Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, I forgot to mention I picked up the San Francisco defense in two of my leagues against the lowly Rams. Holy hell did they score huge! Won both of those games Sunday.[/QUOTE] I did the same (thanks for the 41pts) and still lost. :cry:

Thanks Pack for stopping AP and still losing.

This was already the 2nd time in 4 weeks I've been the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and lost.

I have these RBs and I can't really decide who I want to start: Steve Slaton, Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, LT (bye), Fred Jackson, and Fred Taylor.

So far I'm starting Slaton (against Arizona), Lynch (against Cleveland), and Steven Jackson (against Minnesota), but there are a lot of interesting match-ups and I'm not sure I should start Marshawn over Fred Jackson who both face the lowly Browns (worst run D in the league).

I would start Fred Jackson over Steven Jackson myself. You can't really run on Minnesota, which is why I don't like Steve Jackson, and I don't like Fred Taylor, seeing how not only are they playing Denver, you never really know how NE will use the running game.

You can run on the Vikes. Out of four games, two star backs ran for 50-60, on only 11 touches, and Detroit's Smith came close to 100. Hell, the only one they've stopped was a rookie - Coffee - who got fed to the wolves because Gore got hurt. SJax will run for a ton - possibly getting another 100 - because that's all they've got.

Start SJax, Slaton (because it is Arizona), and Taylor. Until the Bills get it together, I trust the Pat's run game against the Broncos more... and that's just sad.

[quote name='Kilraven']You can run on the Vikes. Out of four games, two star backs ran for 50-60, on only 11 touches, and Detroit's Smith came close to 100. Hell, the only one they've stopped was a rookie - Coffee - who got fed to the wolves because Gore got hurt. SJax will run for a ton - possibly getting another 100 - because that's all they've got.

Start SJax, Slaton (because it is Arizona), and Taylor. Until the Bills get it together, I trust the Pat's run game against the Broncos more... and that's just sad.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, St. Louis doesn't have anything but Steven Jackson, and I'm afraid they'll load the box against the Rams. The Lions have good receivers and decent offensive talent and Coffee was stopped because the 49ers, like the Rams, don't have a ton of offensive talent. Steven Jackson has been consistently mediocre (fantasy-wise) this year too.

I can't resist starting at least one of the Bills against the hapless Browns run D (worst in the league by a mile).

I'm leaning towards Slaton, Lynch, Fred Jackson. I could start another WR instead of a 3rd RB - I have Garcon and Antonio Bryant.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might start Slaton, Lynch/Jackson, and Garcon. Tennessee's secondary is pretty awful, considering they made David "Dink and Dunk" Garrard look like Dan Marino.

lynch/jackson is a toss up. theyre both going to get touches, but who knows how many yards theyll get or if they get a TD. i wouldnt start fred taylor, hes even harder to predict than the bills backs. sjax is probably your best bet (other than slaton). even if hes only getting 2-3 yards per carry, hes going to get 20+ touches, itll add up to something.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']lynch/jackson is a toss up. theyre both going to get touches, but who knows how many yards theyll get or if they get a TD. i wouldnt start fred taylor, hes even harder to predict than the bills backs. sjax is probably your best bet (other than slaton). even if hes only getting 2-3 yards per carry, hes going to get 20+ touches, itll add up to something.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I agree with this. I think with a guy like SJax, you start him no matter who he's going against. There aren't many RBs left that get a guaranteed 20+ touches each week. If the Rams find themselves down close in the red zone, you know they'll be feeding him the ball. Plus, even if he's held to 50-60 yards rushing, he gets plenty of receiving yards, too. 2Fast, by any chance is it a PPR league? If so, that makes SJax even more attractive.

I'd go Slaton (a definite), Steven Jackson, and Garcon myself. And if that Brownie defense is really tempting you that much, I think you'd do OK with Fred Jackson in place of Garcon at the flex position, too.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i ended up getting the trade to go through by upping the ante and offering ryan grant.[/QUOTE]I'm guessing you mean you gave him Grant instead of Lynch? That's not a bad trade. Did you end up getting Polamalu as well?

