Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Version 2.0

Im in one of the cag leagues and cant believe how many points Schaub dropped in just one game.

schaub.png

Bumpage for week three.

I need some advice for my ESPN league. I recently acquired Cedric Benson who's got some sick matchups the next couple of weeks. This, however, puts me in sort of a bind as I've now got three quality running backs which kind of messes up my flex spots.

The league is PPR, so before I'd set my two running backs and two wide receivers, then fill my other two flex spots with receivers as well. I'm now inclined to fill a flex with a running back though. Here's my situation:

RB#1 - Cedric Benson
RB#2 - Arian Foster
WR#1 - Calvin Johnson
WR#2 - Malcolm Floyd
Flex#1 - ???
Flex#2 - ???

My options for those flex spots are:

- Anquan Boldin (I know he's got Cleveland this week, but I'll be damned if he hasn't been a pretty big letdown fantasy-wise so far for me)
- Ahmad Bradshaw (With the whole Jacobs shit, he seems primed to get all of the carries now)
- Jonathan Stewart (Total bust so far)
- Pierre Garcon (Usually pretty consistent, although he had a pretty awful showing this past week)
- Johnny Knox (ESPN is projecting him at 16 points this week which seems awfully generous against Green Bays corners)

I've also got waivers in on Kevin Walter, Devin Hester, and Donald Brown. I'm not really sure who should get plugged into my flex spots.

god dammit.

In my main money league I'm definitely weakest at QB. so after Andy Reid goes out and says that Kolb is the starter next week, I drop Vick. Sure enough, I pull up Google news and Vick is the starter for the rest of the season and Reid says it's because he's "playing out of his mind". now I have to hope that my waiver goes through on Vick, otherwise I'll have to decide between Palmer or waiver wire garbage.

[quote name='SEH']
Bumpage for week three.

I need some advice for my ESPN league. I recently acquired Cedric Benson who's got some sick matchups the next couple of weeks. This, however, puts me in sort of a bind as I've now got three quality running backs which kind of messes up my flex spots.

The league is PPR, so before I'd set my two running backs and two wide receivers, then fill my other two flex spots with receivers as well. I'm now inclined to fill a flex with a running back though. Here's my situation:

RB#1 - Cedric Benson
RB#2 - Arian Foster
WR#1 - Calvin Johnson
WR#2 - Malcolm Floyd
Flex#1 - ???
Flex#2 - ???

- Anquan Boldin (I know he's got Cleveland this week, but I'll be damned if he hasn't been a pretty big letdown fantasy-wise so far for me)
- Ahmad Bradshaw (With the whole Jacobs shit, he seems primed to get all of the carries now)
- Pierre Garcon (Usually pretty consistent, although he had a pretty awful showing this past week)
- Johnny Knox (ESPN is projecting him at 16 points this week which seems awfully generous against Green Bays corners)

I've also got waivers in on Kevin Walter, Devin Hester, and Donald Brown. I'm not really sure who should get plugged into my flex spots.
[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely go Bradshaw and Garcon. I would give some consideration to Boldin this week, because like you said, he is going against Cleveland and this is a great opportunity for the Baltimore O to break out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEH']Bumpage for week three.

RB#1 - Cedric Benson
RB#2 - Arian Foster
WR#1 - Calvin Johnson
WR#2 - Malcolm Floyd
Flex#1 - ???
Flex#2 - ???

I've also got waivers in on Kevin Walter, Devin Hester, and Donald Brown. I'm not really sure who should get plugged into my flex spots.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you've noticed, but Boldin's gotten 18 targets in two games, which is 12th in the league (8th if you look at ties). He's got 12 catches (11th) and 145 yards (13th). Sure, if you drafted him to be a WR1, that's a bummer, but he's putting up ok general numbers. He's just missing TDs. Sure, he got held down by Cincinnati, but he had 100 yards in his first game. Don't be so sour on him. Week 1 he probably got you around 14+ points if you're PPR. That's solid.

This week, I'd roll with Anquan and Bradshaw.

