ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jacknicklson']I take it you have never seen what Amazon can do on Black Friday? You are in for a treat :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Purkeynator']Here's a link to what Amazon had last year at Black Friday http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?f=556[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah, my friends. Amazon was almost my one stop shop for Christmas last year. Between the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and that buy 10 Blu-ray deal (where I ended up paying ~$8 a movie), there really wasn't much of a reason to check anywhere else.

jack you may want to add how to get to the membership benefits page...because apparently its difficult for some people.

When your on the home page of the ECA, there will be a yellow box on the left side that says "MEMBER INFO". Under that text there is a link that says Visit Members Area. Click that and it will take you to the benefits page.

my apology if this has asnwered before, but I couldn't find it.
I've applied 3-4 ECA J-Codes last month and never used them at all.
I would like to buy COD:MW1 from lightning deal(still in cart) with ECA code, but wondering if I can get another 10% discount on future orders since I've applied multiple codes under my account.

[quote name='kjay80']my apology if this has asnwered before, but I couldn't find it.
I've applied 3-4 ECA J-Codes last month and never used them at all.
I would like to buy COD:MW1 from lightning deal(still in cart) with ECA code, but wondering if I can get another 10% discount on future orders since I've applied multiple codes under my account.[/QUOTE]

Yes, once you use one "J" code the next will work and so on until all are exhausted. Now just want to forworn you that the "J" code could just get terminated like the the "L" and "66" code so I would try to use soon. I have a few myself in my account but have already bought most of the games I want including pre-orders already except Afrika which isn't in stock right now.

[quote name='3rdbass']Yes, once you use one "J" code the next will work and so on until all are exhausted. Now just want to forworn you that the "J" code could just get terminated like the the "L" and "66" code so I would try to use soon. I have a few myself in my account but have already bought most of the games I want including pre-orders already except Afrika which isn't in stock right now.[/QUOTE]

one more question, when i was applying different(all J) codes, it says coupon already applied.
what does this mean? Did I apply multiple codes successfully?

Also, is one code good for the discounts on multiple video games in one transaction?

Im glad its free, after seeing how its been over the past few weeks, I would not have paid for it. Anytime I see something I want on Amazon, the codes are down.

i'm speculating, but I think even if the system was "fixed", I think Amazon would probably wait until after their 2 for 1 deal is done..

[quote name='jacknicklson']I take it you have never seen what Amazon can do on Black Friday? You are in for a treat :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am glad my Prime Trial will still be good come Black Friday. Stay up until 2AM on BF, clean up and miss having to fight the crowds at B&M stores. Can't beat it :D

[quote name='geogerf']i'm speculating, but I think even if the system was "fixed", I think Amazon would probably wait until after their 2 for 1 deal is done..[/QUOTE]

Sadly I can see that.

And there is no "recourse". Simply put, those who want to cancel their membership, that's fine, but if they read the terms and conditions agreed on what was promised were benefits not just "The Amazon Benefit". And there are plenty of benefits active and upcoming. Obviously no refund like most associations because it's easy to take codes and use benefits and then ask for a refund. So it's common sense, to just sit and wait and maybe even research the organization you are badmouthing, or take advantage of some of the other benefits.

BTW, take it out on the benefits side, but the other stuff our GA department works tirelessly on has never been subject to complaint before especially by folks who only signed up for benefits (thus didn't ever do research on what we actually do). So again, I suggest doing some research beyond the benefit section before calling everything we do inept and useless.

Thank you for those who have patience and understand there are other benefits that we provide (not just the Amazon one).

Or the countless others like the folks I met at PAX who waved me aside when I mentioned benefits and said, "Actually, I don't care about benefits. Tell me what you do and how I can help". It was like the Age of Enlightenment among gamers.

Also thank you to the CAG staff for keeping everyone up to date. I also had to start a new thread and just closed the current one because if there is nothing to update about people will obviously just use the space to mention the same thing already addressed.

/rant

Thanks for the update and two cents, Gypsy. Obviously there are a lot of people here taking their frustrations out on the ECA when Amazon is the one who's in control of this situation. I guess they feel ripped off but really they should have known what they were paying for in the gran scheme of things. I wonder how many people actually knew what the ECA was before all the Amazon perks popped up.

Obviously it's fruitless to argue with them since they'll parse semantics to death. Hell, I paid for my membership and I don't feel I was robbed. If anything, I want to see those fees at work with this non sense bill Yee is still trying to pass here in California on violent video games. At a time like this it seems like a total waste of resources.

