Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Lockout is Over Version

Brady played amazing and I ended up beating my opponent by 101 points! I think that might be a league record but I haven't had time to check our history.

In my minor league I ended up winning by 1 point despite my opponent having Lloyd and McFadden last night, so off to a good start there. We had the highest 2 scoring teams, so it would have been rough losing that one.

In my casual reddit league I lost, but I'm not worried about that because I know guys like Big Ben and AP will bounce back. Most other weeks I would have won.

I lost by 3 thanks to Daniels and Maclin doing nothing (and Hillis was also rather lackluster). I'm not too worried though. After last week, I'm loving my bench more and more (Carolina Smith, Jordy Nelson, James Starks).

This is a must win week for me. Not so much for standings, but this is the father-son matchup in my league this week (for me). He beat me three times in baseball, time to return the favor.

Edit: Picked up Jermaine Gresham for Cincy to help at TE. I'm not expected to need him for the long haul (I hope not since he has a stretch in the 2nd half which is brutal), but with Daniels only having one catch in week 1, it's worrisome as far as the start of the season goes. I probably expected too much when drafting him though.

Edit 2: Am I crazy for considering benching Daniels (@MIA) and starting Gresham (@DEN). I know it's only Tuesday, but it sounds good at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JStryke']I lost by 3 thanks to Daniels and Maclin doing nothing (and Hillis was also rather lackluster). I'm not too worried though. After last week, I'm loving my bench more and more (Carolina Smith, Jordy Nelson, James Starks).

This is a must win week for me. Not so much for standings, but this is the father-son matchup in my league this week (for me). He beat me three times in baseball, time to return the favor.

Edit: Picked up Jermaine Gresham for Cincy to help at TE. I'm not expected to need him for the long haul (I hope not since he has a stretch in the 2nd half which is brutal), but with Daniels only having one catch in week 1, it's worrisome as far as the start of the season goes. I probably expected too much when drafting him though.

Edit 2: Am I crazy for considering benching Daniels (@MIA) and starting Gresham (@DEN). I know it's only Tuesday, but it sounds good at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I think your TE options are pretty poor but if I had to choose I would be starting Daniels. I throw matchups out the window when you have Schaub/Gradkowski as the QBS for each TE. Also, Daniels may have not had a good week but he had a few targets in the red zone. I think its Danils all the way here.

Don't expect those type of numbers from Steve Smith every week. Remember he has a rookie QB and though he played great (against a horrible defense) I expect him to have really bad weeks as well. I like Nelson though. He had way more targets than Jones and looks to be a great third option at WR. Starks will only be good if he starts to take away carries from Grant. Grant looked strong but he may wear down as the season progresses.

[quote name='ananag112']I started Ben Roethlisberger over Flacco this week :(.

Who should I start next week at QB?

Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Flacco
or Jay Cutler

Also, which defense should I start? Giants or Saints?

Also, should I keep Roddy White in the starting lineup or should I replace him with Reggie Wayne or Robert Meachem? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Like it was stated before, you should never take Roddy White out of your lineup. At QB i would go with Roethlisberger against Seattle but if you chose Flacco against Tennessee that would be fine too. And of course start the Saints D. Matchups shouldn't matter there until the Giants get some guys back. They have way to many injuries on the defensive side of the ball.

Huge Trade Yea or Nay
I give: M. Ryan, Forte, and V Jax
I get: Brees, Woodhead, Ryan Grant, and Mark Ingram

My team:

QB: Ryan, Eli
RB: Gore, Forte, Moreno, Sproles
WR: R. White, V Jax, Welker,

[quote name='frostybroc']Huge Trade Yea or Nay

My team:

WR: R. White, V Jax, Welker,[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't, you are giving up too much in Forte and V-Jax. The only player I really like that you get in return is Brees.

My team:

I also wouldn't do the trade. Sure, Brees is a good upgrade, but the RBs you're getting all have question marks. NE gives the ball to everyone as does the Saints (plus ingram hasn't done it before in the pros), and I personally believe Starks will steal time from Grant as the season progresses.

I love Brees but then you are losing Forte for a very questionable Ryan Grant. If you think you can get trade Eli for a more solid RB, then definitely. Otherwise, you might be losing more than you gain.

Anyway, in keeping with tradition, I lose my first week. Absolutely crushed. End result of 75.10 - 131.38. The other guy scored the most in our league, while i scored 10th, out of 12. Not sure if it was just a bad week or if i need a shake up on my starters.

