Employees of ALL stores - Stories about 'special' customers! (Now with KAYDEN Power!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='gizmogc']Scorch, keep in mind, the two you quoted from myself, were never said to customer. I simply said "Sorry, NO 3D Glasses, No, Nintendo stopped making SNES in 199x". What is written above is what I AM THINKING in my head. I guarantee every employee of every store thinks things they do not say. I understand alot of costumers are not educated, and was always nice to them. However, when I get asked the SNES question by a bunch of 17 year olds...it just makes me wonder[/QUOTE]

Along with the, "If everyone worked retail..." fantasy comes the, "If I could say whatever I wanted for a day..." super-fantasy.

[quote name='gizmogc']Scorch, keep in mind, the two you quoted from myself, were never said to customer. I simply said "Sorry, NO 3D Glasses, No, Nintendo stopped making SNES in 199x". What is written above is what I AM THINKING in my head. I guarantee every employee of every store thinks things they do not say. I understand alot of costumers are not educated, and was always nice to them. However, when I get asked the SNES question by a bunch of 17 year olds...it just makes me wonder[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes customers ask me questions that are so dumb I spend a lot of energy containing my laughter. But I really dont' mind helping out customers if they're nice...they can ask me about the XCube 2 and be polite about it and I won't mind spending the next 30 minutes explaining the difference between the 3 systems and that there is no hybrid of all three.

[quote name='defiance_17']Along with the, "If everyone worked retail..." fantasy comes the, "If I could say whatever I wanted for a day..." super-fantasy.[/QUOTE]

I say what I mean when the customer is an ass. They get one shot, if they start yelling, so do I. If a mom comes in and ask's a comply retarded question 'Can my N64 play Gamecube games", I will tell her no, tell her what does, and ask if she needed anymore help. I was never rude to a customer who was not rude to me first.

[quote name='gizmogc']I say what I mean when the customer is an ass. They get one shot, if they start yelling, so do I. If a mom comes in and ask's a comply retarded question 'Can my N64 play Gamecube games", I will tell her no, tell her what does, and ask if she needed anymore help. I was never rude to a customer who was not rude to me first.[/QUOTE]

Bah, most of the time there's no point in wasting the energy required in yelling back. If someone is being ridiculous, tell them how it is, tell them you're sorry they disagree, and help the next customer. That's about as firm as you can get. Ignoring a screaming customer can be far more rewarding than getting into a shouting match, anyway--they get even more pissed, and you don't do anything to risk your job.
And yes, some of us may have the "my manager/employer loves me, I'd never get fired" immunity, but there are plenty of managers who still believe the customer is always right.

Yeah, plenty of managers that beleive 'customer is always right', but that's not the point of this thread. This is where employee's tell there stories. Lets not turn this into anther 'EB employee make me pre-order" thing.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, plenty of managers that beleive 'customer is always right', but that's not the point of this thread. This is where employee's tell there stories. Lets not turn this into anther 'EB employee make me pre-order" thing.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you're trying to say, and by your spelling and what time of day it is, I'm not sure you do, either. Might be time to turn in, gizmo! ;)
Customers can blow, I understand that just as well as the next person, and I love hearing these kinds of stories. I just don't advocate getting into screaming matches with customers, because there really isn't a point to it. As a competent employee (or better yet, a manager), you have a severe upper-hand on bitchy customers. There's no reason to let them know they got under your skin.

Ye, its very late, and I had some alcohol, lol. Just keep it to stories about employee's (us) dealing with customers. There are enough threads with customers bitching about employees.

Got it? I think I did...

Sitting here with my boyfriend reading this thread for a while. We both work at GameStop stores, and though I can't recall any particular occaisions, here are a few of his stories.

Here's a really good one about a recent PSP incident. This guy bought a PSP at some point, and then, a week later, he calls the store, and thankfully, right as I get my 3rd key walking in to take the next shift. Here's the conversation:

Dude: "Hey, can I take back my PSP?"
Me: "What do you mean? A trade in, or return?"
Dude: "No, I want to return it."
Me: "We'll be happy to take it in provided it's still sealed in the box, you have the receipt, and you're within the 7 day return period for a full refund."
Dude: "Well I have the receipt, it's just that I just don't like the system. It sucks and I really don't need it."
Me: "Oh, then I'm sorry, man, the most I'll be able to do is take it in for a trade in of... (check)... $170 in store credit, or if you do want cash back, it's 20% less of that."
Dude: "Wait, what? You guys don't have like... a 30 day money back guarantee policy?"
Me: "Nope. Once it's been opened it's yours to keep, and you have to deal with Sony as far as any defects or any use of their warranties. I mean, is there something wrong with it?"

