ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='benjamouth']Nice, just worked out the ECA discounts have saved me $84.40 so far, not too shabby![/QUOTE]

I'm just curious, could you please provide a list of all the titles that you bought with the discount? I'd like to see what quality of games ECA motivated you to buy...

Considering how I've sworn to never buy games from Gamestop or Best Buy, leaving me with a very limited selection of places in my area, I would gladly pay a $20 ECA membership to get the continued 10% off at Amazon. The only downside is that I get games on the Fridays of the release week, but then again, I don't have much free time until the weekend so it doesn't matter much.

[quote name='J7.']Last time I checked GI had what over a million subscribers? Seems like a good choice to spread a free membership that many will find worth renewing, like I plan to, plus others will have it automatically renew on them. Even if they only get a fraction to renew that's a huge increase over not doing the promo.[/QUOTE]
At least 3.5 million, I believe.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I'm just curious, could you please provide a list of all the titles that you bought with the discount? I'd like to see what quality of games ECA motivated you to buy...[/QUOTE]

Sure, PM sent.

[quote name='slowdive21']Just an FYI:

You guys can place an order and ask amazon to apply 10% discount for you if you do not have a code. YMMV, but I have not heard of anyone being turned down.[/QUOTE]

So I should make the order and then call them saying I have an ECA account and would like them to apply it to my order I just made?

[quote name='slidecage']its a one time credit... they did it for me once never tired it again since they said they would do it as a one time credit[/QUOTE]
I think that's in the closing of the customer support script at Amazon. Even things like checking up on the price changes under their preorder price guarantee gets me responses like "As a one time credit..."

[quote name='judgedee']As advertised

If you want to take action here take action
http://action.theeca.com/t/2858/content.jsp?content_KEY=2159

ECA is member based... its up to US(the gamers) to take action to enact change. Sadly, most of us joined only for the Amazon discount not any sort political action.

I seriously can't believe you're trying to imply ECA tricked you in some way.[/QUOTE]

The point of lobbying is definitely not to have members enact change on their own. Instead, interest groups pool money from their members together and use it to influence politicians in ways that members could not accomplish by themselves. Why would anyone pay money to an interest group for the privilege of being able to write letters, which they could have already done for free? An example of something I'd expect from a useful, non-joke ECA is finding a sympathetic congressman and working with him to introduce legislation requiring software companies to adhere to the first sale doctrine. But the ECA doesn't do anything like that ... in fact, the ECA doesn't do much of anything.

Now granted, they didn't "trick" me on that front because I knew that like many small nonprofits, they were useless and inept politically. Many nonprofits are just a vehicle for the administrators to semi-legally have a bit of fun using other people's money, and the ECA is no different. How they did trick me is that I did reasonably expect to get the benefits that I paid my membership dues in exchange for. I didn't expect that they would suddenly start handing out memberships for free, causing benefit providers to yank benefits from paying members after the influx of new freeloaders.

[quote name='udabenshen']Do you understand how the political process works? You need advocacy and groups like the ECA to move the process forward. You don't just give your 20 bucks and bam your wishes happen. Believe me, as an Obama voter I know what its like to be waiting on something to happen.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's fine, tell me how they've "moved the process forward." The ECA has been around since 2006 btw. As for Obama, his accomplishments are numerous. Were you expecting something else? It has always been his stated goal to destroy capitalism and "return the nation's wealth to its rightful owners" as he puts it. The real unemployment rate is 17% and rising, massive tax increases are about to destroy upward mobility for young people, and he was able to place an avowed racist on the supreme court. Mission accomplished I'd say.

I like that you continue to think it was the free subscribers that got the codes pulled

if more people hadn't shown up nobody would have noticed you exploiting the codes, right?

[quote name='ViolentLee']At least 3.5 million, I believe.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was that high but I was no longer sure so I lowballed it. Thanks for the info. So even if a small fraction renew they should be looking at a couple hundred thousand members paying to renew.

[quote name='JCDenton']Yammering on and on [/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, did you really type that entire post of bullshit because YOU CAN'T GET 10% OFF VIDEO GAMES? Winter's coming, go hibernate, the codes will be back.

