretty big news...New Console, new games, New 3DS Lineup...Nintendo could be making some pretty big announcements.

Sony looks to be in a bind, they lost alot of trust with their base after the hacking and info leaks, so they are probably going to be showing more big titles and features earlier than scheduled to gain some favor.

Microsoft is content with what they've done, Nintendo is going to do something crazy and sony is going to please us.

[quote name='panzerfaust']All Sony has to do is show a Last Guardian here or an Uncharted 3 there. All Nintendo has to do is announce actual games for the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I hear you there. Plus an exclusive game that will really get the crowd going. Also, did anyone see the Twisted Metal excerpt on Spike. Very nice indeed. 1+ hour boss battles is pretty sick and each car and character will have their own unique bosses to fight. And Dave Jaffe saying the graphics on his game suck compared to BF3. Funny, but Twisted Metal looks amazing. Nintendo last year impressed and I feel this year it is theirs for the taking with the new console. We will see. Overall EA's conference was good. But the BF3 running made me cry and go with BF3 instead of MW3.

Uncharted 3 and Last Guardian will definitely be there. At least I hope ;)

I can't believe people didn't expect E3 to be this way. Last year, all cool new information was leaked early for all 3 (Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft). What did you expect for this year? Seriously.

I knew there would be plenty shown for Kinect. The one issue with it so far is the lack of titles, let alone good titles. This E3 they showed/explained it's implementation into "real" games, whether you like those titles or not.

Most upcoming big releases were shown including the non-exclusives.
Gears3 - I was disappointed in the demo. I assumed they would show their "best" level. I hope this isn't considered it because it looked kinda of stupid.
CoD - Another one I lost interest in after seeing the demo. Too long intro into level, end of level just had me singing "I'm on a boat motherfucker", as I thought the boat scene was just straight up retarded.
Star Wars - I can't believe they showed this. Every game on the conference made this game look like a 2 year old created it. The kinect actions didn't move with the user. The way George Lucas uses CG, you expect way better graphics that this shit. Is walking all on a wire... I hope this was a joke.
Tomb Raider - peak a little interest. Interesting to see the gameplay completely overhauled.
Halo 1 - they better price it correctly
Halo 4 - I wonder when they plan to actually release more info on this.
XBL new features - Don't think I will use any of them. Youtube, I thought we already had access to that. I guess not.
Summer of Arcade - they didn't show it last year, why do you guys, that complained, think they would this year?

[quote name='Sinfulfate']
Oh and nice job Microsoft with getting Mass Effect 3 delayed until next year so Bioware can add some useless kinect features. Your slipping Microsoft, your slipping.[/QUOTE]

*hands you a tissue*

Just so you are aware...
Mass Effect 2 released Jan 26, 2010 with zero Kinect support. What was the excuse then for you? There are plenty of titles that release in the fall. Have you ever thought that Bioware wanted to see tons of sales going its way with post-holiday money when zero games come out...

[quote name='panzerfaust']Finally, maybe CoD will start to fall. [/quote]
This is single player. A good chunk of the community never touches SP so I don't think this fall by that much. BF3 will be great no doubt but I don't think it pulls that many of the CoD faithful.

Well Cafe being revealed is obvious but I hardly think it means they win the show. As for showing any 3DS games we already know we will be seeing a new Mario game for the 3DS. I think given that they will be showing cafe and probably 2 new Mario games that its Nintendo's to lose, but at the same time I hardly think its a given, especially since Nintendo very well may be putting out something thats only slightly better then the 360/PS3 which is hardly something to get excited about less they announce it for $200 IMO.

The thing I look forward to the most is seeing how Jack and the rest of Sony act since Welcome Home program/store just opened back up what a week ago...

[quote name='MSI Magus']I thought it was the most exciting thing of the show so far. Yes I really wish they would have shown some gameplay, but at least its a hardcore game coming from a big proven developer and it looks like a real game...not a kinect game, not another generic FPSer or racing game(yes those are still real games, but they are 90% of the market nowdays...) and not a game with a 3 behind its name. So far its the only thing shown that is at all exciting.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you. This is the kind of game that E3 used to be about before everything went mainstream and everything was leaked weeks before the show. A new IP from one of the industry's top developers. A rare surprise to actually get excited over.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']How does a U.S. consumer watch live tv on their Xbox360? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

They are working on the "connections". :lol:

A mod should move this topic to general gaming and just make it the official E3 topic. Iv been tempted to create one since people are using this to talk about non 360 stuff, but really it makes more sense to move this.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']How does a U.S. consumer watch live tv on their Xbox360? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

The reason I got rid of my Xbox 360 for one of these reasons. I wanted the ESPN connectivity, but Time Warner and Microsoft couldn't get their act together to make it happen after tons of complaints and still haven't to this day. So what makes them think that Live TV will work. The cable companies aren't going to play nice on this one either. Sounds neat in theory, but execution is going to be a big fail.

