Factory Sealed Game, No Disc Inside?!?!

MasterSun1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
So I bought two copies of Condemned 2: Bloodshot :360: on clearance from Target here in Wilsonville, Oregon, back sometime in September. I ended up trading both of them to different traders from two different communities (one from CAG and the other from GameTZ.com). The one from GameTZ.com indicated he received it about 2 weeks ago. He contacted me yesterday and said he just opened it and there was no disc inside. I thought maybe he was lying for the fact that he only has 25 trades under his belt, whereas I have almost 300 unique trades on there.

However, I knew he wasn't lying because earlier today, Midriklogic, a user here on CAG, contacted me today and said the exact same thing. This trade was very recent.

So it seems that either that: somebody bought the 2 copies from Target originally, took out the discs, and somehow sealed them up to look FACTORY SEALED (even with a plastic tab for hanging the game) and returned them to Target, OR, the manufacturer screwed up, which I think is most likely.

How do I go about dealing with this situation with both traders? Honestly, I don't see how I'm accountable (not that anyone is holding me accountable currently) because it's sealed game and it seemed like there was a disc inside, although I don't take every sealed game and jiggle it around to make sure there is a disc, although I might do that from now on. The one from GameTZ.com said he's getting in contact with SEGA and indicated they would send him a disc, but I don't see why SEGA would just do that because somebody told them to....

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys.

As for what to do: nothing. You traded them sealed, in good faith. No reasonable way you could have known. Too bad for them, but not your fault, and it shouldn't be your problem. That said, I've had the same thing happen before. Ordered the Fantastic Four complete collection direct from the factory. Received it sealed with no disc inside. They did send me a replacement copy, so if it is a known issue for condemned 2, sega doing it is not so unlikely.

In my ten years of gutting thousands of games at Gamestop (I know I'm the devil), I've only encountered 2 instances of this happening. It's rare but it does happen.

You got me worried so i slit opened my LO because I was afraid it might be missing discs since the shrink wrap made it look poorly sealed. Fortunately, mines did have the discs.

If SEGA won't send them a replacement disc, you can go to Target with the games and receipt and ask for an exchange. I bought a Rock band SE bundle that didn't come with a Mic. I told them about the situation and they refunded me. I think what they're going to do is send it back to the manufacturer anyway.

This is also a known issue when buying clearance at Target. Apparently thieves, employees, or someone have a method for removing the discs from Target clearance game cases.

I never send out stuff sealed... it's just too easy to get screwed.

If it's worth a lot of money, I do the good old case shaking trick.

I would have never thought I would have to be so cautious with sealed games and have to "shake" each one. I have never done that in my life. In my 9+ years of trading, this is the first time where a sealed game has been missing something, other than a copy of Mortal Kombat Trilogy N64 I bought brand new at TRU that didn't have a manual. I bet it was a reshrinked copy.

see games now days don't even have the seal such as Wii and PS3 games, its impossible to tell as some of them come with the funny shrink wrapping around them

I bought a copy of Arctic Tale Wii at Target several months back. When I opened the case, the disc was missing. The lady at CS asked me alot questions when I went to get a refund (1 week after purchase) but she ended up giving me my money back ($8.10 :lol:).

Now I always shake the case to make sure the disc is there (especially at Target). If you hold the case (PS3 or 360) to the light and look through the top or bottom, you can kind of tell if the disc is in there. Bought my copy of Condemned 2 at Target about 3 weeks ago. I'll have to check later on to see if the disc is in there.

I bought Theif Deadly Shadows at CC on clearance once and did not open the game for a few weeks. When I finally cracked it open, there was a CDR inside labeled '50 Cent'.

I had to indure almost an hour wait when I brought the game in, was denied for some reason (the manager was not around at the time I came in), proceeded to call the Customer Service toll free number & received a call back from the manager next day. After enduring all this crap, I logically told them if I was trying to rip them off, why would I waste an hour and a half of my time to get another $12 game. Another reason why CC is on the brink of oblivion :p

[quote name='Joe Fongul']I bought Theif Deadly Shadows at CC on clearance once and did not open the game for a few weeks. When I finally cracked it open, there was a CDR inside labeled '50 Cent'.

I had to indure almost an hour wait when I brought the game in, was denied for some reason (the manager was not around at the time I came in), proceeded to call the Customer Service toll free number & received a call back from the manager next day. After enduring all this crap, I logically told them if I was trying to rip them off, why would I waste an hour and a half of my time to get another $12 game. Another reason why CC is on the brink of oblivion :p[/quote]

did u keep the 50 cent cd? :lol:

that's pretty crazy o__0

[quote name='CaoPi']see games now days don't even have the seal such as Wii and PS3 games, its impossible to tell as some of them come with the funny shrink wrapping around them[/QUOTE]

Also I wish they kept using those security seals, it's not always due to a scam. Sometimes, they leave the factory without a disc supposedly.

I became really careful when I started seeing a few CAGs complain about not getting discs with their brand new games way back when.

I once bought a copy of Haven PS2 at Target for like $5 and it had no disc in it. Ever since then I shake all games that I pick up off a shelf. It is rare, but it does happen.