[quote name='Gypsyfly PMS']Ouch, I've never been called a prick before and I've managed to wave my sarcasm wand over a few forums. I'll check that off my administrator bucket list.:applause: Next up is get stalked and I see a few folks here that look like they are ready to set their GPS.

I don' mind taking the abuse on behalf of ECA, trust me being an admin and part of a well known clan I know how to handle it. So no I'm not going to cry my eyes out for a benefit that seems to run your vital functions.

Especially, when we've mentioned countless times that it will be back and it's up to Amazon when they do since they are fixing the stacking issue some people were taking advantage of (maybe the same people complaining). Who knows if they found another glitch or exploit in the process and are working on it. This is as new for them as it is for us I believe (giving a recurrent code to many users). Last word I got they are starting to work on the one multi-use code.

I rather wait for all that then get more faulty codes and go through another wave of Amawhine.

And there is no "recourse". Simply put, those who want to cancel their membership, that's fine, but if they read the terms and conditions agreed on what was promised were benefits not just "The Amazon Benefit". And there are plenty of benefits active and upcoming. Obviously no refund like most associations because it's easy to take codes and use benefits and then ask for a refund. So it's common sense, to just sit and wait and maybe even research the organization you are badmouthing, or take advantage of some of the other benefits.

BTW, take it out on the benefits side, but the other stuff our GA department works tirelessly on has never been subject to complaint before especially by folks who only signed up for benefits (thus didn't ever do research on what we actually do). So again, I suggest doing some research beyond the benefit section before calling everything we do inept and useless.

Thank you for those who have patience and understand there are other benefits that we provide (not just the Amazon one).

Or the countless others like the folks I met at PAX who waved me aside when I mentioned benefits and said, "Actually, I don't care about benefits. Tell me what you do and how I can help". It was like the Age of Enlightenment among gamers.

Also thank you to the CAG staff for keeping everyone up to date. I also had to start a new thread and just closed the current one because if there is nothing to update about people will obviously just use the space to mention the same thing already addressed.

/rant[/QUOTE]

Thank You.:applause:

For some reason it really annoys me seeing people being angry at ECA for not having Amazon codes at the moment, seeing as how it's all up to Amazon anyway. It's like being angry at a retailer because the manufacturer stopped making a product (now that i think about it, i worked 4 years at Circuit City and dealt with situations like this..maybe that's why).

And on a completely different note, maybe Gypsyfly can provide an answer. I remember seeing before that one of the other benefits from ECA was a discount on PAX East tickets, and now that I see PAX registration has opened, I can't find the discount on ECA anymore. Is there any word on what happened? Will the discount be back?

[quote name='Shady3011']Oh wow. That's the first time I've ever heard that and it certainly is way fucking lamer than wambulance.[/QUOTE]

I guess it goes hand in hand with the lame response.

[quote name='y2jasper']Thank You.:applause:

For some reason it really annoys me seeing people being angry at ECA for not having Amazon codes at the moment, seeing as how it's all up to Amazon anyway. It's like being angry at a retailer because the manufacturer stopped making a product (now that i think about it, i worked 4 years at Circuit City and dealt with situations like this..maybe that's why).

And on a completely different note, maybe Gypsyfly can provide an answer. I remember seeing before that one of the other benefits from ECA was a discount on PAX East tickets, and now that I see PAX registration has opened, I can't find the discount on ECA anymore. Is there any word on what happened? Will the discount be back?[/QUOTE]

I'll try to find out about the PAX East discount. We'll be there:)

[quote name='damanjeff6']those are some great deals for black friday last year... might need to hold on to my amazon trade in codes til then[/QUOTE]

what are trade in codes?

[quote name='Gypsyfly PMS']Ouch, I've never been called a prick before and I've managed to wave my sarcasm wand over a few forums. I'll check that off my administrator bucket list.:applause: Next up is get stalked and I see a few folks here that look like they are ready to set their GPS.

I don' mind taking the abuse on behalf of ECA, trust me being an admin and part of a well known clan I know how to handle it. So no I'm not going to cry my eyes out for a benefit that seems to run your vital functions.

Especially, when we've mentioned countless times that it will be back and it's up to Amazon when they do since they are fixing the stacking issue some people were taking advantage of (maybe the same people complaining). Who knows if they found another glitch or exploit in the process and are working on it. This is as new for them as it is for us I believe (giving a recurrent code to many users). Last word I got they are starting to work on the one multi-use code.

I rather wait for all that then get more faulty codes and go through another wave of Amawhine.

