E3 2011: MS edition. Halo 4 and others on the way.

All the rumors said MS was scrambling to get more providers signed right up until the last minute for a big IPTV announcement. I think it's obvious they missed the deadline.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Money talks. Simple as that. How did Netflix get brand new shows? Why does DirecTV exist? Technology changes and new players come into the game. Cable television has been ripping off customers for decades and recently has finally been seeing some of the fallout from it when customers look for alternative means of entertainment. Networks need viewers. If someone comes along with a better plan and the money to back it, they won't hesitate to jump at it. Do you seriously think Microsoft is blindly leaping into this without doing any research or already having any deals in place?[/QUOTE]

Show me proof that Microsoft launched ESPN on Xbox Live successfully with everyone with broadband access can get. Then come back and see me. They may have the deals, but you still got to use your cable line to receive broadband service in most parts of the country, which the cable company owns, not the networks or Microsoft. Whether you like it or not, they will determine if this will be a go and it won't put a drain on their offerings or bottom line. Either the cable company won't give a shit and not know or will put limits on bandwidth, which will put the price out of reach for majority of broadband users. Once again, good announcement, but in reality, may only work for very limited amount of people.
Research has nothing to do with it. Directv still needs cable companies to get permission to carry channels on their service and Netflix is battling Comcast with bandwidth issues. Money may talk, but content protection is really king. Research is showing that people are still not willing to cut the cord on cable due to it being tied to their internet access and such. There are a fringe amount of people cutting the cord, not based on content, but rather their economic situation.
I agree cable is been ripping off people for decades, but people are not going in droves like you are suggesting.

[quote name='Dezuria']Did they say anything about WHEN we get the new Xbox Live/dashboard update?[/QUOTE]

I think it usually launches sept/oct if I remember correctly

I think Sony and MS kinda tied. They both sucked equally. They each had ONE exclusive that I care about. Gears 3 and Resistance 3. The rest was Kinect/Move bullcrap.

Most of the stuff I'm looking forward to is cross platform. Skyrim, Rage, Ghost Recon, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, and Saint's Row 3.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I think Sony and MS kinda tied.
.[/QUOTE] you dont care for uncharted 3, sly 4, infamous 2 ? blasphemy

vita by itself killed microsoft

but nintendo will like win it all tomorrow

So

+ Halo 1 HD facelift
+ Halo 4
+ Dance Central 2 (aka the only highly rated Kinect game from what I recall, and second best seller behind Kinect Sports 2)
+ Dashboard features
+ Cloud Saving
+ Screaming at Mass Effect squad mates via Kinect
+ Tomb Raider is damn sexy, even for a multi platform title being shown
+ Minecraft on my XBox

- Too many Kinect only titles
- Fable on rails
- No price drop
- Halo Anniversary has Halo 1 multiplayer maps.... for Halo Reach. It's also $40 which MS claims is "budget"
- Again, no price cut.

It was better then last years E3 at least... not by much

Hrm...Seems like everything I've got zero interest in is all MS is all about these days.

No interest or use for Kinect at all (no room to use it even if I wanted to), no use for social networking integration (I don't use them), Youtube? I don't even use that site on the PC. ESPN? I hate sports.

All I ever wanted in an upgrade to my dash was a web browser.....Ugh!!!

Only thing interesting is the Halo series....

[quote name='100xp']we're CAG's...we'll find a way.[/QUOTE]
We always do...

What do you guys think of the speed wheel?
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/wireless-speed-wheel-coming-from-microsoft-for-60-this-october/
hiimawheel.jpg

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So

+ Halo 1 HD facelift
+ Halo 4
+ Dance Central 2 (aka the only highly rated Kinect game from what I recall, and second best seller behind Kinect Sports 2)
+ Dashboard features
+ Cloud Saving
+ Screaming at Mass Effect squad mates via Kinect
+ Tomb Raider is damn sexy, even for a multi platform title being shown
+ Minecraft on my XBox

- Too many Kinect only titles
- Fable on rails
- No price drop
- Halo Anniversary has Halo 1 multiplayer maps.... for Halo Reach. It's also $40 which MS claims is "budget"
- Again, no price cut.