[quote name='lordopus99']The thing I look forward to the most is seeing how Jack and the rest of Sony act since Welcome Home program/store just opened back up what a week ago...[/QUOTE]

Kevin will be there in full force to mention it, guarantee it.

The Ubisoft conference right now is ten times more exciting than the dismal one this afternoon, which i will not mention.

[quote name='crunchewy']They are both big deals, so they showed them. I would have been stunned had they not showed them. Dance Central was/is a big success for Kinect and for Harmonix (unlike, say, Rock Band 3), and similarly unlike RB3, DC is exclusive to the Xbox and Kinect. Kinect Sports was also a success and a well reviewed and liked game. The reality is that Kinect is a big deal, whether much of CAG appreciates it or not. At the same time the biggest complaint about Kinect is that there aren't enough games, so yes, it's pretty obvious that they had to showcase Kinect extensively. Actually, I don't think they showed enough. They needed to show that a lot more games are in the pipeline. Mind you, I didn't see the conference, so maybe there was more in there then I've read about.[/QUOTE] I know there big deals but my issue is that I thought demo's for press conferences like this was to show off something new. Everyone already knows what Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2 will be like so why not show RYSE and that kinect game everyone knows Epic games is working on? Microsoft demoing those two games is like EA demoing Madden at their press conference. A simple trailer would have sufficed.

[quote name='lordopus99']
*hands you a tissue*

Just so you are aware...
Mass Effect 2 released Jan 26, 2010 with zero Kinect support. What was the excuse then for you? There are plenty of titles that release in the fall. Have you ever thought that Bioware wanted to see tons of sales going its way with post-holiday money when zero games come out...
[/QUOTE]
What does Mass Effect 2 have to do with anything? Mass Effect 3 was given a release date of fall 2011. It was then delayed because ""Essentially, step by step, [BioWare is] adjusting some of the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 that can put this into a genre equivalent of shooter-meets-RPG, and essentially address a far larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 did and Mass Effect 2 began to approach."(http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/04/mass-effect-3-delayed-to-adjust-mechanics-for-larger-market-opp/)

Its not illogical to think that the delay stems from them having to add in Kinect support due to the partnership with Microsoft for EA to add kinect features into their games. If EA wanted Mass Effect 3 to release in the Spring like they did with Mass Effect 2 then they wouldn't have given it an Fall release at the start.

I dunno, I guess this will do.

Rayman looked hilarious!

Love the Farcry 3 censoring. lol

You fuckers are going to wait til the end to show future soldiers aren't ya... I have to go to work now...

Are you meaning to tell me everyone is excited for Xbox360 this year. But not as much as this guy:

icOcrG.gif

Seriously? Epic Fail.... Way to sell it bro!

[quote name='xmbri']Are you meaning to tell me everyone is excited for Xbox360 this year. But not as much as this guy:

icOcrG.gif

Seriously? Epic Fail....[/QUOTE]

haha, at SD I said this when it was live:

I guarantee that black guy will be made into a GIF soon

Anyone willing to venture that Microsoft will raise the price of xbox live gold $10 to compensate all these "exclusives" that most people didn't ask for :roll:

Pretty lame showing, mostly Kinect crap I have no interest in.

At least I get more Forza, Gears and Halo. I would have liked to see some more Alan Wake, maybe next year.

MS was almost the same as last year, except they actually showed some core games, most of them being MP. The best part of Kinect could be done with a normal headset. And they expect people to pay $150 for that crap. Fable's gameplay looks ruined. I will laugh if Nintendo starts transition casuals over to more core type games with Cafe and Kinect fails on trying to do something done 5 years ago.