• Green Bay is 5th best at holding down WR fantasy points through two weeks (Hello, Johnny Knox). Jeremy Maclin is the only WR to hit double figures against them so far. Granted, the competition hasn't been tough, but still, they're doing well. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he scored some points. I just don't trust it.
  • Cleveland, meanwhile, gave up two TDs to Tampa Bay receivers in week 1. They're 11th overall in WR points allowed, but that's because you can run on them, not because they're tough.
  • Garcon got only 2 targets last week out of Manning's 26 throws. I'm starting to worry that Manning might not trust him after week 1. Watch carefully.
  • The Titans are 17th so far this season in points allowed to RBs, which isn't terrible, but McFadden and Mendenhall have both had good games against Tennessee. As long as the Giants O-line can remember how to play, Bradshaw should be fine.
  • Carolina, meanwhile has forgotten how to run. Make Stewart prove it before you put him in.

I just dislike Boldin because he put up decent numbers week one when I had him benched then shit numbers week two when I played him. :p

I don't think Peyton doesn't trust Garcon. In that week one game, Garcon dropped some passes, but Peyton still gave him some love and let him redeem himself.

Some good advice though. I think I will wind up rolling with Boldin and Bradshaw.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']god dammit.

In my main money league I'm definitely weakest at QB. so after Andy Reid goes out and says that Kolb is the starter next week, I drop Vick. Sure enough, I pull up Google news and Vick is the starter for the rest of the season and Reid says it's because he's "playing out of his mind". now I have to hope that my waiver goes through on Vick, otherwise I'll have to decide between Palmer or waiver wire garbage.[/QUOTE]

I am kind of in the same boat except I never grabbed Vick, expecting Kolb would get his position back when he came back. I will give it a game before I drop him for waiver wire crappy QB. Luckily, I have Kyle Orton as my backup, who exploded last week, so he will be my starter.

I am on the fence about sending Colston to the bench in favor of Mark Clayton. My other two starting receivers are Greg Jennings and Austin Collie. Any thoughts?

Honestly, I'm not a fan and never draft any Saints receivers. They have very good receivers, but that's just the problem. You never know who is going to be "the guy" for any particular game. One week Colston could get you 20+ points, then the next week he'll get you four points because Brees decided to throw exclusively to Henderson or Moore, or Meachem, or Bush.

I missed my draft. If I had made it, I wouldn't have drafted him. But since I have him, I don't want to drop due to him being #1 receiver on the team. Granted, like you said, Brees distributes the ball to 6-7 different people.

For me, it's hard to think about moving him to bench and starting Clayton, knowing Colston could explode any week... granted Clayton has found the end zone each week.

[quote name='lordopus99']I missed my draft. If I had made it, I wouldn't have drafted him. But since I have him, I don't want to drop due to him being #1 receiver on the team. Granted, like you said, Brees distributes the ball to 6-7 different people.

For me, it's hard to think about moving him to bench and starting Clayton, knowing Colston could explode any week... granted Clayton has found the end zone each week.[/QUOTE]

Not that Bradford to Clayton is on par with the Romo-Austin or Schaub-Johnson, but Washington has given up the most points to WR so far this season, and the margin between them and the next most generous team is huge. In PPR play, 5 receivers have gotten double digit fantasy days in two weeks.

That said, New Orleans probably holds a record for most WR fantasy points left on owners' benches. Unfortunately, you never know which one it's going to be. While Brees can pass on anyone, Atlanta is 9th stingiest when it comes to giving WR fantasy points so far. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Overall, I almost trust Clayton to have a solid game more than Colston, but I agree that it's hard to sit a guy that talented.

Yeah, the only 2 people on the Saints I'd play is Brees or Pierre Thomas (Bush out a few weeks). Brees spreads it around too much.

[quote name='SEH']Honestly, I'm not a fan and never draft any Saints receivers. They have very good receivers, but that's just the problem. You never know who is going to be "the guy" for any particular game. One week Colston could get you 20+ points, then the next week he'll get you four points because Brees decided to throw exclusively to Henderson or Moore, or Meachem, or Bush.[/QUOTE]This has been my approach the last few years, but this year Colston was the first WR I drafted, because he was the best of what was left at that point. I felt like kicking myself as soon as I made the pick, and I know I'm going to have a frustrating year waiting for those weeks when Colston is the main guy in the Saints attack. I'm pretty thin at WR, though (Colston, Nicks, Wallace, Gaffney, Naanee), so unless something changes, I'll probably be starting him every week.

