Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Anyone know a solution to freezes with the DLCs?

Just bought vanilla Fallout 3(again) on the cheaps, and got a gameshare for the DLCs.
After all the installation and etc, I tried playing it but it froze on me during the birthday party. After that, reset the console and tried loading the game up but it just won't go past the loading screen and wouldn't start the game.

The first time I played Fallout was in.. March of '09, the game was flawless for me. Now it's a helluva mess. Any suggestions on what to do to maybe make it playable? I don't really mind freezes every couple hours, but god damn! it won't even let me get into the game now =( .

Would appreciate any kind of help.

[quote name='cupcakex1']Anyone know a solution to freezes with the DLCs?

Just bought vanilla Fallout 3(again) on the cheaps, and got a gameshare for the DLCs.
After all the installation and etc, I tried playing it but it froze on me during the birthday party. After that, reset the console and tried loading the game up but it just won't go past the loading screen and wouldn't start the game.

The first time I played Fallout was in.. March of '09, the game was flawless for me. Now it's a helluva mess. Any suggestions on what to do to maybe make it playable? I don't really mind freezes every couple hours, but god damn! it won't even let me get into the game now =( .

Would appreciate any kind of help.[/QUOTE]
I'm having similar problems :cry: Started when I downloaded the addon content. I'd have to say delete or disable the add-on content until you're ready to play it.
One more thing... I've heard if your ps3 system is hot, like you play it on carpet, it'll be prone to these freezes.

Before the add on content came out I ran my ps3 on wood, now it is running on carpet. Next time I'm jonesing for some Fallout I'll put it on wood or something and report my findings.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xsouthparkx']I'm having similar problems :cry: Started when I downloaded the addon content. I'd have to say delete or disable the add-on content until you're ready to play it.
One more thing... I've heard if your ps3 system is hot, like you play it on carpet, it'll be prone to these freezes.[/QUOTE]

Haha you too eh? My PS3 is pretty cool, doesn't overheat or anything. I installed the add-ons first before the actual game so I'm going to try the other way around to see if it will do anything. I'm about to go install the add-ons now, will post anything if it helps in anyway.

Oh yeah, is there any particular order you should install the add ons?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cupcakex1']Haha you too eh? My PS3 is pretty cool, doesn't overheat or anything. I installed the add-ons first before the actual game so I'm going to try the other way around to see if it will do anything. I'm about to go install the add-ons now, will post anything if it helps in anyway.

Oh yeah, is there any particular order you should install the add ons?[/QUOTE]
Lol yehh.
To tell you the truth I'm not sure if you need to install in any specific order, but I'd try going by time of release.

1. Operation Anchorage
2. The Pitt
3. Broken Steel
4. Point Lookout
5. Mothership Zeta

When I get back home I'll have to delete and reinstall in order if it works well for you.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']Lol yehh.
To tell you the truth I'm not sure if you need to install in any specific order, but I'd try going by time of release.

1. Operation Anchorage
2. The Pitt
3. Broken Steel
4. Point Lookout
5. Mothership Zeta

When I get back home I'll have to delete and reinstall in order if it works well for you.[/QUOTE]

So I tried loading up Fallout without any of the expansions installed, and I swear it took a good 15 minutes to even get to the start menu where you choose to start a new game, continue, all that. Couldn't even start the game. It would be freezing for about 5 minute periods in between the loading pages starting from the second Bethesda screen when you load up the game(I might not be making sense right now, I've been up the whole night and am OUT OF IT).

Decided I should try it with the expansions installed since it didn't have any issue starting the game the first time I tried with the add ons. Same shit. I'm thinking about going to Gamestop in a couple of hours, get an used copy of Fallout 3 and see if that changes anything, just in case the disc I have is fucked up somehow. I'll probably head out in about 6 hours after a little nap, and I'll see what's up.

Shit is seriously pissing me off though :bomb:

For the expansions, good god is Operation Anchorage such a PITA to get through. It would've been enjoyable if it wouldn't hit 1 FPS like 90% of the time. 5 crashes, 3 freezes, and tons of slowdown later, I finished Anchorage.

:(

I have played through 3 thus far... OA is only one that gave me any issue. And it was minor... weird weapon glitch, but it fixed when I unequipped and then brought it back out.

God damn, it literally takes me 20 minutes to get the menu where you choose to continue, start new game, etc. What is going on ?! I didn't have to chance to go to GS today to try it out with another copy of Fallout, but god damn that shit is ridiculous.

I've got Broken Steel and Into The Pitt installed. I don't notice any slow downs until I've put at least 3 or 4 hours into a session. Maybe it's trying to remind me to go to bed.