I agree, Brees isn't worth that much more than Ryan and you are just getting filler back for your other 2 solid starters.

My team:

Horrible trade. You upgrade at QB and downgrade and RB and lose a big time WR. No way. Ryan should be a top 10 fantasy QB.

Damn. I had Welker on my bench! I still won the week (barely) but the potential was there to crush my opponent. I have Mike Wallace and Miles Austin and I'm seriously considering benching one of them for Welker this week (and the foreseeable future).

[quote name='Javery']Damn. I had Welker on my bench! I still won the week (barely) but the potential was there to crush my opponent. I have Mike Wallace and Miles Austin and I'm seriously considering benching one of them for Welker this week (and the foreseeable future).[/QUOTE]

Mike Wallace and Miles Austin score touchdowns. Welker usually does not score that many. Plus the Patriots have so many options I think going with Wallace and Austin is your best bet. I can see you benching one of them because of a matchup, but I think in the long run those guys give you the potential for the most points.

Who should I start:
flex: Blount or Tolbert or Cadillac Williams or Tate
WR: Manniningham or Henderson or Cobb
TE: Grownokoskisksi or Hernandez or Finley

[quote name='gbpackers94']Who should I start:
TE: Grownokoskisksi or Hernandez or Finley[/QUOTE]

Blount (Decent matchup w/o Williams boys there & the only true starting back in that list)
Henderson (#1 Saints WR with Colston & Moore out)
Finley (#1 TE vs team that just lost their best LB >>>> coin flip NE TEs)

[quote name='gbpackers94']Who should I start:
TE: Grownokoskisksi or Hernandez or Finley[/QUOTE]

If Foster is out, I actually like starting Tate. If not then go with Cadillac. All the matchups are against pretty good run defenses so I think these two guys will get the most touches.

At WR, I think you have to go Manniningham. He will definitely see the most targets out of the three.

At TE, I think any of these guys are fine, though you may want to start Finely since he has the better matchup. With the New England Tight Ends, you have to realize that most of the time (unless Brady throws for 500 yards) only one of those guys is going to have a big game. So its a crap shoot.

[quote name='klwillis45']Blount (Decent matchup w/o Williams boys there & the only true starting back in that list)
Henderson (#1 Saints WR with Colston & Moore out)
Finley (#1 TE vs team that just lost their best LB >>>> coin flip NE TEs)[/QUOTE]

This.

Who do you guys like better this week.... Sexy Rexy or Josh Freeman? I really like Rex's match-up (AZ gave up 400 yards to Cam Newton, I mean come on now)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']This.

Who do you guys like better this week.... Sexy Rexy or Josh Freeman? I really like Rex's match-up (AZ gave up 400 yards to Cam Newton, I mean come on now)[/QUOTE]I like Rex this week. He won't get an easier matchup this year. That matchup has me strongly considering starting Santana Moss and sitting Hakeem Nicks. Well, that and the fact that Nicks looks iffy to go and plays Monday night. Don't feel like taking a zero at WR.

I put in for Rex this week on waivers because Sam Bradford is all I've got right now at QB, and even if he does play this week, his bye comes up in Week 5, so I'll need to get someone soon either way. If I get Rex, I'm plugging him right in for this week.

That reminds me- two lineup questions for this week.

1. Depending on his injury status, would you guys roll the dice and hope Nicks plays Monday night, or would you go with Santana Moss (vs. AZ) instead? Or Percy Harvin (vs. TB) for that matter?

2. Fred Jackson (vs. OAK) or Ahmad Bradshaw (vs. STL)?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']This.

Who do you guys like better this week.... Sexy Rexy or Josh Freeman? I really like Rex's match-up (AZ gave up 400 yards to Cam Newton, I mean come on now)[/QUOTE]

OK, perhaps I'm not thinking clearly. Someone please explain to me why we are to trust Rexy - the same damn Bears' Rex Grossman that struggled to reach 200yds and any TDs - in Shanahan's O after 1 game?

Seriously, play Freeman. If you want to pull off the WW, then grab McCoy against a horrible Indy team. If you're feeling frisky, grab Cam. The Cards didn't look that bad, he looked that good - good throws and he took the hits to make the throws (something rookies don't do). I'm considering playing him against the Pack.

[quote name='Danimal']That reminds me- two lineup questions for this week.

