Employees of All Stores - Post your stupid customer stories - Part II-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight at Hastings when my gf and I were looking at used DVD's..

Stranger: "You two work here?"

Me: *looks down at Kurt Cobain shirt* "No."

"How long is 10 minutes?"

She probably didn't believe you and was asking "And how long is ten minutes"..in the sense that sometimes 10 minutes turns into half an hour or longer.

A guy came in eleven minutes after I opened this morning with a suitcase-sized tote bag Filled with dvds. 137 of them in fact. for cash.

Anyone who's worked in a store that takes trades knows the rest of that story involves a strong desire to fall on the floor and cry like a baby, even though I was nice and did the trade and it wound up being a record-breaking day for us.

137 dvds...98% of which didn't scan so I had to manually find them...

I was at work today just checking the schedule when some kid traded in MVC2 for the Xbox.

I put that on hold for myself right away. :)

She probably didn't believe you and was asking "And how long is ten minutes"..in the sense that sometimes 10 minutes turns into half an hour or longer.

Oh, I know it does sometimes, I just found the entire question very ironic.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']That seems highly suspicious.[/QUOTE]

It's unusual but it happens. One of my co-workers just opened the store one day and some dude walked in with 76 anime dvds.

He said the dude was a prick also.

This isn't about a customer, but its pretty stupid none the less. I was putting PCs in a clinic that opened yesturday... I was tying down some cables under the reception desk and a patient came up to the desk to check in. This is the GRAND OPENING and what does the receptionist ask... "Have you been here before?"
:wall:

[quote name='Kuros']It's unusual but it happens. One of my co-workers just opened the store one day and some dude walked in with 76 anime dvds.

He said the dude was a prick also.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one time when I was still working at a San Diego EB, we had a guy trade in three boxes of sealed anime dvds. Apparently he won them in some contest or another. I was gonna cry when I came in to work and three large boxes of trade-ins were waiting for me. Didn't help that I worked at a mall store back then and it was one of the busiest days of the week. Think he got somewhere around $300 cash for the dvds

[quote name='tauruskatt']A guy came in eleven minutes after I opened this morning with a suitcase-sized tote bag Filled with dvds. 137 of them in fact. for cash.

Anyone who's worked in a store that takes trades knows the rest of that story involves a strong desire to fall on the floor and cry like a baby, even though I was nice and did the trade and it wound up being a record-breaking day for us.

137 dvds...98% of which didn't scan so I had to manually find them...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel like a jerk because I have 40 games I'm waiting to trade in, just waiting for a good trade in deal to go down. But I talked to a guy at a GameStop about trade in deals and he asked me "How many games are you thinking of trading in?" When I told him he said "I hate you. Not really. But I hate you."

So I told him when I was ready to trade them in I'd found out when he wasn't working and do it then so he wouldn't have to deal with it all. He seemed to like that.

[quote name='KingSpike']Yeah, I feel like a jerk because I have 40 games I'm waiting to trade in, just waiting for a good trade in deal to go down. But I talked to a guy at a GameStop about trade in deals and he asked me "How many games are you thinking of trading in?" When I told him he said "I hate you. Not really. But I hate you."

So I told him when I was ready to trade them in I'd found out when he wasn't working and do it then so he wouldn't have to deal with it all. He seemed to like that.[/QUOTE]

Shit, one time I traded in close to 70 games at that last trade in deal - trade in 3 games, get an extra 10 dollars credit.

Made close to 350 dollars on mostly cheap ass $5 dollar titles.

The trick is to have one of your friends working at GS/EB then make them go through all of the hassle of entering 50 disc only games that have little to no value then waste time deciding on what you want to spend your $5 on :)

[quote name='WTPolaris']Just a funny tidbit to pass along, I work in a pharmacy as a technician, and many times, especially in the area where I work(tons upon tons of medicaid and caresource), people are forced to get brands instead of generics, but our computer always defaults to use generics(which makes sense.)

