Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='blueweltall']Is each of the five DLC going to cost $9.99 on the PSN store?[/QUOTE]

you can pretty much bank on it... i loved F3 and loved broken steel (the pitt was ok and anchorage was ehh) but if you really think about it we basically paid for 2 games and the 2nd one (the 5 DLC packs) had nowhere near the level of depth of the first (the basic F3 game) i have no regrets about the purchases, but to anyone who hasnt dipped in yet, id recommend the GOTY edition for ps3 in october... all 5 dlc packs and the game for $60? thats sick...

[quote name='dallow']I gotta believe so, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='outphase']You should ask around on the Oblivion boards. IIRC, Bethesda had the same arrangement with a GOTY edition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah after doing some google searches it seems that regular Oblivion saves work with Oblivion GOTY. So, I should be ok :crosses fingers:

Looks like the psn Gameshare grp has already jump on the chance to share DLC

And to think I was going to build a new pc or buy a 360 to get the game and get DLC, well looks like I saved myself $300 or so

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']still dont own the game but beat it on 360... very undecided on which platform to get it on now since I don't mind starting a new story.[/QUOTE]

After Oblivion and Fallout and you still can't figure this out? Bethesda is PC first company which means it takes them less work for 360 ports. Which leads to less bugs and more features like 1080p.

I feel compelled to post as probably the only person upset by this news. I sold my fallout 3 and planned to buy the 360 version! Argh! I was so pissed when I found out the DLC was 360 exclusive and now I'm pissed all over again lol. Oh well I'll probably just wait and buy the GOTY edition.
I suppose, more Fallout is always good news.

Sweet mercy....when will this game relinquish its grip upon me? Now its going to cost me more money to play it more. Jerks.

dan

Sooo...I've had this game since December and am just now getting into it. I've suck 22 hours into it and am loving it except for the fact that the game freezes on me about once every two hours.

It seems to happen when i'm using my AP after pressing R2 and it's reallllllly annoying. Does this happen for everyone?

[quote name='Dingleberry']Sooo...I've had this game since December and am just now getting into it. I've suck 22 hours into it and am loving it except for the fact that the game freezes on me about once every two hours.

It seems to happen when i'm using my AP after pressing R2 and it's reallllllly annoying. Does this happen for everyone?[/QUOTE]

It happened to me too, but at about once per 10 hr.

DLC dated! Starting next week we get Broken Steel and all others will be out by Oct. 8th. Game of the year edition will be on the shelf October 13th (for 360 and PC as well).

Can't wait to get back into the wasteland!

[quote name='Saint Noir']DLC dated! Starting next week we get Broken Steel and all others will be out by Oct. 8th. Game of the year edition will be on the shelf October 13th (for 360 and PC as well).

Can't wait to get back into the wasteland![/QUOTE]
Yep, and it is about damn time! I'm glad they are releasing them before the GOTY edition. I will most definitely be picking up the packs in hopes of finishing them before Uncharted 2.

Here's the breakdown for those interested:
9/24 - Broken Steel
10/1 - Op Anchorage and The Pitt
10/8 - Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta

10/13 - GOTY Edition

Now my question is, since all of the packs cost 10 and that is a total of 50....

If I buy the GOTY edition, will that disc have any problems with my existing Fallout 3 save? I don't want to get the new disc and have to start a whole new game. I'd like to pick it up with my existing save.

The again, I hear some of the DLC is bad (especially Op Anchorage)... but I'd still prolly want to play them all.

EDIT - Kotaku comments seem to think so, but I'd still like official confirmation.

EDIT 2 - ANSWERED. http://twitter.com/Bethblog "Saves from Fallout 3 will work with Game of the year edition so you can continue using your old character"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder for those of you going DLC route... Broken Steel out today. I decided to just go ahead and grab it. About a 750 MB d/l, which is not bad.

For some reason, I can no longer use VATS to throw grenades which sucks. If I have grenades equipped and go into VATS, it acts as if I don't have anything equipped, the amount of ammo I have disappears and the weapon condition bar goes to zero. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']For some reason, I can no longer use VATS to throw grenades which sucks. If I have grenades equipped and go into VATS, it acts as if I don't have anything equipped, the amount of ammo I have disappears and the weapon condition bar goes to zero. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]
That is weird. I had no problem earlier tonight throwing frag grenades using VATS.

Super weird. I'll have to experiment more in a bit. I played an old save from the enclave base to get back in the swing of things prior to the the last disc mission.

I'll boot it up and check on grenades in VATS. Which type?

Yeah, it just happened today. It could've been the patch before the expansion because I originally played this last year, and just fired it up today to play Broken Steel.

I didn't play any with the last patch, though I did d/l it a few days ago. I installed Broken Steel today and have discovered no issues up to this point. Seems that some of the issues that plagued PC and 360 expansions are going to hit PS3 after all. Which is really lame after the delays to "get it right."

Is anyone else noticing the frame rate sucking now after installing broken steel, I haven't played the game in a few weeks so maybe it hasn't changed but it seems to be moving slower to my eyes.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Yeah, it just happened today. It could've been the patch before the expansion because I originally played this last year, and just fired it up today to play Broken Steel.[/QUOTE]

Does it happen with a new save file as well as a continue save file?

[quote name='jonlubbe']Does it happen with a new save file as well as a continue save file?[/QUOTE]

I'ven't tried a new save file because it would take hours to get to the point where you find a grenade.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'ven't tried a new save file because it would take hours to get to the point where you find a grenade.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah... another option is to delete your game data, and then let the game reinstall itself, and see if that helps at all.

framerate sucks now and the game freezes like crazy since broken steel...bullshit I tell ya. Game is back to being as glitchy as it was before the patches

[quote name='SynGamer']Too bad there isn't a way to convert an Xbox 360 save file to PS3...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just built an awesome gaming PC and was wishing I could convert my PS3 save to PC. :(

I want the GOTY for pc but I don't want to replay everything. Some of those missions were insanely tedious.

