Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Finally beat it today, I had a pretty bad addiction. Bought all these new games that were out and just could not stop playing Fallout 3. Now I have this feeling of accomplishment and also a feeling of sorrow for it being over. Now it is on to Fable 2. I really hope that after this experience I am not disappointed. I am gonna play through again as an evil assassin sometime in the future. Does anyone know if there has been talk of DLC? Best game of the year so far IMO.

I've played this game almost non stop since I got it. I bought gears of war 2 at the same time and have only played that with friends.
I'm at the part where you are in the Enclave compound.

[quote name='TruVisionary']I've played this game almost non stop since I got it. I bought gears of war 2 at the same time and have only played that with friends.
I'm at the part where you are in the Enclave compound.
[/quote]

Thats a good part, you can also do another mission in
vault 101

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Being day out is a coincidence. Your pipboy being overly bright is a glitch and changing the color and what not isn't going to help. In most cases you'll need to turn your game off and turn it back on.

The first time it happened to me it stopped after putting it away and fast traveling. The 2nd time though I had to turn it off and back on.[/QUOTE]

I just turn the light on the Pipboy on and off until it's normal again.

[quote name='yukafls']Thats a good part, you can also do another mission in
vault 101
[/quote]

yea I beat that part already.
Speech skill wasn't high enough at the time so I had to kill the new Overseer.

I've really just started playing this game and I'm loving it. There's some few struggling moments like following the marker and being lost. I got to Rizet (sp?) city, and I gave the water to Carlos, but then couldn't find where Rizet (sp?) was. I knew it was on the airplane hangar, but couldn't find the entrance. So, I ended up swimming in the radiated water around the whole hangar and saying to myself, wtf?

Then, I went back to Carlos and saw the intercom. I felt stupid.

I'm trying for the Weapon Smith achievement but am having trouble finding a motorcycle handbrake for the Shieshkebob. I've come across a few motorcycles in the wasteland but they don't seem to be interactive.

If you can't find one lying around (they're never actually on a motorcycle), Moira usually has one in stock, and the traveling junk merchant sells them also.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Where is the mission to re-enter vault 101?[/quote]

Later on you'll get a note saying that the Vault 101 emergency radio station is now available or something. listen to it and you will be able to do the quest.

[quote name='Malik112099']I just murdered EVERYONE in
Tennpenny Tower.
Very satisfying.[/quote]Yes, I just started a second game to play through as a total A-hole and it is VERY fun!

[quote name='TruVisionary']
Later on you'll get a note saying that the Vault 101 emergency radio station is now available or something. listen to it and you will be able to do the quest.
[/quote]Where do you find this? I don't recall getting this my first run through.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Where do you find this? I don't recall getting this my first run through.[/quote]

It's after
the waters of life quest, the one where the enclave finds project purity in the jefferson memorial. you have to go close to vault 101 (I went to megaton) to get the message.

my Fallout 3 copy should be here on Thursday the latest. DId I make the right choice should I have gone for MK vs DC. The Joker looks like a sick fighter, its all I can think about instead of being hyped for my copy of Fallout 3 which should keep me busy on Thanksgiving.

MEh anyways its was only $10 bucks

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheapy.jpg

oh and a picture of my free Sprint phone because thats how the CAG community rolls cheapy style. Work those deals.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/Picture003c.jpg

[quote name='Ice Cold']my Fallout 3 copy should be here on Thursday the latest. DId I make the right choice should I have gone for MK vs DC. The Joker looks like a sick fighter, its all I can think about instead of being hyped for my copy of Fallout 3 which should keep me busy on Thanksgiving.

MEh anyways its was only $10 bucks

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheapy.jpg

oh and a picture of my free Sprint phone because thats how the CAG community rolls cheapy style. Work those deals.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/Picture003c.jpg[/quote]

Fallout was the right choice.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Where do you find this? I don't recall getting this my first run through.[/quote]

you have to wait until
your dad dies, then go to vault 101 to pick up the emergency signal.

I can't believe I missed the huge tribute to Snatcher (one of my top three favorite games of all time) in this!!! Freakin awesome!!

With all the rumors and everything about a Snatcher re-make or sequel, then finding this in the game.. I really hope something happens.. I would love a Snatcher re-make or sequel!

Here's a tip for somebody who doesn't want to level up their speech but still wants the benefits. If you save before talking to somebody with a speech choice advantage (sometimes if you talk to someone and you notice this option, you can back out of the convo) just keep choosing the option and if it fails reload (takes maybe five, ten sec) and try again. It's a little annoying but it allowed me to focus on other skills that I needed to level up quickly.

