Employees of ALL stores - Stories about 'special' customers! (Now with KAYDEN Power!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to give props to all the posters who posted their own story. I generally love these types of threads and this one did not disappoint.

So we've switched over to mom stories?

I was in EB once just browsing around (after I had been let go, since I was just temp. holiday help.. couldn't have brothers working in the same store :/) and this huge woman walked up with her kid and sat the Playboy game on the counter.. and the employee at the time, we'll call him Joe, basically gave the "this game is rated M for language and also has nudity and sexual situations".. and she was getting it for her 8 or 9 year old.. and I kid you not, that mom gave the employee the dumbest look ever and said "I know" and paid for it and left.

Another kid came in with his mom and traded in NFSU2, GTA:SA, MGS3, and some other new release game.. may have been MK: Deception.. anyways.. traded in all four of those.. and got The Getaway: Black Monday with the credit.. d'oooooooooooooooh. I was laughing so hard on the inside that I had to txt message guessed the story.. the pain of this kid's "deal" could be felt 30 miles away..

[quote name='guessed']I know probably 98% of you or more are already familiar with the Gord, but just in case:

www.actsofgord.com[/QUOTE]

I've never seen that site before. It's awesome. Thanks for posting.

Kudos to all the other posters out there too, this thread is hilarious.

[quote name='defiance_17']If you've never worked a shit job with the public, you have no idea how a good customer should behave. Which is essentially "buy things and leave me alone as much as is humanly possible." ;)
Seriously, the people who are assholes in stores/restaurants have no idea what it's like to be on the other end. I would never be a dick to anyone who was serving me anywhere...unless you work at Best Buy. :evil:[/QUOTE]

Ok, I really take offense to this post. I don't know what it is with all of your Best Buys, but everyone who works at the one I work at is very knowledgeable about games. If we don't know something, we try to find out, and if we can't, we flat out tell you we don't know. I really don't appreciate it when someone decides that it is ok to be an ass to a person just because they don't like the company. I personally hate Walmart, but you would NEVER catch me being a dick to a mom who is working her second job so that she can afford to send her kids to college.

Edit: Luckily I haven't had TOO many bad customers. We have one weird guy who comes in about once per month on Saturday nights. This happened about two months ago. He looks about 55 and kind of scruffy looking. Anyway, I had been back in the Media department for about a month, and was zoned in DVD's. I'm making my rounds, asking if everyone can find everything ok, everything is peachy. I walk over and ask the guy, who we shall call "Dwayne" if he is finding everything ok. First of all, I'm a wrestling fan, not a huge wrestling fan, but i'll watch it every now and then. He pulls out a copy of the WWF (note - not WWE) and points out 3 different DVD's he wanted. Well, they were PPV's from about 3 years ago. I ask to see the magazine and he hands it to me. I look at it and show him the new versions (from within a year or so) and he says he doesn't want those. I say ok, and ask him if there is anything else I can help him find. He looks at me, does the People's Eyebrow, puts his arm out and starts doing the "Bring it" thing and says...in a slow promo type voice..."The Rock." He points out the Rock DVD, which was like the first wrestler specific DVD, and I tell him we don't have it. I know he is probably a bit slow, but I still felt like sharing. I didn't laugh, and in reality, I really kind of felt bad for the guy. I didn't go like "Sir, this magazine is about three years old, you will be hard pressed to find these." I did help him pick out a couple of DVD's though. He ended up with the very nice two disc Ric Flair collection, and the Mick Foley collection. I just felt like sharing because it was memorable to me.

My addition to this topic is as follows.
I was sitting there at the front desk and a kid walks in with his mom and grabs need for speed hot pursuit 2 and GTA: VC. The mom is oblivious to the rating system and asks which of these games would be suitable for her 10 year old son. I say "well, NFS: HP2 is a racing game, and its rated E for everyone..." She then yells, "you can run from cops!!! I don't want my child playing that game!!!" She then asks what about GTA: VC, and i say "its rated M for mature b/c you steal cars and shoot people with guns..." She's then lectures me on how her son would never get a hold of a gun and start shooting people and how they don't even own guns. I'm completely confused by her and say "so he has a better chance of driving your car?" She then loses it and bitches me out, and says she wants to buy GTA: VC, right before i ring it up, i say "You know in this game you can pick up hookers right?" She all out loses it again, and tells her son to pick up another game. His mom goes next door while he is choosing i hear him say, "I try to get games every time I come here and all I ever get are sport games..." He chooses MVP 2004 and his mom comes back and looks at the game and agrees to buy it. As I'm ringing it up i say "You know that people can break bones in this game and throw baseballs at people's heads right?" "She then gives me a look and I can't help myself and say, "You know I'm pretty sure your son has a baseball around the house..." She then asks to speak to my manager and I was fired the next day...

