Excitebots: Trick Racing - Now racing weekly! Sign up!

Man, I love the visuals. The whole game has so much more personality and charm than Excite Truck-- which was already a great game.

I think some these tracks are from Excite Truck now that I think of it. They just have added Excitebots stuff in them.

[quote name='wii skiier']I really like that in this and Excite Truck you at least get a star for crashing. It makes my son (and me) feel like he's winning even when he is doing really poorly. Although after just 30 minutes yesterday he was earning four times as many stars as he did his first time playing.[/quote]

Yeah. You feel like you're making progress even if you're doing badly in the race.

EDIT: Super Excite mode unlocked! Sweet. There's new bots to purchase now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the races, Doomed. I think I'm going to save up to buy the Hornet bot.

It'd be great if we could get four other people.

You do not earn points from friend races, at least I didn't. It's really easy to game though. Check people's stats and use common sense. (If there's someone with 20,000, place a conservative bet of 100 or 500 until you know how good they are)

I wish I got S rank in all of the races. Has anyone played 15 races with one bot?
It's gonna take forever to unlock the special paintjobs

[quote name='Doomed']You do not earn points from friend races, at least I didn't. It's really easy to game though. Check people's stats and use common sense. (If there's someone with 20,000, place a conservative bet of 100 or 500 until you know how good they are)

I wish I got S rank in all of the races. Has anyone played 15 races with one bot?
It's gonna take forever to unlock the special paintjobs
[/quote]

Hm. Well, I broke 7,000 from it. Is it because you were last place?

Yeah, you unlock a special paint job for them. The catch is that you have to buy it for 250,000 stars or by earning 25 S ranks with that bot. Artificially lengthening the game much? :bomb:

I do like it more than Mario Kart Wii, which is a good game all to itself.

However, there's much more in the way of skill than luck. Usually you cost yourself the race, and no one else. There's a lot of content, maybe some things that pad the longevity of the game unfairly, but most of it is fun to work towards. I like how stars are the currency of the game, you can bet them in online matches, and you can use them to buy new vehicles (which there's a lot of), color schemes, and icons to be displayed online. Speaking of which, online is terrific with no lag so far.

[quote name='sippycupz']So how are you guys liking ExciteBots so far? Better than Mario Kart Wii perhaps? I'm getting it this weekend[/quote]
As SuperPhillip said, no lag at all. I also prefer this to Mario Kart - I like Mario Kart and played the heck out of it and still play online occassionally, but Excite Bots is just so much more... fun.

If I can figure out how to not play it like a fucktard, I'll like this better. MKW was so gimmicky. This one is mostly skill, too. Although last night online with SuperPhillip, I was about to win (the only time) but I went over a miniscule ramp and turbo boosted very high up... :bomb:

[quote name='crunchewy']Ahhh. I need to get this game. I think I might pick it up this weekend so I can join in.[/QUOTE]

i may jump early too...

FYI, TRU will have, this Sunday, a b1 get 1 $20 off on $29.99 and higher Wii games, as per the deals posting. I'm thinking about picking up NPC Pikmin and Excitebots. $50+tax for both!

Yessss my copy finally shipped from Amazon. It won't be here till Monday, though. :cry:

I played some Excite Truck yesterday to get back in practice, and wow. One of my favorite things about the game is how even though I end up replaying courses tons of times while trying to get a better rank, it's not like other games where I think, great, I failed the race/mission and now I have to start it all over. It's more like wooo, time to play that one again!

Just saw that you can send replays and challenges to friends on your Wii list.
If they beat your challenge time, they earn whatever amount of stars you put.

Also, if you head straight into the pins each time at a good enough speed, the bowling mini-game is an easy way to rack up stars in single-player.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Just saw that you can send replays and challenges to friends on your Wii list.
If they beat your challenge time, they earn whatever amount of stars you put.
[/quote]
I just jumped on CAG to post this same thing! Doomed, do you want to also add a spot for console codes on your list, or should I just ask anyone who seems to be playing this actively if they want to exchange console codes? SuperPhillip? Want to beat my 297-star Bronze Kilimanjaro?

console code 8763 0522 8856 0730

I just popped the game in tonight. I really like it, but I'm a little disappointed that all the courses I've played so far seem recycled from ExciteTruck. I like the new trick mechanics though.

I've added my FC to the google spreadsheet and entered everyone's FC. I hope to play you guys online soon.

If it's like the Animal Crossing google speadsheet, anyone should be able to add fields to it. I added the CAG username field to that one, for example.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Is anyone free Friday night?

And, Doomed, I agree with wii skiier. Add an optional Wii FC for replays and challenges! :)[/quote]
I thought I was going to be free, but it looks like I had plans that got moved from Saturday to Friday. Which means I am now free Saturday night.

wjhard63 - at first I felt ripped-off when I saw the same location and similar tracks, but I quickly realized the key word there is similar. I now really appreciate the continuation of locations from Excite Truck and have yet to feel like I have already played a track to death or even recognize more than very small parts of it.