Anyways, earlier today, a lady came up to the window and we noticed we had filled it for the generic instead of brand and...

"It'll be about 10 minutes for us to get this switched."

"How long is 10 minutes?"

I literally was dumbfounded, so I just replied with "the amount of time it takes the minute hand of the clock to move 10 times."

Needless to say she walked off pissed off. I got a laugh out of it though. :D[/QUOTE]

That takes the cake for just about any dumb customer story.

I'm curious, how hated would I be if I went to trade in 292 games all at once? Maybe on Madden day or the launch of the Xbox 360 or PS3?

Well, yesterday I learned why the game companies give us extra large shirts for promos.

I put in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 into the xbox (my copy on hold) and was playing a bit before work. 10 minutes later this huge dude comes in and starts playing the Gamecube. Not only is the guy really obese to the point his stomach is hanging out of his shirt, he also smells pretty damn bad. To top it off he was dressed "punk" in a kilt , boots and the get up. He didn't leave that Gamecube for like 20 minutes, then he asks for a gamecube to buy, goes "Ill think about it" and then leaves.

Right after that another really large man I can hardly understand due to his lisp comes into trade in to trade in items. I'll just say he was rather annoying also.

I have nothing against obese people, but please make yourself decent, and shower if you haven't.

[quote name='Kuros']Well, yesterday I learned why the game companies give us extra large shirts for promos.

I put in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 into the xbox (my copy on hold) and was playing a bit before work. 10 minutes later this huge dude comes in and starts playing the Gamecube. Not only is the guy really obese to the point his stomach is hanging out of his shirt, he also smells pretty damn bad. To top it off he was dressed "punk" in a kilt , boots and the get up. He didn't leave that Gamecube for like 20 minutes, then he asks for a gamecube to buy, goes "Ill think about it" and then leaves.

Right after that another really large man I can hardly understand due to his lisp comes into trade in to trade in items. I'll just say he was rather annoying also.

I have nothing against obese people, but please make yourself decent, and shower if you haven't.[/QUOTE]

They don't only give extra large shirts to give to customers as promos; whenever EB sends a shirt for employees to wear...they always send large or extra large. I'm 5'4" and my coworker is 4'11" (we make fun of her a lot)...we look like we're wearing ugly dresses when we put those shirts on.

[quote name='vietgurl']They don't only give extra large shirts to give to customers as promos; whenever EB sends a shirt for employees to wear...they always send large or extra large. I'm 5'4" and my coworker is 4'11" (we make fun of her a lot)...we look like we're wearing ugly dresses when we put those shirts on.[/QUOTE]

Hm, thankfully we don't have to wear shirts from corporate at GS. :)

Sometimes I wish they would just send medium/small shirts for the actual THIN people. I think that game companies and corporations forget that some people in america actually are still skinny, we all arent McDonald's addicts. Although it is fun to wear XL shirts as dresses ;)

Long time lurker and first time poster. These stories are extremely interesting and have sence quelled my long ago dream of being a gaming retailer.

I do have story to share as a customer / browser that I found annoying.

I'm checking out the Gamecube section of Babbage's (Gamestop) and the sales clerks pops in. "Are you going to get the new Legend of Zelda?". Before I could respond, he says, "Nintendo is only shipping us a limited number, so you'll have to preorder it for $5, if you want it on the release date."

Now this was back in May, possibly before E3, so the damn title of the game hasn't been announced yet much less a release date, but this guy knows what his store's shipment will be. Not only that this shipment will be so limited that I should reserve it 6 months before it's estimated release date or I won't get a copy.

Since mostly retailers have been posting in this thread, this there any credibility whatsoever to the statement? Do you guys say things like this (ie, bullsh!t) to scare cutomers into a sale? If places like EB and GS don't have a Zelda to sell me at release, guess what, Best Buy or Circuit City or TRU will.

