Election Day 2012: I Voted for Kodos

[quote name='bordjon']Took about 20 mins or so this morning at 7:30 here in the burbs at a Catholic church. There was a long line for some but the folks with last name A-D (which is me) didn't really have a line. Me and my wife and 2 year old went - was surprised to see as many kids as I did.[/QUOTE]

Did they have Kids Voting, per usual?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never had hours long lines, but had 30-45 minutes sometimes in the past--smaller city in WV, suburbs in DC area.

Seems it's easier in big cities as with the population density there are a lot more polling sites for different neighborhoods etc. so you get fewer people at each one.

Also just a matter of beating the rush, lines are long in morning and evening before and after work. Not so much during the day as you don't have as many retired or other non-working folk living in the city (at least in the pricier areas where it's mostly small condos etc.), but lots rushing to get it in before or after work.[/QUOTE]
In a town of approximately 50,000, people we have two places to vote. I don't know if that's a low number of locations or not, but it makes it a pain come election day. This year I voted early, and there are various places all over the county to vote early at, they change each week up until election week. Only took me maybe 30 minutes if that, thankfully.

[quote name='Clak']In a town of approximately 50,000, people we have two places to vote. I don't know if that's a low number of locations or not, but it makes it a pain come election day. This year I voted early, and there are various places all over the county to vote early at, they change each week up until election week. Only took me maybe 30 minutes if that, thankfully.[/QUOTE]

That seems really low, unless those two places have dozens and dozens of booths, lots of parking, and many people working to check registrations, help people with their ballots, etc.

I'm trying to remember, but there were probably a dozen booths at the most, at the place I went to that year. We get assigned to certain polling places we have to go to, can't go anywhere else on election day.

edit I take that back, there are actually a number of places to vote. Yet I still stood in line for hours, I don't understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dafoomie']Just got a robocall from John Kerry telling me that Democratic turnout is low today and Elizabeth Warren needs me.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that it's low. So much money has been put into that race from the Democrats to try and get it back.

So I wonder how this will play out, an orderly election, with a clear winner, or will we have to wait until after the court battles? With all of the accusations of voter fraud, I get the feeling this one will take a bit.

[quote name='dafoomie']Just got a robocall from John Kerry telling me that Democratic turnout is low today and Elizabeth Warren needs me.[/QUOTE]
Did you expect a robocall saying "Everything's great here, stay home and watch some TV"?

[quote name='Clak']So I wonder how this will play out, an orderly election, with a clear winner, or will we have to wait until after the court battles? With all of the accusations of voter fraud, I get the feeling this one will take a bit.[/QUOTE]

Clear winner. Romney doesn't have a lot of paths to victory here. He needs to win several states Obama won last time to even stay in the race, and then needs an upset on top of that.

this is what will happen

it will be a close race but Romney or obama will win and come out and do a speech but then mccain will come from the crowd to cash in his (PRESIDENT IN THE BANK) suitcase and wack them in the back of the head and becoming the new president :)

now that would be AWESOME

[quote name='Clak']So I wonder how this will play out, an orderly election, with a clear winner, or will we have to wait until after the court battles? With all of the accusations of voter fraud, I get the feeling this one will take a bit.[/QUOTE]

There will be minor quibbles for sure, but nothing like 2000. Why do people think that's going to happen again anytime soon?

[quote name='slidecage']this is what will happen

it will be a close race but Romney or obama will win and come out and do a speech but then mccain will come from the crowd to cash in his (PRESIDENT IN THE BANK) suitcase and wack them in the back of the head and becoming the new president :)

now that would be AWESOME[/QUOTE]

Lmfao first slidecage post where I laughed NOT because of spelling :lol:

[quote name='cancerman1120']And so it begins...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/watch-glitch-voting-machine-pennsylvania-171806481--election.html[/QUOTE]

In North Carolina, Kansas, and Ohio, some electronic voting machines recorded votes for Obama even when voters had selected Romney. Joan Stevens, a voter in Marion, Ohio, told The Marion Star that it took her three tries before her vote for Romney was recorded properly.

i had this problem today but it was not for the president it was for a local office .....

worker came over and helped me said it had to be a glitch or something (only happened on the local office page and only one that one slot

[quote name='KingBroly']There will be minor quibbles for sure, but nothing like 2000. Why do people think that's going to happen again anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

It could be close to as bad if it comes down to Ohio and it's very close there.

