Employees of ALL stores - Stories about 'special' customers! (Now with KAYDEN Power!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best one liners:

Brings a copy of Knockout Kings, Xbox, to the counter, "Do you have this in DVD?"
Overheard, "Yeah, the XBox is so great, it even has a VCR in it!"
Overheard, "So, how did you cut up the ps2 discs to get them to play in your PSP?"
Classics: I'd like a Gamebox/ Xcube/ Nintendo Playbox/ Windows Playcube
"Here's a game for you kids- if you can find the sign in the mall that says we're an arcade, and can tell me right where it is, I'll let you play those systems all day!"

[quote name='CappyCobra']If that aint Trumbull, I don't know what is! :)[/QUOTE]

Oh yea. She's got a million stories.

Some guy, in the same phone conversation, both threatened to take legal action against our store, and to come in and wreck the place and threatened to "snap on me" If he wasn't guaranteed a refund on an XBox because it wouldn't read CD-R's and MP3s, "like his cousin's does" I just loved the irony that he was threatening with legal action, and then by doing something totally illegal. We called the police, but he never showed up.

Oh, and that whole $20 fight night round 2 misprint at gamecrazy was a real pain in the ass. I had all kinds of stupid calling me saying that our other stores let them buy it for $20 so I have to too, or that it's their "legal right" to get it for that price..

We also have our regular smelly customers. This one guy comes in about once a week, with this ugly girl, they both smell like rotten french fries and baking grease, and I can't even breathe around them. He comes in and always buys crap like NBA shootout 2001 and then trades it in a week later when it sucks. The other one is this hobo looking guy with a overbite that smells like he's been eating shit 3 meals a day for the past year. He always asks if we have any more games in like the Guy Game or Playboy the mansion.. I consider it store policy to wash my hands after they buy anything.

I was inside Eb the other day, and a clueless dad walks in.

"Hi, do you have Hitback Rider?"

The clerk looked confused, the dad repeated it, and the clerk just said now, with a little smile.

What game could he be talking about? It must sound like another game, for example Piano Three=P.N. 03.

Not to mention the guys who, despite that we're INSIDE a rental store, have to buy new release games EVERY week, and return them for store credit not 5 days later, because they get bored. There's one guy in particular.. I suggested Jade Empire to him, cause I thought it might hold his attnetion for more than a week.. but within 5 min he got bored.. "not enough action" UGH..

I mean it's good for our store, and for me.. cause we get 20% off used games as employees and that means new release games are usually only $33 for me a week later, thats how I got Oddworld, God of War, and a few others. People just don't think..

[quote name='jer7583']Not to mention the guys who, despite that we're INSIDE a rental store, have to buy new release games EVERY week, and return them for store credit not 5 days later, because they get bored. There's one guy in particular.. I suggested Jade Empire to him, cause I thought it might hold his attnetion for more than a week.. but within 5 min he got bored.. "not enough action" UGH..

I mean it's good for our store, and for me.. cause we get 20% off used games as employees and that means new release games are usually only $33 for me a week later, thats how I got Oddworld, God of War, and a few others. People just don't think..[/QUOTE]

that's awesome.

Once some kid took a massive dump in his pants while looking at our Xbox section. This kid was at least 15, and he was crouching down to look at the games on the lower shelf. He didn't stand back up until an hour later when his mother came. He just crouched there in the same spot, looking at the same game, afraid to move.

How do I know he soiled himself? The smell was horrific! A little kid even walked by and said 'Mommy what smells like stinky poo?'. My manager even asked him if he needed to use our bathroom (letting people into our bathroom was way against the rules) becasue he smelt so awful. The kid said he was just looking. An hour later his mother comes, and rushes him out of the store, coming back later to buy him the game he was staring at for the stankiest hour of my life.

[quote name='Lorik']Once some kid took a massive dump in his pants while looking at our Xbox section. This kid was at least 15, and he was crouching down to look at the games on the lower shelf. He didn't stand back up until an hour later when his mother came. He just crouched there in the same spot, looking at the asme game, afraid to move.

How do I know he soiled himself? The smell was horrific! A little kid even walked by and said 'Mommy what smells like stinky poo?'. My manager even asked him if he needed to use our bathroom (letting people into our bathroom was way against the rules) becasue he smelt so awful. The kid said he was just looking. An hour later his mother comes, and rushes him out of the store, coming back later to buy him the game he was staring at for the stankiest hour of my life.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

[quote name='rallen']I was inside Eb the other day, and a clueless dad walks in.

