ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

Before everyone gets all crazy, someone who has actually been charged should seriously try contacting the ECA. So far it seems like only a couple of people have been charged, we don't know how big a problem this really is. I canceled using the website after they added the function and have not been charged again, I am pretty sure its been over a year. It may be some kind of mistake that occured with the people who mailed in their cancellation that can be corrected before others are charged.

[quote name='caltab']Before everyone gets all crazy, someone who has actually been charged should seriously try contacting the ECA. So far it seems like only a couple of people have been charged, we don't know how big a problem this really is. I canceled using the website after they added the function and have not been charged again, I am pretty sure its been over a year. It may be some kind of mistake that occured with the people who mailed in their cancellation that can be corrected before others are charged.[/QUOTE]
If that's true then they lied again. The email they sent said that all CC info had been removed from their records. If they removed it, how did they manage to charge people?

Dammit. Thanks for putting this back up top where people will see it. If you thought you had canceled but got charged anyway, are you able to log in to the site?

I get the username has not been activated or is blocked message. My renewal wouldn't have been up for awhile yet so as far as I know I haven't been charged anything. Guess I'm going to go ahead and check anyway.

[quote name='Brother Daz']When I try to log-in to the ECA site I get this message:
The username brotherdaz has not been activated or is blocked.

I dont know if that means anything or not[/QUOTE]

I got the same thing and hope that means my account with them has been canceled.

[quote name='killias2']Seriously, can we just sue them now or something? Anyone know a good lawyer?[/QUOTE]

Our own javeryh is a lawyer. There's no way we can afford his services or dashing good looks though.

am I in the clear? this is under My Account->Edit Account->Membership Status

You Currently have a

ECA Full Membership
You have been an active member since:

09/19/2009 10:06:11
Your payment history is:

Click here to view your order history
http://www.theeca.com/user/120852/ordersYou used coupon code:

GIMAG
Your Membership term will expire:

09/19/2010 10:09:32
And will auto renew to:

N/A
Your auto-renewal feature is:

Off

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If that's true then they lied again. The email they sent said that all CC info had been removed from their records. If they removed it, how did they manage to charge people?[/QUOTE]

so far i think 2 people have reported a problem, and I and a few others have said they were not auto renewed...so again, I don't think everyone should be jumping to the conclusion they are intentionally charging all of us against are will. At least contacting the ECA to see what they have to say seems prudent. Sure, they probably don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to alert them this is happening. People talking about suing them because 2 people were auto renewed without even bothering to see how big a problem this really is are really jumping the gun. The best thing to do is try and prevent it from happening to you in the first place by making sure the ECA knows they may have a problem.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Dammit. Thanks for putting this back up top where people will see it. If you thought you had canceled but got charged anyway, are you able to log in to the site?

I get the username has not been activated or is blocked message. My renewal wouldn't have been up for awhile yet so as far as I know I haven't been charged anything. Guess I'm going to go ahead and check anyway.[/QUOTE]

I also get "not been activated or is blocked" when I try to login. I got that before when I checked after my cancellation email.

Just to catch up, I joined back around September for free with the promotion and I immediatley canceled thru the site. But from what iv read they claim that cancelling thru the site was not processed and you have to mail a certified letter to them stating you want to cancel.

Is this still correct?

sucks for yall!

I remember paying them with my plasma donation card which had just barely over a dollar on it at the time (most merchants will verify that you have a dollar)

That card is staring at me, dusty. I do the same for all magazine and "free" products. That way if the shit bounces, oh well!

[quote name='caltab']so far i think 2 people have reported a problem, and I and a few others have said they were not auto renewed...so again, I don't think everyone should be jumping to the conclusion they are intentionally charging all of us against are will. At least contacting the ECA to see what they have to say seems prudent. Sure, they probably don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to alert them this is happening. People talking about suing them because 2 people were auto renewed without even bothering to see how big a problem this really is are really jumping the gun.[/QUOTE]
So either they're completely incompetent or money grubbing assholes. I don't see how either way they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

[quote name='killias2']Seriously, can we just sue them now or something? Anyone know a good lawyer?[/QUOTE]

Yeah something definitely needs done. I wasnt charged and wouldnt be until October but this is just ridiculous. I'd do a chargeback immediately then see what legal options there are.