With the BS there they have with provisional ballots not being able to be counted for 10 days after the election, that could hold things up if the Ohio electoral votes end up being the deciding margin there and whoever is in the lead there isn't up enough to make the provisional ballots a moot point.

Plus like I said, all of the vote shenanigans that seem to be going on. I can see some court cases happening if things go a certain way.

That's stuff goes on every time. Always going to be problems when millions of people are voting.

I don't think it ends up close enough to get tied up on technicalities though. It will probably be later in the night when we find out the winner than in 2008, but I figure we'll wake up to a winner.

[quote name='cancerman1120']And so it begins...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/watch-glitch-voting-machine-pennsylvania-171806481--election.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QdpGd74DrBM[/QUOTE]

Simple malfunctions. I can see this working for less obvious local elections, but who doesn't notice that the machine picked Romney when they choose Obama? It's not like you pick it and it disappears, you are supposedly asked to verify your vote twice (we don't have electronic voting machines here in Western NY), so at that point if I were voting for Obama, I would clearly say what the hell. Doesn't seem like you could get away with stealing votes on the Presidential scale that way....

[quote name='Knoell']Simple malfunctions. I can see this working for less obvious local elections, but who doesn't notice that the machine picked Romney when they choose Obama? It's not like you pick it and it disappears, you are supposedly asked to verify your vote twice (we don't have electronic voting machines here in Western NY), so at that point if I were voting for Obama, I would clearly say what the hell. Doesn't seem like you could get away with stealing votes on the Presidential scale that way....[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree. I just know that the amount of hysteria something like this will cause among those looking for a reason.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Damnit, dohdough said to make a witty title.[/QUOTE]
I'll take what we can get...and the title is actually Clak's.:lol:

[quote name='KingBroly']I doubt that it's low. So much money has been put into that race from the Democrats to try and get it back.[/QUOTE]
Maybe they spent as much as the Republicans to hold it.;)

edit: Oh and wait time for me was 15 minutes in line. The district next to me(4 blocks away) had over an hour wait.

A reference from one of the greatest Simpsons episodes isn't good enough for you?

Fuuuuuckkkk yoooouuuuu.;)

[quote name='dohdough']I'll take what we can get...and the title is actually Clak's.:lol:

Maybe they spent as much as the Republicans to hold it.;)

edit: Oh and wait time for me was 15 minutes in line. The district next to me(4 blocks away) had over an hour wait.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more the Democrats see it as Ted Kennedy's seat, and view it as some sort of legacy, doing whatever it takes to get it back.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think it's more the Democrats see it as Ted Kennedy's seat, and view it as some sort of legacy, doing whatever it takes to get it back.[/QUOTE]
Then you'd think wrong. That was just a campaign slogan for the last Democratic non-campaign.

They just said on the news that a local polling station had a 3 hour wait, which sounds about right from my last experience.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']My polling station is great. Absolutely no line like in 2008, and the absolutely sweetest old ladies running it.[/QUOTE]

sounds just like mine :)

[quote name='slidecage']why do we need this crap on every freaking over the air network... even PBS has it on all of their channels[/QUOTE]

Shhh, go back to bed.

It may truly be over for the Southern Strategy if Obama wins Florida. New Democratic voter registration was down from 230k to 11k from july '11 to july '12 because of voter registration drive changes. If they get out-turned out under those conditions, god damn.

[quote name='Clak']They just said on the news that a local polling station had a 3 hour wait, which sounds about right from my last experience.[/QUOTE]

That's insane. I wonder how many people leave or just don't go because they can't or don't want to wait that long. Your state needs to fix that!

