Fantasy Football "Who Should I Start" Thread, 2013

Ok I have a 32 point lead with J. Thomas left to go. My opponent still has Decker, Newton, and Dobson left to go should I be worried?

I'd say you should be cautiously optimistic.  When your opponent still has three guys yet to play, anything can happen, but I like your chances.

I won this week, and it was cool because I wanted this one badly.  The guy I played this week was the guy I played in our league's championship game last year.  We were in the same division last year, and his team was the league juggernaut.  He beat me twice during the season, and he was by far the highest scoring team in the league.  He finished 10-3, as the #1 seed.  So we met in the Super Bowl, and he put up his 3rd highest point total for the year, but Marshawn Lynch went Beast Mode that week (130 total yards and 2 TD's) and gave me just enough to beat him by one point, 134-133.  Jump ahead to today, and I have Lynch again this year, and he scores 3 TD's today, gives me 26 points, and I beat him 132-125.  The guy I beat is a really nice guy, but he talks a lot of smack when he wins, and I think this loss probably knocked him out of playoff contention for this year (4-7 now) so it was a pretty sweet win.  Plus, I'm only 6-5 now myself, so I almost need to run the table to stay in it.

Well guys, should I make a deal for Rainey or Moreno?

I am also going to (possibly) get Tom Brady in the deal.

Trade deadline is tomorrow, and I don't think I can get both, but one or the other is fine. Going to be giving up Chris Johnson or Fred Jackson and Boykin.

idk the deal is a toss up. You don't know if Rainey can keep doing that and Moreno's snaps are getting taken away by montee for the rest of the year. Unless you really need a qb, Brady has been shit this year for fantasy. Trade away as long as you don't give up CJ.

Got my own trade question, MJD for Witten half ppr. I have shit for te and have a shot to get Garrett Graham, but I have the 12th waiver pick since I have the best record. I have already locked up a bye at this point and Witten has some nice matchups for the remainder of the season. Deadline is tomorrow as well.

So, after starting 6-2, I caught a string a bad luck and lost three really close games in a row. Whereas I once didn't much care that Lynch had a bye this week, I am now in a tough spot at the running back position this week. I am definitely starting Andre Brown against the Cowboys, but I need a 2nd back out of:

Ridley vs. Denver

Woodhead vs. KC

Ellington vs. Indy

Ball vs. NE

Yeah, I know. It's a PPR league, so Woodhead would seem like the logical choice, but he has struggled the last couple of games, and I obviously don't like the match-up, especially with KC coming off the lost. Ridley is obviously a risk, but he's also the most talented of the group, and there could be a lot of points to go around if the game turned into shoot-out. Ellington doesn't have a great match-up, nor the guarantee of touches. Ball is the dark horse, but has scored 3 redzone TDs in the last 2 weeks.

I'd go with Witten. I'm not sure MJD does much the rest of the season. I'd say Witten will outscore him most weeks for the rest of the season.

I'm just going to guess you got a couple good RBs since you are offering MJD.

I only have CJ, Vereen, MJD and Deangelo. I had trent, Luck and Antonio Brown, but traded them for Peyton, Deangelo and Tate after week 1.

QB:peyton and Foles

RB: CJ, MJD, Deangelo and Vereen

WR:Gordon, Decker, Amendola and Terrance Williams

TE:Chandler lol

DST:Chiefs and Denver

K:Hauschka

CJ, Amendola, Gordon and Vereen are the only people I still have from the draft. The rest were traded for or picked up off the wire. can't complain though, I'm 10-1 and have a bye locked up.

lost 103-99 in my money league this week, Reggie Bush and Ty Hilton came up short for me while my opponent had Antonio Brown and Marshawn Lynch come up huge.  Ugh.  Drops me to 4-7 and pretty much out of the running.

Missed out on Rainey but I did get Mendenhall. So now I need 1 WR 1 RB and a flex out of this crew.

Ivory
Mendenhall
Allen
Nicks
K. Wright

Thanks

I moved to 8-3 this past week but somehow still haven't clinched a playoff spot.  We have 3 weeks left but the #4 and #5 teams are both 6-5 so I guess anything can happen.  I also have the most points scored in the league by about 30.  I beat the second place team who I'm guessing I'll face in the finals if I make it that far - even though I have more points on the year he has consistently outscored me over the last 6 weeks or so on average.  I'm going to miss McCoy and Bernard this week so now Nicks and Vereen will see action. 

With Wilson on a bye this week, I've been looking at QBs on the free agent wire since I have a knack for killing the season of any backup I pick up (Schaub, and now possibly Pyror).