/rant[/QUOTE]

I notice that in your little textwall, you were never able to dispute my assertion that the ECA has accomplished NOTHING. So I was wondering if here, in this thread, you could tell us all what the ECA has accomplished with relation to the "ADVOCACY & GOVERNMENT RELATIONS" advertised on your front page. I wait with great anticipation to see your long list of political victories. Or are your expansive "advocacy" efforts limited to having people click your webpage to send pre-filled letters that nobody reads? Tell us about a political issue where the ECA intervened and played a significant role in having the issue decided in your favor. As far as I know, gamers are still being raped with DRM and the ECA is still a joke.

As advertised
The Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA) is a 501(c)(4) non-profit membership organization established to serve the needs of those who play computer and video games. Formed in 2006, the ECA is an advocacy organization for consumers of interactive entertainment
If you want to take action here take action
http://action.theeca.com/t/2858/content.jsp?content_KEY=2159

ECA is member based... its up to US(the gamers) to take action to enact change. Sadly, most of us joined only for the Amazon discount not any sort political action.

[quote name='JCDenton']I notice that in your little textwall, you were never able to dispute my assertion that the ECA has accomplished NOTHING. So I was wondering if here, in this thread, you could tell us all what the ECA has accomplished with relation to the "ADVOCACY & GOVERNMENT RELATIONS" advertised on your front page. I wait with great anticipation to see your long list of political victories. Or are your expansive "advocacy" efforts limited to having people click your webpage to send pre-filled letters that nobody reads? Tell us about a political issue where the ECA intervened and played a significant role in having the issue decided in your favor. As far as I know, gamers are still being raped with DRM and the ECA is still a joke.[/QUOTE]

Do you understand how the political process works? You need advocacy and groups like the ECA to move the process forward. You don't just give your 20 bucks and bam your wishes happen. Believe me, as an Obama voter I know what its like to be waiting on something to happen.

Anyways, I really hope they get the codes fixed for Cyber Monday. That will be great.

/rant[/QUOTE]
I appreciate all you do for the ECA. Don't let people being angry or rude towards you/the ECA get to you. You don't look good when you use sarcasm and talk negatively. I'm sure it must be aggravating to deal with the crap people are posting.

[quote name='kodave']
The bottom line is, they'll draw any analogy or come up with any justification for the GI code, so there's no use talking to them about it, and really no use opening that can of worms here again. The damage has been done, membership is free, and at this point all we can hope for is that Amazon doesn't pull out of the ECA deal completely and re-instates the 10% off codes after this B2G1 sale ends.[/QUOTE]
The GI code was a very smart move for the health of the ECA, hopefully a lot of free members will realize they should support the ECA even if it's just mostly for the benefits. The ECA may have been better if they had the join free option before they started charging for it. However, complaining about the ECA because of codes needs to stop because it's not their fault.

[quote name='JCDenton']I notice that in your little textwall, you were never able to dispute my assertion that the ECA has accomplished NOTHING. So I was wondering if here, in this thread, you could tell us all what the ECA has accomplished with relation to the "ADVOCACY & GOVERNMENT RELATIONS" advertised on your front page. I wait with great anticipation to see your long list of political victories. Or are your expansive "advocacy" efforts limited to having people click your webpage to send pre-filled letters that nobody reads? Tell us about a political issue where the ECA intervened and played a significant role in having the issue decided in your favor. As far as I know, gamers are still being raped with DRM and the ECA is still a joke.[/QUOTE]
I think when you call someone a prick and basically rip on everything they do, you aren't entitled to then ask for clarification/justification from them. I think you just get to go fume in a dark corner while the rest of us continue to be civil.

You're not the only one who's upset; you're just the only one to sink to that pitiful level.

[quote name='tominater12']Ok so is this coupon code still working and do you still need a credit card with the code?[/QUOTE]

Well I just answered my own question you do.

Thank you Ms. GypsyFly for the update. I hope the ECA and Amazon take all the time they need to get the new codes out so long as they keep stacka-stacky!

[quote name='ViolentLee']I think when you call someone a prick and basically rip on everything they do, you aren't entitled to then ask for clarification/justification from them. I think you just get to go fume in a dark corner while the rest of us continue to be civil.

You're not the only one who's upset; you're just the only one to sink to that pitiful level.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='J7.']The GI code was a very smart move for the health of the ECA, hopefully a lot of free members will realize they should support the ECA even if it's just mostly for the benefits. The ECA may have been better if they had the join free option before they started charging for it..[/QUOTE]

the percentage of free users who might care enough to then donate or become paying members is going to incredibly small

[quote name='buckythekat']the percentage of free users who might care enough to then donate or become paying members is going to incredibly small[/QUOTE]

I concur 100% ... GIMAG users are SlickDeals folks who will not renew. Also GIMAG was when stacking went viral.

