Fave RPG's??

I guess you can say I'm a classic Final Fantasy fan, all the way up to VII. Suikoden and Suikoden II are high in my book as well, along with the Phantasy Star series (minus III).

As far as strat-RPG's, I will go with Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, and and the Fire Emblem games.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Chrono Cross
4. Final Fantasy 3
5. Secret of Mana OR KH 1+2

I'd have to go for those as my top 3, though a LOT of others are close.

EDIT: Changed 3 to Chrono Cross.

My favorite ever is Final Fantasy VII. I played it a while back and have played many since, but I still think it is tops. Beyond that, some others I love are Kingdom Hearts 1-2, Final Fantasy X, Star Tropics (NES), Parasite Eve. Im really into the tactical rpg's also. Fire Emblem is a lot of fun as is Final Fantasy tactics. I am dying to get my hands on Earthbound and Chrono Trigger for reasonable prices.

Best Ever
-Final Fantasy 3/6
-Secret of Mana (Played it with a friend as the second player. Best co-op ever)
-Baldurs Gate 2 and the million mods for it. (And all other bioware games)
-Chrono Trigger (doesn't make to much sense but it's what caused me to favor the n64 more then the PSX)
-Golden Sun 1 and 2

underappreciated
-Secret of Evermore on SNES
-Dragon Quest Series ( so many games and even remakes like DQ5 not released here it's a crime)
-Quest for Glory series ((not 5) it's technically my first RPG and is a RPG Adventure)
-Sigma Star Saga (Shooter/RPG for GBA)

I believe all RPG games should play a little of all these games. These are all games i've beaten/ or beaten at least one game in the series and have thoroughly enjpyed.

[quote name='j.elles']Best Ever
-Final Fantasy 3/6
-Chrono Trigger (doesn't make to much sense but it's what caused me to favor the n64 more then the PSX)
-Golden Sun 1 and 2

underappreciated
-Dragon Quest Series ( so many games and even remakes like DQ5 not released here it's a crime)
-Quest for Glory series ((not 5) it's technically my first RPG and is a RPG Adventure)

I believe all RPG games should play a little of all these games. These are all games i've beaten/ or beaten at least one game in the series and have thoroughly enjpyed.[/quote]

Yeah I forgot to mention Golden Sun. I am not to far into it, but is it a fairly difficult game until the end? I have gotten to Sartoros (the first big boss?) and got beat the first three times I tried.

humm...

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Secret of Mana
3. Chrono Cross
4. Xenogears
5. Vagrant Story
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
9. Suikoden III
10. Final Fantasy X

edit:
I know Vagrant Story is probably more action/adventure oriented than a real RPG, but that game is legendary in my opinon.

[quote name='j.elles']Best Ever
-Final Fantasy 3/6
-Golden Sun 1 and 2

underappreciated

I believe all RPG games should play a little of all these games. These are all games i've beaten/ or beaten at least one game in the series and have thoroughly enjpyed.[/quote]

Don't you mean SNES for Chrono Trigger?

My favorite RPGs are as follows (not particular order):

Super Mario RPG
Suikoden series (4 is a bastard but still)
Breath of Fire series
Wild Arms series
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound

My favorite RPG series was Final Fantasy through the PS1 generation. However, I haven't enjoyed any of the current gen games. I guess the Suikoden series has been my favorite of the last few years, that or Wild Arms.

My Top 5:

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Suikoden
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Wild Arms

I'm not really decisive so in my top RPGs are:

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FF VI, VII, VIII, and X.

There's quite a few other RPGs that I loved but that fall just below those for me.

I was never a very big fan of turn-based RPGs. However, the combination of real-time / turn-based gameplay found in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, coupled with a fanfucking tastic story make it one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

In addition, I cannot forget the game that practically defined the Action RPG genre, Diablo. Decent story with the most addictive gameplay I've ever experienced.

And last but no least, The Elder Scrolls series, simply for the sheer openness that these gems of games offer. Talk about roleplaying...

craven_fiend - I said it didn't make any sense remember. What I meant was Chrono Trigger came out at the end of the SNES life span and caused me to stick with Nintendo more then Playstation. As I still do today. To me it still looks better then most of the PS2/PS1 RPGs. Chrono Cross would have been better independent. It was no where near as good as the original and didn't belong in the series IMO.

jah2004 - I leveled up while at work to level 60 in the original Golden Sun. You want hard try fighting the secret Boss in Golden Sun 2. The one that requires all the Djinis. I was level 70 or something and took both parties and I only just killed him. All my revive items and casters were dead and only one or two charecters were left standing. In other words I'm a bad person to ask about diffictulty about the first one. I thought it was easy. Except for some of the puzzles.

