FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

Not a fan of Beasley myself but he has played okay tonight. Besler on the other hand is having a pretty shaky game so far.
Beasley has been really solid at left back for a while. Johnson on other side is ok, besler will get subbed pretty soon I think.

Zusi, wondo, and bedoya all looked good. Jozy was jozy (ie non effective other than some holdup play) bradley pretty eh, and jones is awful, never liked him. He always looks to be on the verge of a major screw up that costs a run out and a goal.

Altidore is being the big guy that we need him to be up top, holding the ball for the attack to move forward, then moving forward himself. I'm glad to see the guys recognize that at halftime. It's been a very solid half for the USA but the player of the game so far is Azerbaijan's keeper. Couple big saves early to deny Wondo a goal.

For the 2nd half, I'd like to see them keep Bradley in but insert Beckerman for Jermaine Jones. Bradley/Beckerman duo has worked well recently so I'm hoping to see it in the second half, even if it's for ten minutes or so. Being a friendly though, we'll probably see a couple halftime switches. If not, then they'll probably come early in the half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beasley has been really solid at left back for a while. Johnson on other side is ok, besler will get subbed pretty soon I think.

Zusi, wondo, and bedoya all looked good. Jozy was jozy (ie non effective other than some holdup play) bradley pretty eh, and jones is awful, never liked him. He always looks to be on the verge of a major screw up that costs a run out and a goal.
Beasly is solid at left back against lesser competition but both Germany and Portugal have world class wingers. I worry about him getting run on by these teams. Then again, I'm not sure there are many players in the world who can keep with the likes of Ronaldo, Reus, Nani, Gotze etc. I am eager to see how we do against Turkey. If Arda Turan plays that would be a good litmus test.

My thoughts on tonight's game are that we looked good on set pieces but lacked a creative spark. Altidore was okay in hold up play. Wondo was a bit unlucky but the ball seemed to find him. Bradley had a poor game by his standards. The subs looked good. I would say a solid B.

Beasly is solid at left back against lesser competition but both Germany and Portugal have world class wingers. I worry about him getting run on by these teams. Then again, I'm not sure there are many players in the world who can keep with the likes of Ronaldo, Reus, Nani, Gotze etc. I am eager to see how we do against Turkey. If Arda Turan plays that would be a good litmus test.

My thoughts on tonight's game are that we looked good on set pieces but lacked a creative spark. Altidore was okay in hold up play. Wondo was a bit unlucky but the ball seemed to find him. Bradley had a poor game by his standards. The subs looked good. I would say a solid B.
More like a C at best, azerbaijin is horrible. They need to play MUCH better in the next match. If wondo directs the first header better that was a goal, second one was pretty good save.

Subs looked good against their subs, not really saying much as their subs are not nearly the caliber of our players.

More like a C at best, azerbaijin is horrible. They need to play MUCH better in the next match. If wondo directs the first header better that was a goal, second one was pretty good save.

Subs looked good against their subs, not really saying much as their subs are not nearly the caliber of our players.
FYI, in Qualifying, Azerbijan Tied Israel, Luxemberg, and Russia, beat Northern Ireland, and only lost to Portugal 2-0... I don't think they are as bad as you are thinking. The big thing with how they play and there past results, they play with 11 men behind the ball the whole game. They play a trap, throw everyone to defend in the box and not allow space or easy plays. It was a bad game in the respect that the US will not play an opponent like this again or in the World Cup. Kind of a dumb warm up game in that sense, but a better team than most give credit to.

I'm leaning more towards last night's performance being a C. There was no fluidity to their play, and watching Besler be so shaky is worrying. Hopefully he gets his head right in the next friendlies.

Also, WTF is Jurgen thinking by continuing to force Chandler out left? He never plays there so it's not his best spot. Just place Fabian out left and Chandler on the right and the backline will look much better.

