Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

GNR Quest Help:
I went to Rivet City before finishing the Following in his Footsteps quest so I was never asked to go to GNR to finish that part of the quest. Could someone please give me some pretty good directions on where to find Three Dog (is that his name?) so I can begin the GNR stuff.

I discovered vault 112 just exploring the world. I haven't taken a step beyond talking to Moriorty about my dad. I went into the chamber and entered that other world, but after finding out what was what I just loaded up a previous save and skipped going to it.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']GNR Quest Help:
I went to Rivet City before finishing the Following in his Footsteps quest so I was never asked to go to GNR to finish that part of the quest. Could someone please give me some pretty good directions on where to find Three Dog (is that his name?) so I can begin the GNR stuff.
[/quote]

Did you talk to Dr. Li in Rivet city? (If you haven't, don't).

[quote name='Chase']I can't... stop... playing...[/quote]I know, I haven't had this many late nites since my CoD4 online marathons last year.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I have. Am I screwed on the GNR quest?[/quote]

Yeah, that's a known bug. It ends the quest, blocks off GNR, and disables the achievement. I highly recommend reloading an old save.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yeah, that's a known bug. It ends the quest, blocks off GNR, and disables the achievement. I highly recommend reloading an old save.[/QUOTE]

Balls.

Well it's early enough in the game that I could start over playing evil and get it relatively fast.

Any other known bugs like that?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Balls.

Well it's early enough in the game that I could start over playing evil and get it relatively fast.

Any other known bugs like that?[/quote]

Tons.

Go here and check the quests as you get them (there are spoilers though, so be careful. Just skim the sections for any mention of bugs or quest skipping). There are some game crippling bugs you need to watch out for. They're rare, but serious. This site is constantly being updated, and I have run into a few bugs that haven't been logged yet. If you find anymore that aren't on this site, I recommend editing some of the articles to warn others.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I know, I haven't had this many late nites since my CoD4 online marathons last year.[/quote]

There's just so much to do. :joystick:

Edit: Other than VATS not adjusting to opponents moving closer, I have yet to encounter any bugs or experience any freezes. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Mojimbo']Nah, it's in the Museum of History, upstairs. It's hanging mounted on the wall next to a desk.[/quote]

Cool, I am hunting for it right now. I did find an Action Abe Action Figure, SCORE:D:D

EDIT
fuck Yeah, found the gun. Now I am gonna be killin ghouls abe lincole style

The little pip boy guy on the weapons screen is funny when you equip the gun

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yeah, that's a known bug. It ends the quest, blocks off GNR, and disables the achievement. I highly recommend reloading an old save.[/quote]

Explain this now! What do I need to avoid?!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Explain this now! What do I need to avoid?![/quote]

If you're on that quest, do not talk to Dr. Li in Rivet city before going to the GNR studio. It ends the quest, you don't get the achievement, and you can't go to the GNR studio, which also eliminates another achievement because you can't take part in a certain battle outside of GNR.

I repeat, I highly recommend everyone check this site for bugs before doing any quests. This game has a lot of bad bugs. Hopefully they'll release a patch soon.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yeah, that's a known bug. It ends the quest, blocks off GNR, and disables the achievement. I highly recommend reloading an old save.[/quote]

Are you certain is actually disables the achievement? I talked to Dr. Li and skipped along the main story that way accidently but went back and talked to Three Dogs at GNR and still got the achievement "Following in His Footsteps". Then I completed the GNR quest and went back to side quests and exploration.

Granted I do have the PC version, but it seems odd a bug like that would differ through platforms.

[quote name='yukafls']That battle kicks ass, be armed[/quote]

I took it down in one shot with a mini-nuke. I was glad I killed it, but it was a little anticlimactic.

[quote name='Draekon']Are you certain is actually disables the achievement? I talked to Dr. Li and skipped along the main story that way accidently but went back and talked to Three Dogs at GNR and still got the achievement "Following in His Footsteps". Then I completed the GNR quest and went back to side quests and exploration.

Granted I do have the PC version, but it seems odd a bug like that would differ through platforms.[/quote]

It actually does differ through platforms, strangely enough. It even differs from disk to disk in some cases.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I took it down in one shot with a mini-nuke. I was glad I killed it, but it was a little anticlimactic.[/quote]

Ha, your lucky I didnt have the Fat Man at that time. I just used my guns and hid near the building

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']If you're on that quest, do not talk to Dr. Li in Rivet city before going to the GNR studio. It ends the quest, you don't get the achievement, and you can't go to the GNR studio, which also eliminates another achievement because you can't take part in a certain battle outside of GNR.

I repeat, I highly recommend everyone check this site for bugs before doing any quests. This game has a lot of bad bugs. Hopefully they'll release a patch soon.[/quote]I did it the other way around:
talked to Dr. Li and then found three dog and told him I'd help him out anyway even though I knew where my father was just to contribute to the "good fight." Also, participated in that battle before getting into GNR.
I still got both achievements as well. It's a pretty odd bug then.

You can
(I think) talk to Moriarty in Megaton and he'll tell you he went to GNR (your pipboy will then show you how to get there) It's pretty confusing since you have to go through underground tunnels and such . Depending on your speech skill/charisma he'll just tell you or you need to pay him 100 caps.