[quote name='uuaww']She then gives me a look and I can't help myself and say, "You know I'm pretty sure your son has a baseball around the house..." She then asks to speak to my manager and I was fired the next day...[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='uuaww']As I'm ringing it up i say "You know that people can break bones in this game and throw baseballs at people's heads right?" "She then gives me a look and I can't help myself and say, "You know I'm pretty sure your son has a baseball around the house..." She then asks to speak to my manager and I was fired the next day...[/QUOTE]
LMAO

[quote name='uuaww']"You know that people can break bones in this game and throw baseballs at people's heads right?" "She then gives me a look and I can't help myself and say, "You know I'm pretty sure your son has a baseball around the house..." She then asks to speak to my manager and I was fired the next day...[/QUOTE]

omg someone aactually got fired. ROFL

[quote name='io']Uh, dude, I get these ALL THE TIME for my kids. We are vegetarian but the kids love to go to McDonalds, play in the play area, get ice cream, and get the happy meal toys - so I'm always ordering cheeseburger happy meals with no meat. What sucks is that I have to pay the higher cheeseburger meal price! And believe me, you have to ask very clearly like these girls did - about half the time the meat comes on it anyway - or if not that, then the mustard or onions (which I love but the kids hate) :). Now I suppose it is a bit strange for teenage girls to do that - they ought to just go somewhere better :D.[/QUOTE]

When I worked at McDonalds, I used to do this too, just for something new. The funny thing is that it tasted just like the regular cheeseburger, which would say alot about how wimpy the meat is at Mcdonalds.

I had a customer demand that all her food be made with fresh lettuce... and it had to be nice and green. To make sure she got the most lettuce for her buck, she ordered everything with lettuce.

When I worked at Barnes and Noble, I would get lectured on a regular basis on how nobody smart would buy a membership card for 25 bucks just to save 3 on an order. On a couple of occasions, I was blamed for playing corporate america's game. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to get that I was only making 6.75 to play the game.

Ooh... and a gay guy would come in and ask about gay and lesbian books, and when guys would take him to the section, he would keep them there and discuss the selection with them. Then he would yell at the manager when they ran away.

[quote name='supermariomelee']I've had stuff like that happen when I worked at a McDonalds that was next to a Arbys. One of the funniest things that happened when I worked there was a customer going through the drive-thru and try to order a roast beef sandwich. Which I had to tell him we don't serve roast beef here and to try Arbys next door. Apparently that's where he thought he was all the time and just pulled into the wrong drive-thru. We would get one of those about every two weeks and would make whoever was taking the order laugh.[/QUOTE]

So:

Employees notice customers get in the wrong drive-through lane often enough that it's not a rare occurence. Employees decide it's better to laugh at customers than to try to see what causes them to be confused and try to fix it.

It seems to me that the employees are not acting in the best interests of their employers, and they're not really nice people either.

[quote name='eldad9']So:

Employees notice customers get in the wrong drive-through lane often enough that it's not a rare occurence. Employees decide it's better to laugh at customers than to try to see what causes them to be confused and try to fix it.

It seems to me that the employees are not acting in the best interests of their employers, and they're not really nice people either.[/QUOTE]

this has already been addressed... and rather enolquently...

[quote name='defiance_17']
Worker: "Sir, I'm paid an hourly wage to prepare food. Corporate decisions of that nature are beyond my jurisdiction."

That ended the conversation instantly, mostly because the customer would whisper, "Jurisdiction? What the hell does that mean?" under his breath. The inconspicuous smartass is your greatest ally in a bottom-rung job.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iheartmetal']christmas time is the best for funny stories because you get a lot of people who dont shop at gamestores often, but to put them in a positive light, my favorite ones are the parents or grandparents who dont ask silly question but just put a list on the counter and say "this is what i need" and i say "here you go thatll be 146.57" nice and simple, nobody looks dumb[/QUOTE]

I think this is the sign of a SMART parent shopping for their kid. If you have no clue, just be honest about it.

oh man, i just remembered this one time a little kid came in and he bought a couple of games, NFS:U when it was expensive and something else... anyway, he comes back like an hour later and his games were stolen while he was at the arcade, so we call security they file a report and everything, i felt really bad for the kid he looked like he was gonna cry and it seemed like he just lost a bunch of birthday money or something, he was like 10... one week later a kid, maybe about 14 or 15, comes in WITH HIS MOM and tries to return the games that were stolen with the reciept and everything (i knew it was the same ones because i sold them and we had the receipt number and all that written down) so i tell the kid, yeah hold on 1 sec, make the call and in a few minutes security and the police are there. the kid tried to deny it first, i mean his mom was with him, but as the cop questions him he story starts to crumble and it was pretty obvious that him and his cousin took the game, the mom had no idea i think she was rather shocked. anyway, i dont know if the kid ever got prosecuted or anything because eventually they left the store, but man that was good times, i mean what kind of kid returns games they stole?!

[quote name='eldad9']So:

It seems to me that the employees are not acting in the best interests of their employers, and they're not really nice people either.[/QUOTE]

AGAIN, this thread is discussion our stories and such. What goes on 'behind the scenes' and in our head. We hear enough how much our store sucks here every day in a new thread, this one is for US!

[quote name='iheartmetal']oh man, i just remembered this one time a little kid came in and he bought a couple of games, NFS:U when it was expensive and something else... anyway, he comes back like an hour later and his games were stolen while he was at the arcade, so we call security they file a report and everything, i felt really bad for the kid he looked like he was gonna cry and it seemed like he just lost a bunch of birthday money or something, he was like 10... one week later a kid, maybe about 14 or 15, comes in WITH HIS MOM and tries to return the games that were stolen with the reciept and everything (i knew it was the same ones because i sold them and we had the receipt number and all that written down) so i tell the kid, yeah hold on 1 sec, make the call and in a few minutes security and the police are there. the kid tried to deny it first, i mean his mom was with him, but as the cop questions him he story starts to crumble and it was pretty obvious that him and his cousin took the game, the mom had no idea i think she was rather shocked. anyway, i dont know if the kid ever got prosecuted or anything because eventually they left the store, but man that was good times, i mean what kind of kid returns games they stole?![/QUOTE]

Glad to see they got the badguys!