Also, WTF is Jurgen thinking by continuing to force Chandler out left? He never plays there so it's not his best spot. Just place Fabian out left and Chandler on the right and the backline will look much better.
I thought the exact same thing. They live on the opposite sides lol but Fabian Johnson didn't look too bad on the right.

Time to watch El Tri! Cuauhtémoc Blanco's send off game. Big moment for my wife being a Mexican.

FYI, in Qualifying, Azerbijan Tied Israel, Luxemberg, and Russia, beat Northern Ireland, and only lost to Portugal 2-0... I don't think they are as bad as you are thinking. The big thing with how they play and there past results, they play with 11 men behind the ball the whole game. They play a trap, throw everyone to defend in the box and not allow space or easy plays. It was a bad game in the respect that the US will not play an opponent like this again or in the World Cup. Kind of a dumb warm up game in that sense, but a better team than most give credit to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_UEFA_Group_F

They only beat northern ireland? That team also only won 1 match. They won 1 in 10 and tied 6. Whew, what a team that is. Only lost to portugal by 2? Conveniently you dont mention the 3-0 game, by my count they lost 5-0 to portugal in two games...

They tied russia 1-1 in the last game, russia was already through regardless of outcome of that game.

You cant just look at scores, gotta have some context with them as well.

USA should have won that game way easier than they did. Had wondo scored on that first gimme header, would have been a lot different game. Its the little things like being wide freaking open on a header and putting it right down the middle of the goal into the keeper that keeps you from being a great team.

The next two friendlies will really show us what we have though, you are right in that, this was not a good team to play to challenge the squad. We still should have looked a lot better than they did.

The only thing to take away form the Azerbaijan game is that no one got hurt (sans Dempsey). It was an ugly game where neither team played particularly well. Looking forward to the Turkey game. I hope Jurgen finds a lineup that he likes and sticks with it over the next two friendlies. 

Another thing no one brought up, but why the heck didn't Julian Green play?  He was one of the biggest surprises on the roster and he won't even play in the warmup games?  Then why not choose Donovan to have on the bench instead of him?  Very confusing.

Reports are in that David Villa is moving from Atletico Madrid to NYCFC. Yes the MLS expansion team. He's close to signing a 3 year deal with the new club. Not sure if you guys care about the league but I'm very excited to hear this.

Any other MLS fans here?

Reports are in that David Villa is moving from Atletico Madrid to NYCFC. Yes the MLS expansion team. He's close to signing a 3 year deal with the new club. Not sure if you guys care about the league but I'm very excited to hear this.

Any other MLS fans here?
Color me surprised. Exciting news for the MLS. I would think there would be a few top notch European clubs who would show interest in him. I'm not a huge fan of the MLS but I do go to the occasional Red Bulls game. However going to a Timbers game is on my bucket list. The atmosphere at those games looks awesome.

I fail to see how that is exciting for MLS?

Does david villa have a time machine to turn back the clock before he broke his leg and became a shell of his former self????

THIS is the problem with MLS. Young american players who are not good enough to play in europe, and former really good players who want to live in Murica. Never gonna get any better overall in talent that way.

Also, get on the schedule with the rest of the major leagues already. Its a comedy of errors at this point. They barely start their season (maybe play 1 or 2 matches) before teams in the concacaf CL have to play mexican league teams that have been playing on their league for a decent bit and are in form. Not beneficial at all to not have some games under the team and then have to play teams from other leagues that are better.

God MLS sucks.

Villa is definitely past his prime otherwise he would never come to the MLS but even at this stage of his career he is still better than your avg MLS striker. His wealth of knowledge and experience can only be beneficial to the players around him. If nothing else Villa can mentor the young strikers on his team. I would say Henry has been a great success for the Red Bulls. I agree with you that the MLS will continue to struggle until they sign good young players and develop them but we are still a few years away from that happening. 

