Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

emg28: I would start Rex Grossman. He got a majority of first team reps during the preseason while the other two didn't, so he is the most likely to be on the same page as his receivers.

Javery: I would start Kolb. I think he will have a great game against Carolina.

Okay so I have a very strange team (10 team league and drafted 9th). And I feel like I have a lot of strong running backs, I just do not know who to start.

I have: R Rice, M Turner, L McCoy, F Gore, and D Williams.

I can start 3. I feel like R Rice is a must start, but out of the others I am not sure. Was thinking Gore and Turner. Any thoughts?

Looking solely at matchups, I'd go with McCoy (vs. STL) and Gore (vs. SEA). Sit Turner this week as Chicago has been strong against the run for a while, and there's a large possibility that Carolina is gonna fall behind early and abandon the run.

Edit: Also, look into trading one of them for a WR or something. You're gonna run into this situation each week, and you're bound to leave points on your bench.

I honestly do not know... I was nervous when the 8th guy was choosing. He took Vick instead. For some reason in my league there was a run on QBs and WR early.

I got Gore round 4 and Williams round 8. I am hoping to have some trade fodder to patch up my mediocre QB and WR selection.

Here is the rest of my team. As you can see I am weak at QB and WR.
2011BBruiserFF.jpg

^I would start Eli.

Two questions for my first week. First league: Addai or Ochocinco at flex? Second league: Moreno, Reggie Bush, or Ryan Matthews at RB2?

I hate you Peyton.

I picked up Orton & I'm starting him over Flacco. I'm already starting Rice vs the Steelers & adding in JF is just too risky for my taste.

[quote name='shinryuu']^I would start Eli.

Two questions for my first week. First league: Addai or Ochocinco at flex? Second league: Moreno, Reggie Bush, or Ryan Matthews at RB2?[/QUOTE]

Start Addai until Ocho proves he can actually contribute to the offense.

And start Moreno.

[quote name='E_G_Man']Here is the rest of my team. As you can see I am weak at QB and WR.
2011BBruiserFF.jpg
[/QUOTE]

How the hell did you get McCoy, Gore, Turner and Rice? That is ridiculous.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How the hell did you get McCoy, Gore, Turner and Rice? That is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

The first four rounds I drafted RBs. I could not believe that these players were still available. It was a live draft and every team was present. The early demand for QBs and a few questionable picks from other teams really helped me out. (Beanie Wells went in the second round....)

[quote name='E_G_Man']The first four rounds I drafted RBs. I could not believe that these players were still available. It was a live draft and every team was present. The early demand for QBs and a few questionable picks from other teams really helped me out. (Beanie Wells went in the second round....)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you should win this league very easily, in that case.

I just sent a text to my buddy and he said he would do this trade, so do you think I should send it over?

My current RBs:
LeSean McCoy
Jahvid Best
Beanie Wells
James Starks
Delone Carter

My other TE is Jimmy Graham, I picked him up anticipating I might try and trade Witten since he is one of my most movable assets. My league is notoriously stingy with RBs. If this trade went though I'd probably drop Carter and pick up another TE off the waivers like Aaron Hernandez (I think he's there) just in case.
Well?

Edit: I give Jason Witten, I get Marshawn Lynch. whoops!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I just sent a text to my buddy and he said he would do this trade, so do you think I should send it over?

My current RBs:
LeSean McCoy
Jahvid Best
Beanie Wells
James Starks
Delone Carter

My other TE is Jimmy Graham, I picked him up anticipating I might try and trade Witten since he is one of my most movable assets. My league is notoriously stingy with RBs. If this trade went though I'd probably drop Carter and pick up another TE off the waivers like Aaron Hernandez (I think he's there) just in case.
Well?[/QUOTE]

What's the trade? I think maybe I missed something.....

Also, Graham is a great pick-up, and personally I wouldn't bother with a back-up TE.

Trying to decide between starting Cassell (vs Buffalo) or Orton (vs Oakland). I have Matt Ryan also, but I feel safer using a quarterback going against a defense like Buffalo and Oakland opposed to Chicago.

Ramstoria - I'd only do it if you feel like you can't get something better down the road for Witten. Not a huge Lynch fan, but perhaps after last year's playoffs he'll have an expanded role with the team.