"Hi, do you have Hitback Rider?"

The clerk looked confused, the dad repeated it, and the clerk just said now, with a little smile.

What game could he be talking about? It must sound like another game, for example Piano Three=P.N. 03.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:k :whistle2:k :whistle2:k ](*,)

I give. What was he looking for?

And this thread rules!

Well, I think I'll chip in a few stories.

1) A customer comes in with a busted N-Gage, not the QD either....yeah don't ask, and proceeds to tell me that it is defective. I'm like ok, can I just see your receipt? She shows me the receipt saying that she purchased the system in November, meanwhile this was about March at the time. It was bought brand new. Gamestop offers a 7 day defective exchange on new systems, anything after that is from the manufacture. This woman proceeds to FLIP on me, saying I don't know how to do my job, I want to talk to your manager (I was the manager on duty), that we should stand behind our products. I mean, I stand behind our products, but the only thing wrong with the system was the charger pin on the N-Gage had bent, and it was unable to charge. Now if I'm not mistaken...that is neither my fault or the manufacture's fault, but her idiot sons fault. I tell her the only thing I can do is give you Nokia's number, which she proceeds to dial IN THE STORE, WHILE I'm standing there. She proceeds to tell her side of the story to the Nokia rep, rather loudly practically lambasting me, saying "This employee doesn't stand behind your products blah blah blah, he doesn't know have to do his job."

Shaq-fu that, maybe if you're son wasn't such a retard he would know how to take care of his stuff.

2) A woman came in who had a defective PSP, and she wanted to return it an get another. Well, PSPs are pretty hard to come by if you didn't know, and we tried to track one down for her and none of the other stores in the area had one. So we told her to call Sony, and it would probably take about a week to send it out and get it back. She was like, I don't want to wait 7 days, I want to switch this out right now. We kept telling her we didn't have any systems in stock, and that by the time we did, you could send it to Sony and back. She was like, but this is broken now, why should I have to wait. She couldn't understand the concept of being sold out of something, or even a manufacture's warranty.

Whatever.

^_^

I have one for you.

I was taking a phone call one day. It was a guy asking for Tony Hawk: Underground 2. At the time, it was still $49.99. The guy asked me if I could check the price if it's $29.99. I asked him what console he wanted me to scan, and he wanted me to scan the PS2 version. I scanned the price for him and told him that the price was still $49.99. He sounded a little outrage because he claimed that the website said it was priced $29.99.

Then, he had the nerve to asked me this question:

"Is there a guy I can talk to?"

WTF was that? I really wanted to bust his nuts. However, I keep my cool and gave the phone to one of my co-workers. BTW, the $29.99 pricetag was the PC version, not the PS2 version. Geez!

[quote name='DuelLadyS']:whistle2:k :whistle2:k :whistle2:k ](*,)

I give. What was he looking for?[/QUOTE]

Same here, me and my bro are still trying to figure it out and we have no clue whatsoever.

BTW, great thread.

[quote name='valor19']Greatest.Thread.Ever.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Ive been debating this for a while, but figured it was about time.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']:whistle2:k :whistle2:k :whistle2:k ](*,)

I give. What was he looking for?

And this thread rules![/QUOTE]

haha, I just searched IGN.com and Gamestop.com trying to find a game that sounds similar to that....I give up.

You'll encounter more or less the same shit with any retail job. No matter what, you're the stupid kid with the worthless, low-paying job, and you'd damn well better kiss the ass of the dirty bastards who mix concrete for $20 an hour (not that there's anything wrong with blue collar jobs), since they know nobody else will.

[quote name='jer7583']Some guy, in the same phone conversation, both threatened to take legal action against our store, and to come in and wreck the place and threatened to "snap on me" If he wasn't guaranteed a refund on an XBox because it wouldn't read CD-R's and MP3s, "like his cousin's does" I just loved the irony that he was threatening with legal action, and then by doing something totally illegal. We called the police, but he never showed up.

Oh, and that whole $20 fight night round 2 misprint at gamecrazy was a real pain in the ass. I had all kinds of stupid calling me saying that our other stores let them buy it for $20 so I have to too, or that it's their "legal right" to get it for that price..