1. Depending on his injury status, would you guys roll the dice and hope Nicks plays Monday night, or would you go with Santana Moss (vs. AZ) instead? Or Percy Harvin (vs. TB) for that matter?

2. Fred Jackson (vs. OAK) or Ahmad Bradshaw (vs. STL)?[/QUOTE]

I like playing studs on Monday night and would wait until Friday to see how Nicks looks. If you don't want to chance it, I'd lean towards Moss. Vikes' O was just anemic at best.

As for the backs, Freddie hands down. I don't trust Giants' backs right now. With Bradshaw and Jacobs you just don't know who's getting the rock the most.

[quote name='Kilraven']OK, perhaps I'm not thinking clearly. Someone please explain to me why we are to trust Rexy - the same damn Bears' Rex Grossman that struggled to reach 200yds and any TDs - in Shanahan's O after 1 game? [/QUOTE]

This line...

21-34, 305 yds
2 TDs

is the reason (not that it is exceptional by any means, but it looks hella better than the production I got last week). I may still end up starting Freeman, but I feel like that Card's D needs to be taken advantage of.

[quote name='Danimal']That reminds me- two lineup questions for this week.

2. Fred Jackson (vs. OAK) or Ahmad Bradshaw (vs. STL)?[/QUOTE]

1. Monitor Nicks up until Moss's game begins, and if it looks like he may sit, plug Moss in. Like you said, anything's better then a bagel. Not even gonna consider any Vikes WR until McNabb or OC Musgrave or whoever is at fault for the abysmal aerial performance last week fixes whatever the hell is wrong with that offense (and coming from a Vikes fan who was at last weekend's game...lets just say it was even more painful to watch in person).

2. Bradshaw, because isn't OAK's run D pretty good? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I need help this week deciding on a defense. I own San Diego, but I'm afraid of their matchup against the Pats. Unfortunately, the available defenses are not much to look at either. They include:
49ers
Redskins
Broncos
Bengals
Cardinals
Jaguars
Titans
Colts
Buccaneers
Panthers
Seahawks
Chiefs
Dolphins

I'm not sure there is a good decision here, but I'm happy to hear opinions.

Damn those options do suck. Unless you have some other dead weight to cut on your roster, I'd probably just stick with SD & hope for a return TD to soften the blow.

I've got first world problems this week. I've got 5 RBs I'd be happy to start but only 3 slots to do so. PPR league.

Pick 3: Rice (@TEN), Wells (@WSH), Hightower (vAZ), Jones (@SF) & Benson (@DEN)

I've got Jones & Benson on the pine right now.

Need sone trade advice again...I ended up trading Vick for rice and v Jackson...I am now rolling with henne and Bradford as my qb's...someone offered me Fitzpatrick and spelled for Tolbert...should I take it?

My rb/wr looks as follows
Wells
Rice
Tate
Berrian
B Edwards
Britt
R white
Vjax
Cj spiller
Tolbert

[quote name='Skooba81']Need sone trade advice again...I ended up trading Vick for rice and v Jackson...I am now rolling with henne and Bradford as my qb's...someone offered me Fitzpatrick and spelled for Tolbert...should I take it?

My rb/wr looks as follows
Wells
Rice
Tate
Berrian
B Edwards
Britt
R white
Vjax
Cj spiller
Tolbert[/QUOTE]

Fitzpatrick isn't (much of) an upgrade over Henne and Bradford. I would think you could get someone better. Who is on the waiver wire?

The waiver wire is slim pickings as well...only players of note would be McCoy, hasslebeck, and grossman

And I just noticed my phone auto corrected...he offered me sproles as well

also if I don't take the trade should I roll with Henne or Bradford? Henne is tempting coming off that performance last week and given that he is going against Houson who have historically been bad against the pass. Bradford also has upside given how good the giants D make Grossman look but his receivers looked terrible against philly with all the drops

EDIT: some one else just offered me Romo for Tolbert and Bradford...what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright guys, I had a horrible week last time. Here's my team, what should I do? Right now, I'm thinking of starting Colt over Rivers (at the Patriots? Not hopeful there). Wallace, Maclin, and Branch on WR. Turner and Benson at RB. Chandler at TE. Thoughts?