My only real lineup decision this week is whether to start Kurt Warner, back from his bye at home against Houston, or stay with the hot Brett Favre, at the Rams. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Warner. I think of him as my "starter", and unless Arizona's passing game really goes in the tank, I'll usually go with Warner unless there's a lopsided difference in the defenses both guys are facing in a given week. I'd be interested to hear anybody's opinion on the matter.

[quote name='Danimal']I'm guessing you mean you gave him Grant instead of Lynch? That's not a bad trade. Did you end up getting Polamalu as well?

My only real lineup decision this week is whether to start Kurt Warner, back from his bye at home against Houston, or stay with the hot Brett Favre, at the Rams. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Warner. I think of him as my "starter", and unless Arizona's passing game really goes in the tank, I'll usually go with Warner unless there's a lopsided difference in the defenses both guys are facing in a given week. I'd be interested to hear anybody's opinion on the matter.[/QUOTE]

I think either one will get you a lot of points this weekend, though I would lean towards Warner. Arizona is actually going to be forced to throw a lot (to match Houston's offense) while Minnesota may just give a steady dose of AP against the hapless Rams' D (i.e they'll have no reason to throw it after the half).

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Should I start Matt Ryan or Kyle Orton on Sunday? I was leaning toward Orton.[/QUOTE]

heh, im debating between roddy white and brandon marshall. right now marshall is in my line up. looks like were thinking the same thing.

[quote name='Danimal']Yeah, I agree with this. I think with a guy like SJax, you start him no matter who he's going against. There aren't many RBs left that get a guaranteed 20+ touches each week. If the Rams find themselves down close in the red zone, you know they'll be feeding him the ball. Plus, even if he's held to 50-60 yards rushing, he gets plenty of receiving yards, too. 2Fast, by any chance is it a PPR league? If so, that makes SJax even more attractive.

I'd go Slaton (a definite), Steven Jackson, and Garcon myself. And if that Brownie defense is really tempting you that much, I think you'd do OK with Fred Jackson in place of Garcon at the flex position, too.[/QUOTE]

It's not a PPR league. Steven Jackson hasn't been catching a ton of passes this year either, which has been disappointing so far. Slaton is by far my only definite. I don't really feel that married to SJax because I got him in the 4th or 5th round in my league (he got passed up by everyone for some reason). I may actually trade both of my Buffalo RBs though, so we'll see.

EDIT: To further complicate things, I dropped Fred Taylor (just had ankle surgery) and picked up Glenn Coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ram,

I'd go with Marshall. I like White, but so far Atlanta's O hasn't been clicking like last year. Hopefully, after their bye, Atlanta gets in sync - I need them to.

2fast,

Start Coffee over Garcon (who knew FT would go gimp after I said I'd rather start him?). Manning will air it out; however, I'd rather play someone I know will get the ball, over someone I hope gets the ball. The Colts just have too many weapons of choice.

Bosox,

How is QB scoring in your league? If you get completions, then I'd take Ryan. If not, then I think it's about even between the two.

[quote name='Kilraven']2fast,

Start Coffee over Garcon (who knew FT would go gimp after I said I'd rather start him?). Manning will air it out; however, I'd rather play someone I know will get the ball, over someone I hope gets the ball. The Colts just have too many weapons of choice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm going to start Coffee. The 49ers are undoubtedly run first and the Falcons aren't too great against the run.

[quote name='2Fast']It's not a PPR league. Steven Jackson hasn't been catching a ton of passes this year either, which has been disappointing so far. Slaton is by far my only definite. I don't really feel that married to SJax because I got him in the 4th or 5th round in my league (he got passed up by everyone for some reason). I may actually trade both of my Buffalo RBs though, so we'll see.