Alex Smith vs SD

Big Ben @ Clevland

Carson Palmer vs Indy

Ryan FitzPatrick @ Oakland

Mike Glennon @ Detroit (who I currently have picked up).

With Wilson on a bye this week, I've been looking at QBs on the free agent wire since I have a knack for killing the season of any backup I pick up (Schaub, and now possibly Pyror).

Alex Smith vs SD
Big Ben @ Clevland
Carson Palmer vs Indy
Big Ben

So, after starting 6-2, I caught a string a bad luck and lost three really close games in a row. Whereas I once didn't much care that Lynch had a bye this week, I am now in a tough spot at the running back position this week. I am definitely starting Andre Brown against the Cowboys, but I need a 2nd back out of:

Ridley vs. Denver

Woodhead vs. KC

Ellington vs. Indy

Ball vs. NE

Yeah, I know. It's a PPR league, so Woodhead would seem like the logical choice, but he has struggled the last couple of games, and I obviously don't like the match-up, especially with KC coming off the lost. Ridley is obviously a risk, but he's also the most talented of the group, and there could be a lot of points to go around if the game turned into shoot-out. Ellington doesn't have a great match-up, nor the guarantee of touches. Ball is the dark horse, but has scored 3 redzone TDs in the last 2 weeks.
Oh man, that's a tough call. I'd roll the dice with Ridley I think, but after that fumble last week, I'm nervous about recommending him. If he fumbles again this week, he may not see the field again. Woodhead is probably the safer choice, but I think Ridley has a chance to see the ball a lot as they try to keep Manning off the field. So consider that a shaky vote for Ridley. Good luck, man. I'm 6-5, too, but that's after a 3-5 start, so I'm probably viewing that 6-5 a little differently than you are.

Missed out on Rainey but I did get Mendenhall. So now I need 1 WR 1 RB and a flex out of this crew.

Ivory
Mendenhall
Allen
Nicks
K. Wright

Thanks
I think I'd go with Ivory, Allen, and Wright.

Alex Smith vs SD

Big Ben @ Clevland

Carson Palmer vs Indy

Yeah, I like Big Ben out of this group, too.

I think I'd go with Ivory, Allen, and Wright.
You dont think Ivory has a bad matchup this week against the Ravens(3rd best defense against fantasy RB's this season)?

How do you feel about:

Mendenhall

Allen

Wright

Or:

Ivory

Mendenhall

Allen

Thanks

Going with Morris/Murray/Woodhead this week. Ball is warming the bench and Bernard is on bye. Do I start with Ryan (foles is on a bye), or drop Ball and try to pick up another QB such as Palmer, Keenum, or Smith. I dropped Cutler last week, but Im trying to decide as the season ends to pick him back up and hold onto him for next year

Going with Morris/Murray/Woodhead this week. Ball is warming the bench and Bernard is on bye. Do I start with Ryan (foles is on a bye), or drop Ball and try to pick up another QB such as Palmer, Keenum, or Smith. I dropped Cutler last week, but Im trying to decide as the season ends to pick him back up and hold onto him for next year
I would pick up Keenum I think he is going to light the Jags up.

Another question:

Panthers @ Dolphins

or

Texans vs. Jags

Should I start Ryan vs New Orleans, or pick up someone else to start?

Tolzien vs MIN
Eli vs DAL
McCown vs STL
I need Ryan to suck balls tonight because that's who my opponent has so I will say McCown. I just don't see the Rams being able to cover Marshall and Jeffery at all.

Oh man, that's a tough call. I'd roll the dice with Ridley I think, but after that fumble last week, I'm nervous about recommending him. If he fumbles again this week, he may not see the field again. Woodhead is probably the safer choice, but I think Ridley has a chance to see the ball a lot as they try to keep Manning off the field. So consider that a shaky vote for Ridley. Good luck, man. I'm 6-5, too, but that's after a 3-5 start, so I'm probably viewing that 6-5 a little differently than you are.
As of now, I have Ridley penciled in, and that's pretty much what everyone seems to think is the right choice. Despite the 2 lost fumbles in the last 2 games, he keeps seeing the field, even though he missed a massive chunk of the 2nd half last week. He is clearly no longer going to get a large bulk of the carries, but I think he has the best chance of falling into the endzone of my group of players. I love Woodhead, and he's put up some great games for me this year, but that match-up definitely doesn't appeal to me. I will probably bounce and back until Sunday. Every last minute move I make is horrible, though, so I will probably try to stop myself from making a change.

