FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

I agree about Uruguay and Argentina not being that strong but I feel like Brazil and Neymar in particular are going to have a good cup. That's Brazil the team, not the country. The country is going to have a rough summer, I think, between the crazy travel schedules, crime, facilities, and civil unrest. I think the people are fed up with the politicians' promises and seeing no benefit from the World Cup or 2016 Olympics.

Belgium might have a good WC, but the next Euro and WC they should be crazy good with all the young talent they have that will be in their prime years at the next Euro and WC

Only thing is the teams from outside Europe are the weakest they have ever been... Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil are not the teams that they have been in the past... I think that run ends this summer.
Agreed. We are also talking about only 4 WCs being held in South America. Not exactly a large sample seize. Up until 2010 no European team had won outside of Europe and Spain put an end to that. So who really knows?

Here are my early favorites:

Tier 1

1. Brazil

2. Germany

3. Argentina

4. Spain

Tier 2

5. Belgium

6. Uruguay

7. Netherlands (they need to win the group to avoid Brazil... a tall task when you are in a group with Spain and Chile) The 2nd team in Group B will have an impossible task to make to the final. If they do make it they will certainly be battle tested.

8. Italy

Dark Horse

France or USA (If Falcao was healthy I would pick Columbia instead of France)

I can setup a WC bracket group on ESPN if folks are interested in partaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belgium might have a good WC, but the next Euro and WC they should be crazy good with all the young talent they have that will be in their prime years at the next Euro and WC
It's between Belgium and Germany to dominate Europe. Russia 2018 is due or die for Germany assuming they don't pull it off this year.

I feel like Brazil and Neymar in particular are going to have a good cup. That's Brazil the team, not the country.
They are going to have a ridiculous first game out of the group stage as they will be playing either Chile (who's crazy underrated) Spain or the Netherlands. We'll know then what that Brazilian squad is made of. Their group is a pretty easy group for them.

I'm also in for that ESPN group. Are we rewarding the best predictions with anything or is this strictly bragging rights?

Also, killer, how are you defining tier 1 and tier 2. IMO a tier 2 is a dark horse...

They are going to have a ridiculous first game out of the group stage as they will be playing either Chile (who's crazy underrated) Spain or the Netherlands. We'll know then what that Brazilian squad is made of. Their group is a pretty easy group for them.

I'm also in for that ESPN group. Are we rewarding the best predictions with anything or is this strictly bragging rights?

Also, killer, how are you defining tier 1 and tier 2. IMO a tier 2 is a dark horse...
Agreed. Brazil has an incredibly difficult road to the final. They will have to go through either Spain/Chile/Netherlands follow that up by playing Italy and than have to face the Germans in the semifinals. That is a tall task for any team but they do get the benefit of playing on home soil.

Winner gets either a copy of FIFA 15 or FIFA World Cup (console of your choice) depending on what we all decide on.

Dark horse teams IMO are teams that have incredibly long odds. Belgium currently has the fifth best odds of winning the WC. They can't really be considered a dark horse. I would say a team like Croatia, Ivory Coast or USA are dark horse teams.

Mexico has put a ban on beef because of concerns over ingesting the banned, performance-enhancing drug clenbuterol but Miguel Ponce (who was just added as an injury replacement for Juan Carlos Medina) has already committed the crime. "I ate a few tacos, but I hope there is no problem," said Ponce. "From now on I'll follow what's been requested."

Another ban dropped on the national team is sex. Even those with wives and girlfriends. I could understand this for players not to pick up women while they are there but even the married ones?! To me, that's absurd.

Coach Herrera said "No, no one. If a player can't go one month or 20 days without having sexual relations, then they are not prepared to be a professional player. All the players we have selected have a pretty good resume, they all have won great things, they have been champions and obviously, they know what they want to achieve."

Luis Suarez suffered a meniscus injury that will require immediate surgery. It puts his World Cup participation in jeopardy but reports in Uruguay are saying it should only take him 15-20 days to recover.

Wow!!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock: I can't believe Landon didn't make it. The best American of all-time left off the team for an 18 year old with 1 cap. Jurgen Kilnnsman knows something we don't know. That golden ticket to this WC better pay off in future World Cups to leave out our best.

Perhaps greatest outfield player but not the current best.

Edit: Reread your post. We're on the same page.

Should have left Jozy at home vs Donovan.

Jozy will stand around up front and not move and then complain about not getting service.

Gonna lose all 3 games.

US had no chance to advance with Donovan. So it's no big deal either way.
You have to watch more football if you honestly believe that...

At this point, I'm a little more calm than my initial reaction to the news. I have faith in Jurgen Klinsmann that he's not only doing what's best for this year's squad, but getting the young guns some experience for World Cups to come. Still, it's a little tough to leave Donovan's experience at home for the likes of a DeAndre Yedlin or John Brooks...I guess that's Landon's punishment for that little 'find myself' break he took from the game.

