Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

[quote name='Kilraven']It would be a cold day in Hell before I trade White for Schaub. That said, I don't like the Vick/Mannigham for Ben/Austin/Addai. I really don't think you're getting that much with Addai, though. He's going to be in a RBBC and who knows how long he'll even last this year. I think you're decent with NO backs (when the Saints play well, they're a top 5 run team), Beanie, and Tolbert. You're receivers I question. Britt is going to be suspended (sometime), Edwards has no QB (Damn you, San Fran!) and Branch is nothing since Ocho arrived. You need receivers, man.[/QUOTE]

the dude also has andre johnson, may be i should make a pitch for him?

[quote name='Skooba81']the dude also has andre johnson, may be i should make a pitch for him?[/QUOTE]

If you could get AJ swapped in for some kind of Ben/Austin/AJ deal, I'd do that. Right now everything is too early to tell, so if he wants Vick he needs to pay for it. If the season predictions wind up accurate (they never do) then you're getting the shaft. Which, right now, is how you need to look at it. He wants the #1 QB in the league, he needs to pay the piper.

[quote name='gbpackers94']WR= Reggie Wayne, Jordy Nelson, Julio Jones, Mike Thomas, and Danny Amendola. Also CJHoldout is who I was going to trade but then I got this offer, and CedBenson is looking pretty good in this preseason (against the panthers).[/QUOTE]

Pretty solid receiving corp. I don't know, this would be a tough trigger to pull seeing the season hasn't started. Oh, and everyone looks good against the Panthers.

[quote name='Skooba81']ok so he counter offered, my vick and manningham, for his Roethlisberger, nate washington and miles austin[/QUOTE]

See above. Also, I don't care if Hassleback is QB or not, forget a low tier WR that you may never start.

Well my in person 10-team Non-PPR draft is in 2 hours. I drew the 2nd pick, but I traded that spot with the #4, basically banking on Ray Rice being there. I didn't like the #2 spot if say, Aaron Rodgers went #1 (the guy picking one said he might take him there) I didn't wanna have to choose between Rice, AP and Foster. I'd rather let the decision come to me at 4 and then I get a player 2 spots higher on the snake.

Fingers crossed it doesn't blow up in my face, because being a non-ppr, if Rice, AP and Foster are all gone, I don't have a clue which direction to go. I'm almost intrigued to swing for the fences and take Run-DMC there.

[quote name='DestroVega']Well my in person 10-team Non-PPR draft is in 2 hours. I drew the 2nd pick, but I traded that spot with the #4, basically banking on Ray Rice being there. I didn't like the #2 spot if say, Aaron Rodgers went #1 (the guy picking one said he might take him there) I didn't wanna have to choose between Rice, AP and Foster. I'd rather let the decision come to me at 4 and then I get a player 2 spots higher on the snake.

Fingers crossed it doesn't blow up in my face, because being a non-ppr, if Rice, AP and Foster are all gone, I don't have a clue which direction to go. I'm almost intrigued to swing for the fences and take Run-DMC there.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Jamaal Chrales?

just being that it's a non-ppr, Charles gets hurt a bit. He also loses goal line to Thomas Jones and they have Dexter McCluster.

It's all good though, I go Rice. Here's my team

Romo
Stafford

Rice
Gore
Benson
Addai
Scott

C. Johnson
Austin
Garcon
Little
Britt

Jim Grhamn
Dustin Keller

Akers

SF Def

I've got my keeper league draft today, and I'm hoping my power doesn't go out since I'm in the Northeast. You keep 6 from the previous year, and I have the fifth pick this year based on points from last year. I really like Felix Jones this year, but I don't know if he'll be around when I pick, and I also think I might be delusional.

[quote name='Javery']So my draft is Thursday - I have the #2 pick. When would you take Foster or CJ?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't draft CJ second, and I am not sure about the extent of Foster's injury, but 100% get AP if he is available. I would maybe even consider Charles or Rice before CJ.