So, it goes on like this for a couple of minutes, he says no, there's nothing wrong. He just doesn't like it and wants his money back, and he should be able to, bla bla bla. Notice how I start off polite, and so does he, but the more I talk with the policy, the more he starts to become a jackass.

Dude: "That's bullshit, man, you should be able to return it for me. It's practically brand new!"
Me: "Practically, it might be, dude, but it's not. It's been opened, played, and the thing is freakin' finger-print-happy, no matter how much you clean it, your prints will show up. We won't be able to sell it as new!"
Dude: "Yes you can! Everyone wants one of these! Just sell it back!"
Me: "We can't, it's been used, it's used product. We can't sell a used product for new price. It doesn't work that way."
Dude: "Dude anyone will buy it!"
Me: "I'm sorry, that is the policy for a reason. The company has actually been sued for such actions long ago regarding a $50 game, and we've created a policy to avoid that problem, let alone for a $250 system."
Dude: "Man whatever that's bullshit!" *hang up*

Okay, waste of like 45 minutes on the phone there with the guy. Love it.

Fast forward about 4 hours, right about when my shift ends. A chick calls back. My third key answers, and it's about the PSP. Great, now we have a messenger that has no idea whats' going on in between. She bitches and complains about how it's bullcrap that we won't take it back, etc. etc., and my 3rd key just replies with practically the same things I said. At this point, I'm clocking out, and am waiting to get checked out, and I just see his eyes light up, quirk the phone away from his ear. I can literally hear this chick screaming into the phone, to the point where he sighs and says "I'm sorry m'am, this conversation is over. Thanks for calling." and hangs up.

He made me so proud.

Ooh ooh, here's another. Involves Final Fantasy XI for PC!

Kid and his father come in. BUSY as hell day, we've got lines backed up to the wall. Our store is usually top in trade-ins in the area, so when we get customer issues in the middle of these days, it hurts. He says he wants to return the game. I see it's a PC game, and our policy on PC games is that all sales are FINAL unless there is a defect with the game and you're within the 7 day exchange period. So, immediately I think, "well, this is going to suck, because I know this will understandably make him mad and I'm going to get some crap for it, but here we go..."

Me: "I'm sorry sir, we don't take returns on PC games. All I can do is exchange for another if there was something wrong. Especially with that game in particular; it's an online game, uses a pre-determined key that comes with that game only. There's no way I'd be able to take it back."
Dad: "No, but the thing is, I didn't know you needed a credit card to play this game, and my son (looked about 10ish), certainly doesn't have one, and I won't do it."
Me: "Well, you know, there are GameCards you can buy, and you can just use your Credit Card as a safety measure for the game company to charge you incase you want to continue playing past your allotted play time."
Kid butts in: "Yeah but I didn't even know that."
Me: "Well we do tell everyone who buys Online Only games that the game is online only, and if it's pay-to-play, we DEFINATELY mention it, at least we try to. Also, there's a lot of print on the box that tells you specifically what you need to play and how you'll be able to play." [note: how many of you had this problem with Half-Life 2?]
Dad: "But I didn't know I had to use my credit card, and there's no way I will do it. Can't you guys just return it?"

So I explain about the whole deal with PC games and why GameStop deals with them the way they do, especially with online games. "Games can be easily bought, burned, copied, piracy issues practically, and the game keys can be used up, then returned for full refund, and no offense, not saying that's what's happening here, but that's the policy that was created in order to stop that."

Thankfully, he listened to me, and didn't take offense. But, they kept pleading, pleading and pleading. To the point that my line was backing up and I finally broke and said, "Well, the best I can do then is give you store credit so you can at least leave with something else, but I can't give cash back. Do you guys have the receipt?"

Dad looks to his kid, "You have the receipt?" But by this time, as soon as the dreaded "R WORD" escaped my mouth, I saw his head jolt back kind of saying "D'OH" to himself, and he puts his head down and says "... no." The dad, now at least knowing he lost, sighs and says "You don't have the receipt?" "... no, I have no idea where it is either."