I remember the time when the Tamagachi craze was dieing down and EB had all of these knockoffs just lying about never to be sold. We pondered on how to combat the infestation. At that moment, I happen to glance over to the Preown 16-Bit section and notice we have a 'Virtual Bat' on clearance for $2. Hmm... Bat..+..Cheap Tamagachi knockoff= TAMAGACHI BASEBALL!!! I cracked one off the bat so hard that it got logged in the 'security' bubble. Ended up having to rotate it twords the wall so the manager didn;t notice :D

Needless to say, we sent plenty of defects back to warehouse, never to be restocked again ;)

Haha, this thread makes me want to quit CC and go to EB haha... fucken customers.

At CC I had this one guy ask for a super mario DS, it is in a glass case... so I open it and hand it to him.. then I tell him , it will be at the register.... and he says "im not gonna steal it" and I say " i didnt say you were " ,.... and then he bitches about a promo item "is this free" .. "yeah when you buy a specific CD" .... "which one?" .... "any in the AD" ..... "wheres the ad?" ... "at the front" ... "well go get it" ..... And I was like "no." .... and he said "Dont laugh homie... " tryin to act tough.... I was like WTF? haha, tryin not to laugh.

I was working the game section at a retailer a few years ago and I saw a guy standing in front of the XBOX case.So I went over and asked if he needed help.He said he wanted a new game and we started discussing what kind of games he likes.He tells me he loves the games where "you are the camera" so say first person shooters.He states "yeah whatever that is.'He also says he hates RPGs so I recommend HALO.

He says "HELL NO!I said I hate RPGs"........I said dude HALO isnt anything like an RPG in the least.He responds with "I rented it and it is a crappy FPS with RPG elements".............

I then proceeded to walk away slowly.

You know, after leaving Gamestop I find it hard to remember most of my stories simply because I've mentally blocked them. However:

1. Right when Mafia came out we had this stupid looking fool come in and trade a disc only copy of it in. Well, the next day he traded in another disc only copy. The next day another, and so on for 6 day. My incompetent manager finally got the hint and denied his 7th attempt to which, in protest, he shouted"Man, I be getting these straight illegitimate!" So I say , without looking up from doing my DBC, "Well, there you go. Case closed." He looks confused and leaves in a huff. Come to find out, he was renting them from a local videostore and trading them in.

2. We had this guy buy a disc only copy of syphon filter for 3.99. It was defective, so he sent his wife to return it. However, his wife said she wanted to TRADE it in, and left in a huff after we told her we could only give hr a dollar. Well, the guy calls up an hour later threatening to get a lawyer (for a 3.99 game, no less) and the police involved and wanting to know my name so he can come down and kick my ass etc, despite the fact that I explained to him how his dumbass wife said TRADE not RETURN and didn't mention it being defective. Well, the guy shows up the next day. He comes in (real scrawny whitetrash type, about 5'6" 150lb and all bones) trying tolook like a hardass, but when he sees me (6'4" about 224 lbs and a bit stronger than I used to be if I do say so myself) he wipes the look off and ambles on over. "Hi, hey, I bought this game (produces the syphon Filter) and I really like it, but, you know, it doesn't work. Can I get another one?" To which I reply "Sure, that is our policy" and I give him another one. He thanks me and leaves, and as I look in the window I see him apparently still acting hard to his wife. No doubt telling her how he laid down the law.

3. One guy, as I was putting out game cases, came over and whispered "Hey man, you need that DOA Volleyball. You can make them naked!" He then went back to looking at Xbox games. He was about 25.

4.Not a story about customers, but my manager used to leave me in charge of the store so he could smoke weed. Including the launch day of Madden 2005 with 80 lined up madden fans who were pissed because the shipment was late. What a fucking bastard. At least he got fired.

5. There was this little fat kid of about 12 with bleach-blonde hair who used to come in all the time. This little son of a bitch was mind-blowingly rude for his age. He would come in, slap the counter and say "Uhhh, excussse me? Can I get some service here?" Or he would request a game price, and when I told him how much and asked him if he liked one, he would say "Uhhh, no, you're going to let me look at it first." The thing was, he had his grandpa with him, and the old fucker would just stand there and smile like his grandson was the greatest thing in the world. He smiled right up until I lost itand told the kid that if he didn't ask politely I was going to dropkick him out the front window. I didn't get in trouble because, despite the incomptence of the manager, he hated the kid too.

6. We had one stupid little white-ghetto bitch come in looking at SNES games. She saw a Super Mario World we had tagged at 4.99, and brought it up and asked "Why does this tag say $3.99 (Points to the old, worn out, faded tag of a video rental store that went out of business 4 years prior) and this one (points to relatively new gamestop price label) say 4.99?!" I explain to her that the 4.99 was the correct price, and she rudely exclaims "But I want it for 3.99!" To which I simply reply "Too bad." She gets mad and goes back to looking at games. I don't get in trouble. Incompetence has its advantages.