AP is most likely going #1. If not, I will definitely be drafting him without question. Foster might miss the first game - no one knows how bad he is hurt but a hamstring is an awful nagging injury that could kill an entire season. CJ is probably going to hold out from the regular season based on the available information. I don't think Charles is worth a #2 overall pick - the Chiefs are going to regress big time this year. Ray Rice is probably the best alternative. Ugh. Now I wish I was drafting later...

Yeah, I wouldn't take CJ at #2, unless you want to make sure you get his backup later. There has been next to no progress in his negotiations. Foster's hamstring is a recurring injury, which isn't a good sign, and also might mean drafting his backup. If McKinnie gets in shape, Baltimore should have a good line, but they typically don't give Rice the goal line carries. Those might go to Ricky Williams this year, and in KC, they usually go to Thomas Jones instead of Charles.

I'd probably take Rice if I had to have a RB.

AP & Rice are the clear top 2 for me. The Ravens are saying Rice will see goaline carries this year & I already saw him have a goaline TD in preseason.

Foster, CJ, MJD & Charles just have too many question marks.

I've already made multiple moves on our waiver wire. thank goodness we don't have a limit. i dropped roy williams for jimmy graham (hoping to trade jason witten), delone carter for ben tate, and then ben tate for bernard scott... and ill probably end up dropping bernard scott for someone else before the season starts.

I'm probably taking Rice with my #2 pick assuming AP goes first. I'll probably try and grab an elite QB and WR on the come back since we are doing a 2QB league this year so juggling that with byes and stuff will be tough.

everyone is up on carter because they have already made the assumption that addai is gonna miss a big part of the season with some kind of injury and brown has been such a disappointment that he could see alot more action as the season goes on

OK...I hate to ask again but people in my league really seem to want Vick from me and I have another trade proposal...a guy in my league offered me Larry Fitzgerald and Matt Stafford for Vick...I am contemplating this if for no other reason than the fact that my WR corp is really thin...I currently have R. White, Britt, Manningham, Braylon Edwards and Branch...what do you guys think?

[quote name='Skooba81']OK...I hate to ask again but people in my league really seem to want Vick from me and I have another trade proposal...a guy in my league offered me Larry Fitzgerald and Matt Stafford for Vick...I am contemplating this if for no other reason than the fact that my WR corp is really thin...I currently have R. White, Britt, Manningham, Braylon Edwards and Branch...what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Damn. My initial reaction is: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Because Stafford doesn't seem to stay healthy.

Then I thought, Fitz is damn tempting. Kolb can sling it and that is what Fitz and Doucet need. But, who are you going to use at QB? Certainly not Stafford (unless he really proves himself a points machine this year). Bolstering your WR without a QB is asking for trouble.

[quote name='Skooba81']OK...I hate to ask again but people in my league really seem to want Vick from me and I have another trade proposal...a guy in my league offered me Larry Fitzgerald and Matt Stafford for Vick...I am contemplating this if for no other reason than the fact that my WR corp is really thin...I currently have R. White, Britt, Manningham, Braylon Edwards and Branch...what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Do you start 3 WR or 2? Do you have a flex position? If so, how are your RBs?

I ask because White and Britt are a pretty good 1/2 combo. Stafford has looked good, but I'd worry about him getting injured as much as Vick. If you start 3 WR, then it might be worth considering the trade. Does the guy have another QB he can give up or is Stafford his starter?

my league starts 2 wr 2 rb and a flex. At RB I have wells, ingram, pierre thomas and cj spiller...I know my RB situation looks kind of weak right now but there is alot of upside especially if ingram and wells pan out this year. The other guy also has jay cutler as his other QB, although I am worried about stafford getting hurt the guy has a huge upside if he can stay healthy...i kind of trust him more than i would cutler...i am seriously torn on this one...