EDIT: To further complicate things, I dropped Fred Taylor (just had ankle surgery) and picked up Glenn Coffee.[/QUOTE]Wow, I didn't realize Jackson was having such a down year. Still, though- 4th or 5th round?! Wow. He went 9th in my league (I guess that owner would like to have a do-over on that pick now)

R. Moss
Sims-Walker
Bouldin
D. Williams
Coffee
Barber

2 wrs, 2 rbs, and a rb/wr. Am I crazy for thinking about benching Moss against Denver's pass D that hasn't given up a TD all year?

[quote name='Danimal']Wow, I didn't realize Jackson was having such a down year. Still, though- 4th or 5th round?! Wow. He went 9th in my league (I guess that owner would like to have a do-over on that pick now)[/QUOTE]

It was a weird draft, with only eight teams, and I know at least one person didn't know what he was doing. I made a joke about picking JaMarcus Russell in the first round before the draft and someone actually did :lol:

I can't remember how the draft went exactly, but SJax was there and I'd feel like an idiot for not taking him. I think I took LT, Brady, Randy Moss, Slaton, and then SJax (surprising Slaton lasted that long too).

[quote name='2Fast']It was a weird draft, with only eight teams, and I know at least one person didn't know what he was doing. I made a joke about picking JaMarcus Russell in the first round before the draft and someone actually did :lol:

I can't remember how the draft went exactly, but SJax was there and I'd feel like an idiot for not taking him. I think I took LT, Brady, Randy Moss, Slaton, and then SJax (surprising Slaton lasted that long too).[/QUOTE]JaMarcus Russell?! Holy crap. I tried to convince the new guy in our league last year that people pick kickers early to get them out of the way, so if he wanted Gostkowski (we're in Massachusetts, so it's a room full of Patriots fans) he should take him in the first couple rounds (he didn't fall for it, but couldn't help himself and took him in round 8, still way too early IMO) But yeah, Russell in the first round makes my attempted kicker prank sound almost reasonable. :lol:

Those first 5 picks that you mentioned were all gone by the first selection of the 2nd round (13th overall) in my league. They went: Moss (4th), LT (8th), SJax (9th), Brady (10th), and Slaton (13th).

R. Moss
Sims-Walker
Bouldin
D. Williams
Coffee
Barber

2 wrs, 2 rbs, and a rb/wr. Am I crazy for thinking about benching Moss against Denver's pass D that hasn't given up a TD all year?
n4styn4t3, I'm not sure who I would bench from that group, since they all seem like good plays this week. I don't think it would be Moss, though. Denver's D has been awesome so far, but don't forget they've faced Cleveland, Oakland, and a somewhat struggling Cowboys offense. That group can make a defense look better than they really are. (I think Denver's D is good, but I don't think they're 6.5 PPG good) New England is going to be a huge test for them. Moss put up 2 TDs against Denver last year, although that was admittedly a very different Broncos D.

Personally, from that group I think I'd sit Sims-Walker this week. Whoever you decide to sit, you're going to have to cross your fingers and hope they aren't the one that goes off with a monster week from your bench.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Thanks. I know with my luck whichever of the six I bench has a career day.[/QUOTE]

You actually have 6 really good choices there. I would probably bench Barber since he's coming back from an injury and may have a lesser workload.

[quote name='2Fast']It was a weird draft, with only eight teams, and I know at least one person didn't know what he was doing. I made a joke about picking JaMarcus Russell in the first round before the draft and someone actually did :lol:

[/QUOTE]

:rofl:Is Al Davis in your fantasy league?

[quote name='TheRock88']Which 2 should I start?

Fred Jackson against Dolphins
Marshawn Lynch against Dolphins
Tashard Choice against Broncos
Cadillac Williams against Redskins[/QUOTE]

Start Lynch and Choice. Lynch is in his second week back and they are going to look to get him more involved. I would go with Choice but for the record Choice plays KC not Denver.

Who do you guys think I should start at QB today: Flacco or McNabb?

Both have favorable matchups, but it's McNabb's first game back and his ribs are still hurting, while Flacco has been continuing to light it up. I'm definitely leaning towards Flacco.