SCORE! What a lovely waste of time. For the father, too, I see. He's willing to fight, and I'm cool with that. It sucks on my part, but I believe it doesn't hurt to try especially if you don't turn into a jack ass about it. He would have won. But he lost, because his kid wasn't responsible to not only CHECK the box and know exactly what he was getting into, but for not keeping important paperwork. I loves it.

I have more but I think I'm rambling on now. I don't know if this is good to read or boring, so I'll go ahead and give the computer back Zingela.

[quote name='vietgurl']wow...that's a lot of money.

*goes and studies* threads like this make me more studious, hehe[/QUOTE]

Not once you get your degree from Cal, it ain't :)
I got's me one of those. What are you studying by the way? I was an EECS... Then went to U. of Arizona for Masters degree - school was much easier down there!

[quote name='DuelLadyS']A quick question for the game-store employees out there: I tend to ask this question alot, worded pretty much excactly like this:

"I'm sure you don't, but might you actually have a copy of Suikoden 2/Valkyrie Profile in the store?"

The no is always followed by "Didn't think so, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!"

This is only when I'm buying something else.

Is this a bad thing to be asking? I know it would be if I actually expected a copy and got mad when there wasn't, but is shot-in-the-dark curiousity annoying?[/QUOTE]

I actually saw a copy of Valkyrie Profile at my Gamerush a few weeks ago but I had no idea what it was (never had a PS1 - I jumped from Colecovision to Gamecube and didn't play console games between the ages of 15 and 35). By the time I figured it out (the name registered with me subconsciously because I must have seen it mentioned here). Of course it was gone when I went back. So, no, it is definitely not bad to ask!

[quote name='Scorch']Some of you guys are just impatient pricks that expect way too much out of uneducated consumers, most notably GizmoGC. No offense, but people like you justify the stereotype some people have against employees at game stores. I mean, look:

Does the average soccer mom, you know, the one with the money, know that they stopped making them? I doubt it, considering she could care less about gaming. Just do what everyone else does - keep your personal opinions regarding someone's knowledge to yourself, smile, and say no, it's not.

[/QUOTE]

I agree - though most of the stories, including GizmoGc's, I have found very entertaining. But, in addition to what Scorch mentions, there is a bit of disturbing trend about mentioning "fat ass" girls as though that in and of itself makes them or their boyfriends dumb gamers/customers and deserving of 'witty' insulting banter with your coworkers behind their backs. Wierd concept there, and that comes with the arrogance of youth I suppose...

And no, I'm neither a fatass nor a girl, so I'm not personally offended :)

The one exception of course is the one where the fat ass in question caused the collapse of the boxes - it is relevant in that case!

OK, just one more post (this really is a great thread)!

Bringing this back to the realm of levity - what I find really disturbing are the number of fecal matter stories you guys are all mentioning. Makes me NOT want to go to a mall/store/restaurant/out in public ever again! Some of those are just heinous! Bleah...

Though I will relate a similar story from the other side... I was shopping at a game store with my 5 year-old and he failed to me know that he *really* had to pee (I ask him constantly when we're out but he *never* admits to having to go - you just have to make them - that's your free parenting tip of the day). Finally he just let loose and it ran down his sweatpants and made a small puddle on the floor. I felt horrible (mostly for him) and just wiped it up with some napkins and scooped him up and out to the car.

Let's face it, the urine of a 5 year-old is like mana compared to the stink messes you guys described (particularly from adults - yuck). But then I have 3 kids and have had at least one in diapers for the last 8 years, so I'm used to that sort of thing - you guys are probably just as grossed out by that as anything else mentioned here!

Holy crap :)D), I just realized it is 3am (what is the deal with the time stamps on CAG by the way?) and I've wasted my prime work-at-home software engineering hours on CAG, mostly in this thread - will have to make those up tomorrow (see what a Cal degree can do for you Vietgurl!)

Wow, and i thought that the store i worked at was the only place that had to deal with this kind of BS. It's 5am right, but i'll have some good stories up tommorow.

I will gladly share a yarn or two. We have a particular customer who comes into the store on a weekly basis or so. He buys games brand new, and then comes back in and demands a new replacement case or manual cause his case got scuffed, or his manual had one small bent page or some other "flaw". You seen he causes these flaws and comes back in repeatedly to try to get them replaced. he is so anal about the condition of his collection games he does this all the time.... Here is the kicked the jackass comes back in a few days later and trades the SAME games back into the store. So much for his "collection" games. They catered to this fool time and time again and finally the order was brought down no more. No more time should be wasted when he is doing the damage in the 1st place. He even went as far as to try to get manuals for games he didnt get at EB at all.. Moron..

