Employees Of All Stores - Post Your Stupid And Funny Customer Stories - Part Cinco

[quote name='Ski Hawk']You post over at DDRFreak don't you YoshiFan? I saw the exact same post over there. I'm Amedectlyte from there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I post at DDR Freak but not as much as I used to. I also took a bunch of my older posts from this thread and put them in the thread on DDRFreak.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Man, after reading all of these stories I'm glad I don't work retail.

I hardly have any bad customers at work (I live in ND, a very friendly state). I work at a pita place, and the worst thing I've had to deal with was someone who called and asked me to read the menu and the prices. I did it, as the menu isn't terribly huge, but you can either go online or come in to see, you don't need to call the store.

I also had someone call and complain that we forgot to put one of her vegetables in her pita. Sure, we messed up, but is it a huge deal? It was a mistake. What do you expect the store to do about it?[/QUOTE]

How is a pita place NOT retail?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Today I realized how much I hate when customers ask if we have an item, I know we don't have it but they get annoyed when I say we don't have the item without checking and to get them to leave me alone I have to waste time checking for it.

It was 9:10, we closed at 9:00, someone asks if we have ironing board covers. I tell them we don't but they insisted I look anyway. I have been in the store on average 6 out of 7 days a week and know if we have items or not. Then they get annoyed when you don't have it even if it's an item we don't carry because not more than 1 person would want it[/QUOTE]

I don't bother checking... if I'm 100% sure we don't have it, I tell them either a) I've been working here for X years and we've never carried that or b) I just downstocked that section/ checked that item myself, and we are out of it.

I got miffed at another employee for that the other day... a lady was looking for a specific kind of thank-you card from out dollar bins. I told her we're all out. Are you sure? Yes I'm sure. (The dollar bins are my area, so to speak, I check the products several times a day- especially recently, as we're about to hit a product rotation, so I have to watch for things to sell out and fill the spot with something-or-other.) Another employee was nearby and heard this, and comes over to 'help'... meaning she started digging up my carefully stacked 'thank you' cards of a different design to see if I 'missed' one. After a minute, I said "You know, I have been watching this stuff like a hawk, and we are definitelyout." Yeesh.

Ahh yes, customer stories...once upon a time back in high school, I worked for the local Target. It was a Saturday like most others, it was steady all day but not crazy busy. I was working up front as a cashier, and I always kept an eye out for the electonics people who brought up games just to see what people were buying. I see the electronics guy bring up a handful of games and know there are going to be some fellow gamers coming up soon to purchase these games. Enter little kid of say 11-12. He is buying one of these games and he comes through my lane, so I go and grab the game and ring it up for him and tell him he owes my fifty some dollars. He gets this huge grin on his face and hands me a jar of coins. I instantly think, "seriously?" Apparently he had been saving all of his coins and allowance and everything for this game forever, and was kind enough to bring all of the change to me at the store, so I was able to count out this fifty-some dollars in change to pay for this video game. It was hard to be mad at the kid since he was so excited about his game, but really, how hard is it to go take it to the bank with the change counting machine.

Really hard if you're a 12 year old carrying 50lbs in metal disks.

[quote name='aphu9876']Ahh yes, customer stories...once upon a time back in high school, I worked for the local Target. It was a Saturday like most others, it was steady all day but not crazy busy. I was working up front as a cashier, and I always kept an eye out for the electonics people who brought up games just to see what people were buying. I see the electronics guy bring up a handful of games and know there are going to be some fellow gamers coming up soon to purchase these games. Enter little kid of say 11-12. He is buying one of these games and he comes through my lane, so I go and grab the game and ring it up for him and tell him he owes my fifty some dollars. He gets this huge grin on his face and hands me a jar of coins. I instantly think, "seriously?" Apparently he had been saving all of his coins and allowance and everything for this game forever, and was kind enough to bring all of the change to me at the store, so I was able to count out this fifty-some dollars in change to pay for this video game. It was hard to be mad at the kid since he was so excited about his game, but really, how hard is it to go take it to the bank with the change counting machine.[/quote]

[quote name='aphu9876'] It was hard to be mad at the kid since he was so excited about his game, but really, how hard is it to go take it to the bank with the change counting machine.[/QUOTE]

Chances are, he didn't realize the bank even had such a thing. Now, why his parents didn't take him to the bank to get 'big money' for his 'little money' so he could buy his game- that's the better question.

If someone brought a jar of coins to my till I would probably shoot them or myself. We have to count out and balance our trays out at the end of the shift and if I had to count out $50+ worth of coins on top of the other money in my till I would be choked. Especially on a closing shift.

I work at Menards. It's a hardware store -- comparable to Lowes.

This guy comes up to me:
Him: "Hey, uh, where do you got fish hooks?"

I'm really puzzled. Fishing hooks? This is a hardware store. Yes, we randomly have socks and a limited supply of food and some other quirky things, but we most certainly do not have fish hooks.