So I went to GS today to get another copy of vanilla Fallout to see if it makes any difference. Hot damn, it's running flawlessly. It feels like the first time I played it. Sucha good trip :D Now gotta go return the other copy :p

i finally broke out the GOTY edition last night, and i was also having trouble with Operation Anchorage. once i got into the second part of the mission, it was very slow and practically froze up on me twice. the first time it froze up on me, i ended up closing out, shutting down my PS3, and then when i rebooted and went back into the game it worked fine for the most part. then after i beat the first part of that second mission, it was acting up again, so i just shut it down for the night. i'm hoping that when i play tonight that i can get through the whole thing, cause it's pretty frustrating to have it render super slow like that and then freeze.

No, the game is just seriously fucked up.

I had intermittent crashes, freezes, etc, while playing my 100 hour playthrough, sad thing is I knew when it was coming just by watching the HDD light on the system, as soon as it was lit up like July 4th, I knew a freeze was incoming, then if I was lucky I saved as fast as I could and then quit out and started over again.

That game is serious bug filled and by the way it sounds Bethesda didn't do squat to patch it even with the release of the add-ons or the GOTY edition, that's seriously a joke.

Oblivion had bugs that made it crash but never to the degree that Fallout does. If you can put up with the lockup's and crashes, it enjoyable, just a shame that a problem like that has to hamper the experience. Which is more common than it should be.

i really only had it crash or freeze on me a couple times while playing through the main story, which was probably at least 60 hours.

i had it freeze up on me twice last night in about 3 hours while playing Operation Anchorage. i agree it's a little ridiculous to have seemingly widespread issues in the GOTY edition. you'd think those types of things would've been addressed before they released it.

i'm just going to try and play through OA as quickly as possible, and hopefully there won't be any issues with the other expansion/DLC packs.

Late to the party but figured I'd bump this thread. Used to have it for 360 and hated it, just rebought it for 10 bucks. And figured out there is the VATS system. Haha can't believe I missed that last time. Really love this game. Oblivion was one of my favorites this gen, but this might be getting up there with more play time I get with it. Just about 3 hours in so far but I'm loving every minute

I was able to play through the main game (up to level 20) along with OA and TP without any problems. Not even twenty minutes after loading up BS my game hit a a very buggy wall to say the least. Any time i would go into V.A.T.S. my game froze, and that would be it. Needless to say my love for Fallout 3 could not be diminished by Bethesda's short-comings and I was able to get through it. PL was pretty buggy also, making my battles in Calvert Mansion gut-wrenching to get through. I got through MZ on the 360 without one single problem, i've yet to get it on the ps3, but i'm really hoping these problems won't be as abundant as BS and PL.

Okay so I just started playing this about a month ago.

I've currently completed the first chapter of the wasteland survival guide and done the blood ties quest.

Should I start the main quest now or do more side quests? (I'm at level 4) Where do go to find galaxy radio/following in his footsteps.

Why is there no bed for me to sleep in at Megaton? I have to go back to Arefu or the vampires in the subway to sleep/heal. (I dont want to use up my stimpacks)

[quote name='eldergamer']
Should I start the main quest now or do more side quests? (I'm at level 4) Where do go to find galaxy radio/following in his footsteps.[/QUOTE]
You should probably continue to do sidequests. If the next bit of the main quest is to find galaxy radio, it's a little tough.

[quote name='eldergamer']
Why is there no bed for me to sleep in at Megaton? I have to go back to Arefu or the vampires in the subway to sleep/heal. (I dont want to use up my stimpacks)[/QUOTE]
Haven't you been asked to disarm the bomb in Megaton?

You haven't done the mission where you get your house in Megaton yet, it's where your bobblehead collection will be. :p

I got Operation Anchorage the night it came out on XBLA and had no problems with it. o: I was thinking of getting the GOTY for my PS3 and going through it again, but these problems sound like they havne yet to be fixed after so long. >.

I don't think my repair skill is high enough to fix the bomb (I did fix the water pipes). Also, maybe I'm really stupid, but I dont even see a spot on the bomb to repair it.

[quote name='eldergamer']I don't think my repair skill is high enough to fix the bomb (I did fix the water pipes). Also, maybe I'm really stupid, but I dont even see a spot on the bomb to repair it.[/QUOTE]

Do this if you want...
pop some mentats... it should raise you to a level where you can fix the bomb.