MjC

the same damn thing happen to me. i bought conquer for the xbox on clearence at sears couple years ago. when i finally got around to opening it there was a blank cd and newspaper in it i was pissed but had been a year since i bought it

You would think that games would simply come in a see-through case to eliminate this problem. The slipcover could be designed in such a way that you could see the disc.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You would think that games would simply come in a see-through case to eliminate this problem. The slipcover could be designed in such a way that you could see the disc.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the good things about the PS3 and PSP cases, you can kinda see inside the case to make sure the disc is in there though you still can't tell if it's the right game or just a blank CD.

This happened to me last month. I bought Wall-e for PS3 on clearance at Target. When I opened it, it had a blank CD-R. I brought it back to Target and the manager let me return it without any problem.

It's pretty ridiculous. Seems like Target clearance titles are big offenders? After all, they are free to grab off the shelf as they're not in the display case.

[quote name='MasterSun1']It's pretty ridiculous. Seems like Target clearance titles are big offenders? After all, they are free to grab off the shelf as they're not in the display case.[/quote]

People around here are constantly stealing stuff from the Target clearance area. Of course, it's Jersey City, so no real surprise.

[quote name='Rozz']I think that you should refund them or contact Sega about the matter.

For the record this happened to me with Neo Contra before.[/quote]definitely this, imo. you did nothing wrong and i completely agree.. but both traders ended up with the games supposedly have the disc inside, not you. i would get a refund from the manufacturer and tell them your story.

I have had completely brand new game that was a new release not have a disk inside. Im guessing it was a manufacturing glitch because the game was shrink wrapped and had the 360 authenticity seal.

This is why I open games before leaving the store.

[quote name='MasterSun1']I would have never thought I would have to be so cautious with sealed games and have to "shake" each one. I have never done that in my life. In my 9+ years of trading, this is the first time where a sealed game has been missing something, other than a copy of Mortal Kombat Trilogy N64 I bought brand new at TRU that didn't have a manual. I bet it was a reshrinked copy.[/QUOTE]

We get this topic ever once and awhile on CAG. Just because you shake your game doesn't mean the game is in there. It could be an AOL cd for all you know.

My friend worked security at Target and said this happend all the time. People buy a game, pull the disk out, return it with an AOL cd.

OPEN YOUR GAMES AT THE STORE!

I've said it so many times here I have to yell it. I don't care if you love your stack of unopend games, just open them and make sure there are actually games in there.

[quote name='MasterSun1']So I bought two copies of Condemned 2: Bloodshot :360: on clearance from Target here in Wilsonville, Oregon, back sometime in September. I ended up trading both of them to different traders from two different communities (one from CAG and the other from GameTZ.com). The one from GameTZ.com indicated he received it about 2 weeks ago. He contacted me yesterday and said he just opened it and there was no disc inside. I thought maybe he was lying for the fact that he only has 25 trades under his belt, whereas I have almost 300 unique trades on there.

However, I knew he wasn't lying because earlier today, Midriklogic, a user here on CAG, contacted me today and said the exact same thing. This trade was very recent.

So it seems that either that: somebody bought the 2 copies from Target originally, took out the discs, and somehow sealed them up to look FACTORY SEALED (even with a plastic tab for hanging the game) and returned them to Target, OR, the manufacturer screwed up, which I think is most likely.

How do I go about dealing with this situation with both traders? Honestly, I don't see how I'm accountable (not that anyone is holding me accountable currently) because it's sealed game and it seemed like there was a disc inside, although I don't take every sealed game and jiggle it around to make sure there is a disc, although I might do that from now on. The one from GameTZ.com said he's getting in contact with SEGA and indicated they would send him a disc, but I don't see why SEGA would just do that because somebody told them to....

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys.[/quote]

I bought the original Condemned at Wal-Mart. It was obviously factory sealed and wrapped. I got out to the parking lot and opened it, and there was no disc inside. Since then, I ALWAYS open my games at the store. I did that with Halo 3 collectors edition, and was able to exchange the scratched up disc before leaving the store. I've also bought a few of the el-cheapo dvd's at Wal-Mart that didn't have discs in them.

Basically, it is entirely possible that the game left the factory with no disc in the package. That happened to me on Condemned, but I was lucky enough to have not left the parking lot yet.

[quote name='KingDox']We get this topic ever once and awhile on CAG. Just because you shake your game doesn't mean the game is in there. It could be an AOL cd for all you know.

My friend worked security at Target and said this happend all the time. People buy a game, pull the disk out, return it with an AOL cd.

OPEN YOUR GAMES AT THE STORE!

I've said it so many times here I have to yell it. I don't care if you love your stack of unopend games, just open them and make sure there are actually games in there.[/QUOTE]

A consumer should NEVER, EVER have to worry about opening a brand new product and not getting what he paid for.