Me: "You mean like for a fishing rod?"
Him: "Uh, yeah."
Me: "We don't have those here."
Him: "Well that's funny, my dad just got some here yesterday."

OK... now I'm mad. I know we don't have any. I take him over to a full-time coworker:

Me: "Hey, Brian, have you seen fish hooks here?"
Brian: "Fish hooks? We don't have those here."

At this point the guy is on the phone talking to his dad, and he asks that he got them here.

Brian: "Sorry, sir, we don't have those here."
Him, while walking away shaking his head: "Funny no one knows anything around here."

I later saw him ask another employee, who also gave him a confused look. I called every department and asked if they had randomly got fish hooks in (we sometimes get weird promotional items). Nothing.

I hate it when people insist they know more about the store than people like myself, who spends 35 hours a week there. What's more likely: the three employees you asked are clueless, or your dad being senile/confusing Menards with another store?

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I work at Menards. It's a hardware store -- comparable to Lowes.

This guy comes up to me:
Him: "Hey, uh, where do you got fish hooks?"

I'm really puzzled. Fishing hooks? This is a hardware store. Yes, we randomly have socks and a limited supply of food and some other quirky things, but we most certainly do not have fish hooks.

Me: "You mean like for a fishing rod?"
Him: "Uh, yeah."
Me: "We don't have those here."
Him: "Well that's funny, my dad just got some here yesterday."

OK... now I'm mad. I know we don't have any. I take him over to a full-time coworker:

Me: "Hey, Brian, have you seen fish hooks here?"
Brian: "Fish hooks? We don't have those here."

At this point the guy is on the phone talking to his dad, and he asks that he got them here.

Brian: "Sorry, sir, we don't have those here."
Him, while walking away shaking his head: "Funny no one knows anything around here."

I later saw him ask another employee, who also gave him a confused look. I called every department and asked if they had randomly got fish hooks in (we sometimes get weird promotional items). Nothing.

I hate it when people insist they know more about the store than people like myself, who spends 35 hours a week there. What's more likely: the three employees you asked are clueless, or your dad being senile/confusing Menards with another store?[/quote]

LOL I get them all the time at Lowes..

What's more likely: the three employees you asked are clueless, or your dad being senile/confusing Menards with another store?[/QUOTE]

My experience with most stores is number 1

Hey, the Menards by my house is selling groceries and clothing now, seems reasonable that they might have fishing tackle too... :lol:

Someone picked up a box of pre-packaged dessert cakes (like Hostess but a different local brand) and says to their friend while I was ringing them up, "I like these because they taste like cake" What are they supposed to taste like?

At the register another cashier was ringing somone up, he wishes her a happy mother's day. She says, "Thank you, happy mother's day to you as well" He said thanks but he's not a mother. We had a good laugh about that one after the customer left.

Just flub up when you reach for the jar, sending pennies and nickels everywhere. Say "shit man sorry. NEXT!" That'll learn him.
[quote name='aphu9876']Ahh yes, customer stories...once upon a time back in high school, I worked for the local Target. It was a Saturday like most others, it was steady all day but not crazy busy. I was working up front as a cashier, and I always kept an eye out for the electonics people who brought up games just to see what people were buying. I see the electronics guy bring up a handful of games and know there are going to be some fellow gamers coming up soon to purchase these games. Enter little kid of say 11-12. He is buying one of these games and he comes through my lane, so I go and grab the game and ring it up for him and tell him he owes my fifty some dollars. He gets this huge grin on his face and hands me a jar of coins. I instantly think, "seriously?" Apparently he had been saving all of his coins and allowance and everything for this game forever, and was kind enough to bring all of the change to me at the store, so I was able to count out this fifty-some dollars in change to pay for this video game. It was hard to be mad at the kid since he was so excited about his game, but really, how hard is it to go take it to the bank with the change counting machine.[/quote]

I haven't worked in retail for 4 years now but, but yesterday when I was a bb picking up a DVD/VCR combo player, I told the sales rep I will be right back to get a cart and as soon as I walked away to get it, this anorexic black woman said to me "Hey! You work'in?", I turned around , she looked at me, I paused , turned back around and walked off shaking my head as if calling her an idiot... me, I was wearing black pants, black button shirt, and my sun glasses......... Since when does best buy employees where total black AND sunglasses in the store?!?!?!?!?!?!

fucking idiot

[quote name='ITDEFX']I haven't worked in retail for 4 years now but, but yesterday when I was a bb picking up a DVD/VCR combo player, I told the sales rep I will be right back to get a cart and as soon as I walked away to get it, this anorexic black woman said to me "Hey! You work'in?", I turned around , she looked at me, I paused , turned back around and walked off shaking my head as if calling her an idiot... me, I was wearing black pants, black button shirt, and my sun glasses......... Since when does best buy employees where total black AND sunglasses in the store?!?!?!?!?!?!

fucking idiot[/quote]

You could have been more polite. And she could have been bulimic.

