eBay won't let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers, starting May

judyjudyjudy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Yep. This was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks back. Now, in a year, eBay will have new data: how buyers leave a rash of neutral and negative feedback over nothing, because it isn't like a seller can do anything about it. Lovely. Keep sticking it to us more.

I think my days of selling on eBay are over. There is enough crazy buyers out there that change their minds, demand things from sellers and are just plain arseholes. Thanks eBay, appreciate the support for making you cash.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yep. This was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks back. Now, in a year, eBay will have new data: how buyers leave a rash of neutral and negative feedback over nothing, because it isn't like a seller can do anything about it. Lovely. Keep sticking it to us more.[/quote]
That is exactly what I have been saying. At first I was thrilled over the new feedback system because I will not have to worry about retalation feedback from a seller, when I leave a negative for recieving a fucked up product.

However, now eBay buyers will have zero interest in working out any issues w/ a seller as they can just negative. I have a couple friends who are eBay power sellers and they've explained to me how sometimes shipping accidents, DOA items etc happen alot more to them, then me who just sells stuff I do not need on eBay. I am afraid now this make any eBay buyer not really make an effort to let the seller make good on the transaction as they will just right off the bat leave a negative.

Not to mention some of the "pre-k" eBayers who like the lines: "Do what I say or I will leave negative feedback". eBay sellers are in for a world of feedback blackmail! :applause:

Edit:

It seems alot of eBay sellers feel the same way as we do. A petition for not listing any items through the week of Feb 18th due to the feedback change is up.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.j...ticache=1202335464552&anticache=1202407856097

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']:oops: My bad...[/quote]
Don't get me wrong. Merely expressing my continued disgust over this.

Wow, 106 pages on that petition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-n2YWwXUKY

Found this video someone made over the new eBay feedback system .. lol it's pretty amusing.

Edit:

After reading all the links and stuff, it says the new feedback system does not start until May, I'll finish selling some stuff I need to get rid of and then after that .. all video game stuff/movie stuff/ entertainment crap can stick to forums like CAG, GTZ, TGN etc ..

[quote name='thebob101']I think my days of selling on eBay are over. There is enough crazy buyers out there that change their minds, demand things from sellers and are just plain arseholes. Thanks eBay, appreciate the support for making you cash.[/QUOTE]

That, and back in the day eBay used to be a good way of getting cheap and/or rare items easily... now it's all about gouging people as much as possible, especially on limited run or hard to find items like every time a game console is released.

How frustrating.

I hate to say it but since I'm mostly a buyer, this is sort of a blessing for me. I find that most sellers are in fact nothing but crap. They do a poor job describing their items, hide details/fact using bad pictures/poor descriptions, and the worst being those who sell 1000s of items a month so when you ask a question they can't answer it because they're too busy.

But yeah, when I do need to sell I go to Ebay directly pretty much (CAGs are to... cheap). I'm thinking about going directly back to money orders only now. It's not the feedback that worries me, it's the fact that PayPal will hold you money until 3 days after an item is delivered.

[quote name='SinisterBlur']That, and back in the day eBay used to be a good way of getting cheap and/or rare items easily... now it's all about gouging people as much as possible, especially on limited run or hard to find items like every time a game console is released.

How frustrating.[/QUOTE]

While I don't mind gouging, what really peeves me is the hoarders. Ebay has basically made it possible to make a living off of hoarding.

This is the most STUPID rule that eBay has introduced (and boy, have they had some doozys in the past)

I can understand the thinking behind it, you dont get pressured (as a buyer) into leaving positive feedback because an bad seller will leave you a negative in return. HOWEVER, how the heck can you tell if a buyer is a bad buyer now?

As one of my rules on eBay (as a seller) I have my auctions automatically set up to not accept bids from buyers who have had two negatives in the past 30 days. Well that will do me a lot of bloody good now since you soon wont be ABLE to leave negatives against buyers.

It seems that more and more eBay are screwing over the sellers.

And dont get me started on the great new "Look at use, we've knocked inserting fees down! Aren't we great?"

No you are not sodding great, you take 5c off an insertion fee but then hike up the final value fees by 3% which basically means that you are now taking MORE cash off us.