I would just like to remind you all that my country is very cold this time of year and your currency no longer gets you as far up here as it used to and also my couch isn't very comfortable to sleep on.

EDIT: Also, what the fuck is up with Oklahoma? It's all like "Hey Texas, do you want a border with Kansas? LOL TOO BAD HEY NEW MEXICO."

Man, fuck y'all's maps.

Well it's been a long time since I voted. My wife and a recent trip to an Obama Rally helped me to get back to voting. Just before I moved, I remembered submitting all my change of addresses and stuff including VRC. Forgot about it and moved on. Thought I was registered properly when I got something in the mail but didn't look into it much. Anyways I go into the place where I thought I was set up...nope not on the list......so they checked the area where I use to live and found me and said go to the school nearest to your old home address so I went to that one...freaking lines out the door...so I went to go look for someone who would be able to tell me if I was in the right spot..this idiot lady redirects me to her boss and instead of being cool and helping me find out if I am in the right spot, he blows up on me saying "Get in line and vote or get out of here!!!" I am like WTF?!?!? As I am trying to ask if there was someone who could tell me if I am in the right place, he goes off and threatens to call the cops if I don't leave....... man these people in charge of these voting places are real assholes.

So I ask this one helper and he pulls out his HP palm pilot [or whatever] and finds the school I need to go to like in 2 mins.

Go to the right school, within 5 mins they were able to reactivate me so I could vote, had me corrected for my new address and five mins later I voted on paper and was out the door. Seems paper is faster than computer.

I live in the stupid state the way the news is reporting right now anyways.
Even the county I live in is voting for Rommey. I told my wife that we just wasted our time today.

and oh yeah

this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpGd74DrBM&feature=player_embedded

I cannot believe that Desjarlais is doing so well. People in this state will vote for anything. Next time somebody should try getting their dog on the ballot.

[quote name='chiwii']That's insane. I wonder how many people leave or just don't go because they can't or don't want to wait that long. Your state needs to fix that![/QUOTE]
At this point it's pretty much either vote early, or don't even bother. I seriously don't know wtf they're thinking.

Wow they are calling my home sate of WI for Obama.

After the recall loss I thought he might be in trouble there. Also, Ryan losses his home state.

Regardless of the outcomes tonight I'm just glad the endless marathon of smear campaigns are going to be over for the time being. As an absentee voter, I just want them all to shut up by Halloween.

Obama is looking good in Ohio and Colorado.

Florida is still neck and neck. VA close as well with lots still to come in from the DC suburbs.

CNN also projected Warren in MA. Also just called it for Donnelly in IN.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Thank God for Republicans that open their mouth about rape.[/QUOTE]

If things hold the Republican party is going to have to take the Tea Party to the shed I think.

New Hampshire goes to Obama.

They called WI to Obama but all the results have him behind. The exit polling in Milwaukee and Madison must be really big for Obama.

Florida is looking good for Obama too. Up a tiny bit with 84% in, but most of the remaining is the counties around Miami.

[quote name='cancerman1120']If things hold the Republican party is going to have to take the Tea Party to the shed I think.[/QUOTE]
Nah, they're gonna double down at least one more time. They're going to levy the same complaint about Romney that they had against McCain - that he was a moderate. Meanwhile, the party continues to lose its moderates, like Snowe and Lugar that they lost this cycle. From the House they can still grind the next 4 years to a near complete halt, passing nothing but anti-abortion measures and defunding ACA again.

The big fish is that Vermont is going to start single payer between 2014 and 2017, signaling the slow end to the entire industry in America. California and Montana may join by then. As single payer spreads through the states over the next decade or so, what remains of the Republican party will be destroyed for good. They'll become like the right wing in Europe - liberals that hate minorities.

Hopefully we can put together a seasteading fund as a consolation prize.

[quote name='Allahpundit']Update: CBS just called New Hampshire for Obama, which simplifies things. If Romney doesn’t hold on in Florida, Virginia, and North Carolina and win Ohio and Iowa or Colorado, he’s done.[/QUOTE]

Damn, thats gonna be tough.

bread's done
Back