Fable Anniversary - Out Feb. 4, 1st run copies w/ bonuses

Yeah this game got a lot of mixed reviews... Will throw it on the list of HD collections to get like Metal Gear.
If you are a big fan of all things Albion, it is definitely worth it. I only expected this to be a short term distraction, but I have really gotten into it over the past couple weeks. It clearly has its share of last-gen quirks, as Chubby pointed out, but once you get into it, the Fable charm is still there.

I agree with Sim.  It's a great game and remake.  Please don't take my post as a slam.  I think to get the most out of this one, you have to know what you are walking into.  Meaning, don't expect a complete experience on the same level as the brand new stuff coming out now.  But, yeah, if you are a fan of the franchise and especially if you've never played the original.....this is very much worth your time and money. 

If nothing else, just for the goofy Lionhead humor and the music.  Ah, the music.  I love these Fable games. 

Yeah aside from the mixed reviews there's a lot of positive ones from gamers so I was planning on picking it up. Just not right now, the very little gaming budget I have is going towards Titanfall lol.

Man...I am so mad at myself.  When I got to the arena, I knew about the "Are you not entertained?" achievement, but I got interrupted by something mid-match and exited the arena anyway,figuring I could go back and try to do it non-stop later in the game.  Last night I realized the arena is now locked to me.  Now I'll need a 2nd playthrough to get 100%.  Curses!

Maybe the arena opens up later on or post last boss?? Can anyone confirm?

I got this cheevo, but i like to 100% the Fable games and this would annoy me if I hadn't. The again, i bet you could get there quick if you focus on story progression quests only on the second playhrough.

That bites. I was sure to try to get that achievement as well. I'm probably not the smoothest Fable player so it took a lot of health potions but I got it. There are a lot of undead waves that work well for the 20+ combo and then using an ages potion achievement as well.

That's weird they lock you out? I thought you had to be champion of the arena for the rest of the story to progress?

That bites. I was sure to try to get that achievement as well. I'm probably not the smoothest Fable player so it took a lot of health potions but I got it. There are a lot of undead waves that work well for the 20+ combo and then using an ages potion achievement as well.

That's weird they lock you out? I thought you had to be champion of the arena for the rest of the story to progress?
No, I eventually completed the Arena quest, but I left and came back in later, so no achievement for me. :(

Oh, right. You can still complete it but it has to be one go for the achievement. That's why I was sure to stock up on potions lol.

I like that this included the TLC parts and lets you really get to the ending. I still can't believe how simple that boss fight is with slow time and berserk.

I have to say, the strategy guide is excellent. Its the perfect companion piece. I've looked at it after clearing an area to see if I missed anything or if could have done things differently.....all standard guide stuff. But what I love is that the Fable humor carries over into the text perfectly, it avoids spoilers, has a nice clear way of helping achievement hunters and, most importantly, has a great art section with interesting noyes on the making of the original game. I had no idea Molyneux really wasn't the driving vision for the game. I knew the Carter brothers were important, but I didn't know this was their baby. I wonder what they're doing now, since they're not with Lionhead any longer?

It's been forever, what's the best ways to make money in this game fast? I played the original legit over and over so this time I want to roll around rich as shit ASAP. I've just been doing the trophy house one where I decorate>sell>trophy retrieved> repeat trick but I recall there are much better ways.

Good grief this game is fun! I'm getting close to the end now so I took a break to go collectible hunting. This should be an easy 1000 gamer score except for those pub games.

There's no achievement, but today I fought Jack wearing a chicken hat and wielding a frying pan.  Just cause I could. 

I love Albion.

Its a very easy 985. The pub games are tough. I'm working on them now. Not undoable, but this particular achievement is a trial and error grind.

Just beat the game for another cool 1000 gamerscore.  Now I have 100% on Fable Anniversary, Fable II: Pub Games, Fable II and Fable III.  Only two away in Fable The Journey (currently at 930/1000) and two in Fable Heroes. 

This was such a good game.  Classic gaming with an HD gloss to it.  I might be an old fogey, but damn, they don't make games like they used to.  Sure, the end boss wasn't tough by any stretch of the imagination, but it was an end boss and the battle felt epic.  I doubt I'll go back to replay this one any time soon, but it's making me want to pop in Fable 2.  It was nice to see how the series started since I hadn't played through the game on the original Xbox.  I give it an official ChubbyNinja seal of approval and a 9 out of 10.   Because Albion.

Oh, and fans of avatar awards and gamerpic unlocks will appreciate this game.  I just unlocked a bunch of stuff!  :D/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having trouble getting more hobbe kills than Whisper at the Orchard Farm quest early on. She keeps swooping in and stealing my kill after I've already hit one a bunch of times. Is there a trick to it or should I just come back to that sidequest after I've leveled up a bit?

I tended to steal her kills, actually. I tried to not focus on one hobbe and kept jumping around whacking away at whatever one was in front of her.

I'm having trouble getting more hobbe kills than Whisper at the Orchard Farm quest early on. She keeps swooping in and stealing my kill after I've already hit one a bunch of times. Is there a trick to it or should I just come back to that sidequest after I've leveled up a bit?
Are you using any boasts that are hindering you? If so, try to restart and remove them. Also, this was my first Fable game, so I didn't understand the leveling up system until later in the game. I'll put this in spoilers in case you already know about this.