I felt annoyed and insulted and I walked out. As I'm at the door the guy asks across the store, "So are you going to put down that $5?"

[quote name='Kiff']Long time lurker and first time poster. These stories are extremely interesting and have sence quelled my long ago dream of being a gaming retailer.

I'm checking out the Gamecube section of Babbage's (Gamestop) and the sales clerks pops in. "Are you going to get the new Legend of Zelda?". Before I could respond, he says, "Nintendo is only shipping us a limited number, so you'll have to preorder it for $5, if you want it on the release date."

Now this was back in May, possibly before E3, so the damn title of the game hasn't been announced yet much less a release date, but this guy knows what his store's shipment will be. Not only that this shipment will be so limited that I should reserve it 6 months before it's estimated release date or I won't get a copy.

Since mostly retailers have been posting in this thread, this there any credibility whatsoever to the statement? Do you guys say things like this (ie, bullsh!t) to scare cutomers into a sale? If places like EB and GS don't have a Zelda to sell me at release, guess what, Best Buy or Circuit City or TRU will.

I felt annoyed and insulted and I walked out. As I'm at the door the guy asks across the store, "So are you going to put down that $5?"[/QUOTE]

That guy was really pushy. Although it is his job to get reserves, he didn't need to try to force you to get one. I don't try to push reserves on someone, but I do try to suggest someone to get one.

You should really pitty them. If they don't do that, they get fired. All game stores have quotas they have to make. You have to get so many pre orders, x amount of warranties and some number of discount cards/subscriptions. If you don't meet it 2-3 times they fire you.

[quote name='Kiff']Long time lurker and first time poster. These stories are extremely interesting and have sence quelled my long ago dream of being a gaming retailer.

I felt annoyed and insulted and I walked out. As I'm at the door the guy asks across the store, "So are you going to put down that $5?"[/QUOTE]

The last comment of his would be the only comment of his that I would consider "pushy."

As for the rest of it, of course there is credibility to the statement. He said, "We're getting a limited amount of copies." Everyone is getting a limited amount of copies. It's not like they have an infinite number of copies to give out immediately. He didn't say "We're getting exactly 200 copies, so you should preorder to get one of them." He said "We're getting a limited amount." Sounds about right.

Yeah, they're only getting about the same amount as Halo 2, right?

I work at a Quiznos, and for anyone who isn't familiar it is a sub shop that also sells drinks, cookies, chips, etc. basically like a Subway. Although its not retail sales, the customers are just as dumb.

The most common dumb thing people ask is "How much is X sub?" I don't have every price memorized, so I turn to look at the same huge lit up menu with pictures and prices for every possible thing we sell that the customers are looking at. Usually they will follow this up with "Well whats the price difference between X sub and Y sub?" I just want to tell them to do the math, usually its like a 20 cent difference or a dollar, or some other whole amount that the average 2nd grader should be able to figure out.

Also, something that cracked me up the other day was an older couple coming back from the day before and claiming that they did not receive a discount for making their meal a combo. The owner simply showed them that the discount was clearly marked on their receipt and they went on their way. The discount is only 8 cents though.

Surprisingly people often ask for a lot of things that we simply don't sell. Within the last week or two I've had people ask for ice cream, French fries, pizza, and a BLT. I've also seen people buy kids meals, which are $2.99 and throw out the entire thing snacks and drink cup and just keep the sub, when they could have just bought a larger sub for the same price.

The other day some lady started to throw a fit about refills on drinks. Now refills are free if you're eating in the restaurant but you can't come back several hours or days later for them. She complained for a few minutes after she said she would be back that night for a refill. Then she proceeded to say she probably would never come back and that she was gonna take as much as she can and proceeded to fill her baby's bottle with pop.

Luckily the customers are pretty nice generally.

Another one....

