ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mhnajjar']ECA & Amazon suck. They keep blaming each other for something that does NOT take a genius to fix.[/QUOTE]

did you just seriously say Amazon sucks because they won't give you 10% off? what obligation are they under to provide you with this 10%?

Well, I just wish they'd assign a per-ECA-user unique code and be done with it. Otherwise A-holes that have to seek out every exploit everywhere have to ruin things for everyone else, which is what happened with this "stacking" issue.

I'm not complaining, I managed to snag the free membership so I can wait for them to get their shit straight. But this freakin sucks for everyone else who paid for it. Yes, they have "other coupons", but 95% of the people who signed up did it for the Amazon coupon. It's like paying for the Gamestop membership, then not being able to use their discount, even though it comes with a "magazine sub".

Yeah, I'm a paying ECA member and Amazon Prime subscriber, and I've had the GoW: Collection sitting in my cart for the past few days. I really want to save that $3.69.

Anyone know if fighting sticks are included in "some accessories"? I'm looking to get one from Amazon but I will wait a few days to see if the codes return if sticks are covered.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Yes, they are killbomb.
Also hope you are planning on getting a tournament edition stick or the Hori Real Arcade Pros.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking at the HRAP Pro 3 SA. It'll be $92.99 after ECA and my $15 credit. Gonna get it anyway if the codes aren't up by Thursday so I'll have it for Tekken 6. :D

EDIT: Just noticed that stick has just been released. Maybe I better grab it now before they're gone...

I got a response from amazon regarding my request to have the ECA 10% applied to my buy 2 get 1 free order since the codes were down. Their response seemed a bit confused, but the bottom line is they refunded 10%! It wasn't exactly like how the ECA works because it always applied before other discounts, where this 10% was off the final price, but I'll take it. Awesome!

I sent an email to amazon about taking 10% off since the codes were down and here is the response i received.

Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Your order didn't meet all of the qualifications for receiving this promotional offer. Specifically, you should have contacted ECA regarding the invalid promo code before placing the order. However, I've made an exception and refunded your order in the amount of $21.60.

The restrictions for this promotion are on our website here:

http://www.amazon.com/promos/

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

They correctly took off the 10% before promotions were applied so i basically got killzone 2, need for speed shift, and 2 copies of operation flashpoint dragon rising for the ps3 for 77.85

Yea, I sent them an email yesterday about 3 orders. So far they have responded to one email and refunded me 10% off of the final price after all other discounts. Better than nothing at least!

Hello,

I'm sorry this promotion wasn't applied to your order.

To correct this error, I've requested a refund of $8.00(10% off) to reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete.

I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Item(s) Subtotal: $163.47
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$30.00
Promotion Applied: -$53.99
-----
Total Before Tax: $79.48
Sales tax: $0.00
Gift Certificate/Card Amount: $79.48
-----
Total for this Shipment: $0.00
Total paid by Gift Certificate/Card: $79.48

Refund date: October 19, 2009
Refund Amount: $8.00

I looks like as I was typing this, they responded to another one...

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced when trying to use your promotional certificate.

Because this certificate was provided by ECA as part of a promotion they sponsored, you will need to contact them for more information. You can visit the ECA member website to contact their customer service directly.

I hope you are able to reach a satisfactory resolution so that you may take advantage of your promotional certificate.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at Amazon.com.
Guess I will email them again and hope they approve the 2nd one this time.

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced when trying to use your promotional certificate.

Because this certificate was provided by ECA as part of a promotion they sponsored, you will need to contact them for more information. You can visit the ECA member website to contact their customer service directly.

I hope you are able to reach a satisfactory resolution so that you may take advantage of your promotional certificate.

This is the one I reeived today:(

[quote name='sabanoo']
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Anyways, I enjoyed ECA stacked with gold box, preorder guarantee, and the game credits. Instead of paying close to 10% for tax, I can get 10% off with ECA. I do have to wait a week for free shipping, but i dont mind.

"Hello, I'm asthmatic [insert "Who's on First?" joke here]. I enjoy candlelight dinners, walks on the beach, and ECA discounts stacked with gold box, preorder guarantee, and the game credits..."

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Sure doesn't seem like Amazon is in much of the hurry to give out codes again. you'd assume they're working on it but it makes you wonder if they're thinking about scratching this promotion away together. we'll see if its worth it for them, but then again that 10% especially together with the gold box discount was making me spend funds I didn't always necessary have to spare.

[quote name='jumbo11']Is the free code still working at this time?[/QUOTE]What free code is this?? I'm new to this thread so I was wondering if someone could elaborate![quote name='llNorcalSharkll']Sure doesn't seem like Amazon is in much of the hurry to give out codes again. you'd assume they're working on it but it makes you wonder if they're thinking about scratching this promotion away together. we'll see if its worth it for them, but then again that 10% especially together with the gold box discount was making me spend funds I didn't always necessary have to spare.[/QUOTE]What also sucks is that I'm actually likely to avoid shopping at Amazon right now, because I'm paranoid about buying something and then having the codes come back right after.:bomb:

[quote name='BustaUppa']What free code is this?? I'm new to this thread so I was wondering if someone could elaborate![/QUOTE]

No need to elaborate. All the info is in the OP... in bright yellow...

[quote name='BustaUppa']What free code is this?? I'm new to this thread so I was wondering if someone could elaborate!What also sucks is that I'm actually likely to avoid shopping at Amazon right now, because I'm paranoid about buying something and then having the codes come back right after.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Read the first post..

