Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition - $29.99, $10 off Skyrim + guide

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
oblivion-anniversary2.jpg
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition
[IMG-L=5838]22778[/IMG-L] [IMG-L=5838]22779[/IMG-L]

image credit

Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC

Amazon
:360: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
:ps3: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
man, what a bummer about the UPC thing. Kinda regretting ordering it for just over $29 shipped though. I was kinda banking on the $10 rebate for Skyrim.

I guess I'll just have to eat the price. This will be the first time I own the game, and play the game on :pS3:, and seeing as how even the standard edition, used, is going for ~$15, there must be a damn good demand for it.

I kinda hope they really are limited. The more limited, the better.

I also hope they fix the dang :pS3: version.

I am tempted to resell it though, and try to get my money back from it.

Or get the original GOTY version for half the price of the 5th anniversary edition.

but maybe I'll keep the 5th anniversary... I do like Bethesda... even though they are very, VERY good at milking their games, lol. worse than MGS games.

"Original, DLC, then GOTY with DLC included, then 5th anniversary edition which is basically GOTY edition with a pretty new case..." Who wants to bet there'll be an Oblivion/Skyrim bundle in the future? :p

Well I ordered this a week ago or so from Best Buy and got my your item is back ordered e-mail today.... guess I will now have to see if i get lucky to find one in a damn store

Anyone else get the backordered email from Bestbuy.com? and since this is limited I need to start looking today to find one on a shelf somewhere. I ordered the first day I was able to...I'm not real happy.

I got the backordered email from Best Buy also. I have NEVER had a backordered item fulfilled by BestBuy.com. Ridiculous that I placed the order the day the item went on their site and they can't fulfill their orders.

So, for people that have the 5th anniv edition, is the "Making of" video the same as the one on Youtube? Because if that's the case, the only thing 5th Anniv edition really has over standard GOTY is the shiny case. The map already comes with standard GOTY edition.

I admit, I'm half-tempted to trade up from GOTY to 5th anniv for $7, but at the same time, it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Bethesda is releasing this game for a third time and still isn't including ALL DLC, or even patching bugs that have been well known for the past few years, like the PS3 Vampirism bug. In fact, Oblivion is the only game I know of with a GOTY edition that doesn't include all DLC. So I could just save the $7 and put it toward the minor DLC (minus Horse Armor and the Orrery)

[quote name='JanusZeal2']So, for people that have the 5th anniv edition, is the "Making of" video the same as the one on Youtube? Because if that's the case, the only thing 5th Anniv edition really has over standard GOTY is the shiny case. The map already comes with standard GOTY edition.

I admit, I'm half-tempted to trade up from GOTY to 5th anniv for $7, but at the same time, it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Bethesda is releasing this game for a third time and still isn't including ALL DLC, or even patching bugs that have been well known for the past few years, like the PS3 Vampirism bug. In fact, Oblivion is the only game I know of with a GOTY edition that doesn't include all DLC. So I could just save the $7 and put it toward the minor DLC (minus Horse Armor and the Orrery)[/QUOTE]

The more I think about it... the cooler that vampirism bug actually is.... It makes the game better in my opinion... your choice actually MATTERS! You cant just go willy nilly be a vampire for a day or two and get rid of it, its a curse your stuck with if you decide you want to be a vampire. thats so cool. Im not just being a fanboy either.. I just think it actually raises the stakes in the game.

Also, the shiney case is worth it to me, I love collectors editions, not to mention steelbooks, So I dont mind as much paying for it. Its one of my favorite games of all time, Im looking to just own it on both 360(so I can get the rest of my achievements) and PS3(because tis the console i play the most and take with me on trips)

[quote name='TPerryoo7']The more I think about it... the cooler that vampirism bug actually is.... It makes the game better in my opinion... your choice actually MATTERS! You cant just go willy nilly be a vampire for a day or two and get rid of it, its a curse your stuck with if you decide you want to be a vampire. thats so cool. Im not just being a fanboy either.. I just think it actually raises the stakes in the game.[/QUOTE]

That really makes no sense whatsoever.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']The more I think about it... the cooler that vampirism bug actually is.... It makes the game better in my opinion... your choice actually MATTERS! You cant just go willy nilly be a vampire for a day or two and get rid of it, its a curse your stuck with if you decide you want to be a vampire. thats so cool. Im not just being a fanboy either.. I just think it actually raises the stakes in the game.[/QUOTE]
no no no youre looking at it all wrong.

if anything, the vampirism bug will make you more trendy. i mean, look at the hype with vampires today.

theres that twilight shit and true blood. people are into that sort of thing nowadays. so its not a bad bug if youre into vampires too. youll be trendy, and who knows. maybe youll attract more girls.

does this make sense ssjmichael?