Woman comes in with a Gamecube, wants to trade it in. She tells us that it doesn't work, whatever, we can take those back. We tell her because that becuase it doesn't work correctly, instead of giving her 25.00 for it, we can only give her 10.00.

This is the conversation that follows:

She replies with "But the system is perfect"
"You just told us it doesn't work"
"Yeah, but everything else is perfect."

There needs to be a little glass case behind the counter with a gun that reads "Break incase of chronic stupidass fucktard."

Great thread. I work @ Walmart, in electronics, so i get all the idiots.

Pick up the phone :

"Hello, i just bought an mp3 player and i cannot get it to connect to my pc."

- "Ok, have you 1st connected it with the supplied usb cable, to your tower?"

"No, the usb slots on my pc were full, so i tried to plug it into my cable modem."

wow.

And at least once a week people ask for my nes/sega genesis or N64 game section. I like to make them feel bad and mention how many years those are OOP.

[quote name='KingSpike']The last comment of his would be the only comment of his that I would consider "pushy."

As for the rest of it, of course there is credibility to the statement. He said, "We're getting a limited amount of copies." Everyone is getting a limited amount of copies. It's not like they have an infinite number of copies to give out immediately. He didn't say "We're getting exactly 200 copies, so you should preorder to get one of them." He said "We're getting a limited amount." Sounds about right.[/QUOTE]

It was the sales tactic that got to me. Having to preorder the game 6 months in advance is ridiculous. Either they are only getting like 20 copies, with is stupid on their part, or he's trying to get an early sale, and scare me into buying one.

Besides, the way he pitched it was that Nintendo was publishing a limited amount (ie, far less than demand), which is ludicrous.

[quote name='Kiff']
Besides, the way he pitched it was that Nintendo was publishing a limited amount (ie, far less than demand), which is ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

Hey...only a few years ago that was not a crazy concept for Nintendo.

[quote name='Stingermck']Great thread. I work @ Walmart, in electronics, so i get all the idiots.

Pick up the phone :

"Hello, i just bought an mp3 player and i cannot get it to connect to my pc."

- "Ok, have you 1st connected it with the supplied usb cable, to your tower?"

"No, the usb slots on my pc were full, so i tried to plug it into my cable modem."

wow.

And at least once a week people ask for my nes/sega genesis or N64 game section. I like to make them feel bad and mention how many years those are OOP.[/QUOTE]

And yet, some Walmarts still sell (and by "sell", I mean have stock and try to get close to original MSRP) some N64 games.

Ok, I got one: I had a lady come in with a return yesterday, and she hands me her 'reciept'- which is half a sheet of computer paper with a black and white photocopy of a reciept on it. (for reference, our reciepts have some red on them.) So, I politely tell her I'm not allowed to do this return, becuase the reciept is a photocopy. And she says... "That's not a copy."

.... I had no idea how to respond to that. I cannot fathom the stupidity needed to believe that this was a) an original reciept, or b) that any cashier would be stupid enough to not notice that this was a photocopy- I mean, it wasn't even cut down to a reciept width. You could see the fuzzy black areas along the sides that turn up when you make a cheap photocopy of something small.

Once my brain recovered from that, I told her that I'm sorry, but this was indeed a copy, so I couldn't do it. Then she wanted to know why. ...Oh-kay... I explain the whole thing about multiple copies for theft and stores won't take copies for security. So then... she wants the manager. :roll:

Lucky for me, the top-o-the-chain store manager had just come in, so I called her up and she told the lady we can't do a regular return, but we'd be happy to give store credit (which is what we do for no reciept, no biggie.) She packs up and leaves in a huff. (We did find out that she'd apparently bought a big frame for a friend, who gave her the photocopy when she asked for the reciept back to do her return.)

Ya know what the kicker was? The return was for.... one 8x10 mat. Price about $2.99. People really confuse me sometimes.

[quote name='KingSpike']The last comment of his would be the only comment of his that I would consider "pushy."