If you go to the Heroes Guild by the map area, the green platform allows you to level up...and only there. The green orbs collected from fallen enemies that you specifically kill can be used for any stat increase, red experience is from using physical attacks, yellow from using your ranged weapon (arrow or crossbow), and blue from using magic. When you hit enemies while not taking damage you'll notice the experience multiplier goes up, which applies to all amount of experience you get relative to those bars when those specific types of attack are used, similar to the Arkham games (I'm aware they're later than the original Fable, I'm just using a recent example). So you only get red experience when using a physical attack, yellow when using an archery attack and blue from a magic attack. These experience points can only be used for their specific stat increases. This means that if you hit more things with your sword, you'll probably have more red experience. This is okay, though, as the green experience is shared between stats, meaning that you can use any preferred attack, but just keep collecting the green orbs with a high multiplier to make sure you can spread your upgrades around. When used in combination, you can really get your experience high, and have a balanced amount for upgrades between them available.

If you're having trouble keeping the multiplier high, try using your ranged weapon, rolling away when possible to avoid the enemy attacks, and then hitting them with the charged attack. This will definitely help you get the crossbow experience up, while potentially helping you get the green experience up as well if you can keep the multiplier high when collecting green orbs. From this you now have to go back to the Heroes Guild, back to the green platform, and decide what you want to level up.

I always tended to level up Lighting and Mana Bar for the magic powers, as lighting, when leveled up, jumps from enemy to enemy when they are close together. Oddly, if you are zapping an enemy with lightning and they die, the lightning will move to another enemy, but only that one enemy and not others. You have to stop using it for a second, then repress the button for it to attack multiple targets. It also paralyzes enemies in their steps when used, so it's really useful for stopping crowds. Unfortunately, it won't keep you multiplier very high, but it is useful if you keep getting hit in crowds and want control the battle. In this case, it's great against Hobbes.

Also, did you unlock the better weapons during the initial training? If you get high scores in the sword or archery training you get a better weapon. Compared to weapons you'll unlock later they're very weak, but they're stronger than the initial weapons you're given.

And there is a part where you battle Hobbes and there is a tiny bridge between two small pieces of land. Try to know when the Hobbes will be on either side of the bridge, and cut them off from there. It's tight enough to keep Whisper from passing you. And if you have a heavy weapon that is swung wide it can be great for knocking the Hobbes from these spots as the cluster up while trying to cross the bridge.

So I just restarted this after stopping about a month ago, and I've got a few questions.

Are there any real differences in playing good or evil? I mean, different quests or anything?

Are there any quests I'll miss out on if I'm good rather than evil, and vice versa?

Is there any real way to track how much of the game I've completed, as far as stuff found and quests finished?

So I just restarted this after stopping about a month ago, and I've got a few questions.

Are there any real differences in playing good or evil? I mean, different quests or anything?

Are there any quests I'll miss out on if I'm good rather than evil, and vice versa?

Is there any real way to track how much of the game I've completed, as far as stuff found and quests finished?
The good and evil part is hard to explain without ruining the game. There are a few parts in the story where you can make different choices that will have some affect on what you may experience. Like, if you decide to do something evil at one of these points you may get access to a different weapon, gain more money, and/or even have to fight a former ally to the death as a result. Or, if you pick the good side, you might lose out on money, retain allies and not get the weapon, but get respect of people, and maybe more experience. It varies.

A big issue with the game is that regardless of your choices, things seem amiss. As before, if you are forced to kill an ally, you lose them from the game. Yet, and this is what's weird, even if you don't kill them, they usually are never seen again. More bizarre is that their absence is rarely explained, and even if it is explained it makes little sense. So, in hindsight, you might as well just kill them if you're trying to get through the game quickly, as it rarely has any consequence. It's disappointing.

There is a somewhat midpoint part where you can make a seemingly small, but actually big decision, and that can affect the game slightly. Having not read guides, I didn't realize how important the part was until I was forced with an ultimatum. I then went online, after having made my choice and read about how there are alternate decisions, and how each of these affect the game.

I know I'm being vague, but that's on purpose. From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any dramatic difference in most of the game, and your character behavior does little to influence the actual pivotal choices in the game. It's not like something like Mass Effect, where you need high levels of good or evil to get to make those choices. In this game, when you're faced with an in-game choice, you can usually tell which is good or bad. Those key choices can have influence on the narrative of the game, but usually the game experience remains the same regardless.

If you are really curious, you could always look online about what affects the game. It might ruin parts for you, but you can see which paths you might like to take. And don't forget that the game allows you multiple save slots, so you can try a decision, and if you don't like it revert to a previous save and see if you like the other choice(s) better.

Said to hell with this in favor of Final Fantasy X/X-2. I shall return to it in the summer most likely since the superior game will be eating away at what little time I get to play games as it is but I'll be sure to get back to this since I never got a chance to play TLC before.

Said to hell with this in favor of Final Fantasy X/X-2. I shall return to it in the summer most likely since the superior game will be eating away at what little time I get to play games as it is but I'll be sure to get back to this since I never got a chance to play TLC before.
FFX is a damn good game, so I can't fault you there. I loved X-2, as well (listened to the soundtrack the other day, in fact!). But, skipping this game is a mistake. Fable Anniversary is a gem of a game. I had such a blast playing it.

I forgot how cheap the AI was in the original Fable game lol. At the bandit camp atm and loving the stroll down nostalgia lane. With the use of the updates my freezing has stopped thankfully.

bread's done
Back