Last night I decided I loved the music in Excite Bots. I never listened to the music in Excite Truck because everyone railed about how terrible it was. I read similar comments about Bots, but I've been playing with the sound on instead of my own music and am really enjoying the endless and agressively happy Excite Bots music.

I'm a loser, so Tuesday-Saturday I'm free all day. Even though anyone could have added it, the spreadsheet has been updated.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmw2uL3EEye8G_km9prnmFQ

[quote name='wii skiier']
2. Once you get used to the controls they don't seem like so much work. You might be overdoing it too; subtle motions work pretty well. I'd say try playing drunk as it puts you in a more relaxed, Excite-friendly mode, but I think you're not old enough to drink legally if I recall. If that's the case, you should hire a hobo to sit next to you and get drunk while you play.[/quote]
:lol: Yeah, I can't drink legally for quite some time. I'm not really looking forward to it.

Going online now if any of you want to beat me...

How do I race against one of you if you are in a normal online race? Do I just go to friends and if your name is highlighted press 2 or something? I can't test because none of the three of you on my list appear to be online right now.

I'll be on after I pick up a new song from K.K.

I have a question. Can you just send an easy to challenge to a friend for X amount of stars, and abuse the system that way?

I don't understand how it works.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I'll be on after I pick up a new song from K.K.

I have a question. Can you just send an easy to challenge to a friend for X amount of stars, and abuse the system that way?

I don't understand how it works.[/quote]
Nor I. My FC is in the spreadsheet if anyone wants to try experimenting with like 100 point challenges.

I had NO idea that this was released. Hadn't heard a single thing about it!

I loved ET, but never picked it up. A friend and myself played the hell out of it long ago, and I never saw a good (cheap) price for it.

I'll probably plunk down $40 for it soon.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, TRU will have, this Sunday, a b1 get 1 $20 off on $29.99 and higher Wii games, as per the deals posting. I'm thinking about picking up NPC Pikmin and Excitebots. $50+tax for both![/QUOTE]

Damn you. I don't need to spend the money but that is a great idea pairing it up with Pikmin.

A word to the wise: all the "display" copies at my TRU said they were the Wii-Wheel included versions, and when I told the clerk I wanted one without the Wii-Wheel, she said they didn't have any. Good thing I'd already looked in the case behind the counter to confirm that they actually did have them. My brother in NC ran into the same thing; they told him they only got in the Wii-Wheel versions.

That brings up a good question for those who've played it - is this game better with the wheel? If so I'll get it with the wheel so we have a 3rd one, but otherwise I'll get game only. Either way I'm planning to stop at TRU tonight to pick this up, but may actually be pairing it with Golds Gym Cardio Workout at $9.99, rather then NPC Pikmin. Sort of a justification. :) Plus I like the shadow boxing in Wii Fit a lot, and GGCW is getting pretty good reviews, better from users.

[quote name='crunchewy']That brings up a good question for those who've played it - is this game better with the wheel? If so I'll get it with the wheel so we have a 3rd one, but otherwise I'll get game only. Either way I'm planning to stop at TRU tonight to pick this up, but may actually be pairing it with Golds Gym Cardio Workout at $9.99, rather then NPC Pikmin. Sort of a justification. :) Plus I like the shadow boxing in Wii Fit a lot, and GGCW is getting pretty good reviews, better from users.[/quote]

I actually prefer it without the wheel, but that could be because I got used to Excite Truck without the wheel. With all the tilting and minor angle adjustments in the air I find the wheel gets in the way more than helps. The difference really is pretty subtle though, and you can try it with the wheel you already have since the bundled wheel is $10 and you can geet the wheel separately for $10 anyway.

*edit* Since I know you have kids, I should mention that my son prefers the wheel because: 1) it's a wheel and 2) he doesn't give a crap about good landings because he is six.*edit*

*edit2* Just saw this on slickdeals - 2 pack of knock-off wheels for $3.99 shipped. They have the IR slot like the first party wheels, so I am actually ordering a set since we only have two wheels right now. What the hell. It's $4.
http://www.meritline.com/1-pack-wii-steering-wheel-039---p-33281.aspx
*edite2*

Having played both of your other possible choices, I'd probably recommend Gold's Gym over Pikmin. Pikmin is really well made, but just isn't that fun for me. Gold's Gym you have to work out and it's surprisingly fun.

Got it for $35 at Fry's the first week.

This is a great game. My stereo/receiver setup can't handle playing console and music audio simultaneously, unfortunately - and even if it could, why should I have to prepare both my CD player and my Wii whenever I boot up this game, when the original title did it all automatically just by pressing Start?

OK, so I got spoiled. What can I say.

Anyway, the default soundtrack is actually better than the generic crunchy rock soundtrack included with Excite Truck (thank goodness). So yeah, it's actually all right. It's kinda techno-goofy.

The turtle rocks. The first thing I bought was Forest Green color for the turtle, because I really wanted to drive around a green turtle. The red bars didn't bug (BUG, ha ha) me as much as I thought they might. If anything, the split-second timing on the yellow bars are much more obnoxious.