As for the rest of it, of course there is credibility to the statement. He said, "We're getting a limited amount of copies." Everyone is getting a limited amount of copies. It's not like they have an infinite number of copies to give out immediately. He didn't say "We're getting exactly 200 copies, so you should preorder to get one of them." He said "We're getting a limited amount." Sounds about right.[/QUOTE]

My coworkers would tell me to blatantly lie about the copies people had reserved. Some moran said to tell people we'd gotten 500 reserves for Madden. Even the assistant manager told him to STFU. So don't trust any figures or anything they give you. Use common sense: reserve only games that you KNOW are going to be hard to come by, like Riviera or Disgaea or SMT for instance.

Thank god I haven't had to work retail in over 12 years now.

My worst was this lady and her son that used our Babbages as a game rental. They would buy a game and then return it a week later. This was back when you had to make concessions to the customer, so I couldn't refuse them or anything like that. Finally, management had enough and told me that she wasn't allowed to return anything. Sure enough, she came in that day.

When I told her that we weren't accepting the return, she immediately reaches over the counter and grabs our phone. I put my finger on the switch and told her that there was a pay phone across the hall. She starts bitching me out about how she was going to call her husband and he was going to "make this right".

My manager heard all the screaming (yes, it escalated from yelling to screaming) and came out from the back and demanded that she leave. She then starts yelling that we can't kick her out from a public place. He tells her "This isn't a public place. It's a store, a private location and that we can do as we like."

She starts screaming that this is just some tactic to jip her from getting a refund when she suddenly stops and walks away. A few seconds later, security strolls up to our gate and asks what's going on.

[quote name='SuprTnr2']Sometimes I wish they would just send medium/small shirts for the actual THIN people. I think that game companies and corporations forget that some people in america actually are still skinny, we all arent McDonald's addicts. Although it is fun to wear XL shirts as dresses ;)[/QUOTE]
I agree. I'm short and skinny, so I get the whole dress effect on the shirts they send. Luckily, though, there were actually some medium sizes in the DS shirts they sent a while back. Still too big, but much less rediculous-looking than usual.

Yeah, unfortunately I was rocking the dress on my Darkwatch tshirt that I picked up from darkwatch.org on there little point system thingy.

(Btw, zingela nice siggy, DC is teh pwnz0r).

[quote name='saigumi']

She starts screaming that this is just some tactic to jip her from getting a refund when she suddenly stops and walks away. A few seconds later, security strolls up to our gate and asks what's going on.[/QUOTE]

stop with the foreplay, finish the story.

I had a guy today ask me if the number of preplayed games I sell affect the number of hours I get when I offered him a preplayed copy of a game instead of a new one. I told him yes and he bought a new game.

Ok, I've got a few more to add to my neverending pile of stupidity....

--------------------------
Customer: Does this game go online?
Customer proceeds to show me Sega GT ONLINE
Me: Yeah, I think so.
----------------------------
Customer on the phone: Do you guys carry the Nintendo Sneeze? (He was looking for an SNES, and just proceeded to say Sneeze...)
-----------------------------
Customer on the phone: Yeah, my son is looking for the Gameshark ultimate codes, do you guys have that in your store.
Me: Are you looking for the book or the CD one?
Customer: I don't know, my son is the one looking for it.
Me: Ok, could you ask him which one it is?
Customer: He says its 9.99.
Me: Ok, the book is 9.99, and so is the CD cheat discs we have.
Customer: What exactly does this ultimate codes thing let you do.
Me: Um, cheat on your games.
Customer: What does that mean exactly.
Me: It helps you beat your games.
Customer: I don't understand this stuff. We'll just take the one that costs 9.99.
Me: Ok...

Oh, how I love all these stories...

I need to drudge up a few more KFC horror ones. After 7 years, I should be able to think of some.