Um, I don't know any subscribers who are renewing without ECA codes. With them I think a lot of people would renew. ECA is retarded as fuck for doing that. CAG is huge whether you all want to believe it or not.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Um, I don't know any subscribers who are renewing without ECA codes. With them I think a lot of people would renew. ECA is retarded as fuck for doing that. CAG is huge whether you all want to believe it or not.[/QUOTE]

actually quite honestly CAG pales in size compared to SlickDeals

[quote name='Gypsyfly PMS']Or the countless others like the folks I met at PAX who waved me aside when I mentioned benefits and said, "Actually, I don't care about benefits. Tell me what you do and how I can help". It was like the Age of Enlightenment among gamers.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool. I can definitely say those people are much more enlightened than myself ;). Paid for my membership a few months ago, worth every penny(x100) and then some. Looking forward to re-usable codes.

Oh wait, I'm in the eca thread and I'm being positive...right....uh....GET THE DURNED CODES UP YOU GUYZ(even though that's amazon's job and everything about the codes falls to them except actually giving them to eca members). There, idiot quota met.

[quote name='buckythekat']the percentage of free users who might care enough to then donate or become paying members is going to incredibly small[/QUOTE]
Last time I checked GI had what over a million subscribers? Seems like a good choice to spread a free membership that many will find worth renewing, like I plan to, plus others will have it automatically renew on them. Even if they only get a fraction to renew that's a huge increase over not doing the promo.

If they iron out this Amazon codes issue, I'd be more than happy to renew my membership and actually pay for it. The discount pretty much covers release date shipping, and if I buy ~3 games a year from them, I break even and get my games quicker.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Um, I don't know any subscribers who are renewing without ECA codes.[/QUOTE]
I will.

The Amazon benefit is fantastic, but the ECA is there for gamers and I don't mind shelling out 20 bones a year to support their cause.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']If they iron out this Amazon codes issue, I'd be more than happy to renew my membership and actually pay for it. The discount pretty much covers release date shipping, and if I buy ~3 games a year from them, I break even and get my games quicker.[/QUOTE]

When I signed up for the free membership, I had no intention of renewing but now I think paying the $20 for a year is definitely worth it (as long as the codes are brought back). Getting an extra 10% off on the DotD is awesome. Combine that with no tax, free shipping and the occasional deal and I'm more inclined to spend my *gasp* money at Amazon (I make the majority of my video game purchases with GS credit). With Black Friday just around the corner, everyone should take advantage of this.

Not sure if it's a glitch or not, but last night I pre ordered NSMB Wii and the 10% was applied automatically. I didnt have to do anything. Today I placed Demon's Soul`s in my cart and went to the check out screen...the 10% was automatically taken off, once again. This happen to anyone else?

Part of me wonders if giving out the free memberships is confusing people what the ECA is. Its a Politcal Action Committee (capitalization on purpose), not a coupon generation machine. If you don't care about politics or gamers' rights in the way the ECA describes it, then don't join and complain about the lack of coupons. Jeez...

Anyways, hope they get the codes back.

[quote name='udabenshen']Part of me wonders if giving out the free memberships is confusing people what the ECA is. Its a Politcal Action Committee (capitalization on purpose), not a coupon generation machine. If you don't care about politics or gamers' rights in the way the ECA describes it, then don't join and complain about the lack of coupons. Jeez...

Anyways, hope they get the codes back.[/QUOTE]

The vast, VAST, majority could care less what the ECA is or is about. We only care about that sweet amazon code. Sad maybe, but this is CAG ;)

[quote name='Sancho1978']Not sure if it's a glitch or not, but last night I pre ordered NSMB Wii and the 10% was applied automatically. I didnt have to do anything. Today I placed Demon's Soul`s in my cart and went to the check out screen...the 10% was automatically taken off, once again. This happen to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

It just means you still have some old coupons linked to your account. Same thing is happening with me, there just isn't anything I want right now.

it's nice to see some civility in this thread for a change

I'm a free member and I joined for the codes, but I respect what the ECA is trying to do. Of course I want the codes back, but since I didn't pay for the membership I honestly can't say I'm the least bit obligated to have them. Besides which, there are a bunch of other benefits on the site as well.

Thanks to GypsyFly and everyone else over at the ECA, keep doin' what you do.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Well if past history is any indication, I fear the codes will probably be down the whole week of black friday.[/QUOTE]

assuming nothing more happens I should still have codes tied to my account come Black Friday :)

mostly since there's nothing I want right now

Just an FYI:

You guys can place an order and ask amazon to apply 10% discount for you if you do not have a code. YMMV, but I have not heard of anyone being turned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back