I've given up selling on eBay pretty much. When they made insertion fees 40c per item plus the post office put prices up, it just wasn't worth it for me to sell any longer (since most of my items were DVDs that sold for $5 - $3 each)

*deep breath*

Hey, I feel a little better now.....

[quote name='SinisterBlur']That, and back in the day eBay used to be a good way of getting cheap and/or rare items easily... now it's all about gouging people as much as possible, especially on limited run or hard to find items like every time a game console is released.

How frustrating.[/quote]

If people bid a lot for a rare item, it isn't the seller's fault the price is so high, it is the market's fault. And if someone keeps putting up rare items for high prices and people keep buying them, then the rare item is probably worth that much.

Also, why would a seller NOT want to get as much as possible for something they are selling, especially a rare or limited run item?

It seems to me they should just keep feedback hidden or anonymous until both parties have put their feedback in - and put a time limit on it. So you can leave feedback within 2 weeks of the auction, if you haven't, then you missed your chance and the feedback shows up.

I'm not really upset on this one. Of course once I get my first silly neg from a buyer I'm sure my opinion will change...

[quote name='Zipomatic2']
As one of my rules on eBay (as a seller) I have my auctions automatically set up to not accept bids from buyers who have had two negatives in the past 30 days. Well that will do me a lot of bloody good now since you soon wont be ABLE to leave negatives against buyers.[/QUOTE]

Sure that's not 2 unpaid item strikes in the past 30 days? I don't thik there's an option for X negs in the past 30 days.

You can block bidders with an overall feedback score of -1 or lower but not by total neg FB received. (So if you have 5 positive and 4 neg for an overall score of 1 you can't be automatically blocked.)

The only scenario where I see this affecting buyers is for those who sell as well. They won't have to worry about a negative "buyer" feedback hurting their score. For this reason I set up a "buying" account because I didn't want retaliatory feedback from a bad seller to affect my reputation as a seller.

But it seems like that is a small percentage of the Ebay users. Do people who just buy really care about their feedback score?

[quote name='kell']
But it seems like that is a small percentage of the Ebay users. Do people who just buy really care about their feedback score?[/QUOTE]

Some certainly do. I notice many power sellers automatically give a neg for any neg they receive (some for all neuts as well) and then follow up with a request to withdraw the feedback. Well I infer that they always make that request based on a mutually withdrawn feedback on their account for every still in effect neg or so.

I made this same comment on the other thread but to me this is a half-assed way of eBay saying feedback for buyers doesn't really matter. They should whole-ass it and just make the policy that feedback is only left for sellers. But I think they're afraid very active buyers with ever growing scores would get upset about it. Wouldnt' surprise me if they follow this up with a no feedback at all for buyers policy at some point down the road.

I like to get good feedback.. I mean, it's like these days people don't care if they're happy dealing with you but if even one little thing goes wrong, they'll bite you like no other.

[quote name='tsmvengy']It seems to me they should just keep feedback hidden or anonymous until both parties have put their feedback in - and put a time limit on it. So you can leave feedback within 2 weeks of the auction, if you haven't, then you missed your chance and the feedback shows up.[/quote]

That is the way that it should be done. I cannot see any flaws in this. If you give each party a set amount of time and make their feedback anonymous until each has submitted, and unchangeable after that, then people might leave more accurate feedback.

This is due to John Donahue, eBay's new CEO.

I think it's a great business move and will draw in more buyers, making eBay more of a buyer's market, but will affect the site's profitability in the short run as many sellers will feel hesitation to list items.

Personally, I'm listing my items before the steep increase in FVF. Once it's in effect, I will only use eBay to buy items and I'll sell on speciality sites and Amazon.

[quote name='Caliburn']This is due to John Donahue, eBay's new CEO.

I think it's a great business move and will draw in more buyers, making eBay more of a buyer's market, but will affect the site's profitability in the short run as many sellers will feel hesitation to list items.

Personally, I'm listing my items before the steep increase in FVF. Once it's in effect, I will only use eBay to buy items and I'll sell on speciality sites and Amazon.[/quote]

How do you think it will draw in buyers?

Just a question -- what good does a buyer's rating do for them anyway? I mean, I don't think a buyer can look at the seller rating of the person who just bought their item or won the auction and refuse to sell to them, can they?

