Excitebots: Trick Racing - Now racing weekly! Sign up!

metaly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
cagexcitebots.png

ExciteBots is Monster Games' followup to Excite Truck and features giant robot bugs, super sandwiches, and six-player online racing! Add your friend code to the list below to participate in race night! Also, if you have a PS3, we usually have a PSN chat room going so we can talk during the race.

Game Nights
Wednesdays at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific

Friend code list

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone was talking about it in the thread surrounding the news item when it was announced.

Either way, I am also completely excited for this. I have mentioned it before but Excite Truck is definitely one of my favorite Wii games out of the hundreds I have played. Everything about it just works for me, and I don't even really like racing games.

Endless Ocean is my favorite Wii game. That's right. I will definitely give this a try, and give Excite Truck a second chance. It looks like it captures some of the madness of WarioWare. Hope it doesn't suck as bad as WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

So many intriguing Wii games already this year... Sheesh! :bouncy:

From previews and hands-on, this is a definite buy without a doubt.
Hope to play some of you online. I'm not really competitive, but it'll be fun regardless.

I still need to play ExciteTruck and Endless Ocean. I can't find them anywhere though

definitely looking forward to ExciteBots

The only downside to this I have seen, is that they removed the feature that let you play your own mp3's instead of the games music.

Still looks fun

That's horrible news if it's completely gone. That was a lot of the Excite Truck experience for me.

Do you know if custom music is out entirely, or have they just switched to AAC like with the Photo Channel/DSi/etc.?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Hopefully the music isn't as grating as in Excite Truck. I won't mind then.[/quote]
Am I the only person with a receiver/stereo system hooked up alongside my TV? I see complaints like this all the time about game music. It's generally terrible in any game. While I liked the idea of custom soundtracks in Excite Truck, I never used it once because I can make my own custom soundtrack to any game using a CD/MP3 player. I have my audio split so I can turn down all music volume in a game and retain the sound effects (as long as the game supports it) through the TV speakers. I then play whatever music I want through the receiver over the surround sound speakers. If the game music is not horribly annoying I just run everything through the receiver and omit my own music.

As you can tell, I'm not really broken up about the loss of custom soundtracks.

Wow, this came out of nowhere. I've probably logged more hours on Excite Truck than any other Wii game. It's extremely underrated. At least IGN gave Excite Truck a proper review unlike a lot of other sites.

Did anyone pick this up yet? If so, how's the online? I think my Best Buy will have it in stock tomorrow, so I'm thinking about picking it up, but having CAG's to race against online would make the decision to purchase it much easier.

[quote name='wjhard63']Did anyone pick this up yet? If so, how's the online? I think my Best Buy will have it in stock tomorrow, so I'm thinking about picking it up, but having CAG's to race against online would make the decision to purchase it much easier.[/quote]
I'll probably get it today or tomorrow. Friday might be the first chance I have to really play for a long stretch of time though.

[quote name='snipegod']Is this seriously $40 MSRP?

If so, I'm definitely buying this at launch ... and I never buy at launch.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap... That sucks... now I may jump sooner than I wanted and bump back Madworld... which is not good considering madworld needs the sales.

I put in an Amazon order but it seems like they're stocking it a few days late so I might not get it until next week. Boo.

Oh well, I'll take advantage by finally picking up those last S ranks in Excite Truck.

I'll wait around for some impressions. Really did enjoy how Mario Kart looked and played..

May also be really cheap and wait around for it to hit $30 :cool:

I just got it and will return with impressions after playing for a bit. Might get Excite Truck too if I like this one. ET was boring as fuck to me, but I only played it at a party (multiplayer) for like 20 minutes.

I ended up picking this up on my lunch - I'm really hoping to get a chance to play tonight as the original remains one of my favorite games.