We also have our regular smelly customers. This one guy comes in about once a week, with this ugly girl, they both smell like rotten french fries and baking grease, and I can't even breathe around them. He comes in and always buys crap like NBA shootout 2001 and then trades it in a week later when it sucks. The other one is this hobo looking guy with a overbite that smells like he's been eating shit 3 meals a day for the past year. He always asks if we have any more games in like the Guy Game or Playboy the mansion.. I consider it store policy to wash my hands after they buy anything.[/QUOTE]

What's amazing about the $20 Fight Night (and 2 other games misprinted) is in the fine print, says prices are subject to change at anytime. People always seem NOT to read those. Yet, when something is in there favor, they will make SURE to quote it. Yet, when I quote something against them its always "Its too small! Not my problem". My solution for that situation, take all copys, and put them in the back. Sorry, now were sold out :lol:

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, I often got the 'minium wage loser'. yet I was making $14 an hour, lol[/QUOTE]

wow...that's a lot of money.

*goes and studies* threads like this make me more studious, hehe

Here's a few select rants...please note, these are a year old, so some info may be out of date...

-Can I get a memory card?
For what fucking system dumbass? How am I suppose to know you have a gaystation 2?

- When is Halo 2 coming out
I get this question ATLEAST 5 times a day. It is posted on each gamebox, not to mention at the front counter and on the RESERVE NOW board. Seriously! had one guy come in EVERY DAY for 2 weeks asking for it. The date didn't change, its still November 9th.

- Is that Super Nintendo new?
Yes dumbass, it is. We managed to secure band new Super Nintendos that they havn't made in 10 years!!!! AND were only going to sell it for $29.99. Whoc ares that we can get $120 on ebay for a BRAND NEW BOXED ONE, for you, $29.99.

- Can I get Mario Sunshine on PS2?
This is what gets me. I can understand parents asking these questions as they usually don't know much about videogames in general, but alot of times its regular customers who should know better.

-WAIT! Your only going to give me $25 for this game? I paid $50 for it
Ok, this is my favorite. Let me explain this to everyone. We are a business. The company liked to make money. I like to make money from the company. If you paid $50 for a game, how do you expect to get the same price back for it? So many times the conversation is this..

Offered $25 for a $50 game
CUSTOMER: "But I paid $50 for it!"
ME: "Yeah, but you bought it a month ago...and you dont have the manual, and its scratched..."
CUSTOMER: "So, give me like, $46"
ME: "No...We sell it for $39.99 used... we would be losing money..."

Let me delve further into this. We have bills to pay. Heating, Lights, Water, Rent. Do you think those are free? No. When we pay $25 for a game, we HOPE to sell it for $39.99. Most of the time, we dont. We might sell it at $29.99 (getting us $5 profit), but most of the time, the game sits till we sell it at a loss. VERY rarley do we sell the $39.99 games. Most of the its the $15-$25 games that sell. Why? Because people are cheap bastards. And new games? Well, aftr we pay shipping, we make $2-5 on eaach new game. Systems? We make a whole $5 on it. Lesson over.

If any of you work in a fast food chain, my friend used to bust out some brilliant lines. My personal favorite:

Customer: "You still got that *insert menu item here*?"
Worker: "No, I'm sorry, that was seasonal/temporary/discontinued."
Customer: "What the hell! Why would you guys do that?"
Worker: "Sir, I'm paid an hourly wage to prepare food. Corporate decisions of that nature are beyond my jurisdiction."

That ended the conversation instantly, mostly because the customer would whisper, "Jurisdiction? What the hell does that mean?" under his breath. The inconspicuous smartass is your greatest ally in a bottom-rung job.

[quote name='Panda']^_^

I have one for you.

I was taking a phone call one day. It was a guy asking for Tony Hawk: Underground 2. At the time, it was still $49.99. The guy asked me if I could check the price if it's $29.99. I asked him what console he wanted me to scan, and he wanted me to scan the PS2 version. I scanned the price for him and told him that the price was still $49.99. He sounded a little outrage because he claimed that the website said it was priced $29.99.

Then, he had the nerve to asked me this question:

"Is there a guy I can talk to?"

WTF was that? I really wanted to bust his nuts. However, I keep my cool and gave the phone to one of my co-workers. BTW, the $29.99 pricetag was the PC version, not the PS2 version. Geez![/QUOTE]

haha, ouch. I once had a customer who was asking questions about a game on the phone and then ended it with "can I talk to a GUY who actually PLAYS GAMES?"

i love stereotypes.

oh man all your stories are so funny! I'm not involved in retail and have only been a good customer for you guys ;)

talking about cool games and buying stuff like a good informed gamer does

A quick question for the game-store employees out there: I tend to ask this question alot, worded pretty much excactly like this:

"I'm sure you don't, but might you actually have a copy of Suikoden 2/Valkyrie Profile in the store?"