Also Housh or Garcon as my third receiver?

Flacco, because - as you've said - McNabb's ribs aren't 100%.

Garcon, because Tennessee's D makes receivers look like gods. That and Housh I doubt will repeat last week's numbers.

Who should I go with as my second RB?

Kevin Smith vs the Steelers or Larry Johnson vs the Cowboys

Also, McNabb or Palmer?

I'm leaning towards McNabb (even at less than 100%) since Palmer is going against the Ravens and McNabb is going against the Bucs.

I'd go Smith / McNabb. No opinion on the QB situation, but I actually dropped LJ in a league because I was tired of him sucking week in and week out.

[quote name='Danimal']For my 2 cents, I agree with the advice of both Kilraven and JStryke on those lineup choices.[/QUOTE]

Well, then you are 25% wrong - and I am 50% right. Seeing how McDag-Nabbit is tearing it up with Maclin, and Flacco is looking flaccid.

[quote name='JStryke']Go figure the week I play against McNabb, Celek doesn't tear it up to negate McNabb. Bah.[/QUOTE]

How about this: DeSean getting me a big, fat, pathetic, one point. Anderson throwing worse than Russell, and I started Mo Mass. Cap if off with me starting McCoy in my flex over D. Brown. Yeah, Titans rush D is nothing to scoff at, but it won't surprise me if Brown goes off on receptions tonight.

My only saving grace thus far has been picking up Austin on Friday and starting him - 250 yards and two TDs (could've been could have been three, counting two scoring drops)..

[quote name='JStryke']Go figure the week I play against McNabb, Celek doesn't tear it up to negate McNabb. Bah.[/QUOTE]Yeah, not much from Celek today. I sat Heath Miller down in favor of Celek this week, and I also went with Westbrook over Cedric Benson, since Benson was facing the tough Ravens run D. So much for that.

Still, the guy I played against got a grand total of 13.5 points from his RBs and WRs (we give 0.5 PPR)- Jerome Harrison, Fred Jackson, Calvin Johnson, and Terrell Owens- so I breezed to an easy win despite my less than brilliant lineup decisions. :cool:

Another thing that screwed me over was starting Mason over Housh. Any other week that would have worked. I have awful luck this year.

Down 9 points with Bironas and the Jets D. I'm not screwed yet, but jeez...

didnt start ryan or white. i was convinced the 49ers D would hold them back (at least a little). nope, 60+ points combined in our league scoring. now im going into monday night tied, he has keller and i have NYJ D. its going to be close.

[quote name='JStryke']I'd go Smith / McNabb. No opinion on the QB situation, but I actually dropped LJ in a league because I was tired of him sucking week in and week out.[/QUOTE]

I went with Johnson/McNabb and while McNabb got me 31 pts, Johnson had a total of 3 pts. :whistle2:| Smith ended up with 9. I'm only up 17 pts with the other person still having Thomas Jones and Miami's D left to play. Those 6 pts sure would've helped.

I'm dissapointed that Jones-Drew was only good for 5 pts. I'm giving up on Johnson and getting rid of both McNabb and Palmer this week (trades).

[quote name='Kilraven']Flacco, because - as you've said - McNabb's ribs aren't 100%.

Garcon, because Tennessee's D makes receivers look like gods. That and Housh I doubt will repeat last week's numbers.[/QUOTE]

5 minutes before game time I switched to the McNabb/ Housh combo. After looking at Flacco's opponents so far this year and looking at how many sacks Cincy already had, I figured it would be a tougher start for him. Glad I did.....McNabb 24.78 pts.....Flacco 6.17 pts

and had to go with Housh...figured he was finally do for a breakout game and with Hasslebeck back I decided to go with him....Housh 15.85 pts.....Garcon....0.45 pts

Thanks for the advice though.....It was definitely inline with my initial thoughts, but I had to go with my gut.....glad I did:D

[quote name='Kilraven']That right there is 99% of winning FF.[/QUOTE] The other 1% is luck of scheduling.
I'm the 2nd highest scoring team in my division, 3rd highest in the league & I'm 1-4.
I've had the 2nd highest scoring team for the week twice & lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i just hit the panic button and traded randy moss.

randy moss and heath miller (picked off waivers this week) for dallas clark and anquan boldin

i figure with the way manning is playing clark will benefit me more. i still have roddy white and brandon marshall for WR. this is the 2nd straight year ive traded moss for a TE (moss for gates last year).