[quote name='Porksta']You could have been more polite. And she could have been bulimic.[/quote]

It depends at times. I have no problem with people in other stores assuming I work there when I'm on my break. So far I've had that happen in Waldenbooks, EB/GS, Brookstone, and a few other places. What gets really odd is when I end up walking around in shorts and a t-shirt and people stop me in, say, Target and in Stop and Shop and they ask me if I work there. Some of those times it's just along the lines of "what are you smoking?"

Anyway, I love it when customers try and get around loopholes or try to pass something by my manager. They tend to stay in the store long enough to hear a name or two of the workers or the manager then squeeze up to the register and implore that [INSERT NAME HERE] said it would be just dandy that they could get an extra two items, or that we had a sleeve of plush toys stowed away in the back just for them.

This act becomes a lot of fun whenever the person they are referencing are within earshot since at that point the conversation goes a number of different ways but always ends up with the customer being allowed to complete their purchase and never being allowed into the store again. They also unofficially get shitlisted at our other stores in the area as well for trying that. If you're going to try and lie to get something we're MORE than happy to give you exactly what you deserve.

Memorial day weekend. Working at a Coconuts on the Jersey Shore. Tons of bennies. You can think of all the stupid things people said today.

Worst customer service experience ever.. (Best Buy)

This guy with his 2 kids shows up with a DS Lite that had a "crack" in it. He had a Best Buy replacement warrenty and wanted to use it. I explained to him that our warrenty doesn't cover accidents. He then asked why his wife had purchased it and I told him that it covers power outage, normal wear and tear, smanufacture defects, etc. I took the DS to go ask a co-worker in the "crack" counted as norml tear and tear, and as I slightly opened it, the DS literally fell apart. I came back and the guy said he wanted take it back like that.

I called a manager, she came over and explained the situation. He then asscused me of breaking the item. He then went ahead and asked his daughter if the piece that broke off was like that at home, and the daughter that it was. He kept trying to get the daughter to tell him that it wsn't but she kept saying it was. He then apologized and walked away. The manager and I, and I'm sure the customers waiting in line overheard, we're smiling and cracking up inside.

He then leaves and comes back and I see he wants to talk to the same manager. He now got the daughter to say and he wanted and then we called over a higher manager. I started to help other customers and then the head manager told me that when I'm done to talk with them.He told his side of the story again, and, being the nice manager that he is, offered to refund the cost of the warrenty even though he didn't have to but refused to give the customer a new DS. He said that his wife was misinformed what the warrenty covered and whatnot. He then accused him of breaking the item. He left without getting a refund for his warrenty.

I'm a phone operator at Best Buy, but I handly customer service as well. This morning, I was basically solo doing everything. I didn't have much time to answer phones. So finally I got to it, and what a shock, the wife called about the DS. She said that she didn't care about the warrenty but was pissed that I broke it in half and threatened to sue Best Buy since it was on camera and whatnot. I went to the manager (not the higher position one) and explained what they're saying and she told me to tell her to basically call Best Buy Corp and not to give any names or infoormation. There's basically nothing they can sue for. So I went to tell them that, and then she asked for my last name, I told her that I wouldn't give that information over the phone and that she can come into the store and get it from a manager. She asked to speak with a manager and so I went to the manager and told her and she said to tranfser the call to her. So I did.

So I continued doing custom service until I had another question, so I went and asked that manager and also asked what happened. She said not to worry and that if the camera shows anything, is that I didn't break it on purpose and that it basically fell apart. The manager also told the wife that her daughter admitted that it was broken in front of her and I, but she responded by saying that her daughter didn't know the difference between cracked and broken or something. That's basically all of it.

Lesson of the story is that some customers are fucking retards.

Worst customer service experience ever.. (Best Buy)

This guy with his 2 kids shows up with a DS Lite that had a "crack" in it. He had a Best Buy replacement warrenty and wanted to use it. I explained to him that our warrenty doesn't cover accidents. He then asked why his wife had purchased it and I told him that it covers power outage, normal wear and tear, smanufacture defects, etc. I took the DS to go ask a co-worker in the "crack" counted as norml tear and tear, and as I slightly opened it, the DS literally fell apart. I came back and the guy said he wanted take it back like that.

I called a manager, she came over and explained the situation. He then asscused me of breaking the item. He then went ahead and asked his daughter if the piece that broke off was like that at home, and the daughter that it was. He kept trying to get the daughter to tell him that it wsn't but she kept saying it was. He then apologized and walked away. The manager and I, and I'm sure the customers waiting in line overheard, we're smiling and cracking up inside.

He then leaves and comes back and I see he wants to talk to the same manager. He now got the daughter to say and he wanted and then we called over a higher manager. I started to help other customers and then the head manager told me that when I'm done to talk with them.He told his side of the story again, and, being the nice manager that he is, offered to refund the cost of the warrenty even though he didn't have to but refused to give the customer a new DS. He said that his wife was misinformed what the warrenty covered and whatnot. He then accused him of breaking the item. He left without getting a refund for his warrenty.