Villa is definitely past his prime otherwise he would never come to the MLS but even at this stage of his career he is still better than your avg MLS striker. His wealth of knowledge and experience can only be beneficial to the players around him. If nothing else Villa can mentor the young strikers on his team. I would say Henry has been a great success for the Red Bulls. I agree with you that the MLS will continue to struggle until they sign good young players and develop them but we are still a few years away from that happening.
MLS has developed a few younger players who then got signed to european clubs, but they by and large move leagues and are a flop. (looking at you Brek Shea). MLS needs to get overall better talent in the league to challenge younger players better so that when they do get that chance to play in a real league they dont flop. My hope with MLS is that in the next 5-10 years there is a flood of young talent (we are just now 20 years from 94 WC when the supposed surge in soccer started, combined with the concussion heavy NFL, mommas not letting boys play football, should be quite a few young americans that will come on the scene) that comes into the league and they get developed to the point that when they do get the chance to play in europe they succeed and become great players. Once that starts to happen the USMT might finally become a top tier team in the world, or should anyways. What other country has the breadth of athletic talent that the us does? Just need more good athletes choosing the sport and I think that starts to change in the next few years.

I don't know... MLS has seen a huge change in the last few years that I never thought it would get.  Look at the Pacific Northwest!  Not to mention we may be getting Older guys on the down part of their career, but they still get the league attention and more people watching as a result.  I also think plenty of players have gone from MLS to Europe and done very well for themselves.  Howard, Keller, Guzan, Reyna, Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, Onyewu, Spector, and Bradley.  No none have set the world on fire but i don't think that is MLS's fault.  Like you said our best athletes choose other sports due to money and popularity.

The biggest issue is getting better athletes to choose Soccer over the other sports.  I have a feeling we will start seeing that with the new concussion problems and with parents allowing less and less kids to play football.  i know that when I have kids I am going to guide them to any sport or activity besides football as this reason.

Overall MLS has grown and came from a place where it looked like the league was about to fail to an actual profitable situation.  But like you said it is about good athletes choosing to play, so that doesn't really fall on MLS.  Besides getting Star Players on their decline that can still show something may be the best chance for kids to want to choose soccer as a result of getting to see them play in person!

Also I just realized something... a lot of the guys I mentioned came as a result of the 94 World Cup and started in MLS to catapult their careers.  You don't see that anymore because European teams are now plucking even more guys before even MLS can get them.  That is a success of MLS and developing said guys I mentioned!

I don't know... MLS has seen a huge change in the last few years that I never thought it would get. Look at the Pacific Northwest! Not to mention we may be getting Older guys on the down part of their career, but they still get the league attention and more people watching as a result. I also think plenty of players have gone from MLS to Europe and done very well for themselves. Howard, Keller, Guzan, Reyna, Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, Onyewu, Spector, and Bradley. No none have set the world on fire but i don't think that is MLS's fault. Like you said our best athletes choose other sports due to money and popularity.

The biggest issue is getting better athletes to choose Soccer over the other sports. I have a feeling we will start seeing that with the new concussion problems and with parents allowing less and less kids to play football. i know that when I have kids I am going to guide them to any sport or activity besides football as this reason.

Overall MLS has grown and came from a place where it looked like the league was about to fail to an actual profitable situation. But like you said it is about good athletes choosing to play, so that doesn't really fall on MLS. Besides getting Star Players on their decline that can still show something may be the best chance for kids to want to choose soccer as a result of getting to see them play in person!
You make lots of good points but I disagree about the MLS (to a greater extent the US Soccer Federation) not being at fault. First, the current youth soccer system places way to much emphasis on winning over player development. Second, a significant portion of youth soccer players play the sport for the opportunity to earn a college scholarship. They have no professional ambitions. Third, the pay to play system is still prominent and it is probably the main reason why soccer hasn't thrived in urban areas. Finally, if elite US athletes aren't choosing the sport then the MLS should look else where to find talented youngsters and develop them.