[quote name='Javery']So my draft is Thursday - I have the #2 pick. When would you take Foster or CJ?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Javery']I'm probably taking Rice with my #2 pick assuming AP goes first. I'll probably try and grab an elite QB and WR on the come back since we are doing a 2QB league this year so juggling that with byes and stuff will be tough.[/QUOTE]My draft is Saturday, and I'm picking 2nd as well. I'm curious to see how it goes, because the guy who is picking first has already told me "Sorry, I'm going to take your guy, Foster" (I had him last year) But... that was before he hurt his hamstring for the second time. I've been fairly certain I was getting AP, but now if that guy gets scared off Foster and takes AP himself, I'm not sure what I'll do with that second pick, either.

I've been doing a lot of mock drafts on our league site (CBS) to try out different strategies, like RB-RB-WR-WR-QB or RB-QB-WR-RB-WR to get an idea what my team might look like if I went that way, but I'm not sure how much those will help. In one I did today, I took Philip Rivers as the 5th QB off the board with my Rd 3 pick (26th overall), but I know for a fact the top 5 QBs will be long gone before that pick in my real draft. Every year I toy with the idea of taking an elite QB early, every year I end up going RB-RB-WR with my first 3 picks, and every year I'm in the hunt at the end, so I'm not sure why I still debate this with myself each year :lol:

[quote name='Skooba81']my league starts 2 wr 2 rb and a flex. At RB I have wells, ingram, pierre thomas and cj spiller...I know my RB situation looks kind of weak right now but there is alot of upside especially if ingram and wells pan out this year. The other guy also has jay cutler as his other QB, although I am worried about stafford getting hurt the guy has a huge upside if he can stay healthy...i kind of trust him more than i would cutler...i am seriously torn on this one...[/QUOTE]I'm almost afraid to even give you an opinion on this, because it is a really tough call. I don't recall the other trade offers you were getting for Vick, but with his demand so high, I'm wondering if you could get a similar offer, but with a stud RB instead of the stud WR (along with a viable QB who maybe isn't as much of an injury risk). I feel better about your WRs as they are now than your RBs. I like Ingram, and think he'll have a nice year, but I don't trust Wells as much.

[quote name='Skooba81']my league starts 2 wr 2 rb and a flex. At RB I have wells, ingram, pierre thomas and cj spiller...I know my RB situation looks kind of weak right now but there is alot of upside especially if ingram and wells pan out this year. The other guy also has jay cutler as his other QB, although I am worried about stafford getting hurt the guy has a huge upside if he can stay healthy...i kind of trust him more than i would cutler...i am seriously torn on this one...[/QUOTE]

honestly, given your situation. i'd probably lean towards taking the trade then. your RBs do have lot of update, but Fitz will make your team a little more secure on the flex side.

i'm a big fan of the counter offer, maybe try and get another player from him. throw in spiller low like that and try and upgrade RB. worst case scenario, take the original deal.

[quote name='Skooba81']my league starts 2 wr 2 rb and a flex. At RB I have wells, ingram, pierre thomas and cj spiller...I know my RB situation looks kind of weak right now but there is alot of upside especially if ingram and wells pan out this year. The other guy also has jay cutler as his other QB, although I am worried about stafford getting hurt the guy has a huge upside if he can stay healthy...i kind of trust him more than i would cutler...i am seriously torn on this one...[/QUOTE]
I'd agree that your RBs look weak, does he have anyone decent there to sweeten the deal? Or if this is a keeper league, maybe you can squeeze him for a draft pick as well.

Personally, I wouldn't like Vick on my team. I know he blew up last year, but his style and the O-line for Philly makes it seem like he'll be hurt at some point. Of course, Vick is getting a fat new contract, so if he does get hurt, he'll have ample opportunities to come back and get his job back if it's a keeper league. If Stafford can stay healthy, he looks like he could have a big year, but that's a big if. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for a full season yet.
As far as Fitzgerald, I have him in my keeper league, and last year was painful due to the QB situation. I'm hoping Kolb can improve that, and at least in the preseason, he has.

Want to know everyone's opinion on when to pick defenses. In the past, I've picked the 5th or so ranked def off the board, ensuring that while I don't get something dominant like Pitt, I still get a good one. However, I'm really thinking of picking one either last or next to last (doesn't matter as the other one will be a kicker), and just playing matchups the whole season. I figure I can pick up mediocre defenses to go up against the Panthers or Bengals (no offense), and plus I won't have to worry about having to stash an elite defense on my bench for their bye week. Thoughts?