As someone who paid for his ECA membership back in July, I will say I think giving out the free memberships was a mistake. It's not that I haven't gotten a tremendous benefit from my paid membership (used my first code to puchase the RB Ion Drums which instantly got me my money back), but allowing people to come in and reap all the benefits of the membership without contributing anything to the cause is never a good idea.

Of course, I understand the desire to increase awareness, membership, and eventually financial support, but I did feel mildly snubbed that my $15 membership lumped me into the same category as a bunch of people only looking to bleed the system dry. Maybe giving those free memberships a limited benefit package (2 Amazon coupons, 1 Gamefly trial, etc.) would have been a better approach. This would have familiarized people with the group and also given them a taste of the benefits they would receive as full paying members.

Obviously, the ECA exists for far more reasons than to give people discounts, but you can't deny that's what you're drawing people in with. I'm not upset with the ECA by any means because like I said, I appreciate what they do and I've already earned my money back as a result of the Amazon discounts. HOWEVER, I do feel they could have handled the free memberships better, and done a better job making me feel like my paid membership actually mattered.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']As someone who paid for his ECA membership back in July,
I did feel mildly snubbed that my $15 membership lumped me into the same category as a bunch of people only looking to bleed the system dry. ...
[/QUOTE]
You got a discounted membership. Maybe you shouldn't get the full benefits either. How about 3 amazon codes max.

For those who are saying: "I support the cause regardless of the benefits, I'll definitely renew even though I got it for free" - Why did you join with the free membership in the first place then? Why not write them a check for $20 or even more right now? Money today is worth more than your money a year from now - so surely you'd be helping the cause more now.

I support other charities but I do it on my own terms. I don't throw $20 to the Red Cross for every disaster or whenever the ASPCA sends me free address labels. But I'll donate when I can and how much I can.

With the ECA - we're paying for the benefits, plain and simple. If they want to be more like a charity, then send me free codes and I'll decide how much to donate and when, and they can decide if I'm still worth giving gifts to to pursue for donations.

Instead they're trying to be like AAA where I pay a membership fee to have my car towed, and they come tow it.

You can't have it both ways.

[quote name='basketb']You got a discounted membership. Maybe you shouldn't get the full benefits either. How about 3 amazon codes max.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true freeloader. $15 is the military/student rate. That's not the same thing as allowing a bunch of leeches in who have no incentive to respect the membership and use the codes fairly. It just makes poor business sense to give a worthwhile benefit away to thousands of people. But don't let logic get in the way of your argument. :roll:

Also, I'm not saying the abuse of codes wasn't taking place before the free memberships were given out. Honestly, the code distribution system has always been a little strange (a set number of codes for a large group of people to claim essentially based on the honor system?), and they had problems with it from the beginning. But knowing this, opening the flood gates was the last thing that should have happened.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']It just makes poor business sense to give a worthwhile benefit away to thousands of people. But don't let logic get in the way of your argument. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Poor as you might think it is, or anyone on this forum(yes, me included, somewhat), it's their organization and they already did this. Like 6 freaking weeks ago? Why are we even still arguing about this?

[quote name='Vortextk']Poor as you might think it is, or anyone on this forum(yes, me included, somewhat), it's their organization and they already did this. Like 6 freaking weeks ago? Why are we even still arguing about this?[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't been involved in the argument (just looked at this thread for the first time today). I just found it ironic that the people complaining most about the codes being down are more than likely the ones who caused the problem. That's all I'm saying.

the simple point is ECA dont give a #$#$# about you. They gave the free code out just to make it look like they had 100,000 people join their site.. they now can go to sponcers and go

we have 150,000 people who look at our site probally compair to 10,000 who paid the 20 bucks

This thread is about getting a FREE one year subscription to ECA and the benefits to being a member. Although those benefits may change at any time.

If there are further complaints in here about the ECA and what you do or do not get with your FREE membership, or you feel the need to reply (instead of reporting the derailing posts) to anyone who complains and yours were one or more of the massive amount of posts I just deleted, I'm going to silence or ban you.

Also, this thread is NOT to discuss your hatred of Amazon or the ECA. If you wish to create a thread about those grievances, do so in the Shopping Discussion/ Bragging rights Forum.

[quote name='Corvin']Good to see the new thread is the same as the old thread. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Not when I'm around it isn't.

[quote name='Lostcase']I'm lost, whats going on? What's ECA?[/QUOTE]Read the OP!!!

