FASA Studio shuts down.

[quote name='coltcannon']Surprising?, no.[/quote]
agreed. it's actually been known that FASA and M$ have been havin' problems w/ each other (due to production, ie. sales), and that shadowrun was to be FASA's last game on 360... least, so far. i think it was because of how mechassault 2 tanked, but i can't remember what else, if anything

So MS owned them? Thank MS for buying them and FASA hiring braindead programmers who don't know how to code in 3D. I guess this means no chance of a REAL 3D Shadowrun with a R6 style team set up in CO-OP missions to frag Lone Star. Also a real story mode with contacts who pass you job's.
Even another Genesis one with even more stuff and online I wouldn't mind. Thank you MS for destroying one of the few Western studio's with a Western RPG I love.

I firmly believe Shadowruns failure lies in the fact that there is no single-player (aka offline) mode/campaign. Who wants to pay $60 for a 360 game that is online only? Certainly not i...would have picked this up though had there been an actual single player story.

i thought this was well known already. i mean i remember hearing how the studio was shutting down right after shadowrun was released.

[quote name='triforcer']i thought this was well known already. i mean i remember hearing how the studio was shutting down right after shadowrun was released.[/quote]

Yeah, this is old news. I heard about this on the a podcast before the game came out.

This is official confirmation though. The FASA director basically called the whistleblower everything but a dirty lier and now a few months later the whistleblower was right. I wonder how many websites the FASA head will cuss out now?

And Crimson Skies 2 becomes even more of an impossibility. Why, shadowrun, why?

I knew this was gonna happen with mitch giddle"bitch"man was on the 1up yours show. He basically said fuck you to all the pc people with shadowrun then he basically said fuck you to all the shadowrun fans and then said fuck you to all the people that wanted that to be fixed.

Im glad that guy was more of a pompous asshole then itagaki is.

It is my sad duty to announce that FASA Studio has officially closed its doors. Today was the official last day of employment for those of us who had not moved on to other positions within Microsoft Game Studios. While the rumors have been circulating forever, we chose to wait on an official announcement because we didn’t want people’s attention distracted from our last product, Shadowrun, a game we love

This is video game Darwinism. You game using the name of an awesome game from over a decade ago, and then that game is hyped to all hell, only to turn out to be an absolute turd, you die.

Crimson Skies was good, though, but I imagine MS owns the rights to it.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I guess this squelches any chance to a follow-up to the terrificly underrated Crimson Skies . . .[/quote]

Didn't think of that, love Shadowrun - but a CS sequel would be amazing.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Wait shadowrun sold??? I thought the demo was horrible its like css with the warcraft 3 mod.[/QUOTE]

LOL. That analogy never occurred to me, but it totally works.

Let this be a lesson to other developers...don't release half a game at the full $60 price! Shadowrun was pretty good, not great, but being online only was really a big problem for me (I feel the same about Warhawk).

If they would have released this game at $40 it probabl would have done much better, but it loks like that still wouldn't have been enough to save FASA.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']Let this be a lesson to other developers...don't release half a game at the full $60 price! Shadowrun was pretty good, not great, but being online only was really a big problem for me (I feel the same about Warhawk).

If they would have released this game at $40 it probabl would have done much better, but it loks like that still wouldn't have been enough to save FASA.[/quote]

*cough* counter-strike on xbox!! *cough*

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I guess this squelches any chance to a follow-up to the terrificly underrated Crimson Skies . . .[/QUOTE]
Maybe not, as I'm sure MS owns the rights to that title. Still, since MS has done nothing with that franchise recently I am starting to wonder. For me, it was one of the best games on the original XBOX, and one that brought back fond memories of the original Warhawk.

I had fun with Shadowrun for about a week, then it got kind of boring. The lack of content doomed this game from the start.

Even if FASA did put out some new maps and modes, they would likely be lost in the mix of holiday releases. Only the extremely hardcore SR players would care about or want DLC when Halo 3, COD4, Mass Effect, etc. are released.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I guess this squelches any chance to a follow-up to the terrificly underrated Crimson Skies . . .[/QUOTE]
The crimson skies you are reffering to was already a followup to the pc crimson skies. Microsoft could have bungie make the next crimson skies if they wanted to as the first game was made by zipper.

It sucks that they wasted their last game on a fps version of shadowrun. I don't know what they were smoking but it serves them right.
A follow up to the genesis game or rpg version would have sold much better and been a hell of a lot more fun to play.

[quote name='aniousjoe']agreed. it's actually been known that FASA and M$ have been havin' problems w/ each other (due to production, ie. sales), and that shadowrun was to be FASA's last game on 360... least, so far. i think it was because of how mechassault 2 tanked, but i can't remember what else, if anything[/QUOTE]

FASA didn't have anything to do with Mechassault 2, did they? Maybe you're thinking Mech Warrior?

edit: Nevermind. I had no idea. I thought Mechassault 1 & 2 were done by Day 1 Studios alone.

MjC

I had no idea that FASA was closing, But thank god they fixed the online system before they closed. It was bad in the first few months, But it works great now!

And why all of the shadowrun hate? I don't get it, But maybe that is because I never played the first one.

bread's done
Back