I only pick Ds if it is a stud defense and I'm just throwing picks away. Every year there are defenses on the WW that play better than expected. With that in mind, I tend to draft more on sleepers than Defs and K.

Once the first defense goes, I starting thinking about drafting one. I really like to get a top 7 defense, because then you never have to worry about it except for their bye week.

[quote name='Dendaman']Want to know everyone's opinion on when to pick defenses. In the past, I've picked the 5th or so ranked def off the board, ensuring that while I don't get something dominant like Pitt, I still get a good one. However, I'm really thinking of picking one either last or next to last (doesn't matter as the other one will be a kicker), and just playing matchups the whole season. I figure I can pick up mediocre defenses to go up against the Panthers or Bengals (no offense), and plus I won't have to worry about having to stash an elite defense on my bench for their bye week. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]I just looked back at my last two drafts. In 2009, I took Minnesota with the 3rd pick of the 7th round (75th overall). They were just the 3rd DST to go (Pitt and NYG went 1-2) I remember feeling pretty comfortable slotting them in every week. Last year I waited until the 10th round (112th overall) and I took Miami, which was the 10th DST off the board at that point. I remember always feeling like DST was by far the weakest link on my team last year. I'm thinking seriously about using my #2 slot in the 7th round this year to grab either Pittsburgh, NYJ, or Green Bay. If I were more in the middle of the pack, I might hold off until round 8 or 9, but with so long between picks this year, I think I'll be the guy who starts the panic stampede of DST's. :evil:

My main draft is coming up Sunday morning. And one thing on my mind (more than it should be) is QB. When the top 6 or so are gone (I have Brees at #6 currently), I'm looking at Matt Ryan and Tony Romo for 7/8 but feel town between he two. Now, if Aaron Rodgers manages to fall to me at 10 (I pick 10th out of 10), he's mine. But if I decide to wait until the 3rd round (pick #25), I'm trying to figure out what may be there. Which is tough seeing as the guys in this league love drafting QB early.

But I think Romo / Ryan may have a chance at being there. Ryan is intriguing as everything I'm reading indicates the Falcons will go to a pass heavy attack this year (and Turner is getting older). Romo on the other hand has always had the ability and players, just can't seem to stay healthy. So to me, it feels like Ryan has the higher upside, but Romo is the safer pick. Thoughts?

[quote name='Danimal']My draft is Saturday, and I'm picking 2nd as well. I'm curious to see how it goes, because the guy who is picking first has already told me "Sorry, I'm going to take your guy, Foster" (I had him last year) But... that was before he hurt his hamstring for the second time. I've been fairly certain I was getting AP, but now if that guy gets scared off Foster and takes AP himself, I'm not sure what I'll do with that second pick, either.

I've been doing a lot of mock drafts on our league site (CBS) to try out different strategies, like RB-RB-WR-WR-QB or RB-QB-WR-RB-WR to get an idea what my team might look like if I went that way, but I'm not sure how much those will help. In one I did today, I took Philip Rivers as the 5th QB off the board with my Rd 3 pick (26th overall), but I know for a fact the top 5 QBs will be long gone before that pick in my real draft. Every year I toy with the idea of taking an elite QB early, every year I end up going RB-RB-WR with my first 3 picks, and every year I'm in the hunt at the end, so I'm not sure why I still debate this with myself each year :lol:[/QUOTE]

Now that CJ is signed up I'm planning to take him at #2 overall instead of Ray Rice. Unfortunately that looks like the only pick I'll be able to make. Stupid work scheduled a 10 p.m. conference call right in the middle of when my draft is going to be so it looks like I'll be auto drafting. Screws the entire season for me.