On another note, an owner in my league yesterday traded Pierre Thomas for Mark Sanchez, and he was the one who initiated the trade. He even mentioned Bush's injury in a note to the other owner to try to convince him to make the trade. Unbelievable. Now that he doesn't have Thomas anymore, his RBs are Peterson, Hightower, and Sproles. #-o

Yeah, gotta love the people that sell the farm just to get that one guy who's usually mediocre but by chance had a good week.

As for your receivers, they aren't terrible. Nicks has stepped up in New York as the go-to guy and I think Wallace will be fine once Big Ben comes back. I would kind of be worried about Gaffney though with the reemergence of Eddie Royal and the emergence of Demaryius Thomas.

Ugh. I'm totally over a barrel here with RB's. I'll explain in a moment, here is my roster (using fairly standard non-PPR type scoring on NFL.com)

QB's: Flacco (starting), V.Young (being waived for Sanchez or Freeman)
RB's: Jahvid Best and Peyton Hillis (yes, that's it....really)
WR: Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson, Chad Ocho Cinco, Mike Williams (TB), Legedu Naanee, Jabar Gaffney (also being welcomed to waiver town)
TE: Heath Miller, Zach Miller
Robbie Gould is Kicking and I have the Jets Defense

Basically what happened is this...Ryan Grant was my second round pick. I get a text from a buddy when the news dropped he was done for the year. I had waiver #5, he had #2. No problem he says, I'll grab him and trade you for a WR. Well, now he's sitting on him.

It's a 12 man league, and there's not much out on waivers for RB. Here are the scenario's I'm facing, please take your pick.

1) Jabar Gaffney is toast. I send him to waivers and hope to claim the best player out on FA, which is likely Demaryius Thomas. Hope to pull a trade using some of my lower end WR's.

2) I've been offered Shonn Greene for Anquan Boldin. While Boldin has not lit it up yet and Greene is losing more than half his workload to LT....I'm over a barrel here and I may just have to suck it up and hope Greene gets the higher share back.

3) I wait it out as long as possible (first BYE for RB is week 7) and hope to catch a top RB. Problem here is that waiver priority resets with team record each week. So for me to guarantee getting someone, I'll likely already have killed my season.

4) Gaffney to waivers, hope I can clear a claim on backups Mike Tolbert, Jason Snelling, or Marshawn Lynch and pray he gets traded.

First of all, how many RB's do you need to start in a week?

Second, I definitely would not make the trade for Greene. Best right now is looking like an elite top five back. He's got five touchdowns over two games. Hillis is looking pretty good too, despite being on the Browns. If you only need to start one or two RB's a week, I'd just sit tight as far as trades go and just try and get Lynch or Snelling off waivers.

How do you guys feel about Snelling and Tolbert going forward? Got them both in 2 of my leagues, one of my teams which desperately needs RBs.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How do you guys feel about Snelling and Tolbert going forward? Got them both in 2 of my leagues, one of my teams which desperately needs RBs.[/QUOTE]

Snelling could be decent with Norwood out, especially if Turner continues to under-perform. I'm not too high on Tolbert though since Matthews is healthy.

Week 1 I start Best over Forte...
Week 2 I start Forte over Best...

I'm going to stick with Best for now, but now I have qb issues. Flacco hasn't been that good, and I have Ryan on my bench (same bye weeks, but I am concerned with Flacco as my starter and Ryan was the best QB left). Should I try Flacco for another week or should I go with Ryan?

Also, what should I do with MDJ? I feel like if I trade him now, I'd get more value, but he might break his slump in the coming weeks.
My current RBs are MJD, Pierre Thomas, Forte and Best.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How do you guys feel about Snelling and Tolbert going forward? Got them both in 2 of my leagues, one of my teams which desperately needs RBs.[/QUOTE]

Snelling I don't see playing much as long as Turner is healthy. Tolbert, I fear (as I have Matthews), will be the goal line back.

I don't see Snelling playing much easier, but maybe he'll get boosted on the depth chart over Norwood. And with the carries Turner gets, having a possible handcuff isn't a bad idea seeing how fantasy football leagues (or at least the ones I've been in) seem to have deep benches.

[quote name='SEH']First of all, how many RB's do you need to start in a week?