4thHorseman - I think Orton seems like a good start this week. Last year, the Oakland / Denver games had combined total scores of 63 and 62. That's a lot of fantasy goodness (although admittedly, one was an Oakland blowout).

Missed most of today's game. Couldn't start them this week due to question marks, but I gotta say, I think I'm really liking my picks of Nelson / Starks going forward.

[quote name='JStryke']Missed most of today's game. Couldn't start them this week due to question marks, but I gotta say, I think I'm really liking my picks of Nelson / Starks going forward.[/QUOTE]

I have Starks as well, and the game looked promising, but he's not going to be in my starting line up anytime soon. Starks just happened to get the TD last night, other than that Grant and Starks had almost identical nights statistically and split carries essentially 50/50. If Starks starts to pull away or Grant goes down with an injury though, he could be the steal of the draft.

He may never sniff mine either. He has to get by Hillis, MJD, and Greene to even have a shot. Nelson on the other hand...

But for Grant, I think it may be sooner rather than later. He just all around seems to be the better runner. I don't know if it's because of Grant's injury or what, but it's promising, no doubt.

Can't figure out who to start at WR!!!

Percy Harvin or Mike Williams?
Someone help! They are both the go to guys on offense right now I'm leaning Mike Williams but I can just see Harvin having a big game.

Tampa Bay MW or Seattle MW?

Edit: If it is the Tampa Bay one, definitely start him. As far as Seattle MW goes, this may be a good week to play him with Rice out.

It looks like Derrick Ward is in line to get the start for the Texans should Foster not be able to go. Anyone think he's worth an add/start, or is Tate still the go-to guy?

PRETTY set on my line-ups for my league... this is my last lingering question.

Malcolm Floyd or DeAngelo Williams for flex? I really like Floyd this week.

The other option would be to sit Dez Bryant or Ochocino, start Floyd in their place and keep DeAngelo in the flex. I know it doesn't look like Chad is meshing in the Patriots system yet, but I just have this feeling that Belicheck will do his darndest to get Chad the ball.

[quote name='iSuperfly']Can't figure out who to start at WR!!!

Percy Harvin or Mike Williams?
Someone help! They are both the go to guys on offense right now I'm leaning Mike Williams but I can just see Harvin having a big game.[/QUOTE]I'd roll with Williams this week, assuming it's Tampa's Mike Williams we're talking about.

[quote name='Dendaman']^My gut feeling is to start Floyd, DeAngelo, and Dez. I'm just not a believer in Ocho yet.[/QUOTE]I agree with this. Sounds like Revis will be covering Austin, so I think Romo will be looking Bryant's way a lot. Ocho may have himself a big year, but he'd need to show me something before I'd feel good about starting him just yet.

By the way, am I being a moron for even considering benching Ray Rice this week? I mean, I took him as the second overall pick in our draft; I can't bench him Week 1, can I? My RBs are Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, Willis McGahee and Montario Hardesty.

Rice had less than 100 yards total on the ground against Pittsburgh last year in 3 games (including playoffs) To make matters worse, the guy I'm playing this week has the Steelers as his starting DST. The cherry on top is that I bleed Steelers black and gold. Nothing like when you have to split your loyalties in fantasy. :wall:

So I've got Rice and Bradshaw starting. I have to leave that alone... right?

I have the same concern with Mendenhall(vs. BAL) and Turner(vs. CHI). I have good backup options(Hightower, Benson, Tate), but I know if I swap them out they end up getting a couple TDs somehow. I think Tate could have a huge game if Foster can't go. I know they are saying Ward is the starter if Foster is out, but I see Tate stealing the show. No Peyton Manning could mean a Texans lead, which could lead to a lot of Houston rushing against Indy's weak rush D.

Anyone gambling on Tate this week?

[quote name='Danimal']By the way, am I being a moron for even considering benching Ray Rice this week? I mean, I took him as the second overall pick in our draft; I can't bench him Week 1, can I? My RBs are Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, Willis McGahee and Montario Hardesty.

Rice had less than 100 yards total on the ground against Pittsburgh last year in 3 games (including playoffs) To make matters worse, the guy I'm playing this week has the Steelers as his starting DST. The cherry on top is that I bleed Steelers black and gold. Nothing like when you have to split your loyalties in fantasy. :wall:

So I've got Rice and Bradshaw starting. I have to leave that alone... right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. You gotta use him.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Felix Jones(@NYJ) or Beanie Wells(vs.CAR).[/QUOTE]

I like Felix a lot, he is one of the dudes I really think is gonna breakout this year. With that said, I don't think that will necessarily start week 1. I like Well because of the match-up.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Yep. You gotta use him.