I'm a phone operator at Best Buy, but I handly customer service as well. This morning, I was basically solo doing everything. I didn't have much time to answer phones. So finally I got to it, and what a shock, the wife called about the DS. She said that she didn't care about the warrenty but was pissed that I broke it in half and threatened to sue Best Buy since it was on camera and whatnot. I went to the manager (not the higher position one) and explained what they're saying and she told me to tell her to basically call Best Buy Corp and not to give any names or infoormation. There's basically nothing they can sue for. So I went to tell them that, and then she asked for my last name, I told her that I wouldn't give that information over the phone and that she can come into the store and get it from a manager. She asked to speak with a manager and so I went to the manager and told her and she said to tranfser the call to her. So I did.

So I continued doing custom service until I had another question, so I went and asked that manager and also asked what happened. She said not to worry and that if the camera shows anything, is that I didn't break it on purpose and that it basically fell apart. The manager also told the wife that her daughter admitted that it was broken in front of her and I, but she responded by saying that her daughter didn't know the difference between cracked and broken or something. That's basically all of it.

Lesson of the story is that some customers are fucking retards.

Oh man. I hate when people act as if the warranties cover everything. Granted, Best Buy's warranties are essentially legal theft. Some other stores actually have legitimately useful ones though. Still the customers act as if they can get a new item a year later because they dropped it in the toilet. You can't hit another car because you didn't pay attention and then demand a new car from your insurance. Same thing with warranties.

Hmm, my friend bought a PSP from BB with a warranty and later was able to just return it for credit. I remembed I thought it sounded really cool. Is that not really how it works, or is there something different he did?

And yes, all warranties pretty much suck, especially withe the DS Lite as Nintendo will cover pretty much anything, even just 1 dead pixel. Reminds me I need to return mine to them really soon...

That's the only way to take advantage of service plans if nothing serious ever happens. His PSP was most likely resellable after a simple fix or they could get reimbursed by Sony for it so they gave him a gift card for what he spent. In the event that would have actually been broken they most likely would not have honored the warranty.

[quote name='davo1224']That's the only way to take advantage of service plans if nothing serious ever happens. His PSP was most likely resellable after a simple fix or they could get reimbursed by Sony for it so they gave him a gift card for what he spent. In the event that would have actually been broken they most likely would not have honored the warranty.[/quote]Yah, he basically never played it and I think just used the GC for an MS steering wheel. I thought that was pretty cool since I usually take pretty good care of my stuff, so it seemed like I could just buy something w/warranty and then return later that year (or during warrenty period whenever that is) to trade up for something new.

But I can't really think of much I would even do that with, and it does seem a little shady to me.

This happened about 20 years ago, but it's still a priceless memory.

I worked at a Target during my first year at college. Retail sucked, but it sucked worse as Christmas drew closer. It all came to a head when this old rag in a mink coat came in looking for a Christmas tree.

She naturally wanted the most expensive tree, so one of the guys that was in my department grabbed one off of the shelf and started to put in on a dolly. She immediately threw a fit, saying that she didn't want a tree that was on the shelf "where everyone in the store was touching it and messing up the box".

She demanded that my co-worker get her one off of the overhead riser. We both explained to her that the box on the riser was no different than the one at floor level, but she would not hear of getting anything but the tree that was 12 feet or so above the sales floor....so he goes to get the rolling ladder. All the while, I get the pleasure of standing next to her and listening to her bitch.

As he positions the ladder, she stands off to the side, and he turns to me and whispers "I ought to drop that tree on the bitch", and he climbs up the steps. I put my foot on the bottom step and hold onto the rail to steady the ladder for him.

So he is getting the tree down (big box, you know), and from the side I can see the panicked look on his face as the box starts to slide over his hands. He gets out an "OH, SHIT!!!!" as the box sails through the air.

I did not actually see what happened next, it happened so fast, but when I looked, there was the rich old hag, spread-eagle face down on the floor with a Christmas tree box on top of her. I couldn't help myself, it was one of the most ridiculous things I had ever seen. I started to laugh uncontrollably, which got my coworker to do the same.

The old hag is squalling up a storm - amazingly not hurt, but pissed. The managers are freaking out, there is a crowd gathering, and me and my coworker are sitting/lying on the floor laughing hysterically. Finally one of the managers practically picks the both of us up and shoves us into the office.

We both got a reprimand, she got a free tree, and the store got out of getting sued.

So yeah. Working at Wal-Mart you see everything. I do mean everything.

Recently I counted over TWENTY times where people came to electronics asking us why there were not air conditioners in the electronics department.

I can't count the number of times people have asked me when Zelda was coming to the PS2. I proceed to tell them It's a Nintendo product and they go ape shit.