[quote name='guinaevere']This thread is about getting a FREE one year subscription to ECA. There are benefits to being a member, and those benefits may change at any time.

If there are further complaints in here about the ECA and what you do or do not get with your FREE membership, or you feel the need to reply (instead of reporting the derailing posts) to anyone who complains and yours were one or more of the massive amount of posts I just deleted, I'm going to silence or ban you.

Also, this thread is NOT about Amazon. If you wish to discuss Amazon, create a thread in the Shopping Discussion/ Bragging rights Forum.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this thread about a bit more than just getting a free membership? I'm not talking about the amazon codes, benefits up/down, etc. but there IS more to the ECA than just getting a free membership...

[quote name='guinaevere']This thread is about getting a FREE one year subscription to ECA. There are benefits to being a member, and those benefits may change at any time.

Also, this thread is NOT about Amazon. If you wish to discuss Amazon, create a thread in the Shopping Discussion/ Bragging rights Forum.[/QUOTE]

yikes i wonder how many people he/she banned because of this. Oh well i guess something has to be done with the redundancy of complaints.

What's the matter? Are you too big of a pussy to handle an honest debate so you need to ban people who disagree with you? Go ahead and prove me right.

Edit: I wonder what CAG's cut of each subscription is. That's the only explanation for this...that CAG is on the take. Otherwise there wouldn't be constant silencing and censorship of the vast majority of people who paid for memberships and are unhappy that they were ripped off.

Also, this thread is NOT about Amazon. If you wish to discuss Amazon, create a thread in the Shopping Discussion/ Bragging rights Forum.[/QUOTE]She won't be the only one doing it, either.

[quote name='JCDenton']What's the matter? Are you too big of a pussy to handle an honest debate so you need to ban people who disagree with you? Go ahead and prove me right.

Edit: I wonder what CAG's cut of each subscription is. That's the only explanation for this...that CAG is on the take. Otherwise there wouldn't be constant silencing and censorship of the vast majority of people who paid for memberships and are unhappy that they were ripped off.[/QUOTE]There's no cut at all from CAG. CAG gets nothing from the ECA for paid subscriptions.

You're not doing anything except attacking people in the thread, and your "honest debate" is nothing more than lightly-veiled anger towards the ECA and their actions.

If you don't think they're doing anything, cancel your membership so you can't be counted among their members. Paid or otherwise.

[quote name='unclenebber']Try moderating your emotions. Threats are pretty ridiculous.[/QUOTE]The same could be said for all the complaining and whining about the codes being up or down, when it's not completely the ECA's issue with them not being up and working.

I'm all for banning people, just not threatening people in a very immature condescending way. Most who are reading these threads aren't causing problems.

I don't think I've ever seen a moderator react quite like that. I'm not saying it is good or bad. I've just never seen it. That being said, isn't it forum activity a good thing?

Sure, it's a good thing. But not when it's uncivil bickering or complaining, which is exactly what the previous thread was and what this was turning into.

I'll put it this way. The ECA was made to give gamers a voice. Hopefully the ECA is using their funds to fight the Jack Thompsons and Joe Liebermans out there.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Sure, it's a good thing. But not when it's uncivil bickering or complaining, which is exactly what the previous thread was and what this was turning into.[/QUOTE]And that's what a great deal of the last group of posts in the last thread was littered with.

There's no need for this thread to devolve into what the other one ended on, and it's a hope that people get the hint and express their opinions in a civil and polite manner.

Calling people "pricks", not that productive.

[quote name='shrike4242']She won't be the only one doing it, either.
You're not doing anything except attacking people in the thread, and your "honest debate" is nothing more than lightly-veiled anger towards the ECA and their actions.
If you don't think they're doing anything, cancel your membership so you can't be counted among their members. Paid or otherwise.
[/QUOTE]

God forbid that anyone express an opinion on the merits of the ECA in a thread about the ECA. I never attacked you in this thread, you must be having flashbacks to all of those times I pwned you and made everyone laugh at you on GameTZ, but that's neither here nor there. we're friends now and there's no bad blood. Undelete my posts and let people determine for themselves if they are made in the spirit of honest debate or not.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Calling people "pricks", not that productive.[/QUOTE]

p.s.