I have some more, and if I can unblock the memories, I'll post them.

[quote name='tauruskatt']?), Nintendo Dual Shock system, Nintendo two-time system :)shock: )
~Tom Hanks Underground 2 ("You mean Tony Hawk's Underground 2?" "No, Tom Hanks Underground 2!" ~ this woman refused to believe us and went to one of our other stores demanding the same title, then got mad again and said she was going to EB for it...never returned...we tried to call them but they have caller id so they never pick up ;) )
~[/QUOTE]

Do you get to skate on the moon in that game? Hahahahaha.

OKAY, I've thought of some more, one is a funny and the other is a pretty good example of how I almost Never get bitched at/yelled at/asked to see my manager at work:

(i'll give the good example one first)

So~ I'm at another store for the day helping out another manager in our district, the night before Splinter Cell: CT comes in. This guy comes in and immediately huffs and puffs while I finish waiting on another customer (a whole 30 seconds). Then he tells me he's there to pick up his Splinter Cell Collectors edition, because he knows that when it's a collectors edition it comes in a day or two earlier (oh really, it does???). I tell him that I'm sorry but it's not going to be in until the next day. Then he says he was 'pretty sure' it was that store he reserved it at, but if he were somewhere else the next day could he pick it up at a different store. I tell him that he should pick it up at the store he reserved it at, since the LE is going to be very hard to come by and each store is only gaurenteed their reserved copies. but (sensing something special needed to be done for this guy) I could double check his credit for him and make sure his cell number was in there and the store would give him a call when it comes in. He agrees to this, but is still somehow angry that the game's not in and he can't play it that night. I find his credit, but here's the kicker~ the GA who had rung up his reserve had rung it up as the regular edition, and handwritten in "collector's"...clearly not everyone at this store had realized that at one point our LE versions were cut off because we had already sold out of GS's allotment (hey, something to look forward to ending post GS-EB merger, ah the buying power of a wal-mart, thank god). Um, right. SO, I start to explain the error and he cuts me off yelling about not wanting the regular edition and give him someone else's if that's what it takes and wanting all the numbers to Cooperate...I'm like, whoah there buddy. Calm down and we'll figure this out. I hand him my DM's number and call her while he's standing there freaking out on me (ooh, dual purpose) but no answer. I leave a message for her and he decides he wants his money back. While I'm (fairly slowly, mind you) ringing up his refund I explain the allotment thing. Then we start talking Xbox live becasue I mentioned it as a reason why the game is so hot. He calms down like 180 degrees and compliments me on knowing my stuff (heh. Sucess.). I ask him one last time before I ring it through if he's sure he wants the refund now, since the credit isn't going to expire and will guarentee him at least the regular edition for 48 hours. He says, yeah, that's fine. Then my DM calls back, and after breifly explaining the situation she says she'll bring one from another store that has a non-reserved LE up for him. Huzzah. Guy who was at one point trying to get one of their GA's asses fired leaves totally happy and impressed, and even reserved Madden from me, now I see him at my store every once in awhile, although we don't mention it. =P

One of the lessons to be learned about working in a gamestore in the mall is definately to take off the badge before going on break. I always forgot this and constantly was being asked questions about what we had in stock or what was coming out while in the line at burger king. The weirdest by far is when one of my coworkers (a guy) went to the bathroom and was...I kid you not...Peeing...when the guy in the urinal next to him leans over and goes..."hey...when's that GTA comin' out?"

~

[quote name='MrMaddness']Do you get to skate on the moon in that game? Hahahahaha.[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah, I think you have to escape from an Island. And it's Co-op too, 2P is a volleyball.

Great stories. Sorry to ruin the game retail groove that was going, but here's another McDonalds story I have.

So like I said, I worked at McDonalds for the summer. The manager pretty much assigned me full time hours, 8 am - 4 pm 5 days a week. I worked during the breakfast hours, which mainly consisted of regulars that are retired. I noticed everyday, a korean man about in his 70s or so, comes in and only orders a small coffee and sometimes reads the paper. One time, I was on my breakfast/lunch break. The korean guy sees me carrying my food and motions to sit with him. So I was thinking that he's an old man that needs some company, so I sat down at his table thinking that I can a quick chit chat while eating my breakfast, maybe learn something. So he asks the usual things that a senior would ask a teen, "How old are you?", "What grade are you in?" so n so. I replied to his questions. Then all of a sudden he asks,"What religion are you?" Bam! Totally set off an alarm. I started to eat faster, but I replied "Buddhist" (I'm Thai, and Thais are mainly buddhist). The old man just says "Ah I see... buddhism isn't a real religion, but christianity is..." I thought "shit." The old guy then went on to say that something about Buddha is a real person and can not make a religion, while Christ is the son of God. Also that buddhism is a philosophy and not a religion. By that time I choked down all the food, got up, said I have to go back to work, and left.

[quote name='dp84']Great stories. Sorry to ruin the game retail groove that was going, but here's another McDonalds story I have.