The everyday customer ignorance comes when I'm doing cell phone contracts and on the phone with Cingular/T-Mobile and customers stand at the counter asking me why I can't can't cash them out. They also scream "HELLO? EXECUSE ME!" while I'm on our phone activating someones cell phone. Gah.

I had a lady demand a free house charger for her cell phone. She claimed she didn't have the house charger despite the contract being over FORTY FIVE DAYS OLD (the time limit to return/exchange cell phone products is THIRTY DAYS to boot). How do you not notice your missing a house charger for over THIRTY DAYS? You don't, she is lying of course. I even told her she should have noticed it and she became rather angry. I told her It's over the thirty days and she has to buy a charger. She proceeds to tell me I don't know how to do my job and I respond "Well I've been doing this for five years" then she tells me "So this is your real job?". She then states "It's out of my way to go here" (despite her living 5 minutes away according to her contract) Wow. So as I page for a member of management I'm waiting about twenty minutes for someone to come, all the while she's telling every customer and my associate that I'm a total jerk and that I should be fired. Thirty minutes later they give her a free house charger because you know the customer is always right!

The next day she returns to Wal-Mart and buys a DS game and acts like she's never seen me before. lmao.

The worst thing I've seen in terms of customer accidents? We had a lady perform a fake trip over a PLASTIC CLOTHES HANGER and she fucked up in the process hurting her shoulder. She was actually paid by Wal-Mart for her injuries because she threatened to sue Wal-Mart over a PLASTIC CLOTHES HANGER! WTF?

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Heavy Hitter's story[/quote]
:rofl: That's one of the funniest stories I've read here in a long time. Thanks.

Some dumb bitch at work thought she broke her leg today.

She slipped on some ice and fell or something. I don't know. I didn't see it happen. Anyway, she comes up to me and tells me about it. She then lifts her leg up and puts it on the side of the tableish thing. She says, "OH MY GOD!!! I THINK IT'S BROKEN!"

I just gave her the look of "you dumb bitch." I told her, "You walked all the way over here to tell me about it, you're not in the fetal position, you lifted your leg up that high, and your foot isn't dangling there like dead meat. It's not broken."

She said, "OH MY GOD!!! THE BUMP!!!"

I said, "I've had bigger bumps than that. Let me get the first aid kit."

She then blew my mind. "No, I don't need the first aid kit."

I have her another "you dumb bitch" look, but instead asked her, "Where's the ice? I'll get somebody to clean it up. And are you sure you don't need the first aid kit?"

What a dumb bitch.

A new complaint about pricing yesterday. We sell snacks pre-priced at $0.99 for $0.25. They are $0.99 everywhere for the most part (drug store, markets, convience stores etc. all charge $0.99). We had someone complain that $0.25 is too expensive as there is a store 25 minutes away selling them for $0.20each. 75% off isn't good enough? And of course they didn't buy them.

I hate how people complain about prices. They will say $1.00 for a bottle of soda is too much yet they are probably the same people who will gladly pay $3.50 for the same bottle of soda at Six Flags.

There hasn't been too many customers that were really out-and-out stupid, but there were a couple that caught me off-guard.

First one happens near the end of the night, and I'm at the front door making sure that people show their card and that no one is running out with a ps3 (twice already). We also have a pharmacy within our werehouse, and as per state law, we have to allow access to the pharmacy to non-members, therefore, anyone wanting in simply has to say they are going to the pharmacy. Anyway, I'm at the front door, falling alseep from the mind-numbing boringness of it when a gal runs in and when I ask her for her card she just says "I need my drugs!".

Second one was when it was saturday morning, I was at the door, and the family was one of the first people in the door so I was not falling asleep. Anyway, one of the kids looks at me, and asks me as seriously as he could, and as straight-out as he could, if I were "president of the united states?". When I told him that I didn't know just to play around with his mind, he then asked if I was George Bush. His family was pulling him away but I told him that I didn't think I had enough gray hair to be Bush.

Alright had some crazy ones this weekend.

A family comes in (Dad, mom, and two small kids, boy and girl, probably 10ish). They're walking by the movies and the girl says, "let's buy Lady in the Water!", to which the dad YELLS something like, "That movie's crap!". And I mean he yelled at the little girl. At this point I knew these people would be tons of fun :roll:

So they are looking some more, and then approach me at the counter. The woman asks if we have The Haunting, and I tell her yes we do, it's in horror. As I'm walking over to show them, the dad starts yelling at me, "Hey! Hey! Wait!", so I turn around and he says, "Uh, hey, do you have any good war movies? Like World War II?" I was like, "WTF? This can't wait a few seconds?" So I grab the Haunting and Flags of our Fathers and go back to ring them up.