[quote name='decrot']played it and the game is kinda meh from the beginning. I hate how it doesn't allow you to use an analog stick.[/quote]

I hate racing games that use an analog stick. One of my favorite things about the original Excite Truck is that the entire game, from truck handling to track layout, is so clearly designed with the sideways remote in mind.

[quote name='wii skiier']I ended up picking this up on my lunch - I'm really hoping to get a chance to play tonight as the original remains one of my favorite games.

I hate racing games that use an analog stick. One of my favorite things about the original Excite Truck is that the entire game, from truck handling to track layout, is so clearly designed with the sideways remote in mind.[/quote]
for me its more about being precise. The wiimote is just too.... loose i guess you can say. I couldn't stand playing mario kart with the wii wheel as i rather use the stick. Unless there is a good stable steering wheel available.

Impressions:
1st race impressions:
Presentation looks pretty neat, lots of unlockables (as already noted)
I couldn't finish training with the Wiimote flat mode, so I played my first race using the Wii Wheel. For the most part it was good, but I almost lost because I went off a ramp and went really far to the right... D:

Recharged a set of batteries for race 2, will update as I continue. Also I will note when I am done updating this post.

Race 2:
I picked the bat this time, and I'm not sure anything improved. My hands are getting tired, although I may be playing EB like the Wiitards who break their TV's.
The ? hexagons are really neat, although I kinda suck at them...
This game goes out of its way to make you win... I was sucking real hard (same problem with the hills etc.) and I still came out in 1st.

3:
A little better with the Grasshopper.

General:
It may be difficult playing this came for extended periods of time. All the shaking and shit... fuck.
I recommend the Wii Wheel over the other control option.
---done updating with impressions.---

Let's not fuck this up guys. I have created a wiki-style FC registry on Google Docs. Better than one OP taking forever to update etc.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmw2uL3EEye8G_km9prnmFQ

Last edited by a moderator:
So, somone compare this to Mario Kart and ExciteTruck. What is it more like? Better?
I didn't like ExciteTruck for some reason..but I loved Mario Kart...so..:whistle2:k

I liked Mario Kart Wii, liked MK64 more, and this worse than those two. I barely played ET, so it's not a fair comparison. This game is waggle. My hands hurt. Can't wait until I get a 360 and cut the BS.

And it goes without saying that Endless Ocean is better than all of those other games. :grouphug:

Love Excite Truck, love Mario Kart Double Dash...Mario Kart Wii is just meh. Not sure why I can't get into MK Wii.

Anyway, it has been confirmed tonight that my parents just bought this for my son for his upcoming birthday, so...

[quote name='lilboo']So, somone compare this to Mario Kart and ExciteTruck. What is it more like? Better?
I didn't like ExciteTruck for some reason..but I loved Mario Kart...so..:whistle2:k[/quote]
Just got done playing for about 30 minutes with my six-year-old. We play both Excite Truck and Mario Kart together and this was much more like Excite Truck than Mario Kart. Which is good for me because I prefer Excite Truck.

Later tonight I will start my own profile and start unlocking stuff, but from initial plays I couldn't have been happier. I like the loose controls and they remained pretty consistent from Excite Truck, so I already knew what to expect. The game is bright and shiny and fast and fun. Two things Doomed:
1. Once I am set up I'll add my code to your thread
2. Once you get used to the controls they don't seem like so much work. You might be overdoing it too; subtle motions work pretty well. I'd say try playing drunk as it puts you in a more relaxed, Excite-friendly mode, but I think you're not old enough to drink legally if I recall. If that's the case, you should hire a hobo to sit next to you and get drunk while you play.

[quote name='Doomed']I liked Mario Kart Wii, liked MK64 more, and this worse than those two. I barely played ET, so it's not a fair comparison. This game is waggle. My hands hurt. Can't wait until I get a 360 and cut the BS.