[quote name='Javery']Now that CJ is signed up I'm planning to take him at #2 overall instead of Ray Rice. Unfortunately that looks like the only pick I'll be able to make. Stupid work scheduled a 10 p.m. conference call right in the middle of when my draft is going to be so it looks like I'll be auto drafting. Screws the entire season for me.[/QUOTE]

It's a conference call, can't you do both?

[quote name='JStryke']My main draft is coming up Sunday morning. And one thing on my mind (more than it should be) is QB. When the top 6 or so are gone (I have Brees at #6 currently), I'm looking at Matt Ryan and Tony Romo for 7/8 but feel town between he two. Now, if Aaron Rodgers manages to fall to me at 10 (I pick 10th out of 10), he's mine. But if I decide to wait until the 3rd round (pick #25), I'm trying to figure out what may be there. Which is tough seeing as the guys in this league love drafting QB early.

But I think Romo / Ryan may have a chance at being there. Ryan is intriguing as everything I'm reading indicates the Falcons will go to a pass heavy attack this year (and Turner is getting older). Romo on the other hand has always had the ability and players, just can't seem to stay healthy. So to me, it feels like Ryan has the higher upside, but Romo is the safer pick. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Romo was blowing up the stat sheet before he got hurt last year. Even taking into consideration that his O-line got him destroyed last year, I think he's a bargain at where he's being drafted...I think there's a decent chance of him being a top 5 QB this year.

Ryan should have a better year...Julio Jones looked pretty good this preseason, along with Harry Douglas. However, I've been waiting for Ryan to breakout for a couple of years now. :roll:

Another one you may want to target in this group of QBs is Matt Schaub. A couple of years ago he had the injury-prone label, and yet has started every game the past two seasons. Solid running game, best WR in the league, and back-to-back 4,000 yard seasons...I think his best years are still ahead of him. Just needs to up his TD total.

So I'd go Romo, and if not then probably Ryan (b/c of his long overdue upside paying off), and Schaub.

I've got my draft coming up later this afternoon, and I'm picking 2nd. The guy ahead of me has been saying he's taking Arian Foster, even with the hamstring concerns. My plan has been to go with AP second, and if he changes his mind and grabs AP at #1, then I'd take Ray Rice (we give 0.5 PPR) second.

With Chris Johnson signed, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I know his holdout puts him at a little more risk for injury, but he's a tough guy to pass on. What do you guys think?

I would take Rice ahead of Johnson right now, especially in a PPR league...Rice has always been a big part of the passing game and with mcgahee gone he is going to see more goalline work

That's the way I'm leaning. I hope it's true what they're saying about letting him stay in when they're at the goal line. That's the only thing about Rice that worries me a bit.

Well, I have about an hour before I leave for the draft, so now the question is: do I spend that hour joining one last mock draft on my league site, doing some last minute research online..... or playing Bioshock 2 since my wife took the kids out and I have the house to myself. :D

I have an RB question for you. Same league (10th out of 10). 99% I'm taking t least one RB, and while it's hard to even predict what will be there in that category knowing this league, how do you all feel on MJD? He can be a beast, but something I read over on Fantrax the other night was not very positive and sounds like there's potential for a down year.

Also, would you say it's worth spending a flier on Kendall Hunter late? Hearing positive things on the radio, and we all know Gore will get injured at some point. Just a matter of when / how long.

WR question on a couple guys I ended up with but haven't seen anything on in the preseason. Dez Bryant and Vincent Jackson, how have they looked? If good I should do ok.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']WR question on a couple guys I ended up with but haven't seen anything on in the preseason. Dez Bryant and Vincent Jackson, how have they looked? If good I should do ok.[/QUOTE]
Vincent Jackson has looked great. I haven't seen much of Dez Bryant though.

Just got back from my draft. I have mixed feelings about my team. I like my WRs, and I feel like my #1 QB was a nice value pick in Round 5, but I'm thin at RB, and I waited a bit too long to take a TE. Here's my team:

QB
Peyton Manning
Sam Bradford

RB
Ray Rice
Ahmad Bradshaw
Fred Jackson
Willis McGahee
Montario Hardesty

WR
Hakeem Nicks
Vincent Jackson