Caveat on the best athletes argument. In my experience the best athletes do not necessarily make the best soccer players. Soccer is closer to an endurance sports where technical skill plays a greater role than sheer athleticism. That said, Lebron James would make for a hell of a goalie or Revis as a left or right back.

I've made the "best US athletes don't play soccer" argument with my friends for years. Sure jumping high or running fast aren't all it takes and people 6'6" and up will probably still play basketball, but it's nice to dream. I'd love to see CP3 playing a Paul Scholes/Eric Cantona role on the national team. Perhaps Richard Sherman as Gennaro Gattuso?

I mean we talk all day on what other athletes would look like in soccer, but we have no idea.  I think MLS as a product is doing what it can, and the MLS's goals is not to develop youth soccer players, but to succeed as a business in the US market that does not consider soccer in the top 4 or 5 of sports.  When they get players whose names are recognized amongst fans that don't really pay attention to MLS they bring another way of exposing the league.

The Beckham theory isn't great, but it is working with more teams showing up in the league, 80-90% of the league is somewhat profitable, and the outlook on the league is good.  The more success and credibility the league can get, the more players we will see that will show interest for soccer at a young age and will want to continue as they grow up.  I know for a fact when an athlete excels at multiple sports they are going to choose the sport that they see the most success can come from in the quickest and easiest way possible.  

While the average player salary in MLS has been rising (it is a shade over $200k now) the bulk of the money goes to a few players. There are a whole lot of players making less than $100k, which after taxes, agent fees and misc other professional athlete expenses, isn't a lot of money. I'm not sure throwing millions at Bradley and $50k at the 12th man is the best way to grow soccer in the states.

I agree a lot work has been done to improve the league, but save a few exceptions, the quality isn't there consistently. I've tried to struggle through a few games over the years but it's been tough.

While the average player salary in MLS has been rising (it is a shade over $200k now) the bulk of the money goes to a few players. There are a whole lot of players making less than $100k, which after taxes, agent fees and misc other professional athlete expenses, isn't a lot of money. I'm not sure throwing millions at Bradley and $50k at the 12th man is the best way to grow soccer in the states.

I agree a lot work has been done to improve the league, but save a few exceptions, the quality isn't there consistently. I've tried to struggle through a few games over the years but it's been tough.
The key is the Northwest... watch a Sounders/Timbers game, pretty good. But I agree. I know that rookies who don't go through Adidas make something insane like 20K, and most have to get second jobs. If I am good at multiple sports there is no way I go Soccer.

But like I have said, what MLS has done is raise the interest in soccer a bit, helped develop some kids that came as a result of the 94 world cup, and brought the attention of teams overseas to poach kids at a young age. Look at this world cup roster, how many guys bypassed MLS and are now being discovered. I know a lot are products of living overseas, but I still think we can really develop a power by using this method. If we can have another great world cup then we can see the sport overall grow in the states and continue to grow.

Sounders/Timbers have certainly figured it out, at least from a marketing and fan base perspective. I read an article recently which stated that both the Sounders and Timbers would be in the top 10 in attendance if they played in the EPL. The MLS needs to copy their blueprint and apply it to other teams/cities but ultimately they need to figure out how to spend some of that money to acquire world class talent or at least top notch youngsters who can grow and develop in the MLS before striking it big overseas. 

Sounders/Timbers have certainly figured it out, at least from a marketing and fan base perspective. I read an article recently which stated that both the Sounders and Timbers would be in the top 10 in attendance if they played in the EPL. The MLS needs to copy their blueprint and apply it to other teams/cities but ultimately they need to figure out how to spend some of that money to acquire world class talent or at least top notch youngsters who can grow and develop in the MLS before striking it big overseas.
Hey Seattle somewhat did that with Dempsey, I mean he is still in his prime and could have stayed in the EPL but came back. I don't however feel that the MLS has the money to attract a Ronaldo/Messi in their prime

I admit those Seattle Portland games are good. But you can't create that atmosphere everywhere.