I traded in my copy a while ago though so I'm just going to buy the GOTY instead of buying the original for cheap used and downloading the expansions.

[quote name='HowStern']Yeah I just built an awesome gaming PC and was wishing I could convert my PS3 save to PC. :(

I want the GOTY for pc but I don't want to replay everything. Some of those missions were insanely tedious.

I traded in my copy a while ago though so I'm just going to buy the GOTY instead of buying the original for cheap used and downloading the expansions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I put 65+ hours into the 360 version so I'll likely get the GotY edition on the 360 just for the sake of not wasting all those hours.

Operation Anchorage and The Pitt are now out. Though Broken Steel and Point Lookout where my only "musts"... I have had too much fun diving back into the wasteland. I will be picking one of these two new ones this week. General consensus favors the Pitt by quite a lot, correct?

EDIT - Anyone who has any of the new ones... thoughts appreciated!

I got Operation Anchorage. I don't know what people's problem with it is, I really enjoy it. It's a nice change of pace. Everything is bright instead of gloomy, and they take away all your best weapons so everything isn't as easy as it was.
I'll pick up the pitt soon after I finish this one though. I plan on playing all of them.

I ended up grabbing the Pitt first. It was a lot of fun. I think I'll go ahead and grab OpAnc by tomorrow IF Amazon doesn't ship out my Demon's Souls order right away. I am going to grab them all. I've had too much fun running through them thus far, also, I want my trophies back to 100%! :lol:

I downloaded Operation Anchorage when it came out. I also bought Broken Steel and the Pitt. Next is Mothership Zeta and then Point Lookout. The state park that Point Lookout is based off of isn't far from where I live in DC, kind of funny. I've had a lot of fun with all of the addons. Bethesda did a great job. All too often I find addons not worthy of what you paid for them.

quick question, What perks and weapons do I get to keep when playing the DLC? I've heard you lose your armor and weapons in some of the dlc like operation anchorage? What about perks? Thanks guys

I can't speak for all of them... in the Pitt
there is a section where you lose all your gear as part of the mission storyline, but you get it back. Perk wise you keep them all even there. Broken Steel of course you lose nothing.

[quote name='HowStern'] I've heard you lose your armor and weapons in some of the dlc like operation anchorage? [/QUOTE]

Just me, but having ammo / health refill stations kinda balanced out getting your stuff taken in operation anchorage. Hell maybe it balanced it out a little too much.:D Still in the end I enjoyed it and the rewards at the end were pretty good.

off topic but did anyone else feel disappointed with the new perks added with broken steel?

[quote name='HowStern']quick question, What perks and weapons do I get to keep when playing the DLC? I've heard you lose your armor and weapons in some of the dlc like operation anchorage? What about perks? Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

You keep your same character in OpAnch, so you have the same perk, SPECIAL, HP, everything else. You just lose all your items because it's a simulation, but they give you armor and weapons.

In The Pitt, a little of the way through, you have to give up your items for a little while too, but there are ways to get good weapons and armor.

You get your items back during each expansion. You get your stuff back in The Pitt relatively quickly.

[quote name='StillFree']
off topic but did anyone else feel disappointed with the new perks added with broken steel?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mostly took old perks rather than the new ones. I think the only one that's really good is the level 30 one that raises all your SPECIALs to 9. There's that level 28 one that makes your AP regenerate faster which is useful too.

There were a few perks I really enjoyed. Didn't care for a lot of them. It was like that with the main perks too... depends on what you want to accomplish and your play style. I definitely think a handful of them are worthwhile. The karmic rebalance ones are silly, but make for easy trophies for the level 30 karma trophies (save, reload, save, reload, save, reload), since I didn't want to demote my karma by hand or get that far again. I do have two level 20 games... one with mega good and one with slightly bad. But my slightly bad play through was crap and I never use that one.

[quote name='Saint Noir'] The karmic rebalance ones are silly, but make for easy trophies for the level 30 karma trophies (save, reload, save, reload, save, reload), since I didn't want to demote my karma by hand or get that far again.[/QUOTE]

Ohmygod! I didn't think of that. I'm so glad you mentioned that!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Ohmygod! I didn't think of that. I'm so glad you mentioned that![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it makes it way easy. I just got to the end of level 28, cashed in some blood samples to hit 29 and used here and now perk to up from 29 straight to 30, then the karmic shift ones. Make sure you reload one last time so you don't waste a perk for real on a karmic shift! So I have the trophies but my real game is just at the beginning of level 29. :)

Ah,thanks guys! I am debating on getting the GOTY for pc and starting a whole new game or getting it for ps3 since i sold my original copy and picking up where I left off with my 62 hour save,

Think I'm going ps3. If I didn't get to keep my save files perks and stuff anyway I would have went with PC/new game. But I liked my character :)

I'm apparently more prone to glitches now. I guess it's make up for me never having problems playing the actual game. I got grenades to work in VATs, I'm not sure if it was because I installed another DLC or because I deleted everything and reinstalled the game data. But, now that I installed Mothership Zeta and Point Lookout, grenades don't do any damage to enemies, or the aliens are really good at dodging them.

But, the worst of all, I'm at the end of Mothership Zeta, but the teleporters won't work, so I can't get to the last place. I guess I'm going to have to try deleting and reinstalling.

bread's done
Back