Story 2 consists of a VERY special customer by the name of Fernando.. Fernando works at a local hospital and thinks he is God's right gift to our Store. He comes in and lies through his teeth about his games and systems, who he knows in "corporate", what kind of PC he has (you guys know the type). So we get a call from him one day, he is irate. He bought a game that is less than a year old and for some reason his "New, modded, uber state of the art" PC wont run it. After being spoken to over the phone he comes in the store with a 386mhz PC in a tower that looks so old it isnt funny. He screams and yells and says we need to refund him and do what he says cause he is "Fernando!" He then advises he spoke to our GM and corperate as well and says he will call the police (where I am now employed ^^) and storms off. We get more calls from him, and finally get the GM who said " Who in the #$@ is Fernando??" Of course we couldnt help fernando, mainly cause he refused to believe anything we say. I dont know how mentally stable he is, but if i ever go to that hospital and see him I am walking my ass right out. he still calls occasionally.. Instead of talking to him, we foward him to one of my cell phone lines and listen to some real funny messages he leaves.

This last one of my fave, i caught two shoplifters from two stores in one fell swoop.

I walked into the store and went through somne games, I had the wife and daughter in tow (the little one was devastating the NES game bin they had, truth be told I think it has yet to fully recover) and I notice a white kid wearing a very thick windbreaker jacket (it was near 84 degrees outside) and a small black kid with him that also had a same type jacket, they were fairly focused on the clerk who was rather busy and was alone, so I watched them a moment. I had my "Police Dept" work cap on as well and just sat there. They went from rack to rack and one searched while the other just watched and stood in front of his friend long enough and then they moved and did it again. Classic shop lifter behavior but that wasnt enough. I talked to the clerk and watched them some more. After about 10 minutes nothing, I leave and they leave behind me. I go to another store and then come out and I notice them coming out of Publix (a grocery store), they have some limited edition strat guides in hand, and are stuffing them back in their jackets, I call the store via cell phone and ask the clerk of they bought anything, he said no. So i stopped them at which time the white kid tries to run, and gets nabbed ny his jacket. I tell them where I work and they begin to cry and come with me back to the store. We get them inside and I call units over. They stole a few guides, some GBA link cables, and then went into the Grocery store and stole drinks and fried chicken and chips! Little savages. They had a DS and an SP On em as well, but those were fron the store. The units show up, we embarrass the hell out of them, publix managers come over and we scare them so bad they ran out of the parking lot at top speed. They were 13 and 12.. Thats a damn shame, but it was fun watching them squirm and asking if they rode the short bus to school..

EVERY Fernando deserves special treatment, regardless of who it is. Fernando is the coolest name ever..

:rofl: They were ready to party, weren't they? Strategy guides, link cables, fried chicken, chips and drinks.. all they needed was a deck of cards, cigars, and a visor.

[quote name='Scorch']EVERY Fernando deserves special treatment, regardless of who it is. Fernando is the coolest name ever..

:rofl: They were ready to party, weren't they? Strategy guides, link cables, fried chicken, chips and drinks.. all they needed was a deck of cards, cigars, and a visor.[/QUOTE]

I'll remember to have Fernando-cito give U a holler next time ^^

As for the kids, yeah they were good to go. My daughter (4 years old) found it amusing as hell and asked if we were going to spank them in the store.

[quote name='Scorch']

I wouldn't ask it, i'd personally look. I found Suikoden 2 and Intelligent Qube. The former was not mint, the latter was extremely mint and complete, I snatched it.. then put it on hold for guessed, since I had no interest. The employee flipped out when he saw it and joked about taking it instead of putting it on hold. If you ask, there's a chance that if they DO have it in stock, they'll tell you no and get it for themselves.

[/QUOTE]

I do look around first, but some of my game stores unfortunately have a policy where used games over a certain price are kept behind the counter, so I never know for sure unless I ask. I'm sure I've been screwed by that policy before without knowing it. :cry:

Ok, some of these stories are 'meh'...

Two good ones - :

1 - 'The Magazine Guy' - Over 6 feet tall / ~250 pounds / this guy would come in once a week and read our magazines for hours at a time. He would just sit on the floor and read... never speak, never buy anything, just read... this went on for at least a year...