[quote name='klwillis45']The other 1% is luck of scheduling.
I'm the 2nd highest scoring theam in my division, 3rd highest in the league & I'm 1-4.
I've had the 2nd highest scoring team for the week twice & lost.[/QUOTE]

Scheduling is HUGE. I finished ahead by 200+ points one year in my league and didn't even make the playoffs (I finished 5th out of 10 teams). This year I'm 7th in points but 4th in the standings. I won this week despite having the second worst week in the league.

[quote name='klwillis45']The other 1% is luck of scheduling.
I'm the 2nd highest scoring theam in my division, 3rd highest in the league & I'm 1-4.
I've had the 2nd highest scoring team for the week twice & lost.[/QUOTE]
I sometimes think it's the other way around; 1% being listening to your gut, and 99% being luck of scheduling. I scored 89 and won this week, a buddy of mine scored 72 and won, while another buddy scored 111 and lost. It's funny as hell when you're on the right end of that sort of thing, but it sucks hard when you're on the wrong end of it.

We had a guy a couple years ago go 12-1 despite ranking 8th (out of 12 teams) in total scoring. With almost any other schedule than the one he ended up with, he'd have been a sub-.500 team. Last year I went 10-3 in my league, best record, # 1 seed in the playoffs, and I lost the Super Bowl to a team that went 7-6 and barely squeaked in as a wildcard. Good or bad, luck is HUGE in FF.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Someone in my league put Tom Brady and Pierre Thomas on waivers!!! Are these people on crack?[/QUOTE]

did they just drop them? or did they replace them for legit players? are they in last place, maybe they are quitting in a fit of rage, ive seen it before.

One person dropped Brady and picked up Vince Young? WTF?
Same person dropped Thomas for Jaamal Charles, guessing because of the bye for the Saints last week.

You must all be in like 7 team leagues because dropping Moss, Brady or even Heath Miller is a tad retarded. I'm trying to trade Big Ben for Marques Colston right now, do you guys think this is a fair trade?

Average? He has the 2nd most fantasy points out of every QB and Marques probably has the title of WR1 but on an offense like that the ball gets spread around so much the title is a moot point. Marques doesn't even break top 20.

[quote name='slickkill77']No. Big Ben is an average fantasy qb, while Colston plays on the best offensive team as the number 1 wr.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you're giving Big Ben enough credit. He's never been an elite fantasy QB, true enough, but he's been very solid so far this year. By my leagues scoring rules ( 1 point per 20 yards passing/ 10 yards rushing, 3 points per TD pass, -1 per INT) he's scored 19,19,22,22, and 21 in his 5 games this year. That kind of consistency is nice to have at QB. He won't have any 350 yard, 5 TD games, but his numbers should stay where they've been because the Steelers can't run the ball like they used to.

Meanwhile, I agree that Colston is the #1 WR on arguably the NFL's best offense, but again going by my league's scoring rules (1 point per 10 yards receiving, 6 points per TD catch) he's put up 10,25,8, and 4 points. That seems like under-performing for what I'd expect from him.

I'd call Roethlisberger for Colston a decent trade at this point.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']I'm trying to trade Big Ben for Marques Colston right now, do you guys think this is a fair trade?[/QUOTE]

Who is your back-up QB?

Would anyone like to talk about good adds for the upcoming week? I was lucky to pick up Miles Austin about 10 minutes before kickoff on Sunday after I found out he'd be starting with Roy Williams out. I feel better when I go out and pick up a guy like that as opposed to drafting a beast...so who do you guys like this week?

bread's done
Back