Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" Thread, 2014

Lacy went 5. Megatron went 8. Graham went 9.
Cool, thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how our first round goes, because the guy at #2 sometimes makes bizarre unexpected picks (one year he had 3 QB's before he took his first RB) but he somehow always ends up with a good team, and the guy at #4 is our league's perennial cellar-dweller, and he told me he's not going RB with his first pick because he always does that and his team always sucks. That's what makes me think it's possible Lacy could still be there for me.

Here's my team.  Standard scoring, non PPR, 10 team league.

QB Tony Romo

RB Le'Veon Bell

RB Adrian Peterson

WR AJ Green

WR Vincent Jackson

TE Vernon Davis

FLEX Pierre Garcon

D Bengals

K Graham Gano

Bench

RB Rashad Jennings

RB DeAngelo Williams

K Matt Prater

I kind of floundered on the Romo pick and took him over Cam, Foles, Kaepernick and Wilson.  My league (CBS Sports) awards an extra 2 points for every 20 yards over 20 per passing and rushing TD so I figured Romo would have the best chance at getting me those extra points as I don't expect Foles to have the same kind of year again.

This is only my second year doing fantasy football (and second year even seriously watching football) and this league is a lot more expensive than the league I was in last year so I'm hoping I can do pretty well.  What do you all think about my team?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how our first round goes, because the guy at #2 sometimes makes bizarre unexpected picks (one year he had 3 QB's before he took his first RB) but he somehow always ends up with a good team, and the guy at #4 is our league's perennial cellar-dweller, and he told me he's not going RB with his first pick because he always does that and his team always sucks. That's what makes me think it's possible Lacy could still be there for me.
Its definitely a possibility. Let me know who you end up with.

My complete team 10 man league:

QB: R. Wilson

RB: A. Peterson

RB: D. Murray

WR: D. Bryant

WR: T. Smith

TE: J. Cameron

FLEX: K. Moreno

D/ST: Denver

K: S. Suisham

I picked up Prater as a kicker also. Even though he's suspended.

my lineup for the CAG off topic league

QB Peyton Manning

RB CJ Spiller

RB M Ingram

WR Edleman

WR E Sanders

TE J Thomas

flex A Boldin

flex Davante freeman

D Broncos

K Tucker

bench

T. Eifert

K. Cousins

R. Turbin

J. Kearse

C. Latimer

D. Posey

E. Royal

Hoping Cousins becomes the starter or goes to St Louis

Here's my team. Standard scoring, non PPR, 10 team league.

QB Tony Romo

RB Le'Veon Bell

RB Adrian Peterson

WR AJ Green

WR Vincent Jackson

TE Vernon Davis

FLEX Pierre Garcon

D Bengals

K Graham Gano

Bench

RB Rashad Jennings

RB DeAngelo Williams

K Matt Prater

I kind of floundered on the Romo pick and took him over Cam, Foles, Kaepernick and Wilson. My league (CBS Sports) awards an extra 2 points for every 20 yards over 20 per passing and rushing TD so I figured Romo would have the best chance at getting me those extra points as I don't expect Foles to have the same kind of year again.

This is only my second year doing fantasy football (and second year even seriously watching football) and this league is a lot more expensive than the league I was in last year so I'm hoping I can do pretty well. What do you all think about my team?
I think your starting lineup looks solid. I don't think Romo is a terrible choice within that group of QB's. I think I'd take Cam over him, and flip a coin with Foles, but I'd take Romo over either Kaepernick or Wilson. Small roster, though. Does the league only draft 3 guys for the bench? I wouldn't have bothered with a 2nd kicker, I would have looked for a 2nd QB or another WR maybe.

I think your starting lineup looks solid. I don't think Romo is a terrible choice within that group of QB's. I think I'd take Cam over him, and flip a coin with Foles, but I'd take Romo over either Kaepernick or Wilson. Small roster, though. Does the league only draft 3 guys for the bench? I wouldn't have bothered with a 2nd kicker, I would have looked for a 2nd QB or another WR maybe.
Yeah, only 3 bench spots which is weird as hell to me. After drafting Williams I regretted it, but I'll pick someone up after a couple weeks to see who's injured or hot. I actually drafted Prater first then took Gano to fill in for 4 weeks. I really wanted Kelvin Benjamin as a bench player but someone took him as their FLEX, which surprised the hell out of me since Garcon was up at the time. Thanks for taking a look at my team.