[quote name='giantqtipz']no no no youre looking at it all wrong.

if anything, the vampirism bug will make you more trendy. i mean, look at the hype with vampires today.

theres that twilight shit and true blood. people are into that sort of thing nowadays. so its not a bad bug if youre into vampires too. youll be trendy, and who knows. maybe youll attract more girls.

does this make sense ssjmichael?[/QUOTE]

This makes sense.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That really makes no sense whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense, I think the phrase you're looking for is "I don't agree"

[quote name='ssjmichael']That really makes no sense whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Its the way I look at it lol. It really is something that wont be fixed, so Im just trying to get along with it. It Isnt so bad and Im looking forward to it more now, since Ive never had to deal with this "bug" anywhere else. Its a video game, it raises the stakes unintentionally.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Its the way I look at it lol. It really is something that wont be fixed, so Im just trying to get along with it. It Isnt so bad and Im looking forward to it more now, since Ive never had to deal with this "bug" anywhere else. Its a video game, it raises the stakes unintentionally.[/QUOTE]

It just sounds like it's hard to avoid becoming a vampire in the game. Like will the person know for sure how to avoid becoming one? It sounds like so many people accidentally become a vampire somehow and they're basically screwed. That's why I don't get the whole "choice" thing. If it was so easy to avoid, then I have to wonder why people would make such a big deal out of it.

[quote name='k321ut']What are the differences between the PC version and the console versions?

Does the PC version have the same bugs as the PS3 version?

Does the PC version include the X360 DLC?

I have a PS3, but would rather get it for PC if it doesn't have as many bugs.[/QUOTE]

PC is the best version of all 3. There are tons of mods that do all sorts of neat things

[quote name='ssjmichael']It just sounds like it's hard to avoid becoming a vampire in the game. Like will the person know for sure how to avoid becoming one? It sounds like so many people accidentally become a vampire somehow and they're basically screwed. That's why I don't get the whole "choice" thing. If it was so easy to avoid, then I have to wonder why people would make such a big deal out of it.[/QUOTE]

I actually stopped playing the game when I became a vampire. Had enjoyed it right up until then, but once I got it, and found out what I needed to do to get out of it, I quit.

It just sounds like it's hard to avoid becoming a vampire in the game.
I don't really think so, when you get attacked by a vampire text will pop up saying "you've contracted (whatever they call it)", and from there all you have to do is take a cure disease potion/spell or go to an altar within 72 in-game hours.
If it was so easy to avoid, then I have to wonder why people would make such a big deal out of it.
I think everyone's making a big deal of it because it is technically a glitch, and even though I personally prefer it this way it is rather silly not to have it fixed through a simple patch.

So, the TIV for this is $15 base at BB right now. They technically accept disc only, so if you trade it in (I'm guessing you bring the steelbook to prove that the disc is from the 5th Anni version) you can trade it for $15 + $6 = $21 this week with the NCAA promo, or for $22.50 next week with the 50% promo.

If anyone wanted to keep everything but the disc. Which is a fucking great idea if you ask me, especially since with the B2G1 a copy should only cost you $20.

Just went to Gamestop and exchanged my PS3 version for the 360 version. Achievements and not having the Vampirism bug is worth it. Other than it being on 2 disk, it is a better buy.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It just sounds like it's hard to avoid becoming a vampire in the game. Like will the person know for sure how to avoid becoming one? It sounds like so many people accidentally become a vampire somehow and they're basically screwed. That's why I don't get the whole "choice" thing. If it was so easy to avoid, then I have to wonder why people would make such a big deal out of it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well yea like i said it raises the stakes. you DO have a choice to become a vampire, you can willingly get bit by one of the vampires Vincent Valtieri knows or whatever... Or you can choose not to pursue it at all and take your risks being your normal race.

as far as getting into a battle with a vampire, thats serious game too, if you get bit you get bit, If you cant defend yourself properly in this world then its your fault. I like that there isnt a cure after 72 hrs, and it can be looked at as a curse.