Fortunately for me, the last few spots are still pretty much open. 3rd and 4th place are both 7-4, and they play each other, so one will be 7-5. I'm currently in 5th, and I play the 6th place team. He's also 6-4. The 7th and 8th place teams are both 5-6, and they play each other as well. Pretty crazy that it all broke like that. So, no matter what happens this week, there are no guarantees I will be in or out. Needless to say, I'd still prefer to win this week lol.

Welp this is my last chance. Winner of my game will get the final Playoff spot. I'm in a tailspin. Who should I start as my RB2 and FLEX.....
It's PPR

Steven Jackson(tonight vs. NO)
Bobby Rainey(@DET)
Chris Ogbonnaya(vs. PIT)
Rod Streater(vs. TEN)
Steve Smith(vs. MIA)

I need 1 WR 1 RB and a flex out of this crew.

Ivory
Mendenhall
Allen
Nicks
K. Wright

Thanks

I know I asked this already but I am having a lot of indecision on my part.

I'd like some input on who to start this week as well I can start 2 WRS and 2 RBS in this league, normal scoring

WR

Jordy

Welker

Vincent

I was thinking Jordy and Vincent

RB

Chris Ivory

Shane Vereen

Bobby Rainey

Not too sure about Rainey, still feel like it's a bit too early and Forte and Bell were both held to fairly low numbers against lions D

I need 1 WR 1 RB and a flex out of this crew.

Ivory
Mendenhall
Allen
Nicks
K. Wright

Thanks

I know I asked this already but I am having a lot of indecision on my part.
Out of that group I guess I'd go Allen, but to be honest I dont like any of them that much.

Welp this is my last chance. Winner of my game will get the final Playoff spot. I'm in a tailspin. Who should I start as my RB2 and FLEX.....
It's PPR

Steven Jackson(tonight vs. NO)
Bobby Rainey(@DET)
Chris Ogbonnaya(vs. PIT)
Rod Streater(vs. TEN)
Steve Smith(vs. MIA)
Definitely Rainey and Smith. I like Smith for a good week and while Rainey is a risk I'd ride the hot hand at this point.

I'd like some input on who to start this week as well I can start 2 WRS and 2 RBS in this league, normal scoring

WR

Jordy

Welker

Vincent

I was thinking Jordy and Vincent

RB

Chris Ivory

Shane Vereen

Bobby Rainey

Not too sure about Rainey, still feel like it's a bit too early and Forte and Bell were both held to fairly low numbers against lions D
I'd go Vincent and Welker. I think Welker will have some motivation in this NE game and Peyton will look to get him the ball. Even though I'm a Pats fan I know our secondary is always capable of getting torched.

Just looked at money league and realized I am officially out of the playoff picture, my team managed to score the fewest points so far this season with this roster.

Cam Newton

Ray Rice

Reggie Bush

Larry Fitzgerald

Ty Hilton

Alfred Morris

Greg Olsen

49ers D

Matt Prater

I've had good guys on the roster at times as well (Eddie Royal when he was hot, Aishon Jeffrey, Marvin Jones, Hakeem Nicks, etc) and every single week who I start is a dud while my bench is amazing or I play against an opponent with fluke starters. The fantasy football gods are cruel sometimes.

Another ho-hum outing from Tony Gonzales, while my opponent had Pierre Thomas. Just a wonderful start to the week, as my playoff hopes just keep dwindling...

Alright guys... We still have a few days to go before Monday night, but I'm in a pickle. 49ers versus Redskins and I have both RG3 and Kaep. RG3 has been putting up much better points consistantly than Kaep, but the matchups work in the way opposite. Not sure how I should approach this one.

I can't in good conscience recommend anyone start Kaep. Not until Crabtree is back anyway. I had to stop starting him myself.

My TE's are J. Thomas and T. Wright. With Thomas status uncertain for Sundays night came should I drop Wright and pick up Paulson from the Redskins as my back up plan? Paulson does not play until Monday night and Jordan Reed is questionable with a concussion.

Trade deadline today. Guy in 2nd place wants to deal me Megatron and Keenan Allen for Lynch and VJax. Deal is in his advantage, but I'm in a big bind having Lynch on the bye this week. I might be able to sneak into the playoffs if I don't win out, but it will be tough. What do you think I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still dont know what to do this week. McCoy's bye week is really screwing my lineup choices. I dont know if i should sit Ivory against the Ravens or just keep him in there and hope he grinds some points out. All the "experts" seem to think Ivory is a must sit this week. Ok I will ask one more time need to set this and forget it. Since now it looks like i will be sweating J. Thomas injury all day Sunday with no real back up to play.

