Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Game is still fun and fits my busy work/class schedule.

I hate how buggy the game seems so far. I've already got stuck (literally stuck) in two areas. One time I got stuck in a while doing the "Those" side quest. The other time I got stuck between two different level rocks near the Anchorage Memorial.

Had to restart my last save because of it.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Dogmeat dieing may be realistic, but honestly...

Is anyone out there going to be playing have him die and then not reload?

What they should have done was make is so there were multiple places where dogs will spawn. Only one dog in the whole game that befriends you is wack.[/QUOTE]

I did. After reloading a couple of times, I figured it wasn't worth it saving his dumb ass. If he wants to charge headfirst into a Deathclaw then good luck.

[quote name='Kendal']I think they replenish over time.[/quote]

if that's about tranquility lane, i'm pretty sure
it's a debate he runs through, when/if you talk to the crazy scientist guy after killing everyone via the computer thing he says he's basically putting them out of their misery. and if you do it that way you get no bad karma, killing all the residents with your bare hands will get you bad karma

You know what's missing from this game? Groin shots. In Fallouts 1 and 2, you could target the junk, which would usually knock enemies down, or unconscious. (You could also target the eyes for massive damage, and blinding opponents)

One other minor quibble: I think Bethesda missed the point of Tagging skills. In 1 and 2, in character creation, you tag a skill, you get a bonus to the skill, same as 3. When you level up in 1 or 2, a tagged skill means that every skill point you allocate adds 2 percent (instead of one, natch). Like I said, minor thing.

I'm seriously digging the hell out of this game.

[quote name='Toaster Driver']i usually just tell dogmeat to wait at vault 101 for me to come back...besides the fact that i already have another..."companion" with me ;)[/quote]

I didn't know you could do that.

Maybe I will go get him after all.

[quote name='yukafls']Where is that town???[/quote]

South of Megaton and west of the Nuka-Cola Plant. I still need to get inside the basement of one the houses and the shack out back... I have a general hunch of what's going on in the town, but I want to see it for myself ;).

Oh, and when do I learn how to use the brotherhood of steel armor, I found a really strong version of it at Fort Constantine

[quote name='yukafls']Oh, and when do I learn how to use the brotherhood of steel armor, I found a really strong version of it at Fort Constantine[/quote]

When you're able to enter the Citadel during the main quest.

Wow, those super human behemoth's are ___holes. Took me two mininukes to drop the caged one at the mill, is there any other weapon that'll hurt them? My rated 70 shotgun with a critical only took down a single sliver of health on it.

Anyone know where to get more ammo for the fat man? Guess I'll use it exclusively for those.

There are 71 mini-nukes total in the game in different locations. I Found the Super Mutant Behemoths (meaning the big ass ones) not that hard, more so just hide under a building or doorway and unloaded my mini-gun into it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Wow, those super human behemoth's are ___holes. Took me two mininukes to drop the caged one at the mill, is there any other weapon that'll hurt them? My rated 70 shotgun with a critical only took down a single sliver of health on it.

Anyone know where to get more ammo for the fat man? Guess I'll use it exclusively for those.[/quote]Get an ally such as Fawkes or Jericho and sit back and watch the show - especially Fawkes - because allies are usually pretty strong against tough enemies.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Wow, those super human behemoth's are ___holes. Took me two mininukes to drop the caged one at the mill[/quote]

that one was such a joke! if you turn around there's a little shed you can run under.. run under that and just keep cranking off shots, the guy can't get to you and you have no danger of being hurt at all.

Funny enough, I had the female Brotherhood of Steel member with me at the time. The cage opened up without me initiating it and my dumbass teammate ran in there, got cornered and kept getting punched in the face, even after I had told her to stick to ranged attacks. Only time she got her ass kicked like that, had to reload my save and tell her to wait way back because of that and the pathfinding at the rocks around the mill being terrible.

How long did it take you to kill him that way, Scorch?

When I fought the Behemoth at the mill, I must have shot more than 20 missiles into his face before he went down. Those bastards can take a beating.

So encountered a bug today in the Big Town quest

So after you bring back Red and the dude, they ask how to defend themselves. So my character had the science answer with having them build robots. Everyone goes to the junkyard in the town, and no robots...ever!

I reloaded after a while, but was sad because I saved in the middle of the station and took my time sneaking around in there. So in the end I just had to defend the town for them.

[quote name='dabebop']So encountered a bug today in the Big Town quest

So after you bring back Red and the dude, they ask how to defend themselves. So my character had the science answer with having them build robots. Everyone goes to the junkyard in the town, and no robots...ever!

I reloaded after a while, but was sad because I saved in the middle of the station and took my time sneaking around in there. So in the end I just had to defend the town for them.
[/QUOTE]

I told them the guns answer... trained them and all. I came back to check on them 5 hours later and they were all slaughtered. Guess either answer is screwed, but at least I got the achievement.