My team in a 12-team 1/2 point PPR league:

QB Brady

WR Fitzgerald

WR Crabtree

RB Forte

RB Martin

TE Gronkowski

Flex Kendall Wright

K -- None --

DEF Steelers

Bench:

RB Tate

WR Bowe

RB Pierre Thomas

RB Fred Jackson

WR Hartline

RB Bradshaw

WR Cody Latimer

Need to drop someone to pick up a kicker - I'm thinking it'll be Bradshaw even though I see him winning the job over Richardson eventually.  Also keeping an eye on some other higher upside guys at WR (Dobson) or TE (Kelce) in case the Latimer hype doesn't come true.

My team in a 12-team 1/2 point PPR league:

QB Brady

WR Fitzgerald

WR Crabtree

RB Forte

RB Martin

TE Gronkowski

Flex Kendall Wright

K -- None --

DEF Steelers

Bench:

RB Tate

WR Bowe

RB Pierre Thomas

RB Fred Jackson

WR Hartline

RB Bradshaw

WR Cody Latimer

Need to drop someone to pick up a kicker - I'm thinking it'll be Bradshaw even though I see him winning the job over Richardson eventually. Also keeping an eye on some other higher upside guys at WR (Dobson) or TE (Kelce) in case the Latimer hype doesn't come true.
Welker being injured helps Latimer, but there is a chance he may not start and will only play in 4 WR sets.

Just finished this draft

12 team ppr .3 per rush

QB Russell Wilson

WR AJ Green

WR Julio Jones

RB Rashad Jennings

RB Reggie Bush

WRT Terrance Williams

TE Charles Clay

K Blair Walsh

DEF Seattle

BN Ray Rice

BN Brandin Cooks

BN Kelvin Benjamin

BN Tim Wright

BN James White

I waited too long on TE, Hopefully I dont eat too much shit there.

I must be playing with idiots in a couple leagues.

Peyton Manning has been a #2-#5 pick is every league so far. I was able to snag Charles with the 5th pick in one, and Forte with the 10th in another. I actually did pretty well in those, because I picked QBs in like the 8th round, and still got guys like Romo and Ryan. Not the best, but I think if they have a good season they can be top 10 guys.

I'm also trying to grasp the concept of the first round TE, but I got Jimmy Graham with the #12 in a 12 team league. I know he's good, but I've never even picked a WR in the first round, I'm old school, give me a horse to ride into the ground. I guess the game has changed though, and a WR is just as good, especially in a PPR league, and with the way that carries are split up around the league.

Peyton Manning has been a #2-#5 pick is every league so far. I was able to snag Charles with the 5th pick in one, and Forte with the 10th in another. I actually did pretty well in those, because I picked QBs in like the 8th round, and still got guys like Romo and Ryan. Not the best, but I think if they have a good season they can be top 10 guys.

I'm also trying to grasp the concept of the first round TE, but I got Jimmy Graham with the #12 in a 12 team league. I know he's good, but I've never even picked a WR in the first round, I'm old school, give me a horse to ride into the ground. I guess the game has changed though, and a WR is just as good, especially in a PPR league, and with the way that carries are split up around the league.
I think it's fair to say both Romo and Ryan could easily be in the top 10, and if they both have good seasons, they might both be top 5.

I like to just play for fun, but I get really into it. Tired of doing free leagues and having half the people end up inactive. If anybody is interested I set up a custom league on NFL.com. Pretty standard scoring, 10 team, draft at 5pm est today. I feel like RBs get way too much emphasis so I changed the standard roster to

1 QB
1 RB
2 WR
1 TE
1 WR/RB
1 WR/TE
1 K
1 D

Search for "Bill's League" under custom leagues if joining, password is Football.

I'm like you; I ALWAYS go RB with my first pick. I think it's going to be different this year, though. I'm picking 7th and there are 5 RB's I'd be happy to take in that spot. If they're all gone, I'll either be going Megatron, Demaryius Thomas, or.... Graham. A TE at 7th overall goes against every fantasy football instinct I have, but he's such a difference maker, it's pretty much like getting a top 5 WR. We'll see, I'm leaving for my draft in 20 minutes. I'll post the team I end up with here later.