Atlanta is getting a team but the stadium location stinks for me. I will go to some games, provided the tickets aren't ridiculous. I'm sure Arthur Blank would love to have that loyal of a fan base. Atlanta is a terrible sports town though (I'm not a native).

Hey Seattle somewhat did that with Dempsey, I mean he is still in his prime and could have stayed in the EPL but came back. I don't however feel that the MLS has the money to attract a Ronaldo/Messi in their prime
Dempsey is on the backend of his career. Aside from Bradley, I can't think of one big name European-based player they've attracted while they were in their prime. Ronaldo or Messi on a free transfer would cost a team $28 million/year AFTER they pay the taxes. That's his current take home. No way does an MLS team have the stomach for that kind of money. Seattle doesn't spend that much in a year in total.

I admit those Seattle Portland games are good. But you can't create that atmosphere everywhere.

Atlanta is getting a team but the stadium location stinks for me. I will go to some games, provided the tickets aren't ridiculous. I'm sure Arthur Blank would love to have that loyal of a fan base. Atlanta is a terrible sports town though (I'm not a native).
FYI, I have looked across the league at tickets, every team only charges around $10-$50 for tickets. i know that for $20 you can go to a Sounders game easily. so that tells you it is actually affordable to go to games.

I don't think the MLS could ever get the very elite players in Europe but they can certainly be selective go after players who have fallen out of favor in Europe, the likes of Pato or Riquelme a few years ago. Ultimately, it all boils down to player development. If we can scout, find young talent and develop them the league will have no choice but to grow.

Dempsey is on the backend of his career. Aside from Bradley, I can't think of one big name European-based player they've attracted while they were in their prime. Ronaldo or Messi on a free transfer would cost a team $28 million/year AFTER they pay the taxes. That's his current take home. No way does an MLS team have the stomach for that kind of money. Seattle doesn't spend that much in a year in total.
Dempsey is not as much on the backend as the other "stars" they have gotten in the past. Those stars came here because they could not get as much money playing in Europe. This wasn't about money for Dempsey as many felt he could have stayed in Europe and was very much wanted. In fact a lot of people think it was a mistake because of his opportunities in Europe. It wasn't like he was failing there either, he was very much productive, it was just the team he was currently on wanted to do some different tactics.

Thats the main issue.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

Starts at 420k and goes up.

http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

Starts right at 400k and goes up.

Baseball

Q: What is the minimum salary of a Major Leaguer?

A: The minimum salary for the 2014 season is $500,000.
Those are MINIMUM salaries.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April%201,%202014%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

Look at that list. Apparently you can see salary for every mls player.

I have never really bothered to look at the numbers because I dont care much about MLS, but wow. No wonder american kids dont choose to play the sport.

Thats the main issue.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

Starts at 420k and goes up.

http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

Starts right at 400k and goes up.

Baseball

Q: What is the minimum salary of a Major Leaguer?

A: The minimum salary for the 2014 season is $500,000.
Those are MINIMUM salaries.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April%201,%202014%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

Look at that list. Apparently you can see salary for every mls player.

I have never really bothered to look at the numbers because I dont care much about MLS, but wow. No wonder american kids dont choose to play the sport.
Actually the minimum Rookie salary is 36,000... almost as bad as a retail or fast food job...

Actually the minimum Rookie salary is 36,000... almost as bad as a retail or fast food job...
Wouldnt go quite there with that, but certainly no worse than you can do at an entry level job straight from college (company I started with at 22 was right at 30k a year in 06).

Yea that min needs to move well past 100k pretty quick. Issue is the TV rights aint worth shit. No one cares to watch MLS on tv.

It's the name game for me. The casual soccer fan has probably heard of David Villa, being the Spanish leader in goals and all. You hear somebody like that is coming to play in your league, then your interest rises.