I completly Agree with Mario RPG. And KOTOR was listed in my list because it was made my Bioware. Elder scrolls is fun but way to open ended and do anything for me(Last one I played was Daggerfall). I'll probably give Oblivian a chance though as soon as I get a 360.

still not exactly sure on my fave, but i'll list some of the ones i've played more:

suikoden 1 and 2
valk profile
lunar SSSC
earthbound
any final fantasy except x-2..didn't like that as much
chrono trigger
xenosaga
grandia 1 and 2
illusion of gaia
mario rpg
bof series
secret of mana

the list goes on!

1. Vagrant Story
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Tales of Symphonia
6. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
7. Grandia II
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
9. Dragon Quest VIII
10. Golden Sun

They're underrated but I really like Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon. I second KOTOR, Vagrant Story all the Final Fantasy games. I'm currently playing Tales of Symphonia and it's up there also. Skies of Arcadia might be my fave for this generation.

for oldschool console rpg's I'll say Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and FFIII (VI).

But my all time favorite old school rpg's were the AD&D 'Gold Box' games from SSI. Pool of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc... those games ruled on the good old C64 back in the day.

I haven't played to many of the recent ones as i get really annoyed when i move a character for 30 seconds and then sit and watch a movie for 10-15 mins. That drives me insane.

My favorites though would have to be:

Wild Arms 1 - i loved this game. Not sure how it holds up to the test of time but when i first played it, it was great

Chrono Cross - same, but i played it recently so even by today's standards it is good.

Vandal Hearts - this is a fun strategy rpg. When you kill another guy, blood shoots everywhere. Very fun game.

Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast - definitely a good game.

Grandia II Dreamcast - same as above.

Hmm..

1. Ultima V
2. KOTOR 1
3. Elder Scrolls 4
4. Arc the Lad series
5. Shining Force Series
6. Wasteland (still good.. look it up young'ins)
7. Zelda 2 (arguably the most "rpg" of the zeldas - love this game)

boy there are many more... those are what come to mind.

Just thought I would limit myself to the three RPGs per console that I remember spending alot of time on.

NES
Dragon Warrion IV
Crystalis
Desert Commander

SNES
Final Fantasy 3 (VI)
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2

GENISIS
Shining Force 1&2
Phantasy Star 4

PS1
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics

GC
Skies of Arcadia
Gladius
Batan Kaitos

In no Particular order:

Grandia
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star IV
Phantasy Star
Skies of Arcadia

And, if action RPGs count:

Ys Book 1 & 2
Zelda series
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II
Secret of Mana

Speaking as a gamer who has played hundreds of rpgs to completion the top five would have to be:

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Chrono Cross

Of course, there are many excellent rpgs out there but these games stand out in their gameplay and story.

You liked Chrono Cross more them Trigger. Ach. Disgusting. Chrono Cross isn't even in the same league as the original Chrono Trigger.

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Fable
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
9. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
10. Paper Mario

Chrono Trigger is good, but Chrono Cross is at another level. Two parallel worlds to explore; physically the same, populated by the "same" people. Yet the person you meet in one world may be very different from the person in the other world, and intereact with you in surprising ways. The game is the definition of innovation, and what's more it is innovation that works. The biggest flaw in the game is that with 40+ characters to recruit from two worlds, you never learn much about some of the charcters. The game is great.

We'll have to disagree on that. Chrono Trigger in my mind completly outclasses Cross. Have you seen the Chrono Trigger Ressurection Project. Square is so evil for forcing them to cancel that. If they don't release a game in the next 3-5 years in the series I hope theyt burn in hell.

Wasn't the Chrono Resurrection Project a fan game? I can understand people wanting a sequel to a favorite game, but Chrono Trigger doesn't need one. The story is self contained and doesn't leave many loose ends.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6147770/index.html

Check out the side bar to the right. Click the link and check out more shots. For shame for not knowing about this by the way. It was a remake of Chrono Trigger.

And that kind of sentiment is for dream land by the way. From Games and movies to books and plays. Unwanted or unneeded sequels are a fact of life. Best to get used to it.

I'll only list the top five from ones I have actually beaten...

1. Chrono Trigger :drool:
2. Fantasy III
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Secret of Mana
5. Vandal Hearts

Top Ten Goodness (always subject to change!) ;)

Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Planescape Torment
Final Fantasy 6
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Diablo
Shadow Hearts 2
Xenosaga 1

I REALLY want to play some older RPG's, and by old I mean Wasteland, Eye of the Beholder...one day I will.

I'm very well aware of the presence of sequels. I've played dozens of them. I'm just saying Chrono trigger doesn't cry out for one the way games like Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, or even Radiata Stories do.

[quote name='Davos']Speaking as a gamer who has played hundreds of rpgs to completion the top five would have to be:

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Chrono Cross

Of course, there are many excellent rpgs out there but these games stand out in their gameplay and story.[/QUOTE]

Is Lunar 2 that much better than Lunar 1? I have played thru Lunar 1 in the past and I thought it was an OK game (nothing spectacular though).