That was the most productive thing anyone has done in this thread because it shamed an ECA representative into coming over here, engaging the community, and attempting to justify their wrongful actions.

Awesome totally awesome. Quick question. I bought demon souls today and I preordered modern warfare prestege edition. Is there a way to apply the discount? TIA

[quote name='JCDenton']p.s.

That was the most productive thing anyone has done in this thread because it shamed an ECA representative into coming over here, engaging the community, and attempting to justify their wrongful actions.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the act of calling out bad behavior gets punished rather than the bad behavior itself. Unfortunately it is the society we live in.

[quote name='JCDenton']God forbid that anyone express an opinion on the merits of the ECA in a thread about the ECA. I never attacked you in this thread, you must be having flashbacks to all of those times I pwned you and made everyone laugh at you on GameTZ, but that's neither here nor there. we're friends now and there's no bad blood. Undelete my posts and let people determine for themselves if they are made in the spirit of honest debate or not.[/QUOTE]That's funny, I've never been on GTZ, so that obviously is a case of delusional misinformation. And no, you're not my friend.

[quote name='JCDenton']I notice that my assertion that the ECA hasn't really accomplished anything still goes unassailed and uncontroverted.[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest concern. I'm all for the things that the ECA claims to represent, and therefore it almost makes sense to me to be a member for what they do, but . . . I read all through their site, and honestly, I can't figure out what they're actually doing. What have they accomplished? What are they trying to accomplish? How are they going about it? Do they have a plan?

When I asked this on the ECA forums, the responses that I got were decidedly unhelpful. The first was a pointer to another, several-year-old forum post, in which the founder of the ECA basically said "We can't tell you what we're doing, because if we did, the people who are against us would know too. Just trust us." I call bullshit on that one -- I follow a number of other effective organizations with much higher stakes, such as MoveOn and the NRDC, and they're always very forthcoming with exactly what they're doing. And honestly, I feel they're all the more successful for it. And why should I trust him, anyway? The next response that I received was a pointer to some position statements and some web petitions. Those are nice, but they're not action. They're not accomplishments, and they're not even steps toward accomplishments. How is the wishful thinking behind them being translated into the real world? Finally, the last response that I got was outright derision for even daring to ask.

This is not the way to build member support.

I'm not complaining about the Amazon codes being down because 1) I've already made my membership fee and then some back from the discounts; 2) I was aware going in that they could go away at any time; 3) I know the cause for why they're down; and 4) I know they'll be coming back soon. However, I can fully understand why some people are upset about them being gone, and I can fully understand why those people are looking at the ECA as an Amazon discount service. They honestly haven't been given enough good reasons to view it any other way.

What it comes down to is that the ECA needs to do a lot more to engage its members. For example, I haven't received a single email from them since joining. If you want me to be a part of things, I should be getting a regular newsletter (monthly, at least) telling me what the organization is doing and how I can help. Remind me of why I'm a member and keep me interested. Let me know what you're doing with my $15 or $20, don't just take it and forget about me. Involve me.

But hey, you know, derision on a forum is always an option as well.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's funny, I've never been on GTZ, so that obviously is a case of delusional misinformation. And no, you're not my friend.[/QUOTE]

So um...how's that on topic discussion? I actually thought it was nice to see a reply from Gypsyfly in here about the ECA stuff... Didn't it contain something about the PAX discount disappearing? I was kind of interested in that but since EVERYTHING was deleted in one fell swoop...:cry:

[quote name='arcane93'].....
What it comes down to is that the ECA needs to do a lot more to engage its members. For example, I haven't received a single email from them since joining. If you want me to be a part of things, I should be getting a regular newsletter (monthly, at least) telling me what the organization is doing and how I can help. Remind me of why I'm a member and keep me interested. Let me know what you're doing with my $15 or $20, don't just take it and forget about me. Involve me.

But hey, you know, derision on a forum is always an option as well.[/QUOTE]

You can sign up for the newsletter from the members area. It's daily M-F and has links to game news, articles from Gamepolitics.com and various other things.

Not as engaging as you were looking for, but it is there.

Dig around the site and you can find lots of information and actions in the Advocacy section.

Use the sitemap, it helps, but it sounds like you aren't looking around the site.