3 - 'The Video Card Guy' - ~30 year old guy comes in and starts complaining about a video card he bought a year earlier... starts off just complaining - seems like he is talking about a bad experience and just wants to talk to someone about it. Well, after 10 minutes he pulls the card out of his back pack and starts wanting to get a refund. The card is easily a year old - not even in inventory for 9 months... and he wants his money back. He said it messed up his system and then started demanding a refund. Another 10 minutes goes buy and IN CHARGES HIS -MOTHER-... demanding that I give her son a refund, wanting my name and employee number, and demanding to talk to my boss. I smiled and told them that yes it is a great idea - PLEASE CALL MY BOSS! They stuffed the card back into the backpack and charged out of the store.

[quote name='rallen']I have no idea? I was asking for help on this one![/QUOTE]

Awww, man... that's gonna drive me nuts until I know what game it was...

From what you guys are describing, working at gamestop and ebgames sounds like a miserable hell hole.

I personally work at kirklands (think a cheap pier 1), and the only problem I've had with customers is this one that would blow a kiss at me and edge closer.

Although, I don't know if that's necessarily a problem :eek:

[quote name='valor19']I read until there... then I realized you were an asian girl and my mind wandered. Ooohh...... :D[/QUOTE]

Cant you see her username? Shes a Red "VC"

[quote name='soulwish2003']Ok, some of these stories are 'meh'...

Two good ones - :

1 - 'The Magazine Guy' - Over 6 feet tall / ~250 pounds / this guy would come in once a week and read our magazines for hours at a time. He would just sit on the floor and read... never speak, never buy anything, just read... this went on for at least a year...

[/QUOTE]

Happened at my store too, with Strategy guides as well. I shrinkwrapped EVERYTHING. My guide/magazine sales went up 50% that month, lol.

Another one I forgot about, we have a special customer we will call Michael. Michael comes in at least 3 times a week, and calls almost every day. He believes that he is the manager's best friend when actually he is probably our most annoying customer and the biggest waste of time. He comes in asking about every gamecube game in the store.. and complaining about how nobody gives any love to the gamecube. This guy will ask about everything from resident evil 4 to disney sports football. And then never buy anything, after about an hour of keeping us from doing any work.

One night after incessently asking us for discounts and free stuff "because he's such a good customer" and we gave him a guides that had been cleared out of the system just so he'd go away. 15 min later as we're closing out, he calls and asks me that we have to tell K-Mart that we sell NBA Live 2005 for $14.99 so he can do a pricematch.. Because he's such a good friend.. RIGHT. btw, the retail for nba live at the time was $39.99 or something.

Here is another...

3 - The 'renter' - This guy Jim would come in every week and return/purchase a game. A week later he would come in and return that one game and buy another. Jim did this for at least a year when he hit a manager that was not in a good mood and told him that Blockbuster was right down the street - he could rent at that store. He never returned...

This happened a few years ago when EB allowed returns on open games.

[quote name='danny-o']Cant you see her username? Shes a Red "VC"[/QUOTE]

don't know if that's supposed to be funny...

cause it's not

I second that. It's the only way to keep sane when I was working EB/Gamestop.

-I had a guy come in once asking if HD Loader came with the FFXI Harddrive.

-Over the holidays we were sold out of PSTwos, yet we had a FFXI Harddrive in stock and about 5 people demanded to buy it since it was a "PSTwo" and I was wrong that it was a game and not a system.

[quote name='vietgurl']don't know if that's supposed to be funny...

cause it's not[/QUOTE]

don't mind him. he's the racist bastard who posted the links to the white power message board and the "white boy on a rampage" game. :roll: such a sad individual....

his avatar says it all.

I worked at Gamestop for about two years and my favorite customer moment was when a mom came in with her young son. The only people in the store were me, my assistant manager (who didn’t care about anything) and these two people. The mom was real pissy at first and my manager and I just looked at each other. She was swearing at the kid who looked to be about nine years old. I know this sounds fake, but I swear to God it happened and that is why it is so memorable.

After awhile of the kid getting verbally lashed she finally says, “FINE I’LL JUST ASK THEM! Do you have burnout 2 for xbox? I just need the disk, I’ve got everything else”

She then proceeded to tell us why she needed it…

”That little dumbass bastard over there got the disk stuck on his finger and we had to break it off. ISN’T THAT RIGHT YOU LITTLE MORON!? God kids are so stupid. He is like a drunken midget just wandering around fucking things up. THIS IS COMING OUT OF YOUR ALLOWANCE YOU LITTLE SHIT, DON’T YOU THINK I’M GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR STUPIDITY! He is the dumbest kid alive, I’m not even kidding, don’t ever have kids, worst mistake of my life.”