Anyway....

A lot of people are calling this an outrage. Some smarter, more industrious person/people will call it an opportunity. All some visionary needs to do is create a web portal site called StellarSellers.com (or something, probably already in use) that allows eBay sellers to create links to their auctions and their feedback and provide responses and discuss the sales and transactions. They could probably rate buyers. A buyer in good standing with StellarSellers might be able to register with an IM system at the site that would let "stellar sellers" let them know about forthcoming Buy It Now items in the hopes that good buyers will be the ones to purchase the item first.

What I'm saying is that if a truly important function is removed somewhere on the internet, the vacuum will be filled by someone else. Follow CheapyD's lead and fill the vacuum with your own site instead of bitching about it.

EDIT: Or just get it to be popular enough so that eBay and PayPal buy you out for 2.1 million dollars. Either way you win.

[quote name='wubb']I made this same comment on the other thread but to me this is a half-assed way of eBay saying feedback for buyers doesn't really matter. They should whole-ass it and just make the policy that feedback is only left for sellers. But I think they're afraid very active buyers with ever growing scores would get upset about it. Wouldnt' surprise me if they follow this up with a no feedback at all for buyers policy at some point down the road.[/quote]

I could see that, having a strictly buyers accoutn with no feedback score.

I haven't sold on Ebay recently, but instead have been selling on Amazon. Amzn just made some changes and one thing I noticed, which I didn't before was that you can leave feedback for buyers. Seems odd for Amazon, but my guess is it is to encourage buyers to leave feedback. I sold 150+ items since Nov on Amazon and only have 35 feedback to show for it. If someone leaves me a neg, it screws my score and doesn't truely represent it as a %.

[quote name='Salmonday']A lot of people are calling this an outrage. Some smarter, more industrious person/people will call it an opportunity. All some visionary needs to do is create a web portal site called StellarSellers.com (or something, probably already in use) that allows eBay sellers to create links to their auctions and their feedback and provide responses and discuss the sales and transactions. They could probably rate buyers. A buyer in good standing with StellarSellers might be able to register with an IM system at the site that would let "stellar sellers" let them know about forthcoming Buy It Now items in the hopes that good buyers will be the ones to purchase the item first.

What I'm saying is that if a truly important function is removed somewhere on the internet, the vacuum will be filled by someone else. Follow CheapyD's lead and fill the vacuum with your own site instead of bitching about it.

EDIT: Or just get it to be popular enough so that eBay and PayPal buy you out for 2.1 million dollars. Either way you win.[/quote]

I've thought about something like that, more of an Internet rep that people could use across all sites. It kind of sucked having great feedback on Ebay then coming here and Amazon as a new user and having to start all over again. Combine my feedback please.

Although I don't like that Ebay is asking for more money, I do like the structure better. I prefer little to no listing fees and then paying more if an item sells, like Amazon.

[quote name='kell']How do you think it will draw in buyers?[/quote]

I'd like to know, as well. I don't see how this would affect anyone's decision to buy stuff on eBay.

[quote name='kell']I sold 150+ items since Nov on Amazon and only have 35 feedback to show for it. If someone leaves me a neg, it screws my score and doesn't truely represent it as a %.[/quote]

Yeah, I just started a seller's account and I sold two items. I sent the buyers step-by-step instructions on how to leave feedback easily (and a thank you, of course) and neither left FB. Oh well, I'd like to have some positive feedback. Most people are apt to leave a negative or neutral feedback than positive since that's what they "expect" and only bitch and moan if something goes wrong. As long as the 0 FB doesnt deter potential buyers, I guess it doesn't matter.

How many more shitty things does EBAY have to do to lose traffic? Seriously some of their competing sites must be celebrating over this. getting to the point where I would just rather use craigslist or something

[quote name='Caliburn']Yeah, I just started a seller's account and I sold two items. I sent the buyers step-by-step instructions on how to leave feedback easily (and a thank you, of course) and neither left FB. Oh well, I'd like to have some positive feedback. Most people are apt to leave a negative or neutral feedback than positive since that's what they "expect" and only bitch and moan if something goes wrong. As long as the 0 FB doesnt deter potential buyers, I guess it doesn't matter.[/quote]

Yeah, there is no motivation on Amazon to leave feedback. At least on Ebay they want to get return feedback...oh...wait...I guess there's no more motivation to leave good feedback on Ebay.

