Eternal Sonata - Gen. Discussion + Info

I usually hate turn-based battles but this certainly was an interesting way to make them not seem that way... I'll rent and maybe buy at $29 or $20. What? I'm patient and have a stack of unopened 360 games to get through.

I DL'd the demo about a month ago off a JPN live account and i loved it!, i was thinking about getting blue dragon, but now i am leaning towards getting this and waiting for BD to come down in price, because this game is crazy fun.

I'm not a huge RPG fan but I did get to play through 99% of Baten Kaitos last gen. This demo just sealed it's purchase fate with me. The battles system is awesome (way better than the BK card system) especially the Block button feature. The music is already giving me butterflies in the stomach (one of BK's best attributes). I was a little disappointed in the environments only because BK had created more atmosphere with it's 2D backgrounds than ES has (so far) with it's 3D ones. Although that flower field was pretty nice.

I haven't seen a use for the right thumbstick outside of a menu screen. Would like to have the option of using that as my Y,X,B & A by just flicking it in the appropriate direction.

That stranglehold demo was great too. First time for me that there have been simultaneous demo releases that I thoroughly enjoyed and will purchase.

WOW this is actually good!!?!?! I am thoroughly impressed :) I wasn't expecting to like this game AT all and I loved the demo. Blue dragon on the other hand sucked royal asshole. Weird times we're living in.

I'm playing the hell out of the demo! It's a lot cuter than what I'm used to seeing on the 360, but that's a breath of fresh air. I love the style, and I'm really enjoying the combat system... it's a frantic kind of turn-based fighting.

Man. I had the Bioshock demo and this sitting on my HD waiting to be played. I chose this one first because it's 2 AM and I'm scared of what's in Rapture (I'm a vag).

I was REALLY impressed by this game. I'm not one for RPGs whatsoever, especially Japanese ones. But because I heard this was not turned based I gave it a shot. Loved it. I absolutely hate turn-based RPGs because you're really doing anything besides navigating menus. Though this is essentially a 2 button game during battle, at least you're actively doing something.

It's a real shame it's coming out in September. Despite my absolute love for Halo, I will purchase this hopefully the day it comes out to show my support. I might not get around to playing it..for possibly years, but at least I know I put my money where my mouth is.

There is something to this game, for sure. I haven't played anything even remotely resembling an RPG since Knights of the Old Republic, but this game has interested me for a while. I did enjoy the demo, and this has a good chance of being a purchase at some point.

I just played the demo and Wow. I really dug it. I thought I might be interested in this when I first heard about it due to the story. Also, I really love the battle system. This might be one of the few RPGs I really get into. Does anyone know if the preorder bonus is just available online or in the store as well?

Played the demo and it wasn't my thing. I used to be a huge RPG fan during the SNES - Playstation era and to me the mechanics haven't changed much since then.

Until more innovative titles come out (unlike Blue Dragon and this), I can't say I'm too excited about this. I want to be, but with so few RPGs out there, I guess I'm being too picky.

[quote name='RudyPants']Played the demo and it wasn't my thing. I used to be a huge RPG fan during the SNES - Playstation era and to me the mechanics haven't changed much since then.

Until more innovative titles come out (unlike Blue Dragon and this), I can't say I'm too excited about this. I want to be, but with so few RPGs out there, I guess I'm being too picky.[/quote]

How can you say this title is not inovative. Name another RPG that say the same battle system or a similar story.

I didn't say it wasn't innovative, I guess I just felt like I was playing Jade Empire again. It's a little different - obviously they're completely different story-wise and Jade Empire isn't really turn-based - but in terms of game play with the battle system seems like I've been there before.

I'm not saying I'm right, but it seems a little stale.

To be honest, they had me at:

Chopin.

Not Ninja Gaiden. Or a game like Ninja Gaiden. Or a game that wants to be Ninja gaiden.

Chopin.

Not a FPS.

I'm getting it on day one. Hopefully I can get through it prior to Halo3 being released as I'm going to think that to be a bit of a distraction. However, Eternal Sonata is a "must buy" for me.

Oh man I played the demo a while back just cause I was bored and had nothing better to do while waiting for bioshock and MAN was I suprised. I just love everything they did in this game. I am definately gonna preorder this one so I can get one of those faceplates, they look awesome.

Also does anyone know if the Faceplate bonus at GS is online only? I would prefer that my Preorder be at my local GS but I really want that faceplate and my local GS manager just said that it is limited to how many faceplates they get and I would hate to have them run out and not get one.

[quote name='darthbudge']Oh man I played the demo a while back just cause I was bored and had nothing better to do while waiting for bioshock and MAN was I suprised. I just love everything they did in this game. I am definately gonna preorder this one so I can get one of those faceplates, they look awesome.

Also does anyone know if the Faceplate bonus at GS is online only? I would prefer that my Preorder be at my local GS but I really want that faceplate and my local GS manager just said that it is limited to how many faceplates they get and I would hate to have them run out and not get one.[/quote]I preordered mine at GameCrazy and they said they were getting faceplates as well. I'm probably gonna check it out sometime this week for some confirmation.

The english VA is cheesy as hell, surprise surprise. Will this one have subs and Japanese VA?

... Ah. A PS2 game thread topic I don't want to see return.

Japanese versus English voice acting.

*Gets off bar stool. Gulps last bit of beer*

Time for me to step out of this thread.