The no is always followed by "Didn't think so, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!"

This is only when I'm buying something else.

Is this a bad thing to be asking? I know it would be if I actually expected a copy and got mad when there wasn't, but is shot-in-the-dark curiousity annoying?

[quote name='mofo1115']oh man all your stories are so funny! I'm not involved in retail and have only been a good customer for you guys ;)

talking about cool games and buying stuff like a good informed gamer does[/QUOTE]

If you've never worked a shit job with the public, you have no idea how a good customer should behave. Which is essentially "buy things and leave me alone as much as is humanly possible." ;)
Seriously, the people who are assholes in stores/restaurants have no idea what it's like to be on the other end. I would never be a dick to anyone who was serving me anywhere...unless you work at Best Buy. :evil:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']A quick question for the game-store employees out there: I tend to ask this question alot, worded pretty much excactly like this:

"I'm sure you don't, but might you actually have a copy of Suikoden 2/Valkyrie Profile in the store?"

The no is always followed by "Didn't think so, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!"

Is this a bad thing to be asking? I know it would be if I actually expected a copy and got mad when there wasn't, but is shot-in-the-dark curiousity annoying?[/QUOTE]

Things like that don't bother me, unless you're going in every couple of days and doing it. You may earn yourself a nickname, though, which will likely be followed with, "Well, here comes..."

[quote name='defiance_17']If you've never worked a shit job with the public, you have no idea how a good customer should behave. Which is essentially "buy things and leave me alone as much as is humanly possible." ;)
[/QUOTE]

YES!!!! That's it excactly!! Although at my store, I halfway prefer if you just leave without buying anything- then I can do all the crap I'm supposed to do 'in-between customers' or 'when I have a chance', although I'm still expected to get it done regardless...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']YES!!!! That's it excactly!! Although at my store, I halfway prefer if you just leave without buying anything- then I can do all the crap I'm supposed to do 'in-between customers' or 'when I have a chance', although I'm still expected to get it done regardless...[/QUOTE]

Or the even better, "Don't come in at all." ;)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']A quick question for the game-store employees out there: I tend to ask this question alot, worded pretty much excactly like this:

Is this a bad thing to be asking? I know it would be if I actually expected a copy and got mad when there wasn't, but is shot-in-the-dark curiousity annoying?[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I personally don't mind customers who are nice when they ask questions. I mean, it's part of my job to help customers out...it's the rude ones that piss me off. defiance has a point: ever since I started working with the public when I turned 16, I've been really really nice whenever I go into other stores, even if something happens that I'm not too happy about like something is sold out or I don't agree with a store's return policies (it's the corporate's fault, not the individual employee's fault; they don't deserve to take the blame for it.) I've also gotten in a lot of fights with my friends because I correct them when they're mean to retail people: most of my friends have never worked retail in their life (their credit cards are paid off by their parents). Everyone should work retail for at least a month and this world would be a nicer place.

here is my story

One day this mom and her two kids walk into our store. My co-worker was sitting down in a chair doing counts for xbox games, while I was leaning against the counter doing counts for ps2 games. The lady greets me, and I ask her how she was doing and if I could help her with anything. She then puts five ps2 games on the counter, and says I would like to return these. I look at the games and notice the seal was broken on all of them. I then looked to her and said, you want to trade them in right? She was like yeah I want to return them, so I thought to myslef this lady probably thinks returning is trading in. I then proceeded to scan the games and give her the trade in values. After telling her she is only getting like 20 something dollars, she was like what I payed 80 dollars for those, why are you only giving me 20.

I then had to explain to her how trade in works, but then she said she never wanted to trade the games in, but she wanted to return them for full credit since they were too hard for her kids. I was like well ma'am all the games have been open and you don't even have a reciept. She then goes on to tell me this is bullshit, how we won't take her returns and blah blah. Finally my other co-worker steps in and tries to explain it to her. The phone rings so I decide to pick it up and walk away from the scene. Finally when I get off the phone, the lady walks out of the store screaming. After she left, me and my co-worker look at each other and begin talking shit on her. It doesn't stop there, a few minutes later she storms back in the store and asks for our names. She goes on by saying we made her kid cry because we didn't let him return his games. We kept telling her its policy, and showed her the policy paper, but she wouldn't have it, and demanded to talk to the manager. Our manager wasn't working, so we told her to come back tomorrow when she was. She then talks more shit, about how we are horrible people who ruin lives of childeren by being rude to them.