[quote name='Ma12kez']You can
(I think) talk to Moriarty in Megaton and he'll tell you he went to GNR (your pipboy will then show you how to get there) It's pretty confusing since you have to go through underground tunnels and such . Depending on your speech skill/charisma he'll just tell you or you need to pay him 100 caps.
[/QUOTE]
You can also go to Moriarty's backroom and use his terminal if you don't care about Karma.

But make sure to make A LOT of room in your inventory before you head out to GNR.

[quote name='yukafls']Shit, was I supposed to kill smiling jack[/quote]

It doesn't effect any quests, so it's all up to you whether you really want to or not. I believe he holds a unique shotgun or something that's pretty nice though. At least I don't remember him from any quests.

He's the guy at
Evergreen Mills, right? That raider town. If so, then definitely not.

Ok, good cause I just smoked his ass. I got the terrible shot gun but it is like the combat one except it does a little more damage. Kinda like sydneys SMG you get at the capital building

Last edited by a moderator:
What's teh weiredest/oddest place you have come across in your travels?

There's a bunch of odd small little ghost town due North. Always find it odd running into random people up there with small little outposts.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']What's teh weiredest/oddest place you have come across in your travels?[/QUOTE]Megaton. I can kill half the population without the nuke, leave, come back a day later, and be greeted with open arms.

Not trying to act trollish, but I'm just realizing now how little consequence Fallout 3 offers. For a game that lists "The Power of Choice" as a main feature, I expected graceful degradations, not cop outs.

Anyone got any tips on how or where to find Oasis? I've found the Clifftop Shacks, but can't find Oasis for the life of me.

if you go north west of those shack you will reach it. It is in the middle of the huge rock area, but don't try to climb the rocks, there will be a path that will take you through them at the base of them

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']If you're on that quest, do not talk to Dr. Li in Rivet city before going to the GNR studio. It ends the quest, you don't get the achievement, and you can't go to the GNR studio, which also eliminates another achievement because you can't take part in a certain battle outside of GNR.

I repeat, I highly recommend everyone check this site for bugs before doing any quests. This game has a lot of bad bugs. Hopefully they'll release a patch soon.[/quote]
I went to her, then found Three Dog and still got the achievement....

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I took it down in one shot with a mini-nuke. I was glad I killed it, but it was a little anticlimactic.[/quote]
I used a laser rifle.
The last shot fired to kill it was a crit. and vaporized it into a pile of ash!
Fallout 3 = WIN

Has anyone got the Mysterious Stranger to come out when fighting a Behemoth?

I don't know if it would even work, but I think it would be an awesome way to take one down: get a crappy weapon, do one shot in VATS with the lowest possible hit %, miss, then repeat.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Where exactly is Three Dog?[/QUOTE]

I assume he is in GNR since thats his radio station and I guess he broadcasts from there. I could be wrong since I have yet to do the first quest of the storyline.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Where exactly is Three Dog?[/quote]
Well, you have to take a metro to there.
I think you can put the map marker to GNR and then it will direct you to where the metro is.

Have any of you been to Vault 106? Directions:

Almost directly northwest of Vault 101. Not very far away either.

are most of you playing on normal? because many comments suggest that you kill things easily. I played through on hard my first time and it was no walk in the park... I'm currently working on very hard but with good karma this time.

first time i played on normal with small guns and it was perfect but second playthrough with melee weapons was easy i was killing things with one shot i think melee weapons are overpowered

i was using the shiskabob

[quote name='Slate']Have any of you been to Vault 106? Directions:

Almost directly northwest of Vault 101. Not very far away either.
[/quote]

Vault 106 was pretty freaky.

The Dunwich Building had it's moments too...

I went to this building(not on map) by grayditch called the L.O.B. Exec., something or other I don't remember, but it was a corporate building. Anyway I went to the CEO office and found a chinese pistol that like fires 10 mil rounds but they catch the enemy on fire also.

Also, if you go to Dave State or whatever it is and steal his rifle from the safe(Old Painless) it is a kick ass .32 hunting rifle that fires faster than the normal one.

Goddamn, this game is stopping me from playing Gears of War 2 because I want to get the most out of this game (plus in my head it's already been settled, Fallout 3 >>> GoW2). Though FINALLY found all the damn side quests and now I'm pissed at myself for drinking those Nuka Cola Quantum.

[quote name='yukine']He is pretty hard to miss, he is
upstairs in the GNR building.
[/QUOTE]

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I know he is in the GNR building, but becuase of the glitch I missed the quest so I don't know where the GNR builing is either.

[quote name='bardockkun']Goddamn, this game is stopping me from playing Gears of War 2 because I want to get the most out of this game (plus in my head it's already been settled, Fallout 3 >>> GoW2). Though FINALLY found all the damn side quests and now I'm pissed at myself for drinking those Nuka Cola Quantum.[/quote]

Whoa, You can get addicted to it? I've been addicted 3 times in the game so far, Didn't drink that kind of cola much though.

Also, to those who have been to Vault 106,
Is there a way open the door that requires a lockpick skill of 50 any other way?

bread's done
Back