I like Felix a lot, he is one of the dudes I really think is gonna breakout this year. With that said, I don't think that will necessarily start week 1. I like Well because of the match-up.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jimbo, Felix looked great in the pre-season, and I think he'll have a big year, but the matchup favors Beanie for week 1.

Damn Foster didnt play and I was away from PC and Phone access...crap. Oh well even if he didnt win due to Ryan and GB poor playing I'll still win this week in my money league

[quote name='gbpackers94']ME: 92 points, Tom Brady left
OPPONENT: 51 points, McFadden, Dez Bryant, Romo, and Folk left
Who wins?[/QUOTE]I like your chances. Brady should outscore Romo by 5-10 points, which means he'd need something like 50 from the other 3 guys. I don't see that happening.

Ted Ginn Jr. bailed me out this week. My opponent had nobody left after the 1:00 games, and he finished with 91. I started San Fran at DST this week because of the matchup with Seattle (as opposed to Green Bay's D going against the Saints) Before Ginn had his 2 runbacks, the score in my game must have been pretty close to tied (I was visiting my parents and had no internet access), but his 2 TD's, along with their last second sack/fumble recovery was enough to push me to a 108-91 win. Oh, and yeah- I'm glad I didn't let my concerns about Ray Rice facing the Steelers push me into benching him. :dunce:

[quote name='gbpackers94']I have Tolbert, Ray Rice, and Steve Smith on my team :D. Unfortunately I started Blount over Tolbert, leaving 25 points on my bench.[/QUOTE]

I started Chris Johnson because it's Chris Johnson and left Tolbert on my bench. :cry:

Who here things NE defense can get 8 points against Miami tomorrow night? I know defenses are a crapshoot, but thanks to my bench going off and my starters...not, I need the help.

I crushed my opponent this week. McCoy & Britt pulled me ahead with their second half performances and I never looked back. Witten, Wells, Wallace, Best all did what they were expected to do and I still have Brady to play tonight. Right now I'm up 155.66 to 83.67. He has Ochocinco and Carpenter. He has a good team, but quiet weeks from Vjax, AP, really helped out. I'm hoping to keep it at least a 75 point margin of victory.

I started Ben Roethlisberger over Flacco this week :(.

Who should I start next week at QB?

Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Flacco
or Jay Cutler

Also, which defense should I start? Giants or Saints?

Also, should I keep Roddy White in the starting lineup or should I replace him with Reggie Wayne or Robert Meachem? Thanks for the help.

First off, you start Roddy White EVERY week.

Giants D is decimated, and Saints like to jump on chances to score points, start them.

Also, without seeing the matchups, I'd start Cutler.

I left the niners D on my bench in favor of new england. If I left the niners in, I would have won my matchup this week. Now, I need 16 points between the NE D, Tom Brady, and Brandon Marshall.

Nate Kaeding is out for the season, which means I need a replacement. I'm hearing SD might use their punter, but he's not available to pick up, and there doesn't seem to be any good replacements.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I left the niners D on my bench in favor of new england. If I left the niners in, I would have won my matchup this week. Now, I need 16 points between the NE D, Tom Brady, and Brandon Marshall.

Nate Kaeding is out for the season, which means I need a replacement. I'm hearing SD might use their punter, but he's not available to pick up, and there doesn't seem to be any good replacements.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be worried about either. 16 points is no problem. And just pick any kicker.

I shall join in the "I should have started _____ over _____" regrets. If I started Flacco over Bradford and Steve Smith over Nicks or Marhsall, then I would have a would have scored the most points this week. Instead, I am behind by 16 points with Marsall left (and Holmes left for the other team).

In the end, Bradford over Flacco was the wrong choice because I believed the game would be a shootout, but I'm not so sure about Smith over any of my other receivers. I'm just hoping for a 20 catch game from Marshall now.

Ugh...Orton is killing me...down 86.83 to 77.60 and he's the only player left. Gets a few points worth of passes then gets a turnover and I lose them. Should have started Cam Newton.

EDIT: Woo! won 87.03 to 86.83....thankfully Orton didn't get to touch the ball again after the touchdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back