It specifically says right in the cancellation email: "All credit card information relevant to processing your dues has been removed"...

Nice one, Hal.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']So either they're completely incompetent or money grubbing assholes. I don't see how either way they deserve the benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say they did...but tell me how it could hurt to at least tell them about it and see what they have to say before going all crazy with legal talk.

[quote name='caltab']so far i think 2 people have reported a problem, and I and a few others have said they were not auto renewed...so again, I don't think everyone should be jumping to the conclusion they are intentionally charging all of us against are will. At least contacting the ECA to see what they have to say seems prudent. Sure, they probably don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to alert them this is happening. People talking about suing them because 2 people were auto renewed without even bothering to see how big a problem this really is are really jumping the gun. The best thing to do is try and prevent it from happening to you in the first place by making sure the ECA knows they may have a problem.[/QUOTE]
They were already given the benefit of doubt once and stated they fixed this issue and it wouldn't occur so they don't deserve any respect at this point.

[quote name='caltab']I didn't say they did...but tell me how it could hurt to at least tell them about it and see what they have to say before going all crazy with legal talk.[/QUOTE]
Why help them out?

If they get enough chargebacks, maybe their CC processing company will drop them like a rock. Of course, they'll just find a new one, but maybe it will hurt them a little.

And I didn't make any "crazy legal talk" statements :)

[quote name='caltab']I didn't say they did...but tell me how it could hurt to at least tell them about it and see what they have to say before going all crazy with legal talk.[/QUOTE]

Great I'll tell them about it. The point is it doesn't even matter if it's on purpose or through Hals unending incompetence.

Edit: Ok they should know soon if they dont already I emailed them.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Why help them out?

If they get enough chargebacks, maybe their CC processing company will drop them like a rock. Of course, they'll just find a new one, but maybe it will hurt them a little.

And I didn't make any "crazy legal talk" statements :)[/QUOTE]

I know you didn't, but others have. It's not to help them out, its to help yourself out. If its another one of their glitches maybe they can fix it before you are charged and you won't have to deal with your CC company. If you were charged after canceling you are justified to be upset, but that hasn't happened to most yet.

[quote name='caltab']I know you didn't, but others have. It's not to help them out, its to help yourself out. If its another one of their glitches maybe they can fix it before you are charged and you won't have to deal with your CC company. If you were charged after canceling you are justified to be upset, but that hasn't happened to most yet.[/QUOTE]
It being 'another one of there glitches' is unacceptable at this point which is the general view of most reasonable cags at least in my view and as such they should have every right to be really pissed off.

[quote name='caltab']I know you didn't, but others have. It's not to help them out, its to help yourself out. If its another one of their glitches maybe they can fix it before you are charged and you won't have to deal with your CC company. If you were charged after canceling you are justified to be upset, but that hasn't happened to most yet.[/QUOTE]

It might truly be a mistake but fuck them. I already called this morning and disputed the charge. Because my dumbass used my bank credit card, they have to issue me a new one for some damn reason. So now I'm without a main card because of Hal.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']am I in the clear? this is under My Account->Edit Account->Membership Status[/QUOTE]

If you're even able to log in to see your membership status, you're probably not in the clear. Those of us who have canceled get the following message when we attempt to log in:

The username XXXXXXX has not been activated or is blocked.

Of course, from the sound of it, even those of us who get that aren't necessarily in the clear. Makes me that much more happy that I used a virtual account number that has long since expired.

[quote name='arcane93']If you're even able to log in to see your membership status, you're probably not in the clear. Those of us who have canceled get the following message when we attempt to log in:

Of course, from the sound of it, even those of us who get that aren't necessarily in the clear. Makes me that much more happy that I used a virtual account number that has long since expired.[/QUOTE]

i also used a virtual account number from paypal. hope they don't find a way to charge me long after it expired.

[quote name='Kelegacy']This scam of a company shouldn't have an A rating with the BBB.[/QUOTE]

They only have that because most people that complained didn't follow through.

Just keep your membership. This is not a discount club, dammit! It's a legitimate organization that fights for the rights of video gamers in the political arena, including issues such as unfair censorship. And like all political organizations, it may have some managerial issues. Most staff probably do this in their spare time and get paid peanuts. This is not a traditional "company".

