ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

My account has been deactivated... I was kind of hoping to get the Gamefly one month membership before it happened, but whatever... Thanks everyone!

Just got the cancellation email. Tried logging into the site and it says it's deactivated. Thanks a lot to everyone who put this together.

[quote name='Vegan']I did a Google card and the box, but can still log in.[/QUOTE]

Same :\ I believe I was in the top 100 people that signed the google doc list. Not sure if they are going down the list or just randomly doing it.

Hopefully I'll get some sorta confirmation soon.

still not canceled and i was on the list, but good riddance.

600 cancellations * .44 for postage = $264 dollars. Yippeh

Got my physical letter 1 day after my email. Misspelled my first name on the label. Still made me smile more than most Christmas cards.

In slightly related news, I paid $55 and joined the EFF, an organization that is actively doing something to protect my digital rights, as opposed to ECA, which is an active part of the problem.

[quote name='Gourd']
Does anyone know of another mass mailing that is being set up, for those of us who missed this one?[/QUOTE]
I'd also like to know if there will be another one in the future. While my ECA membership isn't expiring until September of next year, I want to get this all cleared up while I still remember before I get an unexpected surprise.

[quote name='Raye']I'd also like to know if there will be another one in the future. While my ECA membership isn't expiring until September of next year, I want to get this all cleared up while I still remember before I get an unexpected surprise.[/QUOTE]

same here :bomb:

Got my cancellation confirmation in my email this morning. I didn't do a Google postcard, just put my name on the mass mailing so thanks so much for giving me peace of mind for Christmas!

So, it seems like I can't log in anymore, yet I did not get the cancellation e-mail and I still get daily ECA newsletters. o_O

Guys, this has been said so many times already, but once more . . . if you want another mass cancellation box, one (or more) of you needs to organize it.

First off, this wasn't some big official CAG action, it was organized by two people who were generous enough to put it together and send it, on their own time and money. Unless someone is willing to actually step up to the plate to do another one (and there is positively no reason that you should expect the people who did the last one to do so), it's not going to happen.

Secondly, the point to it wasn't just so that people could send their letters for free and with no personal effort, it was to make a statement by sending a large number of cancellation requests at once. Again, we didn't even know for certain that they'd actually accept the cancellations this way. Unless you can get a large number of people together again, rather than just a few stragglers who missed it the first time, it's not going to have that kind of impact. Honestly, even if you did manage to do so, what are the chances that receiving a second box would have the same effect anyway?

So really, if one of you wants to organize another box and thinks it will be worthwhile, then by all means step up and do it. Otherwise, you might as well stop asking about another box, go spend 44 cents on a stamp, and mail your own letter.

[quote name='arcane93']Guys, this has been said so many times already, but once more . . . if you want another mass cancellation box, one (or more) of you needs to organize it.

First off, this wasn't some big official CAG action, it was organized by two people who were generous enough to put it together and send it, on their own time and money. Unless someone is willing to actually step up to the plate to do another one (and there is positively no reason that you should expect the people who did the last one to do so), it's not going to happen.

Secondly, the point to it wasn't just so that people could send their letters for free and with no personal effort, it was to make a statement by sending a large number of cancellation requests at once. Again, we didn't even know for certain that they'd actually accept the cancellations this way. Unless you can get a large number of people together again, rather than just a few stragglers who missed it the first time, it's not going to have that kind of impact. Honestly, even if you did manage to do so, what are the chances that receiving a second box would have the same effect anyway?

So really, if one of you wants to organize another box and thinks it will be worthwhile, then by all means step up and do it. Otherwise, you might as well stop asking about another box, go spend 44 cents on a stamp, and mail your own letter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I do feel bad if you missed it the first time. That thread did get exponentially larger by the day. But if someone does step up, start a new thread in this section. Something like ECA Second Mailing. That way people will see it and it won't clutter this thread up with requests. Good luck!

[quote name='rinaka']So, it seems like I can't log in anymore, yet I did not get the cancellation e-mail and I still get daily ECA newsletters. o_O[/QUOTE]

I couldn't log in yesterday, but I only finally got my email this morning. For whatever reason, they seem to be on a bit of a delay with getting the emails sent out.