I feel like if someone doesn't leave feedback you can assume they are content/happy with the transaction. And sites like Amazon and Ebay should give buyers a time limit to leave feedback. After that, if no feedback is left then the seller should get a positive towards the % that shows up to buyers.

As stated, there's no point in leaving buyer feedback on Amazon. And yes, that does mean that you could sell a thousand items on there and only get a 5-10% return on feedback both positive or negative. Amazon contacts buyers after 30 days who haven't left a feedback to remind them, but they won't give you that information so you can contact them again later on.

Also, shut up about Ebay's fees! I'm hearing 9% (haven't sold there in a while), and then you got paypal's fees. Oh noes. Amazon claims to charge you 15% but in reality it comes out to 17.5%!!! So please stop your bitchin'.

Amazon and eBay aren't the only sites on the Internet to sell stuff through. The prices now are ridiculous enough to just sell through a forum or craigslist instead of giving up 10% of everything I sell.

[quote name='kell']I could see that, having a strictly buyers accoutn with no feedback score.

I haven't sold on Ebay recently, but instead have been selling on Amazon. Amzn just made some changes and one thing I noticed, which I didn't before was that you can leave feedback for buyers. Seems odd for Amazon, but my guess is it is to encourage buyers to leave feedback. I sold 150+ items since Nov on Amazon and only have 35 feedback to show for it. If someone leaves me a neg, it screws my score and doesn't truely represent it as a %.[/quote]

Amazon is fucking retarded. I stopped selling there when they honored an A-to-Z Guarantee claim for "I forgot that I already had this game when I ordered it," let the buyer keep the game and claim a refund.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Amazon is fucking retarded. I stopped selling there when they honored an A-to-Z Guarantee claim for "I forgot that I already had this game when I ordered it," let the buyer keep the game and claim a refund.[/quote]

:wall:

If every eBay buyer was honest this might not be such a huge deal to people. I mean yeah, there is 1 plus about it .. if you buy, you can't get retalation feedback from a seller.

But what about all those fucked up eBay buyers. Ya kno, the people who try and reverse paypal payments, claim the item was broken, etc etc etc .. anything to screw you over. Now eBay gives them even more leverage, now they can blackmail an eBay seller w/ feedback. For me though, I say fuck it .. I could really careless about getting a negative if I know honest to god I feel I did what I needed to do to make good. I will be the first to leave fully detalied negative comments, in a postive feedback.

I think I'll sell until the feedback change, minus the feb 18th listing strike, and after that I will only sell when I really want to get rid of something of bigger value. (video game systems etc.)

eBay has pushed me away from there site. :applause:

I'd probably be ok with this if eBay had a system in place that automatically gave you positive feedback after X days if the other party does not leave feedback. I've already lost out on around 40 feedback on eBay due to buyers never leaving feedback, and that number will go way up once these changes occur, assuming I am still selling on eBay.

I want to say that I won't sell on eBay once these fees kick in, but honestly I am not sure what I will do. I had hoped I could utilize CAG for selling things, but it seems much of CAG expects items to be dirt cheap or that you jump through hoops to prove you are reputeable. Not to mention that I feel much more secure doing transactions on eBay help to justify the fees somewhat.

That idea of one site for ALL forms of feedback sounds great too, since my eBay feedback was deemed worthless here.

I sold an Action replay for PS2 in December. He paid the next day and I shipped it out via First Class Mail the next day since I was at work when he made payment and I didn't get home until after 5pm when the post office closes. Let me repeat that I SENT THE ITEM OUT THE DAY AFTER HE MADE PAYMENT. The next thing I know 3 weeks later I got a negative feedback. He said my "one day processing time" took 3 weeks when in fact I did process it within a day but the slow ass post office took 3 weeks to get it to him. I printed out the label though paypal also so no excuses for the post office. I sent him a message explaining that I mailed it out the next day and I was sorry the post office was slow (it was Christmas time though) but it was not my fault and to please retract the feedback. I even informed him I had print outs of the label and a DC# to show I mailed it on the day I said I did. He did not even bother to respond to me so I left him a negative feedback for "bad communication". He deserved it and don't tell me he didn't. Now ebay is taking away my one weapon against bad buyers. Not good.........

fuck eBay and fuck PayPal, all they ever care about is the BUYERS even though it's the SELLERS that pay for their fancy hats & golden yachts.