It was better then last years E3 at least... not by much[/QUOTE]You forgot - fist bump

For some reason the idea of screaming commands at my comrades in Mass Effect 3 is already giving me bad Hey You Pikachu! flashbacks. NO! DON'T START DANCING!

Why does Lucas Arts bother making the Old Republic game? I get a stiffy seeing the trailer and then we get something no where close to the trailer for the game. Why don't they just make movies.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Why does Lucas Arts bother making the Old Republic game? I get a stiffy seeing the trailer and then we get something no where close to the trailer for the game. Why don't they just make movies.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, please, NO!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So
[/QUOTE]

Kinect Sports was also highly rated. I can't vouch for Dance Central as I don't have it, but Kinect Sports is fun and I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2. But then I also like playing Kinect Adventures, so call me what you will. :) I'm really looking forward to Fruit Ninja Kinect, because that looks really fun. So there you go - more ammunition. ;)

But more then any of that, I'm most excited about Trials Evolution! Woohoo!

[quote name='xmbri']Already been done and done... new IP's please.[/QUOTE]

Are you hating on getting an online version of 3rd Strike?

[quote name='FurryCurry']Are you hating on getting an online version of 3rd Strike?[/QUOTE]

No, he's just butthurt that so many people are ripping on Nintendo so he feels the need to try and complain about 360. And for him to say anything negative about no new IPs for 360? I didn't see any new IPs in Nintendo's presentation.

I watched the conference at work today and I liked it. I hate to admit it but I liked it more than Sony's this year. I liked how they made the Xbox look like it could be enjoyed by playing games and not just add-ons. The Kinect presentation was MUCH better than last year showing how you can enjoy Kinect by yourself, with another adult, with kids, and with kids on their own. I'm a big fan of Harmonix so Dance Central 2 was fun to watch.

It also looked like people were having more fun as well. Be it better acting or genuine feelings, they did a better job at selling it (leagues better than Kinect Adventures and the Skittles segments from last year). Highlight for me though was Tomb Raider and Lara's constant orgasm.

I'd say a B- for Microsoft and C+ for Sony. Haven't watched Nintendo's yet.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Funny shit. They keep touting how Kinect is so great because you only use your body and now another expensive peripheral to put the controller back in Kinect.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anywhere that says it's for Kinect. In fact I'm almost positive it's a stand alone accessory not tied to kinect.

SO AMPED for Street Fighter 3. I saw the trailer but no wide screen/HD? that's terrible. They better keep the original soundtrack. It was great. No need to remix the damn songs.

hmmm...I'm skeptical on the force feed back on that wireless wheel controller. (snickers)

If Halo 4 does indeed come w/the maps for Reach then it might be worth the investment purely on the notion that someone out there will have a $10 pre-order gc bonus in addition to bonus points toward another gc.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I don't see anywhere that says it's for Kinect. In fact I'm almost positive it's a stand alone accessory not tied to kinect.[/QUOTE]

They already sold a normal racing wheel. Why make a new wheel that offers less functionality and requires you to hold it in mid air and pretend it's real, just like the entire premise of Kinect.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I hope the release a brand new proper xbox 360 steering wheel for the Forza 4 launch.[/QUOTE]

doubt it.

You need to be a cable/satellite subscriber to get TV on your 360. You'll be able to search TV shows on 360 with Bing.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015279371_brierethree10.html
Q: Will live TV be universal, or will it be regional TV services provided by whoever your cable provider is?

A: It will be tied to either a satellite broadcast company or a cable company. So in international markets, you'll just have one provider. In the U.S., it will be bifurcated by region, by market. You'll be a Comcast guy [in Seattle], for example.

Q: So you'll have to be a Comcast subscriber, similar to the way you need a subscription to get the ESPN content on the Xbox now?

A: Yes.

Q: Will the Bing search be full Web search or just for entertainment?

A: It will be full search on what you have on Xbox Live. So anything that's available on Xbox Live if you're a gold subscriber, it will search all of that. It won't go out and search the Web.

bread's done
Back