Good luck to everyone doing their drafts today!

My team:

QB Peyton F. Manning

RB Doug Martin

RB Reggie Bush

WR Jordy Nelson

WR Pierre Garcon

TE Charles Clay

FLEX Frank Gore

D/ST Rams

K Nick Novak

BN Ben Tate

BN Sammy Watkins

BN T.Y. Hilton

BN Martellus Bennett

BN DeAndre Hopkins

BN Andy Dalton

BN Justin Hunter

What do you guys thing?

My team:

QB Peyton F. Manning

RB Doug Martin

RB Reggie Bush

WR Jordy Nelson

WR Pierre Garcon

TE Charles Clay

FLEX Frank Gore

D/ST Rams

K Nick Novak

BN Ben Tate

BN Sammy Watkins

BN T.Y. Hilton

BN Martellus Bennett

BN DeAndre Hopkins

BN Andy Dalton

BN Justin Hunter

What do you guys thing?
How many teams? Scoring format?

Just got back from my draft.  Was happily surprised to have Peterson fall to me at #7.  Here's my team:

QB Tony Romo

QB Ben Roethlisberger

RB Adrian Peterson

RB Zac Stacy

RB Ray Rice

RB Khiry Robinson

RB Knile Davis

WR Julio Jones

WR Antonio Brown

WR Wes Welker

WR Brian Hartline

TE Jordan Cameron

TE Heath Miller

K Stephen Gostkowski

DST Carolina

DST Buffalo

We start only 2 WR's and no flex.  I normally don't bother drafting a 2nd DST, but I noticed the Bills are hosting the Jets during Carolina's bye week, so I figured, why not.  A couple guys I was targeting got picked right before I planned to take them, but overall I like my team.

Drafted (I think) my last team yesterday

10 team ppr, small ppc

Qb Cutler

WR AJ Green

WR V. Cruz

WR C. Patterson

RB Mccoy

RB Murray

Flex Vereen

TE Pitta

K Walsh

DEF Cleveland

BN Crabtree

BN Kendall Wright

BN Joique Bell

BN Kelvin Benjamin

BN Jordan Matthews

BN Russell Wilson

One team in that league looks fantastic, they drafted

Qb Cam

WR D Thomas

WR A Brown

WR A Jeffery

RB Lacy

RB Jennings

Flex V Jackson

TE Reed

K Hauschka

DEF Rams

BN R Rice

BN Woodhead

BN R Wayne

BN Shorts

BN Ertz

BN Alex Smith

The bonuses in that league are for big play and yardage totals, that roster should do really well.

25 yards per passing point, bonuses at 225 (2), 300 (5), and 400 yards (10)

8 yards per rushing/receiving, bonuses at 80, 100, and 150 yards - same point scale as above

1 point per 40 yard attempt/rush/reception, 2 points per 40 yard TD

10 teams

QB - Romo

WR - Calvin Johnson

WR - Julio Jones

RB - CJ?K

RB - Pierce

TE - Cameron

Flex - Cobb

Flex - VJax

BN - Eric Decker

BN - E. Sanders

BN - Moreno

BN - Jeremy Hill

BN - Clay

BN - Ingram

Will stream K/Def/D from week to week, drafted Derrick Johnson and Willis in the last two rounds.

My team:

QB Peyton F. Manning

RB Doug Martin

RB Reggie Bush

WR Jordy Nelson

WR Pierre Garcon

TE Charles Clay

FLEX Frank Gore

D/ST Rams

K Nick Novak

BN Ben Tate

BN Sammy Watkins

BN T.Y. Hilton

BN Martellus Bennett

BN DeAndre Hopkins

BN Andy Dalton

BN Justin Hunter

What do you guys thing?
You've got a well balanced team. Should probably at least be middle of the pack.