So like I said, I worked at McDonalds for the summer. The manager pretty much assigned me full time hours, 8 am - 4 pm 5 days a week. I worked during the breakfast hours, which mainly consisted of regulars that are retired. I noticed everyday, a korean man about in his 70s or so, comes in and only orders a small coffee and sometimes reads the paper. One time, I was on my breakfast/lunch break. The korean guy sees me carrying my food and motions to sit with him. So I was thinking that he's an old man that needs some company, so I sat down at his table thinking that I can a quick chit chat while eating my breakfast, maybe learn something. So he asks the usual things that a senior would ask a teen, "How old are you?", "What grade are you in?" so n so. I replied to his questions. Then all of a sudden he asks,"What religion are you?" Bam! Totally set off an alarm. I started to eat faster, but I replied "Buddhist" (I'm Thai, and Thais are mainly buddhist). The old man just says "Ah I see... buddhism isn't a real religion, but christianity is..." I thought "shit." The old guy then went on to say that something about Buddha is a real person and can not make a religion, while Christ is the son of God. Also that buddhism is a philosophy and not a religion. By that time I choked down all the food, got up, said I have to go back to work, and left.[/QUOTE]

isn't that illegal? we were talking about it in business and my teacher said you couldn't ask an employees religion, how they got disabled, age, or net worth.

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']isn't that illegal? we were talking about it in business and my teacher said you couldn't ask an employees religion, how they got disabled, age, or net worth.[/QUOTE]
The older guy in his story wasn't his employer, he said it was a customer I believe.

I have however actually been working, behind the counter, and had some people come in spouting religion at me, I told them I understood how important it was to them but that I was pretty busy and that I would be, "Entirely too uncomfortable having them in my store asking me personal questions about anything other then video games that they would like to purchase". Apparently however I emphasized the uncomfortable sounded really convincing, or intimidating, because they apologized and left.

Wow..know what? I could go at this for days..

A guy comes in a couple of days after the PSP launches, I had just finished up and clocked out but was showing my boss the video I put on my PSP. The guy is like, flabbergasted that I'm holding a "PS3", and I smile and show him some of the stuff on mine, we go into the whole handheld system history and the games and movies that are coming out for it. He say's he'll take one, totally out of the blue, and we have to explain that we were sold out before our first shipment even arrived but that he can still preorder one on our next shipment for $25. Then he says no he can't do that because he only has $5 on him till his next check and his credit card is overdrawn (...um..how was he planning on paying for one then?). Before he leaves though, he offers up one more gem of a question, "So, wait, how do they get the PS2 tapes to fit in there??"...

Someone mentioned already that people don't know what the store sells, right? heh, the thing with the jock straps? yeeaah...a lot of people see "game" in the phone book and call us up with the weirdest questions. We track a list of the weird things we don't sell at work too, some of the stranger ones I can remember are: televisions/dvd players, board games, skateboards, knee-pads and skates, yo-yo's, and the weirdest one that even the woman who asked felt silly about: hoola hoops.

Also, we don't sell those large beach balls (the phone conversation went something like: "No, we don't sell those here", "You know, like the really big ones? That you inflate?", "No, I'm sorry ma'am, we don't sell anything like that here-", "No, no, like a BIIIG one, like four feet or something, you have anything like that?". "...hmm, I don't know where you'd go for one of those, maybe a toy store like Toys-r-us would have them?", "Oh, like a Toys-R-Us, you think?", "Yeah, maybe", "okay, thanks, I'll be by later." *click*....What???).

~

i cant believe no one has posted about this till now.

1. On the PS2 Demo Unit, when i was on duty i would always put in a shitty game (Fantavasion anyone!)because if you stuck in Fight Night, these hooligans would crowd around and play it all day. But if i really wanted to mess with the kids. I would pull out the remote to the LCD that the ps2 unit had, and turn it off/on/off again. Then these kids would try and reset it or go behind the unit and flip the switch. I used to "freak out" and go what the fuck, what happened, what did you do, you guys broke it! Turning off the PS2 LCD Screen eliminated a lot of the riff-raff.

I dont think we ever had a working remote for the xbox tv, but the on/off switch is well enough away and not obvious, that once its off, no one will find it to turn it on. The other fun thing to do was unplug the controllers and have the customers trying to figure out why there constant mashing of the buttons wasn't responding.

Yeah i sold a copy of fantavision once, i felt so guilty.

First off, pardon my spelling and grammer, its late and im tired.

I work at Radio Shack. I work on commission. I guess none of you work on commission so here is my little story, maybe 2.

I have this person who bought a Cell Phone from me. (we make alot of money selling cell phones) She came in exactly 17 days after buying the phone and wants a refund. Now sprint has a 15 day garentee on all new 2 year activations; if you dont like the phone, return it in 15 days. When you buy a cell phone your first bill will be the highest, we warn the customer before we activate the phone and we have an estimite on the first bill. ANYWAY. 17 days later she somes in and demands we return the phone because the bill was 200ish dollars, and she had forked out around 200 already at the time of activation (125 deposit). She rants and raves about the polocy and thretens to all her lawyer and get me fired because of a sprint issue. an hour later she leaves and dosn't get her money back.

We constently have people buying things and returning them a few days later. When you work on commission that is a bitch.