[quote name='Apossum']The english VA is cheesy as hell, surprise surprise. Will this one have subs and Japanese VA?[/QUOTE]
yes

Has anyone gotten a confirmation that B&M store will get the faceplate? Cause the people at gamestop couldnt find anything on the computer.

Preorder gift info won't be in the computer.

As far as I know, the faceplates will be in store too. Though like most of these things I doubt the company will send enough to cover preorders.

Why take a chance on the local store giving away your preorder bonus?

Personally I never preorder anything in a store that has a bonus the employees can just TAKE and claim never arrived.

Learned that lesson early in life.

Well in this case at a store you might get to chose which face plate you want. If you order online you might stuck with a crappy one.

Question: If I pre-order the game from EB/GS will I get my faceplate right there?? Or will I have to pick it up with the game?! :(

[quote name='lilboo']Question: If I pre-order the game from EB/GS will I get my faceplate right there?? Or will I have to pick it up with the game?! :([/QUOTE]

Most stores make you wait until you actually pick up the game so you don't cancel after. Otherwise I would be pre-ordering at 5 different stores....

Did this game came out today? I went to my local mom and pop store to pick up hack gu vol 3 ,and I saw this game out for sale, they probably beat the street date. I didn't bother purchasing it since I really want that preorder faceplate.

yea the game has been leaked.

Also the upcoming PS3 version will have extra, such as 2 more playable character and new clothing.

[quote name='Gourd']Sounds like something that could be added to the 360 version. The extra characters.[/QUOTE]
highly unlikely as download content unless they planned before the game was out.

Hey everyone, they got in the Eternal Sonata faceplates at GS now and they are sweet. One of the workers at my GS I know let me see them early and he also tucked away the Chopin one just for me when I pick it up monday. I can't wait.

[quote name='62t']highly unlikely as download content unless they planned before the game was out.[/QUOTE]

There's zero reason this couldn't happen. If shivering isles could happen, and if the PS3 rainbow six content became downloadable (free) then the Eternal Sonata stuff will too.

My local gamestop only got in Polka faceplates. I paid for the game in full when I pre-ordered so they gave me the faceplate already.

For anyone else that has their faceplate, is the little black "sensor" piece missing? It's the piece that is directly underneath the dvd drive. Mine was missing and it leaves a gaping hole in an otherwise beautiful faceplate.

Reviews seem pretty good for this game.

ign
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2UMehKr3u-c[/media]

gametrailers
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MuvKxPtDuO4[/media]

Nice. This is the kind of RPG I can handle. 20-30 hours! Maybe a little disappointing about the linear/non-explorable envrionment and story, but it's Tri-Ace. Seems to be an extension of the Radiata Stories formula, and I was fine with that one.

Unfortunately I pre-ordered this one at FamilyVid, and they haven't been doing well with pre-orders, so who knows if and when I'm actually going to get this game. Sometimes saving a few bucks does end up costing you in the short run. :p

[quote name='gunm']Nice. This is the kind of RPG I can handle. 20-30 hours! Maybe a little disappointing about the linear/non-explorable envrionment and story, but it's Tri-Ace. Seems to be an extension of the Radiata Stories formula, and I was fine with that one.[/QUOTE] It's actually Tri-Crescendo. They made Baten Kaitos.

[quote name='KyotheWicked']My local gamestop only got in Polka faceplates. I paid for the game in full when I pre-ordered so they gave me the faceplate already.

For anyone else that has their faceplate, is the little black "sensor" piece missing? It's the piece that is directly underneath the dvd drive. Mine was missing and it leaves a gaping hole in an otherwise beautiful faceplate.[/QUOTE]
I got my faceplate too, and no the black sensor piece isn't missing. You got a broken one T.T
It's actually Tri-Crescendo. They made Baten Kaitos.
Actually Tri-Crescendo did the music for Baten Kaitos. This is their first game as game developers.

So, did Gamestop get this game in already? Selling it tomorrow? If so, awesome. I will have the next two days to dump into it if so!

[quote name='Kendal']So, did Gamestop get this game in already? Selling it tomorrow? If so, awesome. I will have the next two days to dump into it if so![/QUOTE]

No, its not out. It has yet to be leaked online so I would say Wednesday is your best bet.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Actually Tri-Crescendo did the music for Baten Kaitos. This is their first game as game developers.[/QUOTE]
Eh, they did a little more than that. I think on the old Tri-Ace games they did the sound only.

Baten Kaitos Credits

[quote name='KyotheWicked']
For anyone else that has their faceplate, is the little black "sensor" piece missing? It's the piece that is directly underneath the dvd drive. Mine was missing and it leaves a gaping hole in an otherwise beautiful faceplate.[/quote]

When I got mine, the black sensor was also missing, but upon further inspection of the bubble wrap my faceplate came in, it was in there. Check the bubble wrap, hopefully you haven't thrown it out yet.

[quote name='GizmoGC']No, its not out. It has yet to be leaked online so I would say Wednesday is your best bet.[/quote]

The game is out today

[quote name='pete5883']Eh, they did a little more than that. I think on the old Tri-Ace games they did the sound only.

Baten Kaitos Credits[/QUOTE]
My mistake, though the game itself credits Monolith Soft as the developers while it seems they were actually co-developers.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']The game is out today[/QUOTE]

No, its not. Games do NOT come out on Monday.
It SHIPS today, it will not be in 99% of the stores today.
It will be out TOMORROW.

It's a bit strange though because games usually ship on tueday and arrive by thursday.

bread's done
Back