It doesn't stop there, a few hours later when we are about to close, my co-worker was on his break, so I was by myself. A man (the dad) walks in with his kid, without even looking I quickly greeted them. Finally the man started saying "no how are you doing" in a big mean tone. He was like remember me? Then I was like no (you weren't here earlier dumbass), so he replied by saying "well you remember my wife don't you? and my kid? Yeah you are the jackass who made my kid cry right? I know it was you, I came here to tell you that you are a fucking punk. If you and your buddy would be a little more professional maybe more people would shop here." He just kept cussing at me, and getting in my face. The funny thing is he was cursing in front of his 8 year old kid. So I replied "no its the other way around", (I wanted to say he was unprofessional as a dad for cursing in front of his child) but before I could finish he interupted me and said "no its not the other way around , and when I get a chance you and your buddy will be sorry you ever worked here. If I can I will have your job for this" He then walked off

Turns out the family never even showed up, so either they realize they were idiots that trying to return 5 open games w/ no receipt wasn't a good idea, or something else.

[quote name='vietgurl']Everyone should work retail for at least a month and this world would be a nicer place.[/QUOTE]

If I had a dollar for everytime that's come up in a conversation I've been a part of, I'd never have to work again, and my world would be a nicer place.

[quote name='tenzor']we are horrible people who ruin lives of childeren by being rude to them. [/QUOTE]

i'm sure that those kids will be traumatized for the rest of their lives because of you :rofl:

[quote name='tenzor']here is my story

One day this mom and her two kids walk into our store. My co-worker was sitting down in a chair doing counts for xbox games, while I was leaning against the counter doing counts for ps2 games. The lady greets me, and I ask her how she was doing and if I could help her with anything. She then puts five ps2 games on the counter, and says I would like to return these. I look at the games and notice the seal was broken on all of them. I then looked to her and said, you want to trade them in right? She was like yeah I want to return them, so I thought to myslef this lady probably thinks returning is trading in. I then proceeded to scan the games and give her the trade in values. After telling her she is only getting like 20 something dollars, she was like what I payed 80 dollars for those, why are you only giving me 20.

I then had to explain to her how trade in works, but then she said she never wanted to trade the games in, but she wanted to return them for full credit since they were too hard for her kids. I was like well ma'am all the games have been open and you don't even have a reciept. She then goes on to tell me this is bullshit, how we won't take her returns and blah blah. Finally my other co-worker steps in and tries to explain it to her. The phone rings so I decide to pick it up and walk away from the scene. Finally when I get off the phone, the lady walks out of the store screaming. After she left, me and my co-worker look at each other and begin talking shit on her. It doesn't stop there, a few minutes later she storms back in the store and asks for our names. She goes on by saying we made her kid cry because we didn't let him return his games. We kept telling her its policy, and showed her the policy paper, but she wouldn't have it, and demanded to talk to the manager. Our manager wasn't working, so we told her to come back tomorrow when she was. She then talks more shit, about how we are horrible people who ruin lives of childeren by being rude to them.

It doesn't stop there, a few hours later when we are about to close, my co-worker was on his break, so I was by myself. A man (the dad) walks in with his kid, without even looking I quickly greeted them. Finally the man started saying "no how are you doing" in a big mean tone. He was like remember me? Then I was like no (you weren't here earlier dumbass), so he replied by saying "well you remember my wife don't you? and my kid? Yeah you are the jackass who made my kid cry right? I know it was you, I came here to tell you that you are a fucking punk. If you and your buddy would be a little more professional maybe more people would shop here." He just kept cussing at me, and getting in my face. The funny thing is he was cursing in front of his 8 year old kid. So I replied "no its the other way around", (I wanted to say he was unprofessional as a dad for cursing in front of his child) but before I could finish he interupted me and said "no its not the other way around , and when I get a chance you and your buddy will be sorry you ever worked here. If I can I will have your job for this" He then walked off

Turns out the family never even showed up, so either they realize they were idiots that trying to return 5 open games w/ no receipt wasn't a good idea, or something else.[/QUOTE]

Good story, Ive had VERY similar ones as well. Always love how they start cussing in front of there little kids.