Lunar 2 eclipses Lunar 1 in every way: gameplay, story, characters, graphics, music, you name it. Without spoiling anything, Lucia is one of the most memorable video game chicks ever. And when a game's ending is five hours long you know it's good.

[quote name='Davos']Lunar 2 eclipses Lunar 1 in every way: gameplay, story, characters, graphics, music, you name it. Without spoiling anything, Lucia is one of the most memorable video game chicks ever. And when a game's ending is five hours long you know it's good.[/QUOTE]

humm....
interesting....
guess i need to hunt down Lunar 2 in the near future.
thanks for the advice.

[quote name='Davos']I'm very well aware of the presence of sequels. I've played dozens of them. I'm just saying Chrono trigger doesn't cry out for one the way games like Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, or even Radiata Stories do.[/QUOTE]
Who said anything about a sequel to Chrono Trigger. A consider a sequel to be a game that has the same charecters as the original or at the very least in the game and referenced quite a bit. In that respect Cross wasn't a true sequel. And the remakes I talked about were that remakes not sequels. Same game with updated visuals and some cut scenes. Where did that come from. Do you consider remakes sequels?

Hmmm,this is a tough one since I play and beaten so many rpgs.

1.Chrono Trigger
2.Final Fantasy III(snes)
3.Final Fantasy Tactics
4.suikoden ii
5.dragon force
6.final fantasy 7
7.Shining Force 3 Senario 1
8.Secret of Mana
9.Mario Rpg
10.Disgaea

[quote name='j.elles']Who said anything about a sequel to Chrono Trigger. A consider a sequel to be a game that has the same charecters as the original or at the very least in the game and referenced quite a bit. In that respect Cross wasn't a true sequel. And the remakes I talked about were that remakes not sequels. Same game with updated visuals and some cut scenes. Where did that come from. Do you consider remakes sequels?[/QUOTE]

I agree,Chrono Cross isn't a sequel.It's entire new game such as final fantasy series.Chrono Cross does have a scene small scene with Lucca,but that's scene is meanless like Lenny in Shadow Hearts,Biggs or Wedge in FF games or other Nippon Iche characters in Atlus srpgs.

Chrono Cross is technically a sequel because it's set in the same continuity as Chrono Trigger. Remakes are weak, plain an simple. A game should stand on its own merits. The desire for updated graphics and the like is a symptom of the weakening of the imaginations of gamers. As graphics become sharper and characers are voiced, the imagination of the gamer becomes less important, and the gamer expects the game to be played out for him like a movie.

[quote name='Davos']Chrono Cross is technically a sequel because it's set in the same continuity as Chrono Trigger. Remakes are weak, plain an simple. A game should stand on its own merits. The desire for updated graphics and the like is a symptom of the weakening of the imaginations of gamers. As graphics become sharper and characers are voiced, the imagination of the gamer becomes less important, and the gamer expects the game to be played out for him like a movie.[/QUOTE]
Oh be quiet. Just because you don't like remakes or any other type of game theres no reason to make fun of them and the people who like them. Stop being such a hater. All I do is say I don't like it, when people talk about games, genres etc... I don't like.

Pretty much no one who's played both says that Chross is a true sequel.

I'm just stating a fact. As graphics become more realistic, imagination's role in the gameplay experience decreases. This is especially unfortunate in the case of RPGs because the genre began with pen-and-paper games that took place completely in the players' imaginations.

Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)

EDIT: And for the above posters, I believe Lunar 1 is better than 2. Both had great stories, but Lunar 2 dragged the battles out a bit too much. Both great though.

Is there a difference between the Sega CD and PS1 version. Of Lunar I mean.

Anyway heres hoping the Sega CD, 32X, etc... games come in some form on the revolution. A SD card or CD that you buy that is a collection or something else like just a simple download. I know the files will be big but the SD cards are more then big enough to handle it. Plus they've already said you can hook up a Hard Drive through the USB slots. That would be great. Some of those games are so rare.

Anyway Davos I still think you're just complaining. As something becomes popular a lot becomes less imaginitive true. But you need to look in other areas for creativity. You aren't much in to computer games and the modding community for various Computer RPG's are you. There are also some fan made games that are completly original and very creative that range from buy for a small amount of money to freeware. Also Besides the Obvious NeverWinter Nights and Baldurs Gate 2 Mods, quite a few of which are spectacular and creative, there are a lot of other Computer games that have active communities; you just need to look.

[quote name='mousin']1. Tales of Phantasia SNES

4. Secret of Mana 2[/QUOTE]
What do you mean Secret of Mana 1 and 2. I know that 3 has a fan translation, but only one of the games ever made it over here under the title Secret of Mana. Or do you read Japanese. TOPhantasia was never released for the SNES over here either so do you mean Famicom. Clear this up for me because i'm a little confused.

bread's done
Back