I guess a few more

This guy Auggie was allways coming by the store asking us for a rediculous amount of service on a cheap little prepayed phone he bought. A cowworker decribed him as a neucence on a good day. Anyway, a few weeks ago he comes in (we are all bussey with inventory) and goes up to our verizon dispay (we had 2 real phones on there 5 empty pegs and 1 dummy), whips out a pair of nippy cutters and cut one of the working phones off and pockets it. I walk over and ask him to empty his pockets, he pulles out the phone and i take it over to my manager. I tell him Auggie cut it off and tryed to steal it. Auggie plays dumb and than insists that it was to swich it for his current phone. My manager dosn't beleave me and i tell Auggie to leave and not to vome back.

He comes back 3 more time and a keep telling him to leave. I plan to call the cops next time that happens.

One last one for the road

Today about 6 differant radio Shacks were hit with a bunch of digital cammera thefts, My store was no exeption. Dude comes in, says he is looking while his "woman" cashes a check at amcot. I tell him the price of a camera and her continues looking at it. I turn for 30 seconds and he (aparently) whips out a pair of nippy cutters and takes the cammera.

I really fucking hate having the only electronics store in the getto.

[quote name='drunken_master']
I really fucking hate having the only electronics store in the getto.[/QUOTE]

I hate it when people try to play our DS demo systems with pocket knives. Yes.

Then the nintendo rep has to replace them, and she only replaced one. :(

that reminds me, never ever touch the demo systems. all the hands that get on those controllers or systems, you dont know where they have been or when the last employee has washed them.

[quote name='badtone']i cant believe no one has posted about this till now.

1. On the PS2 Demo Unit, when i was on duty i would always put in a shitty game (Fantavasion anyone!)because if you stuck in Fight Night, these hooligans would crowd around and play it all day. But if i really wanted to mess with the kids. I would pull out the remote to the LCD that the ps2 unit had, and turn it off/on/off again. Then these kids would try and reset it or go behind the unit and flip the switch. I used to "freak out" and go what the fuck, what happened, what did you do, you guys broke it! Turning off the PS2 LCD Screen eliminated a lot of the riff-raff.

I dont think we ever had a working remote for the xbox tv, but the on/off switch is well enough away and not obvious, that once its off, no one will find it to turn it on. The other fun thing to do was unplug the controllers and have the customers trying to figure out why there constant mashing of the buttons wasn't responding.

Yeah i sold a copy of fantavision once, i felt so guilty.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
I've never messed with people while they were on the interactives, but a few times the game that's in the system messes with the customers. we try to put out the newest demos to get people to reserve what the demo is, and PoP:WW had this part where he yells out, "You Bitch!"...um, yeah, heh, the frist time that happened to me was when the store was otherwise unearthly quiet and all the sudden the five our six customers and myself all look up at the PS2 like, wtf?...

afterwards I learned exaclty where it was in the demo and whenever it came up and there was no customers in the store I'd yell it out with him ^_^

[quote name='badtone']i cant believe no one has posted about this till now.

Yeah i sold a copy of fantavision once, i felt so guilty.[/QUOTE]

I did the SAME THING. I would have stupid kids in my store all day if I left the interactives on. I would simply turn them off with a remote, and freak out like the broke it. Then ask there phone number so I could call there parents, lol.

so, i'm sitting here catching up on this thread, and my co-worker IMs me:

him: u heard about today>
me: ?
him: we got robbed
him: so gay
me: what??
me: shit, explain
him: for a psp not cash
him: the guy asked to see it and [MY ASM] wouldnt give it to him and the guy started to wrestlle it out of [MY ASM]'s hands
him: then he sprint out the door and [MY ASM] jumped over the counter all fast
him: and the guy got in a van
him: and sped off
him: sum1 at starbucks got the plate
him: then the cops went to where the van was registered
him: and arrested 2 guys
him: they werent the guys
him: and they said that the guy just got in their van and demanded they drive him away
him: which i dont believe
him: i know they were accomplisses
him: they were just sitting in the parking lot
me: jeez, that's nuts
him: but they said their van was overheating
him: and so later
him: i have [EMPLOYEE OF ANOTHER EB] watch the tape
him: he goes...
him: "thats my neighbor!"
him: ..so were waiting on him getting us the info..
him: lol
him: karma? i dunno
me: hahaha, awesome!
him: weird
me: man, and i'm reading this thread on cheapassgamer right now about videogame retail employees posting stories of stupid customers and such
me: hehe
him: nice
me: mind if i post this conversation? it's like an immediate good story

:)

Yeah, the last few times I worked, my assistant manager left the interactives off saying that the manager took the keys with him. One time, I guess someone forgot to turn off the systems the night before and only the TVs were off; he didn't notice it but obviously the kids did and they turned on the TVs (despite the frame we have covering the buttons). My asm casually strolls over to the back of the tvs that are facing us behind the counter, and unplugs all of the connections and then walks off like he didn't know what happened.