[quote name='vietgurl']I had a guy today ask me if the number of preplayed games I sell affect the number of hours I get when I offered him a preplayed copy of a game instead of a new one. I told him yes and he bought a new game.[/QUOTE]

really? Your EB/Gamestop does this?

[quote name='tenzor']really? Your EB/Gamestop does this?[/QUOTE]

I would assume so. The more used = more net profit = more hours

Alright my stories aren't really that great but thought I'd share anywho:
I used to work at the dollar movies (so stupidity of almost all customers was basically a given)

I would work the booth that would tear tickets and direct people where to go, well there was a massive clock on the wall behind me (at least 5 feet tall X 5 feet wide), and probably about 5 times an hour some douchebag would come up to me and ask "what time is it?" Of course I wouldn't even mutter, I would just slowly turn around to look at the hulking clock to make them feel even more ignorant. One time some teenager came in, asked the time, I showed him the clock, and for about 2 minutes he tried convincing himself he could read the clock, well about 2 minutes after that I hear..."so what time is it?"

Now I work at a local pizza chain called Dion's Pizza. I have to answer phones sometimes for call in orders. Yesterday I answer with "Thank you for calling Dion's on _____ and _____ how can I help you?", the customer replies "where are you located?"

Then last night I answer and say "Thank you for calling Dion's we are currently closed" and the moron replies "Are you closed?"

Yeah yeah, not that great, but working at the $1 movies you get the stupidest trailer trash jackasses around. Sometimes I would point AND tell them what direction to go in and they would still go the other direction....

[quote name='bil4l']Alright my stories aren't really that great but thought I'd share anywho:
I used to work at the dollar movies (so stupidity of almost all customers was basically a given)

I would work the booth that would tear tickets and direct people where to go, well there was a massive clock on the wall behind me (at least 5 feet tall X 5 feet wide), and probably about 5 times an hour some douchebag would come up to me and ask "what time is it?" Of course I wouldn't even mutter, I would just slowly turn around to look at the hulking clock to make them feel even more ignorant. One time some teenager came in, asked the time, I showed him the clock, and for about 2 minutes he tried convincing himself he could read the clock, well about 2 minutes after that I hear..."so what time is it?"

Now I work at a local pizza chain called Dion's Pizza. I have to answer phones sometimes for call in orders. Yesterday I answer with "Thank you for calling Dion's on _____ and _____ how can I help you?", the customer replies "where are you located?"

Then last night I answer and say "Thank you for calling Dion's we are currently closed" and the moron replies "Are you closed?"

Yeah yeah, not that great, but working at the $1 movies you get the stupidest trailer trash jackasses around. Sometimes I would point AND tell them what direction to go in and they would still go the other direction....[/QUOTE]

Alot of people mumble when they first answer the phone

[quote name='vietgurl']I had a guy today ask me if the number of preplayed games I sell affect the number of hours I get when I offered him a preplayed copy of a game instead of a new one. I told him yes and he bought a new game.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

Ouch! What a bastard!

ok well I work at "Pev's Paintball Park"

and outside we have a "CO2 Shack" and a "Snack Shack" one fills CO2 canisters and sells food and stuff. So both shacks are clearly marked in red paint "CO2" and "SNAX" so this guy comes up to me at the Snack Shack asking to get his CO2 filled. He is standing infront of the bright red painted sign that says "Snax" and asks again. I point to the sign and he gets all pissed off. He goes "Well you should be able to fill your CO2 here!". I explain that a Snack Shack sells snacks and the other fills CO2. So long story short the guy is pissed off for being stupid.

I don't work at Gamestop, but I was in one tonight when I witnessed a great moment of stupidity. Some dude who worked at the nearby Footlocker came in and went right for the used DVDs, getting in my way in the process. He glanced at the shelves and called halfway across the store to the front counter, "Yo man, how much for the DVDs?". The employee just kinda looked at him funny and said, "...there should be price stickers on the front". I couldn't help but to roll my eyes. The guy then left without buying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back