[quote name='sabanoo']So um...how's that on topic discussion? I actually thought it was nice to see a reply from Gypsyfly in here about the ECA stuff... Didn't it contain something about the PAX discount disappearing? I was kind of interested in that but since EVERYTHING was deleted in one fell swoop...:cry:[/QUOTE]

actually i asked her after her post about the PAX east discount, and she said that she would find out and reply.

conveniently someone has also asked the question on the ECA forums, so the answer could show up on either forum.

[quote name='y2jasper']actually i asked her after her post about the PAX east discount, and she said that she would find out and reply.

conveniently someone has also asked the question on the ECA forums, so the answer could show up on either forum.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the reply. Hopefully if she gets back to us here the reply won't get deleted.

Does the ECA supply funds or legal support when states have tried to pass certain laws against games? I see plenty of articles about them issuing statements, so I would assume they are involved in some way.

[quote name='arcane93']
What it comes down to is that the ECA needs to do a lot more to engage its members. For example, I haven't received a single email from them since joining. If you want me to be a part of things, I should be getting a regular newsletter (monthly, at least) telling me what the organization is doing and how I can help. Remind me of why I'm a member and keep me interested. Let me know what you're doing with my $15 or $20, don't just take it and forget about me.

But hey, you know, derision on a forum is always an option as well.[/QUOTE]

You may want to check your subscriptions then, because that is like the one thing where I absolutely CAN'T call out the ECA. There is an email newsletter like every day. It's just a few lengths with short summaries and I unsubscribed from it, but they at least do make an attempt on that front even if they just link to other people's content.

On your other concerns, I think the little Foxnews Mass Effect debacle illustrates things perfectly. The ECA got all blustery, "demanding" retractions and such but Fox basically laughed at them. A retraction was eventually issued, but it was because bloggers got everyone to downrate the reporter's book on Amazon.

Does the ECA supply funds or legal support when states have tried to pass certain laws against games? I see plenty of articles about them issuing statements, so I would assume they are involved in some way.

This is relevant to my interests as well. If they do in fact do this and could offer any proof at all, I would take back everything I've said, apologize, and never post in an ECA thread again. In fact, I will make a donation to them since those are the types of things an effective interest group would do. So, the ball is in your court now ECA!

[quote name='reddjoey']You can sign up for the newsletter from the members area. It's daily M-F and has links to game news, articles from Gamepolitics.com and various other things.

Not as engaging as you were looking for, but it is there.[/QUOTE]

If there's a newsletter sign-up option, it's not very obvious. I'm looking now and not seeing it. I definitely don't want a daily newsletter anyway. That's overkill. Also, it sounds like very little in it actually concerns the ECA directly?

Edit: Oh, it's on the "news" page -- but it says it's a newsletter of "the latest gaming news", not of ECA issues. I have other sources for "gaming news", I don't need it from them.

[quote name='reddjoey']Dig around the site and you can find lots of information and actions in the Advocacy section. Sounds like you aren't looking around the site.

Use the sitemap, it helps[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's partially that the site is pretty poorly designed (so the sitemap does help a lot). Beyond that, though, I did look at the Advocacy section, but I found it to be really vague. Again, lots of position statements, very little action. What are they doing? What have they accomplished? What do they plan to do? I just don't feel that those things are there.

Dont know if a mod can do this Or will do this BUT it would be nice....

not trying to be a smart ass or nothing but if a mod feels that they have to remove someones post if they could at least Pm that person telling them their post has been removed so they know they did something wrong.and tell them try to stick on topic or please dont post in topic XXXX .. hell half the time i dont even remember what i posted on this site : )

[quote name='arcane93']

Edit: Oh, it's on the "news" page -- but it says it's a newsletter of "the latest gaming news", not of ECA issues.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name=' Front page of theeca.com']

ECA PUBLICATIONS

The association publishes several well-known publications in the interactive entertainment space that serve the needs of our members as well as the broader community. GamePolitics is our game news site focused on anti-game/gamer legislation and political issues that affect gamers. GameJobs is the industry’s leading career portal and job board. GameCulture is our mass market publication which publicizes the positive impact games and gamers have had on society. And ECA Today is our nightly newsletter which consolidates the day’s news from partner media outlets and is mailed to all ECA members.
[/quote]

Just thought I'd point that out. Sorry, but there really wasn't a way to show that without looking like a total dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back