And it goes without saying that Endless Ocean is better than all of those other games. :grouphug:[/quote]

Sorry, but waggle is shaking the Wii remote nonsensically back and forth. You do that hardly ever, and if you're doing that to steer, no wonder you like Mario Kart more. Thanks for misusing the term like almost everyone in the media. :booty:

I'll be picking this up from Toys R Us tomorrow, I still have my $20 RE5 giftcard that's about to expire and for $30 getting ExciteBots and an extra wheel is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Sorry, but waggle is shaking the Wii remote nonsensically back and forth. You do that hardly ever, and if you're doing that to steer, no wonder you like Mario Kart more. Thanks for misusing the term like almost everyone in the media. :booty:[/quote]
Which controller setup are you using? I'd love to like this game. What are you talking about when you say no waggle? Okay, motion controls. There are lots of them. Every race I've played has a bar (which doesn't hurt that much) but to get stars, every time I go off a ramp I try to spin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I usually end up almost not getting enough stars even with that. Should I be trying to ram the fuck out of the other cars? Maybe I need to do more tree runs. I've got the red bar timing down pretty well. Maybe I'm treating it too much like a racer when I should be treating it like an overworld map for WarioWare microgames.

[quote name='Doomed']Which controller setup are you using? I'd love to like this game. What are you talking about when you say no waggle? Okay, motion controls. There are lots of them. Every race I've played has a bar (which doesn't hurt that much) but to get stars, every time I go off a ramp I try to spin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I usually end up almost not getting enough stars even with that. Should I be trying to ram the fuck out of the other cars? Maybe I need to do more tree runs. I've got the red bar timing down pretty well. Maybe I'm treating it too much like a racer when I should be treating it like an overworld map for WarioWare microgames.[/quote]
Drive like an idiot to get stars. The crazier you drive without crashing into rocks and trees, the more stars you will get. I guess you can try to focus on tree runs or specific skills, but since you're just getting a feel for the controls I'd say you're probably better off just going as fast as you can (turbo constantly) and the rest comes naturally.

For anyone who played Excite Truck, the controls carry over almost exactly. I was a little worried the robot thing would change the controls, but that's not the case. This is exactly the game I wanted, with one complaint - the horizontal red bars completely destroy the sense of speed and fluidity of the races. 10 spins? I don't mind the yellow bars at all, but I hate basically stalling out for 10 seconds.

I played online for four races last night. I was able to get full six-person races right away even at 1am PST. I love the online races - very chaotic. I don't quite get the betting thing yet, but I can tell it's addictive. I played against people who had clearly already bet their way up past 50K stars.

Doomed - I can't seem to edit your friend code spreadsheet. My code is 0517 3644 4642.

[quote name='Doomed']Which controller setup are you using? I'd love to like this game. What are you talking about when you say no waggle? Okay, motion controls. There are lots of them. Every race I've played has a bar (which doesn't hurt that much) but to get stars, every time I go off a ramp I try to spin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I usually end up almost not getting enough stars even with that. Should I be trying to ram the fuck out of the other cars? Maybe I need to do more tree runs. I've got the red bar timing down pretty well. Maybe I'm treating it too much like a racer when I should be treating it like an overworld map for WarioWare microgames.[/quote]

Motion controls =/= waggle

The dictionary definition of waggle is "to move up and down or from side to side in a short, rapid manner". Now if you're driving like that, you're a madman! lol A lot of people just call motion controls waggle in an unflattering way. It's just obnoxious trying to find Wii reviews that don't come off as a mean-spirited imo.

I get a lot of air from a jump, and use that to do a 1080 spin. Sometimes I even get the super air bonus, too. There's ten stars right there, and there are a plethora of opportunities for them, too. Also look for those tokens, too. Things like knocking down pins (you can earn up to ten stars each lap just on this alone), kicking a field goal, timing the yellow bars, collecting butterflies (you can earn up to 20 stars each lap on this alone), and so forth.

Just stick with it. Explore the tracks until you get a good racing line, and you know the right areas to race on. Oh, and if you want to race online, I'd love to, Doomed! :)

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Motion controls =/= waggle[/quote]
Yup.
[quote name='SuperPhillip']Oh, and if you want to race online, I'd love to, Doomed! :)[/quote]
Jerk. What about me?