It's weird that I never picked up the first game until a couple of years after its initial release. Quite a few critics and gamers were lukewarm about it, but it's one of the most entertaining and over-the-top racing series I've played since Burnout.

If you don't own the original Excite Truck, and don't get all cranky (like me) about the absence of custom soundtracks, this is totally worth $40.

I used my Mario Kart wheel when I first booted up the game, just for kicks, but I ended up sticking with it. While the tilt control (a la Excite Truck) is just fine, the wheel is tons of fun.

I didn't end up picking this up last night, in part because I was too tired to play last night anyway, but mostly because I've been spending too much money of late. Still going to get it, but probably not until this weekend, and then from Gamestop since I have credit there (as opposed to TRU via b1g$20off1

Does anyone have any tips for red bars when using heavy bots? The light bots I can get the rhythm no problem, but most of the time with heavy bots I miss every spin no matter how closely I match the rotation of the bot around the bar or the sound. I use the sound on light bots and nail the spin every time.

Finally got this yesterday but haven't gotten to play it much. All I've done is the school cup so I could get my online info. The game is excellent so far, though -- still lots of fun and all the minigames just add to the franticness. The music is decent but I miss custom soundtracks.

Any tips for doing air spins? I had the motion down in Excite Truck but I can't pull them off in this. I'm using the wiimote control scheme.

[quote name='wii skiier']Does anyone have any tips for red bars when using heavy bots? The light bots I can get the rhythm no problem, but most of the time with heavy bots I miss every spin no matter how closely I match the rotation of the bot around the bar or the sound. I use the sound on light bots and nail the spin every time.[/quote]

Just watch the Wii remote prompt, and emulate that. It goes as fast/slow as you need to go.

[quote name='metaly']Finally got this yesterday but haven't gotten to play it much. All I've done is the school cup so I could get my online info. The game is excellent so far, though -- still lots of fun and all the minigames just add to the franticness. The music is decent but I miss custom soundtracks.

Any tips for doing air spins? I had the motion down in Excite Truck but I can't pull them off in this. I'm using the wiimote control scheme.[/quote]

Air spins are easy to pull off once you understand how they work. Do a turbo jump, and then hold up on the d-pad and the 1 button while you shake the Wii remote back and forth, left and right.

[quote name='metaly']
Any tips for doing air spins? I had the motion down in Excite Truck but I can't pull them off in this. I'm using the wiimote control scheme.[/quote]
I've found that a short, sharp 45-90 degree turn and then resetting the controller back to "0" positions works really well. For multiple turns I just go back to "0" and snap the remote each time.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Just watch the Wii remote prompt, and emulate that. It goes as fast/slow as you need to go.
[/quote]
This actually helped a lot - thanks! It hadn't occured to me that the image of the Wii Wheel was doing anything other than showing you the basic motion to perform.

There's a pretty good chance I will be online with the game for a few hours Friday night starting around 8pm PST. More people need to play this. I just added Metaly.

I finally got this game and so far it is awesome! I suck, at least given my performance in online races so far, but it's still super fun. Here is my friend code:

4339 9093 1497

Please add me. I'll see if I can add myself to the database and will add everyone in there.

EDIT: I've been using the wheel and like the control with that. I haven't tried just remote yet.

I am definitely loving this game and have to agree that it is more fun then Mario Kart Wii (not that MKW is a bad game.) I'm on the 3rd cup, or whatever they are called, now. It's a pretty challenging game, at least for me, yet not frustrating. There's lots of fun stuff in the game (such as hitting the soccer ball) and it gives a fantastic sense of speed and chaos. I also really love the idea that you can earn stars (to unlock stuff) by playing online too, not to mention the betting. Great stuff.

I added everyone in the database and put my own info there. Please add me! We should also plan some CAG races, yes?

[quote name='crunchewy']We should also plan some CAG races, yes?[/quote]
I think what made the Mario Kart Wii thread so successful was the Mario Kart Mondays. If enough people want to, I'd love to have a CAG Excitebots night. Just not on Mondays.

Needless to say, I'm all for it. One night that wouldn't work well for me is Wednesday. Other nights should be doable most of the time.

http://www.meetomatic.com/respond.php?id=F7I8JD

I found this website that supposedly helps organize these things. I deselected the Mondays when I won't be available, but didn't realize that would mean that you wouldn't be able to select it either. :oops:

I think with the lack of people here it wouldn't be difficult coming up with one night where we are all free.

I haven't had much time to play this but when I have it's been incredible. I'm only on the Excite gold cup but I've been going back to get an S on everything.

My only complaints:
1. No custom soundtracks (obviously)
2. I want extra stars for doing more than 1080-degree air spins!
3. Unlockables are out of control. Having to buy colors over again for each bot is overkill.

I'd be up for some group races (still haven't tried the online) but don't plan anything around me. Best weeknights would be Monday, Tuesday or Thursday around 7 Pacific.

I wouldnt mind playing sometime after this week is over. College Graduation this weekend then im free for some gaming.

bread's done
Back