I then make the mistake of trying to sell something to them. I begin to pitch rewards since they had the older movie, which would be free, so they would get the package for just $6 more instead of $10, which isn't too bad (as a side note, I've had people decline this package when it was only $2 more, or even when it would be cheaper to get the package. :bomb:) So I explain to the woman how it works, and she doesn't get it, but for some reason is really excited to hear it again. So I explain it again, and she tells her husband to listen to it a third time. I go again. Each time I try to simplify it and say it differently, but these people are just too gone. Halfway through the dad says, "I don't want anymore movies", which I thought would stop this insanity (although technically I wasn't trying to get him to rent anything else); the woman then says, "no, listen to him!" and I have to try AGAIN. I don't think I've ever had anyone ask me to try to sell them something more than once. Finally, the guy says he doesn't have $6 and that's the end.

----------
Also had some 25ish kid get in an argument with me. Brings up a stack of previewed dvd's, but they are just 4 different ones, but about 5 or 6 of each. I could tell immediately what he had planned: a 4 for $20, but he wanted make sure he got good discs. This is fine, except the way he went about it was all wrong. Don't ever bring someone a ton of extra work. I know it seems silly, but I would rather someone brought me a few discs and asked me to check them. If they are not in good shape, I go grab a few more.

I started to check the discs and the guy wanted to do it himself. Now I had a weird feeling about the guy; he seemed shady, brought up tons of discs and wanted to look at them. When this stuff happens, it can seem like someone is trying to confuse or distract me, and make off with a stolen disc. I told him I could check out the discs and let him look at them, but I wasn't about to just let him handle all the discs. He got super pissed and started saying I had some sort of mental issue (wtf?); I finally just asked my manager what he thought and he said although it's against policy, we could let him do it this once.

In retrospect, I handled this all wrong; in fact I think I was about to just hand him each disc anyway when he demanded I let him hold them, which set off alarms 'cause it just seemed off. I really wish I hadn't been so stubborn though. About ten seconds in I should have either let him just do whatever he wanted, or gotten the manager. The guy really pissed me off and acted like a complete ass. I was having a good day too.

Okay I've got a great one, but not from me exactly. This happened to the Store Manager (let's call him Eric) at the blockbuster I work at tonight. I'll try to remember it all...

A customer came up with a Wallace and Gromit movie; he had a used copy and a new copy. The used copy was $14.99, and the new $9.99. He wanted to know why the used was higher than the new, and since it did seem a little silly, Eric told him he could get the used copy at $9.99 (so he could take advantage of the 4 for $20 used dvd offer). So the customer goes to find 3 other used $9.99 movies. Anyone see where this is going?
Customer returns with the used Wallace and Gromit, another used $9.99 movie and two NEW $9.99 movies. Eric tells him that he can not sell him all of the movies for $20 since the deal is only for used movies; he would gladly let him get Wallace and Gromit in the deal even though it is still $14.99, but he needs the other three to be used movies.
The customer then proceeded to argue with Eric for TWENTY MINUTES. He told him how he had been a manager of some tree farm (WTF?), and how one happy customer tells 3 people but an unhappy customer tells 12 blah blah blah. Eric told him how he was aware of the statistics, but the fact remains he can't sell a new movie as used, especially for $5 a piece (what 4 for $20 evens out to), since we pay nearly retail for new movies anyway. Eric made the analogy of going to a car dealer and asking for a new car at a used price... for some reason the guy understood why that wouldn't work but still wanted to get the new movies at a used price. Finally it ended with him saying, "So you want me to just walk out of here empty handed?", and Eric replied, "If that's what you feel you need to do."

The guy RETURNED with some 3 disc John Wayne set he got at Wal-mart for $15, saying, "I thought you had the best deal in town?" I guess he told Eric that he had a nice conversation with him, and Eric said, "I'll never forget it". The guy answered, "Oh... you won't remember it forever".
"Yeah, I don't think I'll ever forget it."

Hope that wasn't too long winded, seems very less funny typing it out... and I wish it had happened to me. But I still can't believe the guy argued for 20 minutes when it obviously made no sense. Just one of those guys that believes the customer is always right, so I'm gonna act like it till I get my way.

I knew before I started doing retail that the customer is not always right, and it certainly shows after working in a card store for a while. Otherwise, here is what a handful of our customers think they are allowed whenever they make a purchase:

Everything They Buy Must Be 50% Off
Everything Must Be Buy 1 Get 1 Free
We Absolutely Must Have Stock of Things We Ran Out Of
We Absolutely Must Have Stock of Things That We Have Never Had
We Absolutely Must Have Stock of Things That Do Not Exist
By "Law" We Must Give Them Back 150% of What They Paid Upon a Return
We Must Give Them Cash Back for Debit Card Purchases Even Though We Cannot
We Should Allow Them to Pay With Credit/Debit Cards Without Any ID
We Must Accept Any and All Returns, Even if it's From Bloomingdales or GameStop
Breaking Products is Perfectly Acceptable So Long as You Are Not an Employee
Store Hours are What the Customer Desires, Not What is Feasible
We Must Price Match With Notes They Scribbled Down on a Cocktail Napkin
We Must Price Match With Stores that Do Not Exist

And, sadly, there are those customers who believe that at least five or six of the aforementioned ~have~ to be true. The saddest part is when it's done on things like $1 cards, when people eat candy from the displays and then complain its too damned expensive to pay for, and so forth. Class acts, all the way.