[quote name='CappyCobra']I once had a customer ask if we had RESIDENTIAL EVIL :roll: I think we have Suburban Evil in stock Sir. :D[/QUOTE]

A judge ruling on how evil video games were referred to "resident of evil creek" in his ruling.

Well, we are a videogame store. I really don't understand how some people get us confused. Sure, a couple times a week someone calls asking for a board game...but the most unusual was

"Do you guys sell 3D Glasses?"

WHY THE HELL WOULD WE SELL 3D GLASSES? What would you use them for, Spy Kids? Why would anyone call a Game Store asking for those? Infact, what store WOULD you call asking for those?

A small story from my old boss...

He worked in a mall at GameStop. In comes a guy, all the way to the back where the counter is. Well, obviously if you walk thru a whole store you know what they sell. He goes up to the counter and asks "Do you sell Jock Straps?". Sure, the store has GAME in its title...but don't you see VIDEOGAMES? Dumbasses.

Why do people steal? Well, I can understand why, but why steal shit? If you have access to steal a $39.99 game and a $2.99 game, which would you steal? Most choose the latter. Make it count! I caught a kid stealing a $7.99 game (San Francisco Rush)...ATLEAST take a good game! Look, there is Mario 64 and Golden Eye. Don't take shit!

Oh, my favorite is people who try and steal coupons that had a huge VOID stamp on it. Yes, it has happened.

[quote name='gizmogc']Why do people steal? Well, I can understand why, but why steal shit? If you have access to steal a $39.99 game and a $2.99 game, which would you steal? Most choose the latter. Make it count! I caught a kid stealing a $7.99 game (San Francisco Rush)...ATLEAST take a good game! Look, there is Mario 64 and Golden Eye. Don't take shit!

Oh, my favorite is people who try and steal coupons that had a huge VOID stamp on it. Yes, it has happened.[/QUOTE]

My manager was telling me a story about how someone stole a bunch of game cases (since we gut...take games out of the cases) from the bargain bin and stood at the street corner selling the games for $5 each (not knowing that there is no game inside them). So my manager goes up to him and screams "Stop trying to rip people off, THERE ARE NO GAMES IN THOSE CASES" and the guy kinda freaks, gets offensive and starts calling my boss a liar and stuff . People are like gathering around. Then my boss said "I KNOW there are no games inside!" and the guy was like "oh yeah? HOW?" My boss responded with "Because I'm the manager of the store you stole those fucking games from."

Haha, classic.

[quote name='vietgurl']My manager was telling me a story about how someone stole a bunch of game cases (since we gut...take games out of the cases) from the bargain bin and stood at the street corner selling the games for $5 each (not knowing that there is no game inside them). So my manager goes up to him and screams "Stop trying to rip people off, THERE ARE NO GAMES IN THOSE CASES" and the guy kinda freaks, gets offensive and starts calling my boss a liar and stuff . People are like gathering around. Then my boss said "I KNOW there are no games inside!" and the guy was like "oh yeah? HOW?" My boss responded with "Because I'm the manager of the store you stole those fucking games from."

Haha, classic.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Not exactly game store stories, but I think these are pretty good...

I work in a comic/toy/collectables store, and one day, this guy and his fat ass wife come wandering in to the store... "Where yo' supah heero comics at?", he asked. My manger (who is also the owner) says "Well, we have a lot of super hero comics. All of our backissues are in this area". The guy looks and says, "No. These ain't supah heero comics. Where you got the ones that say supah heero on 'em?". "Well," says my manager, "Are you thinking of Legion of Super Heroes?" He shows the guy a LSH issue. "No, those ain't them either." During all this, the fat ass wife decided to sit on a stack of comic boxes, and it was at this time that the poor cardboard finally buckled under the immense pressure from above. The pile of boxes toppled along with the woman. The two of them decided to leave at that point, so we may never solve the mystery of the "Supah Heero comics".