Second, I definitely would not make the trade for Greene. Best right now is looking like an elite top five back. He's got five touchdowns over two games. Hillis is looking pretty good too, despite being on the Browns. If you only need to start one or two RB's a week, I'd just sit tight as far as trades go and just try and get Lynch or Snelling off waivers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Greene and Best have the same BYE anyway, so I'd still be screwed week 7. And since I'm 1-1 so far I don't want to give away a week. Although on that same note, I was excited to see Donald Brown get dropped to Waivers this morning, but he's also a week 7 BYE. :(

We start 2RB, 2WR and one flex WR/RB. Since I have such a deep receiving core, I'm going with three wideouts and have Boldin, A.Johnson, and OchoCinco starting.

I fell asleep early last night, so my waivers processed and I have Demaryius Thomas taking Gaffney's spot. This hopefully gives me some real firepower for a trade. I've offered M.Williams(TB) for Justin Forsett. I'd like a more elite back, but RB depth is so thin in our league.

and just as i thought, vick went to another team. palmer is now my starting QB. i guess im going to hang on to kolb since there are rumors that he might get traded. the waiver wire isnt too hot, mark sanchez is the best QB on there right now, and frankly i dont think hes much of an improvement over palmer. i guess my RBs and WRs are going to have to carry me unless i pull off a trade.

I'm in a bind at the QB position this week.

On my team: Eli Manning, Vince Young they are going head-to-head this week, but I don't have very much confidence in either. On the waivers we have Sam Bradford, Matt Hasselbeck, and Kyle Orton. I've been impressed with Kyle Orton, so I am leaning towards picking him up for this week, but I'd like to hear some opinions before going forward.

I'm also struggling to choose between Hines Ward, Austin Colie or LaDanian Tomlinson as my flex RB/WR. Right now I have Colie starting - not sure I can trust Ward with Pittsburgh's current QB situation and Tomlinson will be going up against a hot Miami defense. Again, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Just picked up Louis Murphy. He had 5 catches & a TD once Gradkowski came in. BG is starting this week & they have a favorable matchup against AZ.

[quote name='Swift900']I'm in a bind at the QB position this week.

On my team: Eli Manning, Vince Young they are going head-to-head this week, but I don't have very much confidence in either. On the waivers we have Sam Bradford, Matt Hasselbeck, and Kyle Orton. I've been impressed with Kyle Orton, so I am leaning towards picking him up for this week, but I'd like to hear some opinions before going forward.

I'm also struggling to choose between Hines Ward, Austin Colie or LaDanian Tomlinson as my flex RB/WR. Right now I have Colie starting - not sure I can trust Ward with Pittsburgh's current QB situation and Tomlinson will be going up against a hot Miami defense. Again, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

Kyle Orton, Kyle Orton, and Kyle Orton please.

The dude has always been a pretty good fantasy option to be quite honest, and he appears to be finding a nice rhythm for himself in Denver. Definitely pick him up.

[quote name='bcoakiot']DeAngelo Williams vs. Cincinnati or Knowshon Moreno vs. Indianapolis?

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

DWill hasn't shown much so far this season, and I expect that trend to continue against the Bengals defense. I'd definitely start Moreno over DWill at this point.

3 Running Backs. Can start 2.

Mathews is Questionable, has fumbled a lot, hasn't been productive
Turner is Questionable (but will surely play)
Hightower had a big game last week, but if Beanie plays this week (which is possible, not probable), his carries get cut in half.

Turner is an obvious start regardless. Should I risk it with Mathews (again), or go with Hightower, because I got burned last week and I don't want that happening again.

Mathews is frustrating. I picked up Arian Foster (on a hunch) and have put Mathews on the block, looking for a WR. Who is fair value in a PPR league?

I wouldn't expect to get a whole lot out of Matthews. Week one they threw the ball since they were down and week two he got injured and sat out the rest of the game. If anything, you're going to get lowballed. I'd either just keep him since he does have potential, wait for him to have a decent week then throw him back on the block, or try and make some sort of package offer with Matthews and a lower level receiver for a mid-range receiver.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Alright guys... what are you thinking QB wise...

McNabb against St Louis or Vick versus Jacksonville? I could see both having huge games.[/QUOTE]

they both should have great games. flip a coin, both a great starts. maybe give a slight edge to vick because he can get you rushing yards and/or a rushing td which are generally worth more than their passing counterparts.

I'm also struggling to choose between Hines Ward, Austin Colie or LaDanian Tomlinson as my flex RB/WR. Right now I have Colie starting - not sure I can trust Ward with Pittsburgh's current QB situation and Tomlinson will be going up against a hot Miami defense. Again, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks!!![/QUOTE]I agree with SEH about Orton; absolutely pick him up. As to your other question, I think I'd stick with Collie for this week. Ward will be a nice option when Big Ben comes back, until then I wouldn't use him.