I work at a grocery store; unsurprisingly, we sell cigarrettes.

We order cigs on Wed./Thurs., depending on how busy it is, and we order what we know we can sell. We're not going to order four cartons of Marlboro Smooths, because no one buys them. We have NO problem specially ordering stuff, ordering an extra carton, or setting some aside for a customer that specially requests it. We get cigs on Saturday; almost everyone knows this.

So tell me, Marlboro Light Menthol 100s in a carton lady, WHY would you come to my store every day aroud seven this week, ask if we have a carton of your cigarrettes, get pissed when the situation hasn't changed since yesterday, and then refuse to leave a note at the desk?

I told her Tuesday night to leave a note at the desk, and also that we wouldn't get any in until Saturday morning. Sure enough, Wedensday night, she went on her normal fucking rant about how ridiculous it was that we didn't have them, she couln't believe we hadn't gotten any in, etc.

I heard she came in Thursday and last night too...luckily she ddin't come through my line!

I'm suddenly reminded of an incident that happened a few years ago. I was in the checkout line at Meijer. Ahead of me was this shady looking chap wearing a filthy trenchcoat. Hands the clerk a single Matchbox car and immediately says "I'm only paying X dollars for that because that's how much Target charges." I don't know what Meijer's price-matching policy is (assuming they have/had one) but the guy had no proof whatsoever...and it was a single Matchbox car ffs. Obviously the clerk wouldn't bite, so the guy says "forget it, but I will take these," and then pulls five of those Brach's starlight mints out of his pocket (the kind you purchase by weight). I'm not sure they even registered on the scale, but the clerk charged him twenty cents and sent him on his way.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I don't think fast food counts as retail.[/quote]Regardless of whether it's retail or not, the thread is to post stupid or funny customer stores - of which I don't think anyone has even attempted to do yet. Not a whole lot of customers have stores, much less stupid or funny ones ;)

I was ringing up a customer today and she asked me to look at all the items she was buying to make sure none of them were made in China as she heard "to stay away from products from China"

3 were made in the USA, 1 was made in Sri Lanka which she questioned and asked me if I thought it was ok.

This was a while back, but I was helping my friend at a cardstore he worked for (the manager was cool with me helping out once a while). Anyway, my friend goes off to buy some food for lunch since I carpooled with him. This kid, I'll assume less than 14 or 15, was looking at some pokemon cards. Since it was the commons, I didn't pay much attention, so I walked to the comic section to see if there were any comics I would purchase. There's those mirrors in the corner that gives you a good view of the store, so for some reason I looked at it, and the kid was looking left, looking right, then pockets some cards. I was like eh... I go back behind the counter, read some comics, and the kid walks over and pays for 10 cards.

Conversation (what I can remember of it) after I count the number of cards:
Me: One dollar.
- Kid hands me a dollar.
Kid: Can I have my backpack
Me: Nope, I get to keep your backpack as long as you keep those cards in your pocket.
Kid: What? I don't have any cards. *add in random blabbering*
- I was being nice that day for some reason.
Me: If you give back the cards, you get back your backpack and I won't have you call your parents.
Kid: *More rants about not having the cards and I'm a liar*
Me: I saw you when I was over there *points*. And see those mirrors *point and explains mirrors*
Kid: Okay, okay.
- Pulls out cards (there was more than 50 cards) and I hand him his backpack
Me: Have a nice day and don't come back again.
- He leaves, a few seconds later my friend comes in with Burger King and asks why did a kid leave the store crying? lol, that made my day.

Sorry for the long read.

[quote name='Scorch']Why did you have his backpack?[/QUOTE]

Kids put stuff (aka steal) in their backpacks. Its very common out here and I did it in my store. If a kid had a backpack in my store, he could take whatever he wants and I wouldn't be able to do anything since i'm sure I would be chewed out by a parent by going through a minors backpack. Also, if they are wearing them, they tend to knock things over.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I was ringing up a customer today and she asked me to look at all the items she was buying to make sure none of them were made in China as she heard "to stay away from products from China"

3 were made in the USA, 1 was made in Sri Lanka which she questioned and asked me if I thought it was ok.[/quote]
You should of really fucked with her mind, and tell her that probably about 80% of the stuff in her house is from China and that their government puts hidden surveillance equipment in them.

At least I would of done it.

[quote name='Scorch']Why did you have his backpack?[/quote]

Had his backpack behind the counter so things couldn't mysteriously end up in it. Store policy or something. :D

[quote name='yukine']You should of really fucked with her mind, and tell her that probably about 80% of the stuff in her house is from China and that their government puts hidden surveillance equipment in them.