Crud. I guess my ebay selling days are finally going to have to come to an end. It's really annoying when you sell a game such as Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for $95, only to hear NOTHING back from the guy for a couple of weeks. The guy started an account on the day he made the bid even though I stated "Bidders with positive feedback only", and I've yet to hear from him. Do people even read anymore? Probably another scammer or dummy. Man, ebay has gone downhill...

For the Amazon vs Ebay debate, I thought I would work out the math for myself (and I thought other CAGs would find this informative) using real world examples with S/H margin factored in to assess true % costs. I haven't factored in overhead costs, gas to the post office, and time expense since those costs are going to be same for both (or at least close enough...I believe amazon gives you a bigger window of time to ship, so you possibly could go to the post office less frequently)

Amazon charges 15% on a used video game sale, plus 99 cent per transaction fee (however, this fee is waived if you join their pro merchant program at $40 monthly cost but we’ll ignore that since this CAG and most sellers here are not necessarily going to be doing tons of transactions on amazon month in and month out), so for a small time seller selling a $24.99 used video game would be charged 3.75 plus 99 cents transaction cost, or 4.74 or 19% of the total paid….but there is a 3.99 shipping allowance credit and assuming that actual shipping cost of a 7 oz game (2.15 not including delivery confirm) with the cost of bubble wrap envelope (say 20 cents) is $2.35 out of pocket shipping cost, so you do get some margin on the amazon S/H fee.

So here’s the math for the folks in the home audience…
$24.99 game on amazon with amazon fixed 3.99 shipping fee gets bought

$24.99 –99 cent per transaction fee-3.75 (15%) closing fee-2.35 actual shipping cost+3.99 shipping allowance =21.90 in your pocket at the end.

$21.90/24.99 =12.4% of the sales price is kept by Amazon.

Here’s the Ebay math under the upcoming rates
$24.99 starting price/buy it now price video game with $3.99 shipping gets bought

$24.99-55 cent listing fee-2.18 closing fee-30 cents per transaction fee paypal fee-84 variable paypal transaction fee (2.9%*28.98) -2.35 actual shipping/packaging cost+3.99 shipping fee =22.76 in your pocket in the end

$22.76/24.99=8.9.% of the transaction kept by Ebay/Paypal under the new rates.

To understand why so many sellers are upset, under the current and soon to expire rates structure, the math would have worked out to $23.58/24.99=5.6% Ebay/Paypal bite or an 82 cent jump in total fees…and if you are only making a few bucks on each item, that sort of increase is pretty serious.

Now that said, you can fiddle with the Ebay math by pumping up the S/H fee, and lowering your selling price, which no shortage of sellers already do and is certain to become endemic under the new fee structure. But there’s no cost to list on Amazon, so you if you end listing a couple of times on Ebay and not selling it, the advantage goes to amazon, where it stays until you sell it or pull it off. And there is the added benefit of not all of Amazon customers are necessarily the most cheap ass people in world, so may be able to get away with higher prices than you would on Ebay (although that depends on other sellers on amazon as well). Also unlike Ebay where you might have one big seller dumping 25 copies of the same game at the same time and flooding the search page, on amazon that seller would only have one listing so you might not have to fight as much to be at least seen by potential buyers. But that said, you have far less opportunity to distinguish yourself from other sellers on Amazon than Ebay. But Amazon lets you price things without having to worry about the inserting fee selling breakpoints (ie, you’ll never list something at $26, since 60 cents of that additional dollar is consumed the higher listing fee by going over 24.99). And for amateur sellers, you also don’t need to take a photo for amazon listing either which saves time and listing hassles. And no suck ass anal retentive buyers nagging sellers for feedback 5 seconds after they left it for a seller. But all of this said, the math gets much worse for Amazon vs Ebay on items over $25, at least on non-computers and non-electronics items.