So I got caught stealing in Rivet City and now everyone tries to kill me and I just barely arrived there, so I can't do any of my quests.

Unfortunately, I was trying to run out, and my auto save is now after I stole. The only previous save I have is about 5 hours ago.

Is there any way to reset Rivet City back to where they don't all want to kill me and I can talk to people?

[quote name='thrustbucket']So I got caught stealing in Rivet City and now everyone tries to kill me and I just barely arrived there, so I can't do any of my quests.

Unfortunately, I was trying to run out, and my auto save is now after I stole. The only previous save I have is about 5 hours ago.

Is there any way to reset Rivet City back to where they don't all want to kill me and I can talk to people?[/quote]

come back in 3 days. that's the standard amount of days you should be gone after a crime from any city.

Apparently you can get infinite bottlecaps/exp too with some tricks/glitches. I'm thinking about trying it, but I didn't beat the game yet -- and it might ruin my experience.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Apparently you can get infinite bottlecaps/exp too with some tricks/glitches. I'm thinking about trying it, but I didn't beat the game yet -- and it might ruin my experience.[/quote]

There is no use for either, once you beat level 20 then you no longer need xp, and when you beat the game you won't need any more bottle caps/ you can scrounge for items and save them if you already have the good guns

[quote name='thrustbucket']So I got caught stealing in Rivet City and now everyone tries to kill me and I just barely arrived there, so I can't do any of my quests.

Is there any way to reset Rivet City back to where they don't all want to kill me and I can talk to people?[/quote]

Not that I know of. That's going to be a problem.

That's something I like a bit more about Oblivion. If you do something wrong in Oblivion, you can go to jail, or pay a fine. In Fallout, if a town hates you, you're fucked.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Is it possible to have two different save files? Or can I only have one?[/quote]

It's possible to have 500 different save files if you wanted to.

[quote name='TruVisionary']come back in 3 days. that's the standard amount of days you should be gone after a crime from any city.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Not that I know of. That's going to be a problem.

That's something I like a bit more about Oblivion. If you do something wrong in Oblivion, you can go to jail, or pay a fine. In Fallout, if a town hates you, you're fucked.[/QUOTE]

I didn't try the 3 days thing (was really hard to get out from the science lab, without getting killed), so out of frustration I used a Stealth Boy. Oddly enough, the agro totally reset. Three people were shooting at me, as soon as I turned on the stealth boy, they are greeting me while bullets are still flying.

Makes no sense, but at least I can play again.

I read about Vault 76 in the
brotherhood of steel's
Vault-Tec terminal. It isn't on the map (I have the Explorer perk) so is it an easter egg location or was it not put in?

Ok, I just got this game last Friday and have put around 6 hours into it. I haven't read any of the previous posts b/c I'm afraid I'll run into spoilers. So anyway, here's the question.

Is this game really hard (at least early on) or do I just suck? I'm currently in Megaton and about the only quests I have been able to complete have been the easy stuff, i.e.
disarm the bomb, get radiation poisoning
, etc. The most difficult quest I have completed is probably the
Mega Mart
one.

I think I'm at level 4 right now. Should I just be wandering the wasteland outside of Megaton and grinding my levels? I have a few guns, all of which are damn near broken, and very little ammo for any of them.

I'm just not sure I am playing this game right at all. I like it, but it is certainly slow going.

If you're not using VATS for almost all of combat, then you are playing wrong. You'll do more damage, and save way more ammo. Playing it like an FPS is just going to waste all your ammo. Keep your weapons repaired, they do more damage.

[quote name='emdub']If you're not using VATS for almost all of combat, then you are playing wrong. You'll do more damage, and save way more ammo. Playing it like an FPS is just going to waste all your ammo. Keep your weapons repaired, they do more damage.[/quote]
Yes VATS is what you should be using every chance your AP is high enough, esspecially onlower levels.

Once you get to about level 5-6 things start to get a little easier.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was using VATS 99% of the time - although at first I didn't realize you could string multiple actions within one VATs turn. I thought you could only do one action each time you enabled VATS so that was hurting me.

I finally got on a roll at lunch and completed the
Fire Ant
quest. I also completed the land mine quest and took out the sniper that was there so I have a sniper rifle now which is awesome.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Ok, I just got this game last Friday and have put around 6 hours into it. I haven't read any of the previous posts b/c I'm afraid I'll run into spoilers. So anyway, here's the question.

Is this game really hard (at least early on) or do I just suck? I'm currently in Megaton and about the only quests I have been able to complete have been the easy stuff, i.e.
disarm the bomb, get radiation poisoning
, etc. The most difficult quest I have completed is probably the
Mega Mart
one.