Another time, a car pulls up out front. A fancy looking Caddy with some bizarre looking people inside. One of them is sent inside, apparently as an emmissary. "Do you buy cards?", he asks my co-worker. Assuming he means yu-gi-oh cards as most of our customers do, my co-worker says yes, and calls the owner over, since he takes care of all our trades and purchases. The emmissary takes off his backpack and starts to open it. About this time, UPS pulls up out front with our weekly comic shipment. My boss sends my co-worker and I out to get the boxes from the driver. As I'm leaving, I hear him tell the emmissary, "Oh, are those sports cards? We don't buy those, sorry. You might want to try...". As I go out the front door, I notice that the UPS truck has blocked the Caddy in. "Well," I figure, "We should be done quick, and everything will be fine." The emmissary heads out to his car as I'm getting handed the first few boxes. I turn and start heading into the store, passing the Caddy. I'm just about at the door, when I hear a loud CRUNCH. I turn to see that the Caddy has backed right into the LARGE BROWN UPS VAN that was right behind him. How do you miss that??? Well, the Caddy's wheelman asks the UPS guy if they can just get out of there. They don't want to get cops involved, because that's not a suspicious act at all, right? The UPS guy says no, cause he could lose his job for not reporting this to a supervisor. So begins the hour long wait for the supervisor to arrive. During this time, the four people in the Caddy act rather nervous, until they fall asleep in the car for about a half hour. The UPS driver comes inside to hang out and have a soda during the wait. He says he could definetly smell something odd on the Caddy driver. What wonderful stoned customers we have, eh?

Sorry if I was a bit long winded. If you guys are fine with these non-game store stories, I can probably remember some more...

BlueWing, fine with me. I think this thread should also show stories of employees dealing with customers in a non-gaming world as well.

[quote name='Scahom1']WOW...could it really be the same guy? Although I did get friendly with him, I didn't get a chance to catch his name. He did have a kinda weird voice for someone his age though.

Although, my current manager used to work in the very same store in Trumbull. I'll ask her next time I see her if she remembers his name, because he told me they were friends.

Small world I guess huh?[/QUOTE]

Holy crap... She wouldn't happen to be the woman with long white hair?

It is a testament to the greatness of this thread that it is now 2:11 and I am just now going to bed. I can't remember when the last time was I actually read every single posting in a thread. Kudos, OP

[quote name='chosen1s']It is a testament to the greatness of this thread that it is now 2:11 and I am just now going to bed. I can't remember when the last time was I actually read every single posting in a thread. Kudos, OP[/QUOTE]

Thank You :applause:

Some of you guys are just impatient pricks that expect way too much out of uneducated consumers, most notably GizmoGC. No offense, but people like you justify the stereotype some people have against employees at game stores. I mean, look:

- Is that Super Nintendo new?
Yes dumbass, it is. We managed to secure band new Super Nintendos that they havn't made in 10 years!!!! AND were only going to sell it for $29.99. Whoc ares that we can get $120 on ebay for a BRAND NEW BOXED ONE, for you, $29.99.

Does the average soccer mom, you know, the one with the money, know that they stopped making them? I doubt it, considering she could care less about gaming. Just do what everyone else does - keep your personal opinions regarding someone's knowledge to yourself, smile, and say no, it's not.

"Do you guys sell 3D Glasses?"

WHY THE HELL WOULD WE SELL 3D GLASSES? What would you use them for, Spy Kids? Why would anyone call a Game Store asking for those? Infact, what store WOULD you call asking for those?

Uh, there's 3D glasses that work with certain video cards, and yeah, they actually work well with stuff like Half-Life 2. Take a fucking chill pill.

The "guys only playing games" stereotype isn't cool, though. There's a girl at a local EB (an XBox fangirl, at that!) that I love talking with, just because her viewpoints are so opposite the normal view.

A quick question for the game-store employees out there: I tend to ask this question alot, worded pretty much excactly like this:

Is this a bad thing to be asking? I know it would be if I actually expected a copy and got mad when there wasn't, but is shot-in-the-dark curiousity annoying?

I wouldn't ask it, i'd personally look. I found Suikoden 2 and Intelligent Qube. The former was not mint, the latter was extremely mint and complete, I snatched it.. then put it on hold for guessed, since I had no interest. The employee flipped out when he saw it and joked about taking it instead of putting it on hold. If you ask, there's a chance that if they DO have it in stock, they'll tell you no and get it for themselves.

Maybe i'm just the opposite but I liked uneducated customers, especially ones walking in looking for Manhunt for their 9 year old kid. I dropped the fact that the game was so violent that it was already banned in several countries, and the dad's like "Are you serious? Well let me see that, I might want it for myself!".. good times..

There's only one time I have ever felt bad talking with a customer, and that's when we had gotten a shipment of Mario Kart: Double Dash in. As I answer the phone, I tell the lady that yes, we have it, and yes, i'll put one on hold for her.. only to turn around and find that three people, in the span of ten seconds, literally walked up and bought the game. We hadn't even priced it yet. She came in looking for it, and since God likes to torture me, she turns out to be a pretty hot blonde.. pregnant, too, but still very attractive.. so I end up having to tell her that i'm an asshat, two weeks before Christmas, and her pregnant with a child coming all the way down here. That one sucked.