At this point we are stunned and just sell her the game. She walks out while the kid is still looking around, and starts the car (we were in a shopping center). She then opened the window and screamed, with our store door still closed, “I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL LEAVE YOU HERE. I WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU ANYWAY!”

He then ran out crying. While my manager just stood there staring at each other.

anyone else ever notice that all the annoying customers seem to come in on the same day? the following all happened last sunday:

- kid, roughly 10, comes in with his mom, shops around for a while, then brings an 'm' rated game up to the counter (syphon filter: omega strain, which he keeps calling 'sniper filter'. i tell his mother that it's mature, and show her why on the back. the kid then defends his choice by saying that he had played previous games in the series, and that psone games did not carry ESRB ratings - and he argues with me and his mother about it for the next ten minutes.

- a couple of hours later, some kid and his friend come in and start browsing through the games, asking fairly understandable questions as they go. then on the way out, one of them asks me if i can play gamecube games on my xbox. somewhat confused, i tell him that it can't be done. he then proceeds to tell me about a friend of his who has an xbox that can play discs from all three systems. i tell him it cannot be done, and even explain why not. i try to catch him in his stupid lie by asking if he's seen it and played it. "yes", he responds, and all i can do is forfeit this lame argument.

- a lady comes in with her kids, who browse the store for a bit. then they all walk up to the counter, and she asks me what GTA will be like for the psp, since we have display boxes up for it. i do my best to give her a rough idea of what it will be and say it's just speculation as they haven't shown anything on the game yet. she then asks if we have it, and i reply that it's slated for july. "but toys r us has it right now, i saw it in their store and on the website, it says it will ship in 4-6 days". i try to explain that she must have seen a similar display box, and that they hadn't shown so much as a screenshot nevermind released it. but she's not having it, and holds steadfast that she's seen it and that i don't know what i'm talking about. argh.

sorry if those weren't particularly hilarious or unique, i just had to vent a bit about annoying customers who assume you're an idiot and believe they know more about games than you do. i for one wouldn't go into a sunglasses store and start arguing with the clerk that he was wrong about sunglasses. i'll post some more funny ones later.

[quote name='Chaotic Climax']I worked at Gamestop for about two years and my favorite customer moment was when a mom came in with her young son. The only people in the store were me, my assistant manager (who didn’t care about anything) and these two people. The mom was real pissy at first and my manager and I just looked at each other. She was swearing at the kid who looked to be about nine years old. I know this sounds fake, but I swear to God it happened and that is why it is so memorable.

After awhile of the kid getting verbally lashed she finally says, “FINE I’LL JUST ASK THEM! Do you have burnout 2 for xbox? I just need the disk, I’ve got everything else”

She then proceeded to tell us why she needed it…

”That little dumbass bastard over there got the disk stuck on his finger and we had to break it off. ISN’T THAT RIGHT YOU LITTLE MORON!? God kids are so stupid. He is like a drunken midget just wandering around fucking things up. THIS IS COMING OUT OF YOUR ALLOWANCE YOU LITTLE SHIT, DON’T YOU THINK I’M GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR STUPIDITY! He is the dumbest kid alive, I’m not even kidding, don’t ever have kids, worst mistake of my life.”

At this point we are stunned and just sell her the game. She walks out while the kid is still looking around, and starts the car (we were in a shopping center). She then opened the window and screamed, with our store door still closed, “I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL LEAVE YOU HERE. I WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU ANYWAY!”

He then ran out crying. While my manager just stood there staring at each other.[/QUOTE]

Wow. There's this one 12 year old kid who comes in a lot (he's kinda annoying...the kind that keeps coming back in to buy games, tries to pay for a $40 game with a $5 bill cuz he doesn't know the difference)...who have pretty messed up parents kinda like you mentioned above. One time his dad came in and proceeded to yell at him, threatening to throw him out and beat the living sh*t out of him if he doesn't leave the store and go home; my manager looked at the father and said that if he ever spoke to his son like that again in this store, my manager was going to call CPS.

Hehehe. When I worked for CS, we had a customer who was trying to order online:

Customer: "It won't let me order."
Agent: "Are you using a credit card to place your order?"
Customer: "Yes."
Agent: *skeptical* "What does it say in the bottom right corner of your card?"
Customer: "C-I-T-G-O."