[quote name='eldergamer']I don't think my repair skill is high enough to fix the bomb (I did fix the water pipes). Also, maybe I'm really stupid, but I dont even see a spot on the bomb to repair it.[/QUOTE]
You need a 25 explosives skill to disarm the bomb (fix isn't quite the right word). Mentats can indeed increase this by a 10 if your close.

Or..
You can get the sheriff to attempt to arrest the guy telling you to blow up the town and when he kills the sheriff, you can kill him... EVERYBODY WINS! :D

[quote name='scarhawk']Or..
You can get the sheriff to attempt to arrest the guy telling you to blow up the town and when he kills the sheriff, you can kill him... EVERYBODY WINS! :D
[/QUOTE]
And then you can still disarm the bomb, and collect the caps and house from the sheriff's son.

[quote name='scarhawk']Or..
[/QUOTE]

But then you have to deal with his orphaned son which might be the worst a video game has ever made me feel :cry:

I re loaded my game at least twice when I first made it to megaton trying to save the sherrif before Burke shot him. It never worked. :(

[quote name='gbpackers94']
But then you have to deal with his orphaned son which might be the worst a video game has ever made me feel :cry:
[/QUOTE]

Have you blown up Megaton yet? Very satisfying. :)

No, disarmed the bomb and moved on to start the Them! quest.

Getting burned (pun intended) by the Fire Ants. running out of ammo for my Chinese Assault rifle quickly. Should have stocked up before I left. The 9mm pistol isn't cutting it.

Finished them. (except for finding the kid a new home) moving through the metro to find galaxy news. killed a few super mutants.

I set the combat on easy so I could enjoy the experience of the game. will this have any negative effects in the game? as far as trophies or obtaining weapons/story.

[quote name='eldergamer']Finished them. (except for finding the kid a new home) moving through the metro to find galaxy news. killed a few super mutants.

I set the combat on easy so I could enjoy the experience of the game. will this have any negative effects in the game? as far as trophies or obtaining weapons/story.[/QUOTE]
It shouldn't

Okay, so now I'm at Little Lamplight about to head into Vault 87. After completing the Wasteland Survival Guide it seems like the side quests have just dropped off. According to the wikia there's alot more to do.

Should I just start exploring and find them or will they appear naturally as I follow the main story?

Also, when should I switch over to using Laser Rifles? They dont seem to do as much damage as my Assult Rifle or combat shotgun which I've been using for most of the game now. I've got plenty of ammo for them though.

[quote name='eldergamer']Okay, so now I'm at Little Lamplight about to head into Vault 87. After completing the Wasteland Survival Guide it seems like the side quests have just dropped off. According to the wikia there's alot more to do.

Should I just start exploring and find them or will they appear naturally as I follow the main story?

Also, when should I switch over to using Laser Rifles? They dont seem to do as much damage as my Assult Rifle or combat shotgun which I've been using for most of the game now. I've got plenty of ammo for them though.[/QUOTE]

There are only a few sidequests you can get following the main story. There are "listed" and "unlisted" side quests. The listed ones are the ones you get trophies for, and are mainly found just by exploring. Listen to what Three Dog mentions on the radio. Pretty much any location he mentions has a sidequest attached to it, though he doesn't tell you where to find them. Also, a couple can be found by listening to any new radio stations you run across. The unlisted ones you have to listen/read holotapes you find around the wasteland.

As for laser rifles. The damage probably sucks compared to your other weapons because you haven't put enough points into the energy weapons category when you level up.

[quote name='bearhawk72']There are only a few sidequests you can get following the main story. There are "listed" and "unlisted" side quests. The listed ones are the ones you get trophies for, and are mainly found just by exploring. Listen to what Three Dog mentions on the radio. Pretty much any location he mentions has a sidequest attached to it, though he doesn't tell you where to find them. Also, a couple can be found by listening to any new radio stations you run across. The unlisted ones you have to listen/read holotapes you find around the wasteland.

As for laser rifles. The damage probably sucks compared to your other weapons because you haven't put enough points into the energy weapons category when you level up.[/QUOTE]

Most of the other side quests I got was from people in Megaton or the wasteland survival guide.

I'm just basing the damage on what the weapon says in the PIP boy. Does that value change based on my skill? I thought the base damage of a weapon was a constant and was then factored by my skills.

[quote name='eldergamer']Most of the other side quests I got was from people in Megaton or the wasteland survival guide.

I'm just basing the damage on what the weapon says in the PIP boy. Does that value change based on my skill? I thought the base damage of a weapon was a constant and was then factored by my skills.[/QUOTE]
I think it does. I know for me the plasma rifle damage went way up after I put more points into the energy weapon category.

bread's done
Back