I've only had one bad customer.. okay, two, but one was at a store that I didn't work at, but my best friend did. First off, my hell customer: guy shat his pants in the mall and walked around, little pieces falling off as he went along. There was a fucking trail in the mall. The janitor had a hell of a day, and i've never smelt anything so foul.. second hell customer, at my best friend's place of employment.. she worked at an electronic express, a few doors down from EB. I'm extremely close with her, so I stop in all the time when she's working just to say hi or ask if she wants to go get something to eat, whatever. Anyways, like some girls do in the electronic field, she used her charm to sell a big screen TV.. the guy got it, left, and kept calling up there to ask for her. He wanted to ask her out.. nothing really came of it, I don't think, and it wasn't really a "hell" customer as much of a "fuck off" customer. Never saw the guy, but she got a nice paycheck (nearly double of mine, that week she had made $500).

That's fine. I personally don't mind customers who are nice when they ask questions. I mean, it's part of my job to help customers out...it's the rude ones that piss me off. defiance has a point: ever since I started working with the public when I turned 16, I've been really really nice whenever I go into other stores, even if something happens that I'm not too happy about like something is sold out or I don't agree with a store's return policies (it's the corporate's fault, not the individual employee's fault; they don't deserve to take the blame for it.) I've also gotten in a lot of fights with my friends because I correct them when they're mean to retail people: most of my friends have never worked retail in their life (their credit cards are paid off by their parents). Everyone should work retail for at least a month and this world would be a nicer place.

Maybe it's just her and I, but does anyone else find themselves doing this? I am guilty of this, especially at Hastings. There's one guy up there that I try to make laugh about the situation (like if I pay with a roll of quarters because that's all I have on me), but he's just permanently pissed off.. the women, however, I usually make laugh. I poke fun at some of the own games I trade in to break up the monotony, and i've found that if I'm nice, they usually give me perks. At GameCrazy, sometimes I'll go in just to talk to the guys working (one guy now posts here, I think), i'll share deals I find, I correct them if they give me back too much or too little change.. at Hastings, I ask them if it's okay to do deals and that I have a TON of games to trade, and they're usually okay with it. The last thing I want to be is a devil customer, back up lines, etc.. they're all nice about it, too. I don't think i've annoyed anyone just yet.

Long story short, while I don't agree with some of the logic in this post (mainly GizmoGC spazzing out over one question, remind me not to ask him to pass something at the dinner table.. "WHAT! WE HAVE NO TURKEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS? fuckING THANKSGIVING! YOU STUPID ASSHAT! OMG!"), it was very entertaining. Returns and irate customers are hilarious, bashing people because they asked a question is not.

Thank You

..he said Thank You to you, and you replied with Thank You, did you just thank yourself?

I never worked at a game store, but I did work at a bank one summer. Trust me, if you think people get upset about games, imagine how they are when it is their money directly.

The number of times that people would come in, try to cash a check, I would check their account, see that their balance was in the negative, I tell them they are going to have to deposit some of the check for me to cash it, them proceed to yell at me about how it is their money, and they don't have to do what some punk kid tells them to do, and they want their damn money, i tell proceed to tell them we aren't a check cashing service and they can go elsewhere if they want the check to be cashed is innumerable.

Also, one time a man came in and immediately started yelling. Apparently the bank repossessed his car the previous night, because he hadn't made a payment on it in umpteen months. We tell him that it was in the contract that he signed, and he continues to yell that, "[He] never signed no damn contract." One of the loan guys, pulls out his file, proceeds to show him the parts about repossessing and how he signed all of the papers. The guy proceeds to yell and tells us he is going to kill us all. At that point we inform him that we are calling the police. He immediately runs out. About 2 hours later a woman comes in, says she is his wife, and proceeds to apologize. Her words exactly were, "I'm sorry about my husband. He is a real asshole. I'll make sure he never comes back in here."
I almost started laughing.

Scorch, keep in mind, the two you quoted from myself, were never said to customer. I simply said "Sorry, NO 3D Glasses, No, Nintendo stopped making SNES in 199x". What is written above is what I AM THINKING in my head. I guarantee every employee of every store thinks things they do not say. I understand alot of costumers are not educated, and was always nice to them. However, when I get asked the SNES question by a bunch of 17 year olds...it just makes me wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back