Its making a wish based only on personal gain, Like many mythical tales and comic book stories have presented us with. (King midas, Spawn, and others) you see how cool being a vampire is, you get to see in the dark, have super agility, and you only see the benefits and dont realize you could be stuck with it forever. I guess its hard to explain if your not in the mindset, and I know Im looking too far into it, but thats who I am. I love games like oblivion so this is the way I think haha.

[quote name='iamsmart']I don't really think so, when you get attacked by a vampire text will pop up saying "you've contracted (whatever they call it)", and from there all you have to do is take a cure disease potion/spell or go to an altar within 72 in-game hours.
I think everyone's making a big deal of it because it is technically a glitch, and even though I personally prefer it this way it is rather silly not to have it fixed through a simple patch.[/QUOTE]

There's a little more to it than that, though. From the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (Vampirism topic):

"There is an obvious bug in the script, monitoring the player's vampire status. The counter for the incubation time is not reset after you cure yourself of Porphyric Hemophilia before becoming a vampire. The result is, next time you catch the disease you will have only 72 hours minus previous incubation time to cure yourself before becoming a vampire."

I think that part might be for both console versions. But combine that with the glitch that prevents you from curing vampirism on PS3 GOTY, and it sounds like there is the possibility that over a long enough time span, you could catch PH with no time left to cure it before it becomes full vampirism, and no way to cure said vampirism.

I think I'm just going to swap my PS3 version for a 360 version, for the other DLC, for the lack of the vampire bug, and because that way my copies of Oblivion and Skyrim will be on the same console. I know there is no technical reason for the PS3 version of Skyrim to be worse than the 360 version. But I also know Bethesda as a developer, and their past releases in addition to their past bribes from deals with Microsoft give me no reason to think they won't favor the 360 version in some way or another.

I thought you could cure Porphyric Hemophilia with one of the healing spells? I could have sworn that that's what I did when I became afflicted. I did it immediately after catching the disease.

[quote name='Yigytugd']Just went to Gamestop and exchanged my PS3 version for the 360 version. Achievements and not having the Vampirism bug is worth it. Other than it being on 2 disk, it is a better buy.[/QUOTE]

You Fail, Xbox version also has the vampire bug since it is also the game of the year edition, lol, only the vanilla versions of both copies doesnt have it, u can tell this is a noob or jus sum kid who never gave a look at or read up on oblivion when it first came out, prolly was all over COD 4 at the time, lol

[quote name='robrod25']You Fail, Xbox version also has the vampire bug since it is also the game of the year edition, lol, only the vanilla versions of both copies doesnt have it, u can tell this is a noob or jus sum kid who never gave a look at or read up on oblivion when it first came out, prolly was all over COD 4 at the time, lol[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he was in school learning proper grammar and spelling. Who cares what video game genre he was interested in at the time.

I don't own a single steelbook yet, and I have always been interested in this game... but I think I'll pass. I'm really poor when it comes to RPGs, I sink a good 50+ hours into them then... so I doubt I'd play very far into this even if I got it.

[quote name='robrod25']You Fail, Xbox version also has the vampire bug since it is also the game of the year edition, lol, only the vanilla versions of both copies doesnt have it, u can tell this is a noob or jus sum kid who never gave a look at or read up on oblivion when it first came out, prolly was all over COD 4 at the time, lol[/QUOTE]

Actually you FAIL. Only the PS3 GOTY version has this bug still. Guess you were too much of a noob too busy playing COD 4 to look that up huh? How ironic and downright embarrassing for you to try and insult him about not knowing about the game.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Actually you FAIL. Only the PS3 GOTY version has this bug still. Guess you were too much of a noob too busy playing COD 4 to look that up huh? How ironic and downright embarrassing for you to try and insult him about not knowing about the game.[/QUOTE]