Shocked to hear Donavan did not make the squad. Hard to believe there is a better super sub on the current squad. If nothing else his technical ability and experience should have been enough. The only thing I could guess is that Jurgen wanted to bring in some of the new guys and show to everyone that no one is above the team.

Was also surprised Donovan didn't make it, especially with Altidore making it despite his form. Hopefully it works out and/or doesn't make a different but not convinced of that. 

Wonder if the draw had anything to do with it? Pretty tall task to advance, might have just said f it and brought along so many young players to get a taste of WC to look ahead for the future.

Klinnsman has a pair on him though. If they dont advance, people will seriously question not bring landon, especially if you end up with a key loss to say Ghana when it was tied 1-1 and say the 70th and you didnt have what everyone believes to be a super sub who could come on and pressure the goal to go for the win. 

Flip side, if they do advance, looks like a genius.

wonder what his starting lineup will be.

Edit: also thinking about it some more, he wasnt expected to get down to 23 until first of June, or about 2 weeks from start of WC. I bet that leaving out LD was a big reason to do it early, get it out of the way so all the soccer talking heads and the fans will come to grips with it/get over it before the start of the WC and it wont be as much of a distraction by then.

Unless of course they lose that first game to Ghana, then it will explode.

You can't really blame him though. Even if that is his mindset, however, he should could have still brought Donovan along for the ride. Let the man set the American record of 4 World Cups played in and give him a shot at the being first to score in 3 different Cups. Especially over a John Brooks (who must've looked amazing in practice because against Ukraine was nothing desirable) or a Timmy Chandler, who rejected Klinsmann's call ups on multiple occasions.

And you have to think Jurgen released the line-up early for the team's sake. Lets them settle down about the chances of not making the team. Allows them adjust to each other and now, gives them time to accept that Landon Donovan is not going with them.

I look forward to these tune up friendlies.

I'm still looking forward to it, and I hope Julian Green pans out to an amazing player for the team, I feel like they are putting a lot on him just to get him in the system and on the records for FIFA and not being able to switch back.

McBride is the best number 9 we have ever had. Hopefully Altidore surpasses him someday.

On a slight tangent, pretty good CL Final so far.  

I feel bad for Atletico. That Bale goal was all from poor defending of an injured Juanfran and by the time Marcelo got his, Atletico was dead tired. They were barely moving. Had to be Marcelo's easiest professional goal. Crazy to think they were 2-3 minutes from being crowned champs of Europe and ended up getting blown out.

Another ban dropped on the national team is sex. Even those with wives and girlfriends. I could understand this for players not to pick up women while they are there but even the married ones?! To me, that's absurd.

Coach Herrera said "No, no one. If a player can't go one month or 20 days without having sexual relations, then they are not prepared to be a professional player. All the players we have selected have a pretty good resume, they all have won great things, they have been champions and obviously, they know what they want to achieve."
I'm sorry, but this would piss me off. Maybe I'm just not a good wife, but I don't think your job should dictate my/our sex life :/

Also, I'm probably late to this party, but I just read that Donovan isn't on the World Cup roster list and is all pissy. I don't follow American soccer, but isn't Donovan like one of the best players for USAs team? I'm trying to understand why thy wouldn't want him, but can't (although the article did mention some beef he has with some coach or something)

I'm sorry, but this would piss me off. Maybe I'm just not a good wife, but I don't think your job should dictate my/our sex life :/

Also, I'm probably late to this party, but I just read that Donovan isn't on the World Cup roster list and is all pissy. I don't follow American soccer, but isn't Donovan like one of the best players for USAs team? I'm trying to understand why thy wouldn't want him, but can't (although the article did mention some beef he has with some coach or something)
Last I read, Donovan was saying that if it was decided based on performances at Camp, that he believes he should've been on the roster, even in contention to start. There has to be some internal issues between he and the coaching staff because I'd bet my life on the fact that Donovan is a better fit to go to Brazil than more than a few of those guys. Personally I believe Donovan should be going to Brazil and I already mentioned a couple guys I'd take him over in the thread, but I don't make the millions to run these decisions. It's on coach Klinsmann and we as American fans need to trust this man. He's already made a positive impact on the national team so there's no reason to doubt him.

Donovan is basically being, for lack of a more appropriate word, a whiney bitch.

YOURE the one who went on a sabbatical to find yourself and didnt play soccer for like a year, missing some WCQ matches. Stop complaining about how you thought you were better in training than other players and that you should be going. Obviously that wasnt the case for the coaches. You giving a shitty interview after your crappy MLS match or training or whatever it was (basically MLS is pretty amatuerish compared to the rest of the worlds top leagues, and yes you compare it to the top leagues, its the top American league) doesnt help the situation for you any and just makes you a whiney bitch with sour grapes.

Klinnsman sent a direct message to all American players, no one is bigger than the game.

ESPN's top 10 forwards going into the World Cup. Based on each player's recent form (for both club and country), scoring ability and overall attention he commands from opposing defenders.