[quote name='THHG']No need to elaborate. All the info is in the OP... in bright yellow...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vortextk']Read the first post..[/QUOTE]d'oh, my mistake... I thought he was referring to a way to still get an Amazon discount. I already got the free membership. :D

*sigh* Checked the ECA boards, no new updates since last week. C'mon Amazon, put this back in effect. They are probably reworking everything since that ECA thread mentioned the stacking being part of the reason it was suspended.

For now, I guess enjoy the bickering in this thread and hopefully a perma-ban on someone. Get the popcorn ready.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']For now, I guess enjoy the bickering in this thread and hopefully a perma-ban on someone. Get the popcorn ready.[/QUOTE]

perma-bans FTW! yes!

I really want this to come back so I can order SvR10.. 2 questions for you guys:
1. If I order SvR10 after the 20th (when it's released) will I still get the $10 they give you for the next purchase?
2. For those of you who emailed Amazon about ECA, was this after you ordered and paid?

[quote name='coma8']I really want this to come back so I can order SvR10.. 2 questions for you guys:
1. If I order SvR10 after the 20th (when it's released) will I still get the $10 they give you for the next purchase?
2. For those of you who emailed Amazon about ECA, was this after you ordered and paid?[/QUOTE]

1. No

2. yes it was after i ordered and paid

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']*sigh* Checked the ECA boards, no new updates since last week. C'mon Amazon, put this back in effect. They are probably reworking everything since that ECA thread mentioned the stacking being part of the reason it was suspended.

For now, I guess enjoy the bickering in this thread and hopefully a perma-ban on someone. Get the popcorn ready.[/QUOTE]

i wonder if they are somehow also trying to figure out a way to link your eca account to your amazon account so people would not be able to sell the codes as well....dont know how or even if that could /would work

no, they were disabled because there was a bug that allowed you to double and triple stack the codes. they are fixing / changing the system to prevent this...

[quote name='DGenerateKane']I haven't been paying attention, have the codes been down since the last batch expired last month?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure someone will answer this question for you very nicely soon.

[quote name='jacknicklson']They have been down since the 66 codes were pulled about two weeks ago[/QUOTE]

It's only been 2 weeks? If it doesn't seem like months already...

Or is it just me?

[quote name='chrishicks']It's only been 2 weeks? If it doesn't seem like months already...

Or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

it's only been about 2 weeks since the codes went down. although it feels like they've been down forever... with no real evidence that they're even working on getting them back up...

[quote name='menikmati']Damn, low on Microsoft Points. Codes would be win right now.

Thanks for the updates, jacknicklson.[/QUOTE]

It's not instant delivery (free shipping at least) but the best deal I can find is the 4000 pt code at DeepDiscount.com with the Bing.com 4% discount makes for a decent deal.

Just got word ECA is getting a conference call scheduled with Amazon to find out the status of everything, so hopefully we'll get some real news soon.

Nice, thanks Justin as always

EDIT: Added text to the op from the official forum for our lazyassgamers

The forum page (1st post now) has been updated with this:

UPDATE 10/20)For those concerned, Amazon wasn't at all concerned with all of our growth (more members = more customers), their issue was the stacking. Our guess is that they're having a hard time working out a solid one-time use code system that wouldn't have exploit issues.

Our IR Director, is trying to arrange a conference call so that we can better understand Amazon’s position and status. More as we know it…

This isn't related to ECA, but I thought it might be the best place to ask -- so I apologize if this is an issue to anyone.

Has anyone had experience canceling orders with coupons or credits? I want to cancel an order with a non-ECA coupon and I was curious if that credit/coupon would automatically be added back to my account.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my off-topic question.

it depends on when the coupon expires. i think with most experiences, if it's cancelled within a month after the coupon was supposed to expire, it will still stay in your cart. for example i had a 50% off coupon on an order and the coupon was supposed to expire end of august, but i was able to cancel my order in mid sept and reuse it again on my next order. someone tried that the beginning of this month and their coupon was gone.

Last night I canceled part of an order I'd made with an ECA code. I did so with the intent of using that code again for another order. However, due to the fact that part of that order had already shipped (Uncharted 2), and also that 10% had been applied to that part of the order, I no longer have a code to use.

It was more of an experiment on my part to see whether or not you could regenerate the code, but now I wish I hadn't canceled the item. Who knows when we'll ever get access to the ECA promotion again?

I just got a refund from Amazon for $6.69 on my Demon's Souls order after emailing them about the ECA thing. Got Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition for $55.31 after ECA,$5 Uncharted 2 promotion, and the special price it was at at the time ($67)

Here was the message I got:

Hello from Amazon.com.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused, I do understand that codes have not yet been released to the members of Entertainment Consumers Association.

However, in order to get the 10% off on video game purchases you need to use the codes provided. Because we value your business I've made a one time exception and issued a refund of $6.69 to your Visa card. You'll see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund here:

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Boo. I got this:

[quote name='coma8']Boo. I got this:

[/QUOTE]

Just send them another email. I didn't even acknowledge the previous rejection email, I just sent them the same exact email again, and someone else approved the 10% off.

1st email I sent:
Hi, I am a member of the ECA and the 10% off game purchases code is currently unavailable. Is there any way I could get the 10% off applied to this order?
1st Response:

2nd Email I sent:
Hi, I am a member of the ECA and the 10% off game purchases code is currently unavailable. Is there any way I could get the 10% off applied to this order?
2nd Response:
Hello,

I'm sorry this promotion wasn't applied to your order.

To correct this error, I've requested a refund of $6.40 to reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete.

I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back