Halo trilogy for 360. We've already had 4 Halo games on 360. That will make 8 when you include the Halo 1 remake. That's too many. What's the point of 3 more Halo's on 360 with the first coming in 2012. That means the last one will release when, 2014? So we will not see a new Xbox until 2015 or if they're really stupid they'll have a new Halo on 720 while there are old Halo's on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']That dude doing the Ubisoft presentation is so damn cheesy and annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Mr. Caffeine, as he is known as, tends to be that way. A little better than last year, but Assassins Creed looks gorgeous. But Ubisoft tends not to be a serious presser.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That dude doing the Ubisoft presentation is so damn cheesy and annoying.[/QUOTE]

At least he has some enthusiasm.

The New New Xbox Experience dashboard will be the new default and not just the Kinect dashboard? That was a really poor announcement since they focused on all of the Kinect parts of it. Beacons seems like a small step towards an actual social networking/web 2.0 style dashboard that makes it easy to figure out who's playing what games and playing with friends more easily, so maybe the new dashboard provides all of that itself. Cloud storage is interesting if they offer a huge amount of space and if I can saving directly to the cloud, which the name suggests that it won't. It would be better if they offered better save management/deletion offers, as doing it one-by-one is a complete chore when I have 500+ save files for a one game to delete.

MS conference was a Wii-do with better graphics, constant loud thumping bass music and hollow acting fakery.

Does Ms think folks want more motion control at this point in time? Wii Golf was 5 years ago. But here is MS demonstrating virtually the same thing at E3 today. And motion control on-rails shooters/slashers for gamers? Gamers passed on those on the Wii. Awkward motion control instead of crisp quick button presses? Not a gamer delight either.

Voice control for entertainment might work if ...it actually works reliably and isn't too cumbersome. But why do you need Kinect for that?

The children's games? OK, but those games just look like random jumping and arm waving and then some loose connection to what happens on the screen. HOw many games can you have like that? I guess the answer for MS is not enough.

While I wasn't completely blown away by MS's conference, I am impressed with how much they've been able to do with Xbox Live. They're slowly tranforming it into the all encompassing media hub of the living room. You're talking about a single system that you can play great games on, watch movies, watch sports, watch television, order PPVs, video chat with family, and keep in touch with friends/relatives via social networking. Watching the UFC portion of the conference with the interactive menus was awesome. Every facet of that may not appeal to every person, but all of those options packed into one machine is damn impressive.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']While I wasn't completely blown away by MS's conference, I am impressed with how much they've been able to do with Xbox Live. They're slowly tranforming it into the all encompassing media hub of the living room. You're talking about a single system that you can play great games on, watch movies, watch sports, watch television, order PPVs, video chat with family, and keep in touch with friends/relatives via social networking. Watching the UFC portion of the conference with the interactive menus was awesome. Every facet of that may not appeal to every person, but all of those options packed into one machine is damn impressive.[/QUOTE]

Are the cable companies and telcos going to allow that to happen. If you know anything about the cable companies, the whole live tv is going nowhere. You watch. ESPN can't get half of cable companies to stream via Xbox live now, so what make you think that all this can happen when even one service now is botched.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']While I wasn't completely blown away by MS's conference, I am impressed with how much they've been able to do with Xbox Live. They're slowly tranforming it into the all encompassing media hub of the living room. You're talking about a single system that you can play great games on, watch movies, watch sports, watch television, order PPVs, video chat with family, and keep in touch with friends/relatives via social networking. Watching the UFC portion of the conference with the interactive menus was awesome. Every facet of that may not appeal to every person, but all of those options packed into one machine is damn impressive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is true. Would be neat if I could get rid of my satellite all together and just have everything integrated on one box. I'm actually going to plug in my kinect and try out kinect fun labs or whatever that is. I actually can't even stream espn to my live because they don't have a deal with time warner cable.

Guess I really don't care about the xbox exclusives anymore. Halo I am over with. YAY another trilogy we already have 4 halo games.

[quote name='xmbri']Are the cable companies and telcos going to allow that to happen. If you know anything about the cable companies, the whole live tv is going nowhere. You watch. ESPN can't get half of cable companies to stream via Xbox live now, so what make you think that all this can happen when even one service now is botched.[/QUOTE]

Money talks. Simple as that. How did Netflix get brand new shows? Why does DirecTV exist? Technology changes and new players come into the game. Cable television has been ripping off customers for decades and recently has finally been seeing some of the fallout from it when customers look for alternative means of entertainment. Networks need viewers. If someone comes along with a better plan and the money to back it, they won't hesitate to jump at it. Do you seriously think Microsoft is blindly leaping into this without doing any research or already having any deals in place?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back