What I hate the most is that when you turn on the interactives and have it set at a certain volume, kids will come in, tear off the frame, and then turn the volume up to maximum. And then you'd go over and turn down the volume hoping they'd get the hint and then they'd turn it right off again (this is when you pull out the audio cable)

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']so, i'm sitting here catching up on this thread, and my co-worker IMs me:

him: u heard about today>
me: ?
him: we got robbed
him: so gay
me: what??
me: shit, explain
him: for a psp not cash
him: the guy asked to see it and [MY ASM] wouldnt give it to him and the guy started to wrestlle it out of [MY ASM]'s hands
him: then he sprint out the door and [MY ASM] jumped over the counter all fast
him: and the guy got in a van
him: and sped off
him: sum1 at starbucks got the plate
him: then the cops went to where the van was registered
him: and arrested 2 guys
him: they werent the guys
him: and they said that the guy just got in their van and demanded they drive him away
him: which i dont believe
him: i know they were accomplisses
him: they were just sitting in the parking lot
me: jeez, that's nuts
him: but they said their van was overheating
him: and so later
him: i have [EMPLOYEE OF ANOTHER EB] watch the tape
him: he goes...
him: "thats my neighbor!"
him: ..so were waiting on him getting us the info..
him: lol
him: karma? i dunno
me: hahaha, awesome!
him: weird
me: man, and i'm reading this thread on cheapassgamer right now about videogame retail employees posting stories of stupid customers and such
me: hehe
him: nice
me: mind if i post this conversation? it's like an immediate good story

:)[/QUOTE]

haha, busted

Well, this was a long while ago, but it's something I'll never forget becuase of how ridiculous the situation was. I'm sure you folks currently working retail have seen similar. (haven't read every post here yet, quite funny so far though).

Anyway, back in 1998, I was working the cash register 2 weeks before christmas at TRU. This mother comes up with her two children in tow, purchasing a new game for the N64, forget what it was though. I go through the normal motions asking if she found everything okay, and had would this be finishing up her christmas shopping - and her little boy proceeds to start bawling when she tells me yes finally finished.

I look at the kid somewhat sympathetically, and asked him whats wrong. He starts wiping his tears still sniffling as kids do (he had to be about 9 or 10 years old, so the crying was a little foreign to me for a boy that age, for not getting physically hurt) and says something to the effect of, "my mo-mo-mommy won't buy me zelda!" breathing in between each word. She's looking at me, clearly disgusted at her kids reaction and tells him to be quiet. He starts bawling some more stomping around the store, making a scene; I feel sorry for the lady as she's letting him know christmas is only two weeks away, and to wait.

Anyway, I asked her why she put up with this, and she lets me know that she tries talking to him but it never gets through (oh boo fucking ho ladie smack him, that would shut him up). I would have smacked that kids ass hard enough to give him a reason to cry if I were her.

Not too funny, but I hated bratty kids like that. Unless they were toddlers. But a kid clearly not a toddler, and obviously not even in the first few grades of school, he's got problems. I'd hate to see that kid today.

[quote name='tauruskatt']The older guy in his story wasn't his employer, he said it was a customer I believe.

I have however actually been working, behind the counter, and had some people come in spouting religion at me, I told them I understood how important it was to them but that I was pretty busy and that I would be, "Entirely too uncomfortable having them in my store asking me personal questions about anything other then video games that they would like to purchase". Apparently however I emphasized the uncomfortable sounded really convincing, or intimidating, because they apologized and left.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this reminds me of one of the most horrible examples of a customer abusing an employee (without any physical attack or screaming) that I can remember and also an example of the most patient, calm employee I have ever seen. I went to the Target in Springfield, Virginia a few years ago. I noticed a woman talking to the vaguely middle-eastern looking security guard who checks receipts at the front. No big deal. I shop for a while, and as I'm leaving she is still talking to him, and he looks a bit dazed. So I'm curious - I make out like I'm checking the ads in the glass case at the front of the store. Basically, this lady is haranging the guy about being Muslim and how he should become a Christian, etc... The WORST part, though, was that she kept asking over and over how horrible it must be for him KNOWING that his mother is burning in hell for not being the correct religion and how he can change that for himself (the assumptions and self-righteousness in that question astound me). WOW - what a low blow. The guy was very calm and just nodded and said practically nothing back. The other horrible part about it is that, unlike the guy talking about his McDonalds conversion, this guy couldn't up and leave - his post was at that set of doors, and he was stuck with her until she left. She was still at it when I left. Because she wasn't yelling or causing a security problem he had to put up with her and be nice or probably lose his job!

[quote name='badtone']that reminds me, never ever touch the demo systems. all the hands that get on those controllers or systems, you dont know where they have been or when the last employee has washed them.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I let my 5 year-old play them while I look through games - he's clean, I make sure of that - but now I'm thinking for his safety I shouldn't let him play!

At GR (I suspect theirs aren't too bad cleanliness-wise because they don't get all the mall riff-raff that EB gets) he loves playing the God of War demo, and then shrieking and running away (and then laughing) when the big dragon/worm thing pops up. Hopefully I'll be getting the demo disc from the questionaire posted in the "Deals" forum a few days back. Then he can do that at home and freak out his mother.

Anyway, I asked her why she put up with this, and she lets me know that she tries talking to him but it never gets through (oh boo fucking ho ladie smack him, that would shut him up). I would have smacked that kids ass hard enough to give him a reason to cry if I were her.

Smacking the kid won't fix anything, it would just make him cry more.

You just say "I do not have a kid that whines. So if you're going to continue whining, then I am leaving." Then you walk off and stand in a place that is out of sight but where you can still watch your kid. When they stop crying you come back and ask if they're ready to leave.