At least I would of done it.[/QUOTE]

That would have been fun to say. I can't do anything like that since I am supposed to set the example for my employees and not joke around much if at all (though I will comment to them about a stupid customer)

One from today, someone picked up some prepackaged dessert cakes with an expiration date of July 1st which is printed as 701 A customer asked me if that meant they were from July 2001 or meant July 1st. Yeah we are really going to sell food that is 6 years old.

I just spent like 3 hours reading most of the threads on this, it funs to do when your bored. I decided to join and continue adding my daily craptastical days at work. I work at an unnamed game store everyone likes going to :whistle2:#.

Anyways, about a couple of days this dad and his 2 kids come in. They are regulars, but so fucking retarded. I hate helping them, yet they seem to always come when I'm working alone. The kids always grab a random case off the walls and ask if its good even if its NRA GUN CLUB or the classic BIBLE GAME for the PS2. After dealing with this for about 300 times total, I just respond by saying I have never played the best game ever made named Bible Game. So they buy a few a games finally, and are on there way. The next day I see them about to walk in, then suddenly back off. I knew exactly what he was trying to do. Like I said, he was a regular and would CONSTANTLY come in returning the games he bought the previous day stating his kids didn't like. The first couple times I let it past, but then it got to me when he tried returning a new copy of Ape Escape 3 that was clearly played a few times about 20 days after he bought it. I told him to just buy used so he could return them and that I couldn't return the Ape Escape. He understood until that day his kids bought 2 new games again which I knew the minute he backed out of the door that he was going to try and return them.

Moving on, 2 hours later I got the bathroom to drop a deuce. I come out and see the dad trying to return the game at my other employee. I told him the story before the dad showed up so he didn't let him return it. So this guy tried to pull a fast one, but no can do buddy. I'm sure he will try again in a few days.

Another story.

I'm working alone because our scheduling system is retarded. This kid comes in, I'd say age 16 - 18. He is looking for an RPG game for PS2. I show him some and start asking which ones he played to get an idea. He says he enjoys games from ATLUS, which is major publisher for RPG games in the U.S. They basically publish a game, produce it, release it, then stop producing it immediately. Mostly because everyone that wants it, buys it at release, then it barely sells anymore. So I point him to their new release of ODIN SPHERE. He decides to buy. This is when it gets funny.

My goal in transaction is give the customer what they want and ring them up as quickly as possible. I'm really fast and courteous. I know the customer just wants to go home and I want to be not doing anything. He sparks a conversation about HD gaming and how he loves the classics (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, etc) and how HD gaming doesn't look any different then those. I was puzzled cause even a baby seal can tell a difference between a RCA Cable SNES playing Chrono Trigger on a standard television to HDMI cable 360 playing Gears of War in 1080p. I was stumped and asked him what he was talking about. Apparently he was telling it how it sounds, he saw no different between regular gaming and HD gaming, no difference in picture at all. I clearly state there is HUGE difference and that I have no idea what your saying. He seemed to think I was wrong and left. Sometimes I wonder WTH some people really think.

Another story. I got tons.

Three kids (about 10 - 13) come in to trade in games. I take them no problem, but notice some seem way toonew. Being there was barely enough of them, I take them in no problem. One was named something along the lines of Tea Bag Van Damme, so we'll call him that.

A couple of days later, Tea Bag and friends come in with about 20 SEALED greated hits games for PS2, and some GBA cartridge that clearly look new. Us being stationed about 60 yards from a Wal-Mart, it seemed pretty fishy. My manager immediately looks at the games, looks at us, and asks where they got them. Tea Bag states he got them for hs birthday (yet he had about 3 copies of each title). My manager says he can't take them because it seems you might have stolen them from wal-mart (which happens all the damn time). They say okay and leave. About an hour later, another kid comes in with the same games, but this time they are all open and asks to trade them in. We turn them down yet again stating we won't take it. One day later, another kid comes in again trying to trade in the same stuff yet this time they took out some of the box arts. I clearly state stop trying, we can refuse the trades, we just refused them 3 times, stop because you've tried this plenty of times. That was yesterday, I see them trying again at least twice this week.

Another.

A dad and son walk in. I'm alone yet again. They just browse until the son finds a case for Halo 3. Here's the convo:

Son: Dad, look, Halo 3, can I get it?
Dad: No, it's rating pending
Son: But we have Halo 2, please?
Dad: no, you can't have it, stop.
Son: Please dad, please
Dad: Stop.
Son: Come on dad, please.
Dad: THAT'S IT.

This is when his dad takes the case from his hand, throws it on the ground, picks his kid up by the arms and takes him out of the store. All I heard was his dad mumble to never act like that again and his kid was crying the whole time. I'll admit it, I laughed, but at least the dad didn't give in.

bread's done
Back