Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='freakyzeeky']For those who've played both games...Is this game better than Oblivion? If so, I may have to try it out one of these days. ;)[/quote]

I think it's better, mainly for the setting since I'm not into the fantasy/medieval-type that much. But I also found the leveling and stat bonus system easier to understand, plus you don't have to jump all over the place to strengthen agility.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']For those who've played both games...Is this game better than Oblivion? If so, I may have to try it out one of these days. ;)[/quote]

In short, yes...in almost every way.

I played over 100 hours of Oblivion, but probably half that was spent leveling skills so my character didn't develop as a total weakling. In FO3, leveling is the much more traditional XP based leveling, which works a lot better, IMO.

If you didn't like Oblivion because of the expansiveness and free-roaming aspect, then FO3 probably won't suit you either, although the quests are a lot more focused and feel more varied as well.

I loved Oblivion and I'm loving this. I do like the setting of Oblivion since I'm a fan of fantasy and I like the guilds etc. I do enjoy the shooting aspect of Fallout 3 and the VATS is top notch, well esp since without it, aiming is a bitch. If Oblivion had the improvements done for Fallout 3 then I would probably like Oblivion more. Improvements include the exp system, and a lot of little things I can't recall off the top of my head.. like I dunno the key loop, ammo not affecting weight. etc etc, FO3 is amazing though.

[quote name='hone']did you not like oblivion?[/quote]

Actually, I did... it was one of my favorite games. ;)
Thanks for the input you guys, it really helped. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This thread compels me to check my punctuation, grammar and spelling before posting any threads. You guys are brutal, but funny.

As for the game, I don't want it since it's some more first person crap from Bethesda.[/quote]
Lol! Yes! They are brutal, yet funnierest as hell. Hey OP, ever heard of 'School House Rock' Damn!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As for the game, I don't want it since it's some more first person crap from Bethesda.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you smoking!?:lol:

HOLY fuck ! This game is amazing!

I told myself I'd only play about two hours of it last night, but I ended up playing until 6 AM in the morning.

I jacked up my luck and got the sniper perk along with better criticals and now if I manage to stay hidden I can snipe out super mutants with VATS in one shot. Exploding super mutant heads FTW

What's everyones favorite weapon? I just got the schematics for Nuka-Grenade and those things do like 400 DAM with fairly easy-to-find ingredients

[quote name='blueweltall']This game is amazing!

How do you find purify water or clean water for the old guy sitting outside of megaton entrance?
[/quote]

If you disable the megaton bomb
then you get your own place there and your own robot who will give you bottles of purified water

[quote name='HowStern']If you disable the megaton bomb
then you get your own place there and your own robot who will give you bottles of purified water
[/quote]

Okay thanks!

[quote name='blueweltall']This game is amazing!

How do you find purify water or clean water for the old guy sitting outside of megaton entrance?
[/quote]
in response to your spoiler, I got mine outside the super duper mart, some slaves were guarding a fridge from raiders. Funny though cause the first time I played there was some guy and a broken robot out there??!!??

Anyways what do you get from quenching the man of his thirst, I gave him 10 bottles and nothing. If I'll find out later as a suprise then I'm cool on not knowing.

Nope, those thirsty guys in front of major cities are just there to give you Karma if you give them pure water.

There's a lot of various random encounters, some are just general things, others are more special.

Do you guys think that buying the guide for this game is worth it? I was thinking about looking at buying it for my second play though.

[quote name='js1']Do you guys think that buying the guide for this game is worth it? I was thinking about looking at buying it for my second play though.[/quote]
If you want to see everything, then yes. Only games I've bought guides for are Final Fantasy games, and that was for the second playthoughs as well

OK guys, don't flame me, but I'm having a hard time getting into this game. I love Oblivion and will go back to it but there's something about Fallout that hasn't grasped me yet at about 10 hours. I'll give it a little more time, but I may jump back to Oblivion for my Bethesda fix.

I'm about 50 hours into this game, and I just started on Saurday. I'm at the level cap, and at the final leg of the main quest. I'm not sure if I want to bother going to finish the last couple optional quests.

I really hope they add the trophies soon, and they're retroactive because at this point, I'd have nearly all of them (assuming they're the same as the 360's achievements).

Haven't started my game yet, but the manual talks about these perks at certain levels.

I only get to chose one? Can't max out my guy?

[quote name='dallow']Haven't started my game yet, but the manual talks about these perks at certain levels.

I only get to chose one? Can't max out my guy?[/quote]

You get one perk per level as long as you have the requirements, you can take the perks from any of the lower levels too. You can't get all the perks.

If you're really good at planning, you probably can max out all the skills.