QB - Philip Rivers (SD - QB) - @NE
WR - Mike Wallace (Pit - WR) - Sea
WR - Jeremy Maclin (Phi - WR) - @Atl
WR - Percy Harvin (Min - WR) - TB
RB - Michael Turner (Atl - RB) - Phi
RB - BenJarvus Green-Ellis (NE - RB) - SD
TE - Vernon Davis (SF - TE) - Dal
K - Nick Folk (NYJ - K) - Jac
DEF - New Orleans - Chi
BN - Cedric Benson (Cin - RB) - @Den
BN - Johnny Knox (Chi - WR) - @NO
BN - Deion Branch (NE - WR) - SD
BN - Colt McCoy (Cle - QB) - @Ind
BN - Scott Chandler (Buf - TE) - Oak
BN - Matt Hasselbeck (Ten - QB) - Bal

Also, I'm thinking about grabbing either Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles. Thoughts there?

[quote name='Chronis']Alright guys, I had a horrible week last time. Here's my team, what should I do? Right now, I'm thinking of starting Colt over Rivers (at the Patriots? Not hopeful there). Wallace, Maclin, and Branch on WR. Turner and Benson at RB. Chandler at TE. Thoughts?

QB - Philip Rivers (SD - QB) - @NE
WR - Mike Wallace (Pit - WR) - Sea
WR - Jeremy Maclin (Phi - WR) - @Atl
WR - Percy Harvin (Min - WR) - TB
RB - Michael Turner (Atl - RB) - Phi
RB - BenJarvus Green-Ellis (NE - RB) - SD
TE - Vernon Davis (SF - TE) - Dal
K - Nick Folk (NYJ - K) - Jac
DEF - New Orleans - Chi
BN - Cedric Benson (Cin - RB) - @Den
BN - Johnny Knox (Chi - WR) - @NO
BN - Deion Branch (NE - WR) - SD
BN - Colt McCoy (Cle - QB) - @Ind
BN - Scott Chandler (Buf - TE) - Oak
BN - Matt Hasselbeck (Ten - QB) - Bal

Also, I'm thinking about grabbing either Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles. Thoughts there?[/QUOTE]

Under no circumstances would I start Colt over Rivers...the pats D allowed 400 yards to Henne, Rivers is going to have a field day with them (and I am saying this as a diehard pats fan), I would agree with everything else for your starters although I would even give Knox some consideration ahead of Branch, williams may be slowed down or out altogether with a bad groin so knox definitely has some upside in what could turn out to be a shootout

[quote name='DomLando']Mike Wallace and Miles Austin score touchdowns. Welker usually does not score that many. Plus the Patriots have so many options I think going with Wallace and Austin is your best bet. I can see you benching one of them because of a matchup, but I think in the long run those guys give you the potential for the most points.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for talking me off of the ledge - I agree.

[quote name='Chronis']Alright guys, I had a horrible week last time. Here's my team, what should I do? Right now, I'm thinking of starting Colt over Rivers (at the Patriots? Not hopeful there). [/QUOTE]

You have to play Rivers every week no matter the matchup.

[quote name='Javery']
You have to play Rivers every week no matter the matchup.[/QUOTE] This. Rivers, Rodgers, Brady & Brees never, ever sit. You can't bench elite QBs in pass happy offenses.

[quote name='kube00']Foster's back so Im going to start him over Jackson.

WR/flex question
Burleson, Moore, or Ward?[/QUOTE]

I like Burleson this week. Detroit is at home facing a KC team that got tore up last week. It looks like Foster is back this week, so Ward is useless now. Moore is coming back from an injury and Brees will spread it around as he always does.

[quote name='kube00']And in my other league, Jones-Drew or Gore?[/QUOTE]

I like Gore's match up better (plus I'm a bit of a homer). But you could flip a coin with those two.

My dilemmas this week:

QB Eli vs St Louis
Sexy Rexy vs Ari
Henne vs Hou or
last option Kolb vs Wash?

2 RB's:

Greene vs Jac
Johnson vs Bal (yikes!)
Bush vs Buf
Graham vs Minn
or Tolbert vs NE?

Def:

Giants vs St Louis or Wash vs Ari?

[quote name='kube00']Foster's back so Im going to start him over Jackson.

WR/flex question
Burleson, Moore, or Ward?[/QUOTE]

Burleson and Gore

I have a question about my RBs. I can start three and here is my roster:

Foster
Beanie Wells
Johnathon Stewart
Darren Sproles
Legarrette Blount

Foster and Wells seem like obvious choices. The problem is with the 3rd. Blount only produced 1 point last week. Stewart was also equally disappointing. Sproles did awesome, but I sat him. We don't count return yardage though, and I consider it unlikely he'll score another return TD. I think Blount is where the smart money is. I expect the play-calling to be much more favorable this week. Thoughts?