I've seen a couple different parents do this with their kids and watched them grow up in to wonderful people. Never whined again.

I've never worked in a game store, but I can share a ridiculous customer service story from Subway. We had a sign up that said "Now accepting applications." It's always up, but that doesn't mean we were always hiring. This kid comes in and asks for an application. The other guy I was working with says we're out, but tomorrow the manager will be in so he can just talk directly to her. This random guy, not related to the kid at all says "Your sign says you're accepting applications! You have to have some! If you don't that's illegal!" The other guy says "Well, we are accepting applications, but if we run out we can't be held responsible for it unless we willingly don't get more applications for an extended period of time...and even then I don't think that there's some law against having pieces of paper..."

The guy keeps on pressing the point. The kid has already tried to chime in a couple times saying he doesn't care and he can talk to the manager the next day. The guy finally makes some comment along the lines of "If you have that sign you have to hire him." I say, "I'm sorry sir. We don't have any. He can talk to the manager tomorrow and turn in an application. Also, it says we're accepting applications. It has nothing to do with hiring."

The guy storms out and gets in his truck right outside. He stares at me for about 5 minutes while the kid walks to the other stores in the strip mall asking for applications. He then calls the kid over and says something, then storms back in. He starts going off on me about how I could be arrested and how he wants the number for my regional manager. I finally apologize, saying that I didn't mean to be rude, but kindly telling him that we're not in trouble. He then says "Make me a sandwich. And it better be free."

The other guy (who was my senior, I only worked there for two weeks before it got so bad I quit...the manager was fired the next day) immediately said "Get out." The guy was stunned and said "What?" My coworker said "Get out before I call the cops." The guy slowly walked out. I guess his evident total lack of legal knowledge made him wonder just how much of a foot we had to stand on to call the cops. Apparently he didn't want to risk it. Man I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

Yeah, I know it's not a game store story...but not everyone's is =P

[quote name='Lorik']Once some kid took a massive dump in his pants while looking at our Xbox section. This kid was at least 15, and he was crouching down to look at the games on the lower shelf. He didn't stand back up until an hour later when his mother came. He just crouched there in the same spot, looking at the same game, afraid to move.

How do I know he soiled himself? The smell was horrific! A little kid even walked by and said 'Mommy what smells like stinky poo?'. My manager even asked him if he needed to use our bathroom (letting people into our bathroom was way against the rules) becasue he smelt so awful. The kid said he was just looking. An hour later his mother comes, and rushes him out of the store, coming back later to buy him the game he was staring at for the stankiest hour of my life.[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!!!!

Another non-game store story, but hey we haven't all worked at one.

I worked at a grocery store during high school and part of college. I spent the majority of it in the customer service department. Tons of stories, but with time I can't remember them all. This is one of my favorite return stories.

One summer night back in '01, I'm all alone at the desk. A woman comes in and I greet her as usual. She starts going on about how she bought a potted plant (from the flower dept) and it's got these bugs all over it and it's dying. She wants a refund. Now, she has nothing in her hands. Conversation as follows:

Me: Ok, well, do you have a receipt?
Lady: Uh, no why would I still have the receipt? I bought it a year ago.
Me: ...

So there's the problem right there. I knew she wasn't getting anything that night. I go on just to go through the motions, humor her really.

Me: Uh, ok well do you at least have the plant?
Lady: Of course not! I bought it as a gift for my [relative] in Florida! It's in Florida!
Me: Ok, well how much did you pay for it?
Lady: [slightly aggravated] I just told you I bought it over a year ago! How am I supposed to remember how much I paid?
Me: Ok. So you want a refund for a plant you bought a year ago, that you don't have a receipt for, you don't have the plant, and you don't have any clue how much you paid for it.
Lady: Yes!! I already told you I want a refund. It has bugs all over it and it's starting to die.
Me: Well, I understand that your saying there are bugs on it, but that sometimes happens over time with plants. Like you said, you bought it a year ago. Plants can get bugs. And plants do not live forever, no matter how well you take care of them.
Lady: [backpeddling] No...but...they had bugs on them when I bought it.
Me: Ok, so if you noticed there were bugs on it when you bought it, why didn't you bring it right back in for an exchange or a refund?
Lady: BECAUSE! I didn't see it until I brought it to Florida!!

So by this time it's just going in circles, same things being repeated. I'm getting the feeling the plant didn't exist. I'm telling her again why there is no way she can get a refund. So she wants to speak to a manager (and it's the evening manager because, well, it's late). I tell her he is going to tell you the exact same thing, but I'll gladly call him. He comes over and she tells pretty much the same story, and he asks questions about how much she paid and she responds the same way. She couldn't even make something up for the manager? Needless to say she left empty-handed, and I never saw her in the store again. We had a good chuckle afterwards.

File this under "retail employees are pieces of shit"

This guy comes in and buys a PS2. When I ring everything up and tell him the price, he pulls out 2 fresh $100 bills and just carelessly tosses them at my counter (think of the early scene in the Godfather when Sonny tosses the cameraman 2 bills on the ground)

So there's no way I'm gonna be chasing this bum's money. I tell him "Ok, let's try this again. This time, you hand me the money"

What I should have done is carelessly "tossed" his new PS2 back at him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back