I also had a customer honestly ask:

Customer: "You know the game EverQuest?"
Me: "Yes."
Customer: "How do they get all the people in the computer?"

[quote name='vietgurl']Wow. There's this one 12 year old kid who comes in a lot (he's kinda annoying...the kind that keeps coming back in to buy games, tries to pay for a $40 game with a $5 bill cuz he doesn't know the difference)...who have pretty messed up parents kinda like you mentioned above. One time his dad came in and proceeded to yell at him, threatening to throw him out and beat the living sh*t out of him if he doesn't leave the store and go home; my manager looked at the father and said that if he ever spoke to his son like that again in this store, my manager was going to call CPS.[/QUOTE]

call CPS! youll be doing the kid a favor, i hate parents that come in like that

to stay on topic, yesterday i had a guy come in and bring traded in pokemon fire red and brought up a GBA video box for pokemon, i explained that its not a game just two episodes of the pokemone cartoon, i dont think he believed me and he looked really puzzled... hes a good guy, a regular, just a little slow somtimes

christmas time is the best for funny stories because you get a lot of people who dont shop at gamestores often, but to put them in a positive light, my favorite ones are the parents or grandparents who dont ask silly question but just put a list on the counter and say "this is what i need" and i say "here you go thatll be 146.57" nice and simple, nobody looks dumb

I had a customer get mad at me and my coworkers for not telling her that a PS2 game will not work in her DVD player. The back of the box clearly has a DVD symbol meaning it must work on DVD players.

I just walked away and let my manager handle it, and I went on break and laughed.

Not a funny story, but at my store which I worked at for 2 years, I accumlated numerous 'broken' PS2s (atleast 30), couple of Top loading NES, Nomad, TG16, Neo Geo Home System, Lynx, Atari, etc. It was great. Usually, the customer would just give them to me, or Id give them $5-10. Ahh,good times.

Read Post Office by Bukoswki, trust me.

I've worked in retail (farmer's market) and I only sold one product so I get the same exact quetion over and over!!

Imagine working in a music (instrument not CD) store and hearing Heart and soul over and over, thats what my cousin said happens

[quote name='iheartmetal']call CPS! youll be doing the kid a favor, i hate parents that come in like that

to stay on topic, yesterday i had a guy come in and bring traded in pokemon fire red and brought up a GBA video box for pokemon, i explained that its not a game just two episodes of the pokemone cartoon, i dont think he believed me and he looked really puzzled... hes a good guy, a regular, just a little slow somtimes

christmas time is the best for funny stories because you get a lot of people who dont shop at gamestores often, but to put them in a positive light, my favorite ones are the parents or grandparents who dont ask silly question but just put a list on the counter and say "this is what i need" and i say "here you go thatll be 146.57" nice and simple, nobody looks dumb[/QUOTE]

I saw a man hit his kid and the dad was smaller than me so I took my chances and got in his face and hit him.

[quote name='rallen']I was inside Eb the other day, and a clueless dad walks in.

"Hi, do you have Hitback Rider?"

The clerk looked confused, the dad repeated it, and the clerk just said now, with a little smile.

What game could he be talking about? It must sound like another game, for example Piano Three=P.N. 03.[/QUOTE]

Dunno, when a board full of gamers can't figure it out..

Hitback Rider:
Hitman: Silent Assassin?
Winback?
Hipgear Wireless?

We may never know..

Welp, I've been reading this thread since this morning (before going to class), so I guess it's about time I add my own somewhat amusing stories.

About 2 years ago during the summer, I worked at a McDonalds, a job that was forced on me because a relative knew the manager. She asked me if I wanted a job, I said I'll think about it. A couple of days later I got a call saying that I have to go in and fill out an application. I guess she didn't know the meaning of "I'll think about it." Anyways back to the story. A couple of 13 - 14 year old girls came in one day:

Girl: Hi, we would like to order 2 cheeseburgers.
Me: Ok
Girl: Can we have that without the ketchup?
Me: Sure
Girl: Also without the onions, mustard, pickles?
Girl: Without the meat too please.
Me: .... *Weird look*
Girl: Yeah we would just like the bun with cheese please, like a grill cheese.
Me: Uh, ok.

On the flip side, a lady came in every couple of days or so and orders a double cheeseburger without the bun. Which is a bit more understandable than a bun with cheese.

Anybody deal with the ESRB rating policy lately?

I love how parents get pissed because we won't sell their little 12 year old tyke GTA or Halo 2. Mostly it's just because they had to park their car, and put money in the meter.