I'd go Wells, Sproles, Blount.

Foster scares the crap out me this week. Who knows how much they limit his workload with that injury. Plus he's a late game so you could get totally screwed with an inactive.

[quote name='Skooba81']Need sone trade advice again...I ended up trading Vick for rice and v Jackson...I am now rolling with henne and Bradford as my qb's...someone offered me Fitzpatrick and spelled for Tolbert...should I take it?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Skooba81']And I just noticed my phone auto corrected...he offered me sproles as well

EDIT: some one else just offered me Romo for Tolbert and Bradford...what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Take the Fitz and Sproles for Tolbert. Take it now. Sproles will be a beast (especially in PPR) this year - think Bush but more likely to stay healthy.

Ignore Romo. He's good, but you're giving up too much.

[quote name='Chronis']Alright guys, I had a horrible week last time. Here's my team, what should I do? Right now, I'm thinking of starting Colt over Rivers (at the Patriots? Not hopeful there). Wallace, Maclin, and Branch on WR. Turner and Benson at RB. Chandler at TE. Thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking about grabbing either Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles. Thoughts there?[/QUOTE]

Grab Sproles. Start:
Wallace, Maclin, and Harvin. Davis (still a little too soon for Chandler in my book). Turner and Benson.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']My dilemmas this week:

QB Eli vs St Louis
Sexy Rexy vs Ari
Henne vs Hou or
last option Kolb vs Wash?

2 RB's:

Greene vs Jac
Johnson vs Bal (yikes!)
Bush vs Buf
Graham vs Minn
or Tolbert vs NE? [/QUOTE]

Eli. In fantasy leagues he's a top 10. Tolbert and Greene. Also, CJ is not a must start. He has been feast or famine the past year, and no support in the air, yet. Defenses will still treat the Titans as 'stop Johnson, let the receivers beat us'. Until that changes, I'd play match ups.

[quote name='pure skill']I have a question about my RBs. I can start three and here is my roster:

Foster
Beanie Wells
Johnathon Stewart
Darren Sproles
Legarrette Blount
[/QUOTE]

Foster and Wells. If you're PPR then start Sproles, if not, I still like Blount - regardless of last week.

Trying to decide my 2nd WR this week.

Jordy Nelson (@CAR) (way I'm leaning currently)
Steve Smith (GB)
Maclin (@ATL)

And I know I'm crazy, but after last week, still considering starting Gresham (@DEN) over Daniels (@MIA) for TE. I know Daniels has the potent offense, but he was only targeted twice last week.

[quote name='JStryke']Trying to decide my 2nd WR this week.

Steve Smith (GB)
Maclin (@ATL)

And I know I'm crazy, but after last week, still considering starting Gresham (@DEN) over Daniels (@MIA) for TE. I know Daniels has the potent offense, but he was only targeted twice last week.[/QUOTE]

I still would start Daniels. The Patriot's TEs destroyed Dolphins on Monday, and Texans were up early on so they didn't need to throw that much against the Colts.

As for your WRs, I'll take Smith or Maclin. I don't know how much trust I can place in Nelson yet.

[quote name='JStryke']Trying to decide my 2nd WR this week.

Steve Smith (GB)
Maclin (@ATL)

And I know I'm crazy, but after last week, still considering starting Gresham (@DEN) over Daniels (@MIA) for TE. I know Daniels has the potent offense, but he was only targeted twice last week.[/QUOTE]

I like Smith-South. Cam has an accurate arm (surprised the hell out of me) and should tear it up - the Pack Secondary looked awful last week.

And I like Gresham, too. Grad is starting and he likes TEs.

Smith was my close second choice (been flip-flopping on him and Nelson). Maclin is the only one I'm not high on at the moment. I like him for the long run, but after last week, I think I want him to ride the pine for a week.

And now that I think about it, Smith is a good choice for a second (non-important) reason. My dad (my opponent this week) drafted Smith last year and was burned by it. So if Smith has a good week...that makes it satisfying. :razz:

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Need some advice on who to start between Deion Branch (@SD) or Hines Ward (@SEA). Gracias.[/QUOTE]

Branch has more upside, Ward is safer.

The problem with Branch is, much like Saints' receivers, you just don't know who's going to get in ball. With Ward, you know you're getting around 10 targets (min) and about half of those caught.

bread's done
Back