I can't speak to the daily newsletters, as I never subscribed to them in the first place, but they may be a separate subscription which you would need to opt out of separately. Maybe there are instructions for unsubscribing at the bottom of the newsletter?

Aaaand there's the e-mail confirmation. Whew.

[quote name='arcane93']Guys, this has been said so many times already, but once more . . . if you want another mass cancellation box, one (or more) of you needs to organize it.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to say that; people keep reading the first post, the last few replies and nothing else.

I was on the Doc list at like 75 or so and I just got this when I logged in.

The username LuisRM has not been activated or is blocked.

No letter or email yet though.

Still haven't gotten my email, but I did try to log in and got "The username matrixadw has not been activated or is blocked."

Guess that's a good sign :)

I still didn't get an email but my account appears to be cancelled. Thank you to everyone that made the cancellation box possible.

I was in that list but didn't get an email and I can still log into the site. I'm hoping they are just still in the process of working through that long list.

I was one of the last to sign the list and I haven't been processed yet. With as many people that have posted that their accounts were canceled I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time to process through them. I anxiously await the day my login attempt doesn't work.

No e-mail, got the not activated message. Thanks for all the help, will still be following up!

Edit: Got my e-mail, done with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my emails as well. Good to see that this whole ordeal is finally over. I will be printing hard copies of my emails just in case they try to charge me later.

Got my email as well. I would like to say thank you to the generous organizers of that box and whoever else was involved. Hopefully this ECA issue would be resolved soon.

I literally just got my cancellation email. Fantastic, glad this is over.

EDIT: But I can still log in? I guess once my account runs out I won't be able to?

[quote name='pandanaut']I literally just got my cancellation email. Fantastic, glad this is over.

EDIT: But I can still log in? I guess once my account runs out I won't be able to?[/QUOTE]

Most of us have been finding that we can't log in anymore, even before receiving the cancellation email. I'd give it a couple of days, and if you can still log in at that point, contact them and make sure they didn't screw something up.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Yes.

An individual letter was sent for each signer, as well as the overview, with all the "signatures" on it.

Weighed 8 pounds when it was all said and done, 718 (I think) names on the list.

Although there were some that had incomplete information, so you may want to continue to check and see if your membership has been cancelled.[/QUOTE]

I know it's a little late but thanks for answering this question. That was exactly what I needed to know.

Finally got this cancellation confirmation by email. Thanks Reira and the CAG who brought the letter to ECA. Awesome!

Looks like my account has been closed, as I can not log in.
I was about 80th on the CAG list, and I did send a gmail card prior - but they probably just threw those out, as there's no confirmation for it.

I have not yet received any communication from the ECA, whether by email or mail though.

I haven't received an email, but I found that I can't login today. I was between 250 and 300 on the list. I also sent a Google postcard.

[quote name='maximumzero']When did this CAG list happen? Why wasn't a mass PM or e-mail not sent out about it?[/QUOTE]

Because it wasn't organized by CAG. It was organized by a couple CAG volunteers, and was mentioned repeatedly in the previous thread. Folks added themselves to a shared google doc, and was up for at least a week. These kind folks then took it upon themselves to print out an individual cancellation letter for every individual on the list, and sent it all in one big box to the ECA.

This wasn't an official CAG effort, and so a mass email/PM to CAG members was infeasible. It probably wasn't even advisable, as I doubt the majority of CAG members were or are ECA members.

It's highly unlikely that the same people that implemented the mass cancellation box will volunteer their time, effort, and money again, if for no other reason that the effect won't be the same (i.e., demonstrating that there are more than just a few people disturbed by the ECA's shenanigans).

If you want to cancel your ECA account, you have two options: send your own letter, or wait until they fix their site, as they've claimed their implementing online cancellation.

I just received my ECA cancellation email. I sent the google postcard, but assume it's from the CAG certified mail list. Thanks Reira and all the other members who contributed to this effort.

[quote name='sickle']Looks like my account has been closed, as I can not log in.
I was about 80th on the CAG list, and I did send a gmail card prior - but they probably just threw those out, as there's no confirmation for it.

I have not yet received any communication from the ECA, whether by email or mail though.[/QUOTE]

I just got an email from the ECA confirming my cancellation, so they are going over the CAG list. Hang in there!

Just wondering, will they be mailing us a physical letter, as they were supposed to according to their own statement?

bread's done
Back