I just started this game last night and am about an hour in it...is it just my Samsung DLP or are the characters really dark at a lot of times? I mean, when I'm talking to someone, a lot of times their faces are just pitch black. My tv has never had this problems with any other games or movies, so I'm thinking it's just the game. Anyone else having this problem?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']
I told them the guns answer... trained them and all. I came back to check on them 5 hours later and they were all slaughtered. Guess either answer is screwed, but at least I got the achievement.
[/QUOTE]
Did any Mutties attack after you had trained them? I haven't came back to Big Town since then, but it didn't look like the Small Arms choice was screwed. (killed the Mutties and saved the town)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Get an ally such as Fawkes or Jericho and sit back and watch the show - especially Fawkes - because allies are usually pretty strong against tough enemies.[/quote]

Fawkes is a beast. After I beat the game, I pulled out my Experimental MIRV and fired it at Fawkes feet and he lived. Granted with only one bar of health left, but he survived 8 mini-nukes at the same time with my 100 Big Guns skill giving the Experimental MIRV 1600 damage or so.

He's pretty good at tanking Super Mutant Behemoths. However when I went after them while I had him, they had a tendancy to knock him down non-stop. Regardless I had 100 Small Arms at the time and just spammed my Combat Shotgun to perserve my Mini Nuke ammo for no particular reason. Took around 25 shotgun shots and Fawkes to take one down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukafls']damn, I think that is my next part. I am at the part where I have to
go to Vault 112
[/quote]Haha, yeah that is the part.

[quote name='yukine']Nope, only if I'm talking to them in a dark place which makes sense.[/quote]

The first time it happened was in the very beginning when I was (huge spoiler alert!!!)
talking to Amata at the Birthday Party
. Then again, when I entered
Megaton or whatever and talked to the guy about the bomb or whatever

Not sure how I feel about this game. I have barely played it, but not sure how I feel about it. I feel the game may be TOO cumbersome for me. Ialso shot someone at Megaton and now all the civilians shoot me and I was in an endless loop of getting killed.

[quote name='doubledown']Ialso shot someone at Megaton and now all the civilians shoot me and I was in an endless loop of getting killed.[/QUOTE]Visit the other settlements, level/gear up, then show Megaton a thing or two about respecting visitors. :lol:

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']SO when/how do you get these ally's to join you? I'm about 10 hours in, Level 10 and I haven't met them yet.[/QUOTE]If you got negative Karma you can talk to Jericho in Megaton and try to get him to join you (wanders around, mostly at the pub Gob works at).

Not sure about the other NPCs.

[quote name='eswat']If you got negative Karma you can talk to Jericho in Megaton and try to get him to join you (wanders around, mostly at the pub Gob works at).

Not sure about the other NPCs.[/quote]

Dogmeat is anytime you're out of Vault 101. (He's not a "party member" in the same way everyone else is and is obtainable by all karma levels)

Fawkes is possible near the end of the main quest chain with Good Karma characters.

There's a traveling guy who makes robots. He'll give you a robot if the robot likes you, which I think requires Neutral Karma.

[quote name='Draekon']There's a traveling guy who makes robots. He'll give you a robot if the robot likes you, which I think requires Neutral Karma.[/QUOTE]Yeah. At the very least you can't get it with Good karma.

Sucks. That robot looked awesome too. :cry:

[quote name='eswat']
Did any Mutties attack after you had trained them? I haven't came back to Big Town since then, but it didn't look like the Small Arms choice was screwed. (killed the Mutties and saved the town)
[/quote]
I said I would protect them, and only 3 mutties came. 2 had sledge hammers and 1 with a hunting rifle.
not that much of a challenge.

[quote name='Draekon']Dogmeat is anytime you're out of Vault 101. (He's not a "party member" in the same way everyone else is and is obtainable by all karma levels)

Fawkes is possible near the end of the main quest chain with Good Karma characters.

There's a traveling guy who makes robots. He'll give you a robot if the robot likes you, which I think requires Neutral Karma.[/quote]
I need to find this robot guy!

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I need to find this robot guy![/quote]
I found him outside the front of the RobCo Factory. It's a quest you have to do to complete the Survival Guide.

You can also get Charon from the bar at Underworld. He's a bitch though... got killed by a giant radscorpion in 30 seconds.

I need to find this Fawkes guy. He seems like a beast of a follower.

[quote name='knightsdwn']You can also get Charon from the bar at Underworld. He's a bitch though... got killed by a giant radscorpion in 30 seconds.

I need to find this Fawkes guy. He seems like a beast of a follower.[/QUOTE]

I got Charon, and until he died I kept getting a glitch where he'd disappear until I reloaded.

I found the dog, but.......He kinda got killed when I ran into a deathclaw and giant radscorpian at the same time.

I finally reached level 20 and got the explorer perk, I now know where all locations are. I also got the schematics for a Deathclaw Gauntlet and a Dart Gun. Do I only get 20 perks or is there a way to get more???

Anybody know if you can pick the "here and now" perk at level 20 and get another round of skill points to dish out?

I'd guess not, but it would be cool if you could

[quote name='saddamizer']Anybody know if you can pick the "here and now" perk at level 20 and get another round of skill points to dish out?

I'd guess not, but it would be cool if you could[/QUOTE]

Nope.

bread's done
Back