I think I'm at level 4 right now. Should I just be wandering the wasteland outside of Megaton and grinding my levels? I have a few guns, all of which are damn near broken, and very little ammo for any of them.

I'm just not sure I am playing this game right at all. I like it, but it is certainly slow going.[/quote]

Well, after you play a little more and come to a point where you better understand the game you could start over. I started over when I was about level 10, and was able to really set myself on a better path as far as stats and perks go.

Don't waste perks on the ones that offer extra experience. Once you're level 20 it'll just be a big fat waste!

Set all your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats at 6 at least. There is a perk for each attribute that requires it to be at 6 and they are pretty good/cool (Mysterious Stranger anyone?) for the most part.

As far as your tag skills go I would recommend "Small Guns" for sure. It applies to most available fire arms at the beginning and in general the best and most practical weapons fall in this category. I would also choose repair, as it's incredibly useful to find other weapons and be able to repair your own when out and about. Finally lock picking, it'll give you access to locked containers and rooms which tend to have the most loot. Tagging speech in place of lock picking or repair would be a good choice too.

In my opinion there really aren't any other skills worth tagging at the beginning. I found to sneak to be pretty useless over all. If you need to sneak then throw on a "stealth boy" and call it a day. I have never been in a situation where hand to hand or melee were better options than guns so avoid those, unless you are wanting to be a melee guy.

Just read the descriptions of the skills and get an idea of what you think will be useful.

Just start out on the right foot and all will work itself out.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Thanks for all of the replies. I was using VATS 99% of the time - although at first I didn't realize you could string multiple actions within one VATs turn. I thought you could only do one action each time you enabled VATS so that was hurting me.

I finally got on a roll at lunch and completed the
Fire Ant
quest. I also completed the land mine quest and took out the sniper that was there so I have a sniper rifle now which is awesome.[/quote]

One additional note... if you really are having a tough time, you can temporarily change your difficulty setting. The default is Normal but you can jump to Easy or Very Easy for the beginning levels.

I wouldn't recommend keeping it there the entire game or it will become incredibly easy. I am level 20 and playing on Hard and most encounters are still trivial and I rarely die unless it is to a random missile flying out of left field.

My game arrives in a few Days and I'm gonna play on Easy, not normal or very easy just easy.

Don't want any mutant ants or flies to kill me as I walk to another location.

As Long as I get the ending and Achievements Easy is just fine.

[quote name='Trakan']It's possible to have 500 different save files if you wanted to.[/quote]

Ah, 500 is the maximum amount? I'll make a note. After beating the game, I ended with around 150 saves. Now that I'm just messing around and trying to find extra goodies, I'm around 175.

[quote name='Ice Cold']My game arrives in a few Days and I'm gonna play on Easy, not normal or very easy just easy.

Don't want any mutant ants or flies to kill me as I walk to another location.

As Long as I get the ending and Achievements Easy is just fine.[/QUOTE]

You might get awfully bored as the game goes on. I was a walking death machine by level 14, and once you hit 20, you're basically unstoppable.

Have any of you tried going back in Vault 87 a second time? Try opening the vault door once you get back there, You can do it now because the door to the room is now blown open.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Yeah you can't play this like an FPS, you have to use VATS... they will claim it's optional, it's not.[/quote]

That's not quite true. two of my twitchier friends played the game using vats like 10 times total. I saw him pull off a crazy shot with a sniper rifle on a super mutant without it. and you know how difficult aiming can be in Fallout 3.

What an amazing, fantastic game. I'm glad I'm at the point that I can put Fallout away for a while and get to the other games I missed in it's wake (Left 4 Dead, Gears 2, LittleBigPlanet). I'm sure I'll come back for another run at some point, though.

In addition, the first official downloadable content, Operation: Anchorage, will be available exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows® in January, and more downloadable content coming in February and March.

Three downloadable content packs will be coming to Xbox 360 and Games for Windows Live starting in January that will add new quests, items, and content to Fallout 3.
  • Operation: Anchorage. Enter a military simulation and fight in one of the greatest battles of the Fallout universe – the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders. An action-packed battle scheduled for release in January.
  • The Pitt. Journey to the industrial raider town called The Pitt, located in the remains of Pittsburgh. Choose your side. Scheduled for release in February.
  • Broken Steel. Join the ranks of the Brotherhood of Steel and rid the Capital Wasteland of the Enclave remnants once and for all. Continues the adventure past the main quest. Scheduled for release in March.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=10818

bread's done
Back