Does anyone know how WFC Friend races work? Is it just the two of you, or can it be set up like Mario Kart where you both go join a larger race together?

[quote name='wii skiier']Yup.

Jerk. What about me?[/quote]

How selfish of me! :cold:

I'm playing AC:CF right now, but when I finish, I'll track down my friend code for Excite.

So basically, if you like Excite Truck, you'll like this. Sounds reasonable. The price is right.

I'm confused by some of you who want "analog stick" control, or find it difficult to control, or "hard on your hands". Most reviews say it's pretty much the same control as the first game, which required extremely subtle movements. (I understand the "red bar" game is a little crazy.) But I guess many of you have never played the original Excite Truck?

It's probably a good idea to pick this up at launch, because if it's anything like the first game, in less than a year they'll stop production and you'll have to hunt for a used copy, which won't be that much cheaper than a new copy.

I can't play music and game audio out of my setup at the same time (only one at a time), so I am disappointed that they took out custom soundtracks. I honestly would have rather had custom soundtracks than online play, but keep in mind I'm not a huge online gamer anyway, and the idea of betting a bunch of stars and losing them to some twitchy savant online does not sound fun to me.

The controls actually feel tighter/improved from Excite Truck.

On an unrelated note, gah, Tasmania is annoying. I can only get an A.

The spreadsheet is fixed now. I added wii skiier to the list.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmw2uL3EEye8G_km9prnmFQ
[quote name='bluesyncopate']
I'm confused by some of you who want "analog stick" control, or find it difficult to control, or "hard on your hands". Most reviews say it's pretty much the same control as the first game, which required extremely subtle movements. (I understand the "red bar" game is a little crazy.) But I guess many of you have never played the original Excite Truck?[/quote]
Maybe the spinning off ramps does require subtle movements, and I'm just stupid. I will also try to get a hold of Excite Truck soon and see how that compares.

I can play online too. I'll add WS and whoever else wants in to my friends list.

Doomed,

If you are holding the wii wheel up no wonder the arms are getting tired...

Exctie truck played perfectly sat on your lap with the controller sideways. This is not a precision type of game, you may need to jerk it one way or the other if you are about to hit something. The whole point of excite truck was its an arcade racer where you barely have a handle on the race, for the entire race.

Tree runs, truck smashes, slides (drift), 1080's etc rack up the points... if you can do all that and still come in first then you are kicking but.

I have yet to play this but I cant say enough good things about excite truck. Once you realize its not Grn Turismo or Grid then things get fun.

My friend code is:

S.Phil - 2793 6971 3725

I added both Doomed and wii skier.
I wonder how racing online works. It'd be cool if you got to keep your stars no matter if you didn't win.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']My friend code is:

S.Phil - 2793 6971 3725

I added both Doomed and wii skier.
I wonder how racing online works. It'd be cool if you got to keep your stars no matter if you didn't win.[/quote]
I'll add you guys tonight - I should be able to play for a bit and definitely on Friday.

The first race I did online last night I bet 0 stars and at the end of the race I had the same stars even though I came in next-to-last. I think you can essentially make any race an "unranked" race this way no matter what the other players choose.

Yeah, you can bet nothing. It doesn't matter what anyone else bets. If I bet 2,500, I'd have to be in the top four to at least break even.

I wonder if you can do friend matches.

I was going to add a friends code list to the OP but it looks like you have it covered, so I'll just add a link the spreadsheet instead.

Hurry up, Amazon!

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I'm not the best either. I love to crash. haha[/quote]
I really like that in this and Excite Truck you at least get a star for crashing. It makes my son (and me) feel like he's winning even when he is doing really poorly. Although after just 30 minutes yesterday he was earning four times as many stars as he did his first time playing.

bread's done
Back