Orson%20clapping.gif

[quote name='Buuhan1']I don't own a single steelbook yet, and I have always been interested in this game... but I think I'll pass. I'm really poor when it comes to RPGs, I sink a good 50+ hours into them then... so I doubt I'd play very far into this even if I got it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh man you should try this, give it a shot I say. I was saying literally the same thing before I played this, its really friendly to non-rpg players.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Actually you FAIL. Only the PS3 GOTY version has this bug still. Guess you were too much of a noob too busy playing COD 4 to look that up huh? How ironic and downright embarrassing for you to try and insult him about not knowing about the game.[/QUOTE]

word.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I don't own a single steelbook yet, and I have always been interested in this game... but I think I'll pass. I'm really poor when it comes to RPGs, I sink a good 50+ hours into them then... so I doubt I'd play very far into this even if I got it.[/QUOTE]

You should definatly try it out. I was saying the same thing but this game won me over. The only worry id have now is that its a bit outdated and if you've played fallout and are expecting that level of gameplay.

Its really fun if you like simple fantasy oriented games, the scenery is still beautiful to this day.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']You should definatly try it out. I was saying the same thing but this game won me over. The only worry id have now is that its a bit outdated and if you've played fallout and are expecting that level of gameplay.

Its really fun if you like simple fantasy oriented games, the scenery is still beautiful to this day.[/QUOTE]
Actually I am the exact opposite. I think Oblivion is better than Fallout.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually I am the exact opposite. I think Oblivion is better than Fallout.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I could never really get into Fallout 3. I completed the main story and that was about it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually I am the exact opposite. I think Oblivion is better than Fallout.[/QUOTE]

No actually i do think Oblivion is better than fallout too! Im just saying for people who have only played fallout and are used to the mechanics in that game, and there are various improvements. Thats all Im saying. Otherwise Oblivion owns fallout haha

[quote name='BargainGamer']Fallout 3 is better, sorry it just is.[/QUOTE]

Okay well go in the fallout 3 5th anniversary edition thread then. bye

Wow what a disaster this is. I just finally got around to opening the package from Amazon that I got on Tuesday. I wouldn't even have bought this except I had put in a pre-order back when it was first announced and forgot about it. I really wish they would send an e-mail a day or two before they ship pre-orders as a reminder. But I figured whatever, I probably want this anyway. At least I thought that until I opened the package...

GREATEST HITS ON A STEELBOOK "5TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION"? ARE YOU SERIOUS? I haven't opened it, but went read through the last few pages to also hear about the coupon crap. This is going right back to Amazon.

I was first surprised people at all care about greatest hits labels or whatever, but considering 90% of you own the GOTY edition, really, it actually makes sense since the only thing thats different is the cover :p

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I was first surprised people at all care about greatest hits labels or whatever, but considering 90% of you own the GOTY edition, really, it actually makes sense since the only thing thats different is the cover :p[/QUOTE]

This edition is probably bought by people who want it for looks (like most steelbooks) as there is really nothing different over the GOTY besides aesthetics.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Mine just arrived today from the amazon b2g1. Never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Anyone suggest I play Morrowind first?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how many hours you want to sink into it. Morrowind was a good game, but if you plan on playing Skyrim near launch playing both would be cutting it close.

got mine from amazon today will be playing while waiting days for ps3 content to download

pissed about the $10 off coupon.
WTF

guys I received my copy a couple of days ago this is for the PS3. What things should I do to avoid getting the vampire glitch?

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Depends on how many hours you want to sink into it. Morrowind was a good game, but if you plan on playing Skyrim near launch playing both would be cutting it close.[/QUOTE]

Time shouldn't be a problem and I probably won't buy Skyrim at release unless there's some kind of sale. I'm more concerned with continuity and story purposes. When I watched the Skyrim trailer, it made a few references to things I had no clue about.

Yeah.. I'm so keeping this. It's beautiful. I can't wait to open it :p

My only regret is not getting it with a B2G1F deal...

My question is a simple one but consists of 2 parts:

1> Was this truly a limited print run making this a true limited edition?

2> If the answer to 1 is yes, what are the chances of a sealed copy's value increasing?

Okay another big question guys...

whats the Making of's runtime? is it the old rehashed one we've gotten in the collectors edition on 360? or is it fresh and new?

Whats up guys let us knooooow!

bread's done
Back