[quote name='MasterSun1']A consumer should NEVER, EVER have to worry about opening a brand new product and not getting what he paid for.[/quote]

absolutely right. Sometimes I buy games and keep them sealed because I don't have time to play them, opening the game depreciates its value. Or if I'm helping others out by picking up a game for them, obviously you can't open their game. If you buy it online and return/exchange it in store it'd be the same thing as never opening it in the parking lot.

i picked up lego star wars last week at circuit city on clearance. i noticed that the xbox seal sticker was cut although it was shrink wrapped. i walked over to customer service, opened it up, and saw scratches on the disc. i walk over and tell the lady that it had been opened before, showed her the scratches, and grabbed another one.

i wonder what kind of problem i would have had if i had walked outside the store and opened it in the car instead...

[quote name='MasterSun1']A consumer should NEVER, EVER have to worry about opening a brand new product and not getting what he paid for.[/quote]

You're absolutely correct about that, but the sad fact of the matter is that this thread proves that we have to with valuable purchases. Happily this hasn't happened to me with selling anything online, but if it did I'd just to have to take the word of the buyer due to the problems described here.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate that this is a possibility you have to consider when buying games, though I would say a rather rare happening. I've never once encountered a sealed case without a game, and I'd say I've bought at least a few hundred games in my life. Of course, now that I say this, my next case will be empty.

Also, I think this thread has finally justified GameStop's gutted games policy!!!

[quote name='KSHLove']absolutely right. Sometimes I buy games and keep them sealed because I don't have time to play them, opening the game depreciates its value. Or if I'm helping others out by picking up a game for them, obviously you can't open their game. If you buy it online and return/exchange it in store it'd be the same thing as never opening it in the parking lot.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm got a huge back log of unopened games and while I checked almost all of them for the disc inside it's hard to hear it with some games if they're a tight fit in the case, like a 2 disc game with a thick manual in a regular sized case. What I'm more worried about are the games which have a fake disc inside.

And for cart based games, it's harder to check. There's too much rattling inside and for DS games, you can't hear anything as the game's stuck in place.

I bought madden awhile back and the disc inside was cracked (and even had a piece of tape on it). The manager at gamestop exchanged it, but it sucked because i had to wait for the manager to actually come to the store (which required waiting a few days)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, it's really unfortunate that this is a possibility you have to consider when buying games, though I would say a rather rare happening. I've never once encountered a sealed case without a game, and I'd say I've bought at least a few hundred games in my life. Of course, now that I say this, my next case will be empty.

Also, I think this thread has finally justified GameStop's gutted games policy!!![/quote]

My one local Kmart came up with a rather unique and kind of 'redneck' way to prevent people from slitting the plastic and just sneaking the disc out. They wrap clear plastic packing tape all the way around the game about four to six times.

The local Targets have even stopped putting the clearance games out on an endcap to let people look at them anymore, due to probably the same reason.

But, to me, Gamestop's policy is still asinine, since TRU gets spare cases(or at least the cover art) from game manufacturers to put out.

So, why can't they use some cases they already have on hand and ask for copies of the cover art?

But this has me worried about whether or not my copy of Psychonauts for Xbox(as well as .hack Redemption and MUA for Xbox) I have still sealed is an AOL disc or not.

This thread had me a little concerned, so when returning another item at Target, I brought in my shrinkwrapped Condemned 2 (purchased on clearance a while back) and had Guest Services open it. Disc ahoy!

If it's a clearance title at Target, I'll usually tap the bottom of the case a few times.. you can usually either hear or feel vibrations bouncing off the disc (as long as you keep your finger on the case when you tap it, of course (yeah, that's what she said)).

[quote name='Scorch']If it's a clearance title at Target, I'll usually tap the bottom of the case a few times.. you can usually either hear or feel vibrations bouncing off the disc (as long as you keep your finger on the case when you tap it, of course (yeah, that's what she said)).[/quote]

Wow, MacGyver's a CAG!

It's amusing, I usually flip the case one way and then the other while listening/feeling for *nothing* - because if I hear a big clunk, I'm pretty sure the disc is loose and likely scratched (think Halo 3 Limited Ed.).

[quote name='Scorch']If it's a clearance title at Target, I'll usually tap the bottom of the case a few times.. you can usually either hear or feel vibrations bouncing off the disc (as long as you keep your finger on the case when you tap it, of course (yeah, that's what she said)).[/quote]

[quote name='gantt']Wow, MacGyver's a CAG!

It's amusing, I usually flip the case one way and then the other while listening/feeling for *nothing* - because if I hear a big clunk, I'm pretty sure the disc is loose and likely scratched (think Halo 3 Limited Ed.).[/quote]

The only problem with this method is the thief now replace the actual game disc with a blank cd. It happened to me twice (1 at Kmart and 1 at Target), so if it's a $ 5 game, just open it right away to be safe.

That's my method too, though when I finally opened one of my $5 Kmart clearance titles from a while back(The Warriors for Xbox) the game had a scratch on it as soon as I opened it.

Of course, I've also heard the telltale clunk of a game dvd that's just flopping around inside the case. I steer clear of those at all costs.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Of course, I've also heard the telltale clunk of a game dvd that's just flopping around inside the case. I steer clear of those at all costs.[/quote]

My problem is, some games come with ginormous instruction booklets that also make a clunk.

I should be able to tell the difference between a disc clunk and a booklet clunk, but hey, I'm no MacGyver.

bread's done
Back