Personally, I've been putting off selling on Amazon due to their higher fee structure but I’m going to start shifting a very good chunk of my biz to them, despite the higher fees, solely due utter A-holeness of Ebay’s behavior both now and in the past (the feedback stuff sucks too…why bother to have feedback for buyers at all come May?…That’s just more work and dumb ass questions I have deal with from buyers, esp when I stop giving feedback at all to buyers when the new policy comes into effect…or I may just add a new level of shipping that includes “free and automatic positive feedback” that costs $2.50 more). Ebay will still get some of my business (and buyers are going to get at least a $1 or $2 increase S/H fees as well) in the handful of categories I deal with that amazon doesn’t have much of an audience, but I expect that my payments to Ebay/paypal will drop at least 60-70% this year.

I've found that amazon sales tend to be QUITE a bit higher then ebay. It's a combination of people who aren't price saavy and people who trust the amazon name. Also I don't have to deal with paypal who has tried to screw me over in the past on sales.

I love ebay's new changes though, now i can buy games from sellers and replace them with my broken and beat up game and they can't do anything to me. Bwahahaha. *Sarcasm off*

[quote name='Caliburn']
Personally, I'm listing my items before the steep increase in FVF. Once it's in effect, I will only use eBay to buy items and I'll sell on speciality sites and Amazon.[/QUOTE]

No kidding - it is the HUGE increase in FVF that make me not want to use ebay any more. The feedback thing is just more reason to stop.

I actually recently switched over to Half from eBay...my eBay feedback counts, no listing fees or durations, and the fee is a flat 15% of the item selling price. Shipping labels are printable in PayPal with the info auto-loaded, a distinct advantage over Amazon.

Unfortunately, fixed shipping is kind of cheap for games and DVDs (about $3)...but its on the higher side for accessories - $7, higher for consoles... as opposed to $4 on Amazon for everything from controllers to consoles.

[quote name='Caliburn']This is due to John Donahue, eBay's new CEO.

Personally, I'm listing my items before the steep increase in FVF. Once it's in effect, I will only use eBay to buy items and I'll sell on speciality sites and Amazon.[/quote]

Draw in new buyers and lose more sellers

Good, this means I can actually leave negative or neutral feedback when an item isn't delivered as promised without worry about my rating being messed up. Still I'm sure ebay will find a new way to kiss power sellers asses.

Ugh as a part-time ebay(er). This isn't fun...Im sure it will be great in the long run for people buying, but it helps the crooked people. Although I am glad it's fixing one side of the issue, now they need to fix the sellers issues...I cannot leave negative feedback without F'in my 100%. In fact I have never left any negative feedback, where I should have...out of 400ish transactions I have had a dozen people no pay, and some took weeks to pay me.

Although as a seller I know I might be an exception (I bubble wrap everything, I even make my items sound not as good on the description so I don't get my buyers hopes up. If someone is in Pristine condition I will just label it as good, with minor game play. When in reality it's freaking immaculate. I do this so I don't get screwed when they get it and go BUT YOU SAID IT WAS

Whereas there are sellers out there who are only out to get your money and sell defective products and threaten you with negative feedback and whatnot.

Final value fees and this new feedback rule are complete crappy bullshit. Are they trying to end the site?
Craigslist and CAG for me. I might try out Amazon. Their fee system concerns me too, but if you make more money, then I'll try it by all means. I think I may switch money markets as well. Ebay doesn't need my money if they're going to act even more retarded than before.

[quote name='davo1224']Their feedback system was fucked to begin with. What sort of system allows for people to freely and rampantly use extortion?[/QUOTE]

Uhh any site does allows feedbacks has the same system. CAG has it too. I can leave you negative feedback and you can retaliate with one also. Its how people abuse the system. Not the system abusing the system.

[quote name='iazybandit']Uhh any site does allows feedbacks has the same system. CAG has it too. I can leave you negative feedback and you can retaliate with one also. Its how people abuse the system. Not the system abusing the system.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Any site that allows feedback is susceptible to abuse. At the very least, though, there is generally a semblance of balance. Sellers will always be hurt more by a negative than buyers, but still, people usually want to avoid any bad feedback, no matter what end of the deal they are on. Now, buyers will have an absolute upper hand on sellers over at eBay. Not to pile on and beat the dead horse, but that's just awful business. Without sellers, eBay is useless.

bread's done
Back