Has anyone else had a problem with the game freezing? It's pretty much only when I want to travel, it locks up on the loading screen. It's starting to get annoying.

Over 50-60 hours of gameplay, I had it freeze less than 5 times, so it wasn't too bad. I don't think I ever had it lock up on the load screen. I know it happened in VATS once or twice, and I think just wandering around it happened another couple times.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Over 50-60 hours of gameplay, I had it freeze less than 5 times, so it wasn't too bad. I don't think I ever had it lock up on the load screen. I know it happened in VATS once or twice, and I think just wandering around it happened another couple times.[/quote]

Thanks. Like I said it's getting annoying. It's not the actual game load screen. It's when I want to travel to a new location and it goes to loading screen. It always seems like it's just about to complete, and then locks up. At least 10+ times this weekend. I've never had it lockup during actual gameplay though...strange.

Playing Fallout 3 has been

RANDOMGUY has signed in

a little frustrating because of the

PS3FAN has sent you a message

bug that freezes your game every

LOL4THEWIN has signed off

time a PSN notification occurs. But thankfully, a patch has gone live in Europe (Update: and now America!) that finally squashes the bug. The patch also adds Trophy support. (Check out the Trophy list here.) Enjoy being able to play Fallout 3 whilst keeping your sanity.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/15/fallout-3-patch-brings-trophies-stops-annoying-freezing-bug/

Awesome news. :D I'm now tempted to give it a shot after this update.

I have it for 360, have had it freeze up twice, in about 6 hours of playing. Its not as bad as Oblivion for freezing up though. It froze up as I was
blowing up megaton
which sucked. But I did get to watch that scene again without much fuss.

Damnit, I just started playing the game a week ago so now I won't get half of those trophies. Glad they're fixing the freezing issue, I had to sign out of my psn profile just so I could play.

Thank God for that patch. I actually let my buddy borrow it becuase I was waiting for trophy support and a patch to fix that crap (I turned it off, but it annoyed me not being able to see which friends were online).

I'll grab this back from him next week, restart (was only about 20 hours in), and hopefully beat it.

Dam the game is sooo awesome! i haven't been sleeping any! playing 10 hrs plus everyday for the last week! I haven't even been to the gym! dam this game is soo addictive! there just so much to do and so much to explore! cant remember the last time I've gotten so hooked on a game! thank goodness i finished reading WATCHMEN before i started this or i definitely wouldn't have finished it or anything else for that matter!

which weapon does everyone use most? the combat shotgun and assault rifles and Chinese assault rifles get the most use from me.

Patch has worked well for me.
Played about 15-20 hours, hasn't crashed or glitched once.

I probably jinxed myself.

For melee, I love using the Ripper & the Super Sledgehammer, and the Xianhong (sp.?) Assault Rifle so far makes good damage... Fragging monsters is fun too. :)

so i did the reilly rangers quest and choose the armor. but it i dont have it anymore! i equipped it but after 4hrs later of playing i found out ive been playing in my underwear! the armor is nowhere to be found! not in storage or in my inventory. is there away 2 get that armor again?

^yeah once I got the alien blaster I didn't use anything else. It actually made the game boring though because it took out both enclave soldiers and even deathclaws in one hit for me with the way the way I had my SPECIAL set up.
Definitely bad ass but also anti-climatic.

[quote name='xenoman80']so i did the reilly rangers quest and choose the armor. but it i dont have it anymore! i equipped it but after 4hrs later of playing i found out ive been playing in my underwear! the armor is nowhere to be found! not in storage or in my inventory. is there away 2 get that armor again?[/QUOTE]

anyone ?

[quote name='xenoman80']anyone ?[/quote]

Well, you can apparently steal it off of one of the rangers. But, first you have to reverse pickpocket a stronger armor into their inventory (only a fully repaired suit of power armor will work).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, you can apparently steal it off of one of the rangers. But, first you have to reverse pickpocket a stronger armor into their inventory (only a fully repaired suit of power armor will work).[/QUOTE]
awesome thanks. found another way around it. luckily i found an earlier save file.

I loved using the victory rifle (knockdown w/ critical hits are awesome), Lincoln's repeater (accuracy and power), Vengeance (It's a beast), Missile launcher (ended game with over 200 missiles), and A3-21's plasma rifle (green goo galore!).

P.S. - Tesla armor looks so bad ass.

I stick with random melee weapons. Completely random, sometimes even pool sticks. Silenced pistol for sneak-attacks, and the scoped pistol.

Throughout like half the game I conserved ammo and stuck with the hunting rifle/assault rifle. When I realized how much ammo and weapons I had stashed in my locker, I just went nuts after that :p

I even could afford to fire off a couple shots from the experimental MIRV

bread's done
Back