12-team, PPR, 5th pick

QB - Foles

QB - E. Manning

RB - Morris

RB - Gerhart

RB - J. Bell

RB - Ingram

RB - Bradshaw

RB - James White

WR - Megaton

WR - A. Brown

WR - Wallace

WR - Cooks

WR - Hopkins

WR - Latimer

TE - J. Thomas

TE - Ertz

DEF - Arizona

K - Gould

It's a toss up for my other flex spot this week...julian Edelman or mjd...ppr league..any thoughts?

Most likely going with Edelman

Starting lineup for my main ff league this week:
A.Rodgers
J. Charles
R. Bush
T. Smith
E. Decker
V. Davis
J. Cameron
M. Jones Drew/J.Edelman?
AZ Defense
P. Dawson

Starting lineup for my main ff league this week:
A.Rodgers
J. Charles
R. Bush
T. Smith
E. Decker
V. Davis
J. Cameron
M. Jones Drew/J.Edelman?
AZ Defense
P. Dawson
Edleman... in Oakland you alos have Dmac running, and well I don't trust really anyone on the Raiders until they can prove it regulalry since they have been so bad. You know edleman will get some catches.

another vote for edelman. I tend to not play rbs against the jets the last couple years. ppr heavy rbs I dont mind as much, like either of your starting rbs.

In my half point PPR league - 

Ben Tate @ PIT or Kendall Wright @ KC?

Also considering offering the following trade:

I send:

Fred Jackson

Brian Hartline

I get:

Reggie Bush

The other team only has Megatron, Golden Tate, and Jerricho Cotchery at WR after dropping Wes Welker.  Is that a fair offer?

^ why would they drop Welker with that WR corps? That team is trash.

I would lean making that deal but only slightly. Bell might be as good as Reggie this year when all is done. Fred Jackson also always seems useful

In my half point PPR league -

Ben Tate @ PIT or Kendall Wright @ KC?

Also considering offering the following trade:

I send:

Fred Jackson

Brian Hartline

I get:

Reggie Bush

The other team only has Megatron, Golden Tate, and Jerricho Cotchery at WR after dropping Wes Welker. Is that a fair offer?
I'm leaning very slightly toward Wright over Tate. Feels like a coin toss, really, but given the choice, I'll say Wright.

Your trade offer is not completely lopsided, but if I was the other guy, I'd pass. Can't hurt to try, though. With him hurting at WR, he may bite.

I got talked into joining an 8-team league. Did the draft last night and got Welker in the last (15th) round. Good deal if he's able to stay healthy after the suspension.

Should I start Rashad Jennings or Pierre Garcon for my FLEX? Non-PPR, leaning towards Garcon.
If it were ppr id say jennings. I expect a decent amount of dump offs and quick outlets to him theyre gonna have problems running on that front. In your case id go garcon.

I think I might actually get back into fantasy football. I haven't played it in many years, but I imagine it's gotten a lot more fun over the years. 

You guys need to pick up Josh Gordon in every league you play in. A new drug testing policy is about to be agreed upon and current players will most likely have suspensions overturned. Weed levels will be increased for a positive test and amphetamines will be moved to substance abuse instead of a PED violation. This means Gordon and Welker could possibly play as early as Sunday.

The NFL and NFLPA are in talks about a new drug policy. There is still a ways to go. Also, there has been zero indication so far that the new policy would have any effect on current suspensions.

You guys need to pick up Josh Gordon in every league you play in. A new drug testing policy is about to be agreed upon and current players will most likely have suspensions overturned. Weed levels will be increased for a positive test and amphetamines will be moved to substance abuse instead of a PED violation. This means Gordon and Welker could possibly play as early as Sunday.
You need to drop some links if you're going to post this kind of stuff. Otherwise you won't be taken seriously.

I put in for Gordon (already have Welker) as well.  The way add/drops work in my league is that anyone can put in requests anytime during the week, and league site automatically puts the moves through Thursday morning around 2:00 a.m. based on worst-to-first waiver priority.  The story is front and center on our league page, so I'm sure by Thursday, everyone in the league will have added Gordon.  Then he'll go to the team with the worst record, with the tiebreaker being fewest points scored.  So whoever shits the bed the most this week will probably end up with him.

I would pick up Gordon but my league only has 3 bench spots and i have Matt Prater taking up one of them.  I can't afford to have 2 suspended players.

bread's done
Back