Awww geez...... Thank god I waited since mine renews in the next month or two instead of the letter. They put the no auto renew option for us to edit (for reals this time) so I just canceled it and done.

If you have it documented that they canceled it and you still got charged, call your bank and dispute the charge ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you got an overdraft fee because of them, the dispute of the charge should reverse it (be sure to tell your bank that).

The ECA could be sooooooo super duper fantastico! I really hope they get their shit together and that no one else has this problem. If this turns into a big problem, I'll get Horatio Caine on the case......

david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Just keep your membership. This is not a discount club, dammit! It's a legitimate organization that fights for the rights of video gamers in the political arena, including issues such as unfair censorship. And like all political organizations, it may have some managerial issues. Most staff probably do this in their spare time and get paid peanuts. This is not a traditional "company".[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm? We're talking about unauthorized charges right now.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Just keep your membership. This is not a discount club, dammit! It's a legitimate organization that fights for the rights of video gamers in the political arena, including issues such as unfair censorship. And like all political organizations, it may have some managerial issues. Most staff probably do this in their spare time and get paid peanuts. This is not a traditional "company".[/QUOTE]
Show me one thing the ECA has actually done to defend gamer rights.

The EFF is a much better grass roots organization, and hasn't tried to repeatedly rape my wallet.

Oh, and if you think ECA is against unfair censorship, try posting ANYTHING remotely critical of the ECA in their forums.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Thanks to those who brought this issue up. I was, in fact, charged $19.99 even though I canceled back when everyone else did. These people suck. Disputing charges now.

Legitimate in the fact they act contrary to their beliefs and steal people's money? Where do I sign up? :roll:

[quote name='ElektroDragon'] Most staff probably ... get paid peanuts. [/QUOTE]

Dood. Welcome to 99.999999% of all businesses.

I see our resident ECA troll is back.

Are you kidding?

Sorry, but I'm not a charity. An organization that wants my money has to earn it. I gave the ECA more than adequate chance to prove that it was doing so and convince me that they deserved it, and they failed on just about every possible level.

if you were charged it would helpful to say how you canceled, I did so online and 1 other person said they did and we were both not charged, so it may be only those who did so using the letter(which is quite a few CAGS). If this is the case, anyone who hasn't canceled and wishes to do so may be able to prevent a charge by using the website.

Sounds like a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen! I've seen suits for much more trivial issues, and it feels like something needs to be done on principle. The terms should force the ECA to shred all customer financial information they have ever had, causing current members to re-enter their info if they want to continue being a member. Tack on the false advertising allegations if so.

I think it'd add to the thread if someone posted instructions on how to enact a chargeback if/when this happens and an idea of how things will play out when doing so.

Thanks for the sticky. I had this thread bookmarked but my subscription wasn't set to auto-renew until September so I hadn't actually got around to canceling yet.

Today I did it online, got a cancellation email and it now says my user name has not been activated or is blocked when I try to log in. I am hoping that is sufficient and sending in a letter is no longer necessary but who knows with ECA.

Good thing this popped up, as I nearly forgot about my membership to them. I logged in and found out that I had until 6/22/10 till it expired, but I quickly selected and confirmed the "No additional term" option.

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']Sounds like a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen! I've seen suits for much more trivial issues, and it feels like something needs to be done on principle. The terms should force the ECA to shred all customer financial information they have ever had, causing current members to re-enter their info if they want to continue being a member. Tack on the false advertising allegations if so.

I think it'd add to the thread if someone posted instructions on how to enact a chargeback if/when this happens and an idea of how things will play out when doing so.[/QUOTE]

This link gives the basics of what a chargeback is: http://www.consumercreditcardguide.com/credit-card-help/how-chargebacks-work-2
They'll be screwed if they get too many.

Will you only be charged a year after you registered? I signed up around June.

I had to change my CC number, so hopefully that prevents a charge.

[quote name='icedrake523']Will you only be charged a year after you registered? I signed up around June.

I had to change my CC number, so hopefully that prevents a charge.[/QUOTE]

Nah, hate to tell ya this, but they're still able to push a charge through if they really wanted to. It's supposedly done for business protection just in case of consumer fraud or some garbage like that. I tried to have this done when all this crap originally started and was told this.

bread's done
Back