I reemember a week before Halo 2...these 2 guys come in, and they think they can talk me into giving them a copy of Halo 2 early. HA! They tried everything in the book: "Come on, no one will find out", "You won't get fired" "Yea, but I bet you took yours home already" At one point they even offered me $100 dollars. After about ten "Nos" they finially left.

[quote name='dp84']Welp, I've been reading this thread since this morning (before going to class), so I guess it's about time I add my own somewhat amusing stories.

About 2 years ago during the summer, I worked at a McDonalds, a job that was forced on me because a relative knew the manager. She asked me if I wanted a job, I said I'll think about it. A couple of days later I got a call saying that I have to go in and fill out an application. I guess she didn't know the meaning of "I'll think about it." Anyways back to the story. A couple of 13 - 14 year old girls came in one day:

Girl: Hi, we would like to order 2 cheeseburgers.
Me: Ok
Girl: Can we have that without the ketchup?
Girl: Also without the onions, mustard, pickles?
Girl: Without the meat too please.
Me: .... *Weird look*
Girl: Yeah we would just like the bun with cheese please, like a grill cheese.
Me: Uh, ok.

On the flip side, a lady came in every couple of days or so and orders a double cheeseburger without the bun. Which is a bit more understandable than a bun with cheese.[/QUOTE]

Uh, dude, I get these ALL THE TIME for my kids. We are vegetarian but the kids love to go to McDonalds, play in the play area, get ice cream, and get the happy meal toys - so I'm always ordering cheeseburger happy meals with no meat. What sucks is that I have to pay the higher cheeseburger meal price! And believe me, you have to ask very clearly like these girls did - about half the time the meat comes on it anyway - or if not that, then the mustard or onions (which I love but the kids hate) :). Now I suppose it is a bit strange for teenage girls to do that - they ought to just go somewhere better :D.

[quote name='dp84']On the flip side, a lady came in every couple of days or so and orders a double cheeseburger without the bun. Which is a bit more understandable than a bun with cheese.[/QUOTE]

I've had stuff like that happen when I worked at a McDonalds that was next to a Arbys. One of the funniest things that happened when I worked there was a customer going through the drive-thru and try to order a roast beef sandwich. Which I had to tell him we don't serve roast beef here and to try Arbys next door. Apparently that's where he thought he was all the time and just pulled into the wrong drive-thru. We would get one of those about every two weeks and would make whoever was taking the order laugh.

[quote name='Scahom1']Anybody deal with the ESRB rating policy lately?

I love how parents get pissed because we won't sell their little 12 year old tyke GTA or Halo 2. Mostly it's just because they had to park their car, and put money in the meter.

I reemember a week before Halo 2...these 2 guys come in, and they think they can talk me into giving them a copy of Halo 2 early. HA! They tried everything in the book: "Come on, no one will find out", "You won't get fired" "Yea, but I bet you took yours home already" At one point they even offered me $100 dollars. After about ten "Nos" they finially left.[/QUOTE]

i would say that 97 times out of 100 the parents are really happy when i ask them if its ok if their kids play these games, and then explain that the rating is told in detail on the back... little kids get mad, but most of the time the parents are happy... in fact id say all the time, i cant think of one time a parent got mad for selling their kid GTA, but i know for a fact other people have gotten chewed out because their kids play, or bought, the game without their parents permission... in fact i love it when a mom and a little kid come in...

little jimmy: can i get GTA?
me: sure, now mom you know this game is rated M for graphic violence, strong language, and sexual content?
mom: no i didnt know that, sorry little jimmy you cant get that game
litte jimmy: BUT MOM, little timmy has that game and i play it over there all the time
mom: well i guess youre not going to little timmys house anymore
me: *as the kid is furious and they leave the store* thanks have a nice day

that scenario has happened more than once, its funny every time, although i feel bad when like a 16 year old get kids the shaft from his mom because you know hes old enough, oh well

Aha! Just thought of another.

You know you gotta blow into NES/SNES/Genesis etc carts to get them to work sometimes? Well I had this guy looking to buy Paperboy on Game Boy. It was obliviously cart only and he wanted to know if it worked or not. So I grab a SP and stick it in...and it freezes on the Game Boy screen. So I take it out, and blow on it, put it back in, and sure enough, it works like a charm. Apparently this freaked the guy out pretty badly, cause he gave me a very strange look, and told me to forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back