I'm also struggling to choose between Hines Ward, Austin Colie or LaDanian Tomlinson as my flex RB/WR. Right now I have Colie starting - not sure I can trust Ward with Pittsburgh's current QB situation and Tomlinson will be going up against a hot Miami defense. Again, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

Dump Young and pick up Orton, then start Manning. Eli is like Romo, even if the team doesn't play well you'll still get yours. I like Orton, but I think Manning gets a slight edge.

[quote name='bcoakiot']DeAngelo Williams vs. Cincinnati or Knowshon Moreno vs. Indianapolis?

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

DeAngelo always starts slow, soon he's going to blow up. That said, I'd start Moreno. McDaniels had to notice the Colts can't stop the run, and clock management is the only way to beat Peyton - keep the ball out of his hands.

[quote name='chimpster1313']3 Running Backs. Can start 2.

Mathews is Questionable, has fumbled a lot, hasn't been productive
Turner is Questionable (but will surely play)
Hightower had a big game last week, but if Beanie plays this week (which is possible, not probable), his carries get cut in half.

Turner is an obvious start regardless. Should I risk it with Mathews (again), or go with Hightower, because I got burned last week and I don't want that happening again.[/QUOTE]

Hightower and pick up Tolbert if you can. If not, then play Turner and pray he doesn't go down.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Alright guys... what are you thinking QB wise...

McNabb against St Louis or Vick versus Jacksonville? I could see both having huge games.[/QUOTE]

Vick. I like McNabb, but Jacksonville is giving up 300 yards and Vick can run. I'm calling it now: 350yds/2TDS, 100yds/1TD rushing. This is his game and I'm drinking the Vick Kool-aid.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']they both should have great games. flip a coin, both a great starts. maybe give a slight edge to vick because he can get you rushing yards and/or a rushing td which are generally worth more than their passing counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Worth more and rushing TDs aren't shared.

who would you start? McNabb or Eli Manning? I think they're both going to have decent games with the downside of Eli throwing the ball away more than McNabb. McNabb hasn't shown much TD passes, but vs the Rams anything can happen. Also, Mario Manningham over Brandon Jackson in the flex position, good idea?

Thoughts on this?

Offered a couple trades and I am wanting to bite on them..

Me: Mike Williams (TB)/ Him: Tim Hightower

Me: Brandon Jackson/Spiller / Him: Clinton Portis/Justin Forsett

What does everyone think?

Can only start 2 of these RBs; I think choosing between the first 3 will be a weekly decision for me this year, the 4th gets added this week because of the matchup:

Steven Jackson (vs. WAS)
Rashard Mendenhall (at TB)
Arian Foster (vs. DAL)
Clinton Portis (at STL)

I'm not sold on Tolbert's long term value. He's on the block though. The guy wants Ocho Cinco from me. I have a ton of receivers, but for someone who will go back to a backup role and (at best) TD vulture? What is Tolbert worth to you guys?

This is the only week where Tolbert has any sort of starting value since Matthews is sitting out as a precaution. I definitely would not trade him for a guy like Ocho.

Picked up Tolbert and using him in my flex WR/RB spot in one of my leagues.

I don't know about long-term value, but for a waiver pickup there is no reason not to give it a try. I wouldn't give up anything for him, though. Best case scenario for him is that Matthews injury ends up being nagging and he sees a good amount of the carries going forward.

I wouldn't give up Ocho for him unless you are DEEP at WR and really, really thin at RB.

Have a tough choice this week

Cadillac Williams vs the Steelers tough run D
Jason Snelling vs the Saints

Kinda leaning towards Snelling even if he doesnt end up being the starter.

I ended up pulling this trade.

I give: Demaryius Thomas (WR-DEN)
I get: Ricky Williams (RB-MIA)

Ricky hasn't shown much of anything so far, but I'm hoping he continues to get around a 50% share in Miami. Considering my WR depth, I think it helps more than it hurts. Although this week I'm still stuck with only Peyton Hillis and Jahvid Best, the trade won't clear until Monday. I think if Flacco has a big game I should be able to sneak out a win this week.

bread's done
Back