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Luis Suarez

3) Lionel Messi

4) Diego Costa

5) Sergio Aguero

6) Edin Dzeko

7) Robin Van Persie

8) Mario Mandzukic

9) Karim Benzema

10) Alexis Sanchez

ESPN's top 10 forwards going into the World Cup. Based on each player's recent form (for both club and country), scoring ability and overall attention he commands from opposing defenders.

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Luis Suarez

3) Lionel Messi

4) Diego Costa

5) Sergio Aguero

6) Edin Dzeko

7) Robin Van Persie

8) Mario Mandzukic

9) Karim Benzema

10) Alexis Sanchez
only issue i have with the list is Dzeko, he is too high. Oh and Diego Costa as he is injured (should be good for WC still, but wont be 100 percent fit prolly)

Oh and only reason im ok with Suarez above messi is messi had a pretty down year for him, and you cant undervalue how well Suarez can dive and get you a crucial free kick, penalty, and/or card for the opposing player who barely touched him.

RVP had a OK season before getting hurt while completing a hat trick, but I'm not sure he is 100% fit.

I'm not a big Mandzukic fan but he's too high. He scored goals on the best team in Germany with the rest of the league struggling, and plays with arguably the best midfield in the world. He's a slightly less crap Andy Carroll on a very good team.

Higuain and Cavani are two big names missing from that list but I'm not sure either one of them had a great season to warrant being on the list. On a slight tangent, Klose could break the record for most goals scored in the World Cup. He is one away from Ronaldo (R9).

Did anyone watch the game on Saturday where Ronaldo took off his shirt and then it switched to the coach coming into the field and what looked like a fight was about to break out? They never showed what started it and I doubt Ronaldo's shirt removing caused it. My husband thinks maybe one of the players laughed at the coach, but I didn't see anything. Anyone know what happened?

Did anyone watch the game on Saturday where Ronaldo took off his shirt and then it switched to the coach coming into the field and what looked like a fight was about to break out? They never showed what started it and I doubt Ronaldo's shirt removing caused it. My husband thinks maybe one of the players laughed at the coach, but I didn't see anything. Anyone know what happened?
http://youtu.be/n8fJADzc1uw

http://youtu.be/n8fJADzc1uw
video is gone.

Looked like Varane did something, got a yellow for it. Not interested enough to figure it out.

edit: ok i lied, he kicked the ball at him. What a douche.

Simeone is the balls though, hell of a season for Atletico. Too bad they are going to get raided over the summer.

Back to WC, excited about this friendly tonight, eager to see what sort of lineup The German tosses out.

I'm patiently waiting for the USA v. Azerbaijan game. This is what I hope the line-up looks like:

-----------------------T. Howard---------------------

T. Chandler---G. Cameron---M. Besler---F. Johnson

-----------------------J. Jones--------------------------

C. Dempsey--------M. Bradley----G. Zusi or A. Bedoya

J. Altidore--------A. Johansson

Very excited as well for this friendly. Tonight (although it's Azerbaijan) will show us a lot about the team and hopefully answer question marks, specifically about the back 4 and who's to start up top this summer. A lot of eyes are on Altidore so I hope he does well. With the national team, he's a different player and I don't think he necessarily needs to score (but that would be badass) but he does need to have a dominant performance. Assuming it's Medvedev, Sadygov and Sukurov starting in the backline for Azerbaijan, Altidore will have a couple inches on each of them.

Luckily our opponent is not a world powerhouse that will make us look silly if the football is not perfect, but our friendlies get progressively tougher as the WC gets closer with games against Turkey (Sunday) and Nigeria (Jun 7) so it's very important to get some chemistry and continuity heading into said friendlies.

[quote name="XxFuRy2Xx" post="11794113" timestamp="1401239342"]I'm patiently waiting for the USA v. Azerbaijan game. This is what I hope the line-up looks like:

-----------------------T. Howard---------------------
T. Chandler---G. Cameron---M. Besler---F. Johnson
-----------------------J. Jones--------------------------
C. Dempsey--------M. Bradley----G. Zusi or A. Bedoya
J. Altidore--------A. Johansson[/quote]

Not a bad lineup. I want Klinsmann to settle on a back four. The constant tinkering hurts team chemistry.

4-4-2 diamond

Howard

Johnson--Cameron--Besler--Beasley

Jones

Zusi                      Bedoya

Bradley

Altidore      Dempsey

I like the lineup at first glance, specifically playing Bradley up top with Altidore and Dempsey. With Zusi just behind Bradley there should no reason not to get some decent looking balls into the box.

I'm very interested in this back 4 though.

Hmmm...all of a sudden Wondo has a chance to outplay Jozy and make his case while on the pitch at the same time! This should be interesting. It has to be in the back of both players minds.

Not a fan of Beasley myself but he has played okay tonight. Besler on the other hand is having a pretty shaky game so far.

bread's done
Back