Need a RB, WR, and a Flex out of this crew.(My RB1 is Morris & WR1 is A. Johnson)

Ivory

Mendenhall

Allen

Hicks

Wright

Tough call. Both backs are really must sits, for different reasons.

Ivory is, without a doubt, the far more talented back, but the Raven defense, despite the up-and-down season, has done quite well against the run. Pretty sure they are in the top 5 for fewest points allowed to backs. Now, add to that the Geno Smith factor and who knows if Ivory will have many opportunities to touch the ball

Now, Mendenhall, despite his vomit-inducing 2.9 yards a carry, still is the "starter," due to the bizarre man crush Bruce Arians has for him. To me, he probably has the best chance of falling into the endzone, so I think I might go with him in that situation. I guess...

I'd go Allen and Wright for WR and Flex. Hicks just seems destined to never, ever get out of this funk. The combination of Eli's struggles and Hicks' assorted injuries has just made him so frustrating to deal with. And the weather report does not look good at all. Likely going to be in the low 30s with very strong winds. Could turn into a slugfest in the trenches.

Alright guys... We still have a few days to go before Monday night, but I'm in a pickle. 49ers versus Redskins and I have both RG3 and Kaep. RG3 has been putting up much better points consistantly than Kaep, but the matchups work in the way opposite. Not sure how I should approach this one.
I agree with DestroVega. Stay away from Kaepernick, start RG3.

Trade deadline today. Guy in 2nd place wants to deal me Megatron and Keenan Allen for Lynch and VJax. Deal is in his advantage, but I'm in a big bind having Lynch on the bye this week. I might be able to sneak into the playoffs if I don't win out, but it will be tough. What do you think I should do?
Just realized it's too late to give you any advice on this. Sorry, been busy the past few days and I haven't been to this thread. I was going to say I don't think I'd do the trade. I'm curious if you pulled the trigger on it or not.

I made the trade. I SHOULDN'T have made it, but I did, anyway. I'm in such a tight bind, and I really need to try and win the next 2 games. I gave up too much, I know, especially if Allen continues to struggle, but if he can bounce back, it might not be that bad of a trade. 4 out of Megatron's next 5 are at home, and he has a lot of really good matchups, so I am hoping for huge games out of him.

Tough call. Both backs are really must sits, for different reasons.

Ivory is, without a doubt, the far more talented back, but the Raven defense, despite the up-and-down season, has done quite well against the run. Pretty sure they are in the top 5 for fewest points allowed to backs. Now, add to that the Geno Smith factor and who knows if Ivory will have many opportunities to touch the ball

Now, Mendenhall, despite his vomit-inducing 2.9 yards a carry, still is the "starter," due to the bizarre man crush Bruce Arians has for him. To me, he probably has the best chance of falling into the endzone, so I think I might go with him in that situation. I guess...

I'd go Allen and Wright for WR and Flex. Hicks just seems destined to never, ever get out of this funk. The combination of Eli's struggles and Hicks' assorted injuries has just made him so frustrating to deal with. And the weather report does not look good at all. Likely going to be in the low 30s with very strong winds. Could turn into a slugfest in the trenches.
I think I am going to go with Ivory as my RB2 just because this was the main reason I picked him up was to cover McCoy's bye week and be my flex. I am also going with Wright and Allen but even with the bad groin and windy weather I think this is the week Nicks scores. The Cowboys have no one healthy on defense right now. I am also scared because my opponent has Cruz and he got them for 3 TD's in week one, and this game between us is for first place.

Asked about QBs earlier. Even though Big Ben won the popular vote out of the five or six guys I listed, I am curious. I'm still feeling Glennon is going to have a good game.

So between the two of them, while I imagine some still prefer Big Ben, how close would you predict them to be this week? That Detroit pass defense is too tempting to pass up.

It looks like Julius Thomas is likely out tonight vs New England. They're calling him a game time decision, but it's a dangerous risk to wait and see with him having the Sunday night game. I have him in two leagues. I'm starting Delanie Walker in one, and picked up Garrett Graham to start in the other.

I was mulling ALL week if I should pick someone up and bench Cam. He has struggled all year against good defenses, but after that performance on Monday night, I thought maybe, just maybe, he matured enough not to implode and play like utter crap. Oh well...

Big Ben and Glennon both scored 20 points today, so I found that quite funny considering. Gotta love having Josh Gordon and Jamaal Charles on the same team. Looking like I'll clinch at least the third seed today at worst.

I am 5-6 and playing the 1st ranked person in the league..

My remaining players: 

Cowboys Defense

DeMarco Murray

Ruen Randall

His remaining players:

Miles Austin

Wes Welker

Matt Prater

49ers defense

It's not looking good for me haha

bread's done