I didn't start watching the MLS until Beckham came in 2007 and I'm glad I did. I'd now put it very close to the BPL as my favorite leagues in the world. The quality has improved big time since I've started watching it. And we have to result it to the big names as much as the young talent developing...we got more big names when Thierry Henry came over, Tim Cahill came over, Robbie Keane came over, so on and so forth. Keane was 30 at the time, Henry, Cahill, and Beckham were 32 and all were at points were they were still serviceable to European clubs. It's not like they hit a wall at 35-36 and then came for a paycheck.

Villa is in that same age group at 32. He was an important piece to Atletico Madrid's success this year. For him to leave now earns respect from me. He now has a chance to be a part of something big with NYCFC's inaugural season. Similar to Beckham when he came over to give the MLS a boost. I'm proof that his move was effective as he made me an MLS fan to which my love for the league has increased year after year. It excites me as a fan of the league because Villa coming over could do the same for others. That's where my excitement comes from.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but who are the young US talents being developed in MLS? Who are the young guys I should be looking out for to make a European move or will be a part of the 2018 squad? I really don't know because I don't follow the league.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but who are the young US talents being developed in MLS? Who are the young guys I should be looking out for to make a European move or will be a part of the 2018 squad? I really don't know because I don't follow the league.
That's not an ass move at all. In fact, I love talking about the MLS. I work with soccer fans who hate the league so my goal is to get them into it lol. Not specifically talking young Americans but youth in general when I made my comment.

However, since you're interested in American youth, I'd have to say Diego Fagundez from the Revolution and Luis Gil (who's already made a senior team USA cap) from Real Salt Lake top the list in my opinion of guys likely to make European moves and WC 2018. They're 19 and 20, respectively, and a blast to watch.

If we're talking good youth that will probably stay in the league for a few more years the list is endless. Deshorn Brown (Jamaican) and Dillon Powers came out of nowhere last year and killed it during their rookie seasons. Powers actually won Rookie of the Year over Brown haha. Definitely two guys to check out. They've made the Rapids a fun team to watch. Gyazi Zardes at LA is a nice young talent. My personal favorite young MLS talent is Jose Villarreal, also from the Galaxy, but he's on loan in Liga MX right now.

I'm getting pretty excited for the WC, despite the US having no chance of advancing this time with the group of death draw. I don't really like the move of leaving Donovan off the roster. Only hurts their slim chances, and whichever younger player made it instead of him will probably play little if any so not much experience gain. But he did mostly do it to himself with the sabbatical from qualifying etc., so it's a little hard to feel bad for him.

Lampard will be joining Villa at NYCFC.
Sucks he didnt end career at CFC with epl title, but guy holds the record for goals, won cl, europa, couple FA, couple epl titles, and pretty sure a league cup, plus a community shield.

Legend....wait for it.....dary.

Lampard will be joining Villa at NYCFC.
This I like to hear. I feel a move like this, although we've been over this recently so I apologize for sounding like a broken record, will help our league draw interest from around the world or in this case, England mainly. I like it a lot and can't wait to see how they fill that roster out.

On another note, Mexico looked good despite losing Luis Montes and Rafa Marquez to injuries.

Interesting game from the US. Some things that I am thinking now.

1. John Brooks has potential. After the Ukraine game, I didn't want to see his name on the roster until after the World Cup. Klinsmann knows best.

2. Brad Davis should not start out left, but I did not feel any better when Julian Green was there.

3. Jozy Altidore is gonna get a lot of heat from people, but truth is he was our best player today. He played with tons of effort, made nice passes, and used his strength and size to put a lot of pressure on the Turkey back four. He just can't buy a goal right now.

One more game (and a scrimmage) left for Klinsmann to make his adjustments.

I liked what I saw from the midfield, excluding the left side. In fact, the whole left side of the formation was maddening. Chandler was turrible in the second half (didn't catch most of the first).

What doy ou all think about our german Coach?  I've been impressed with him, but I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Klinsmann is good coach who will do great things for us but I don't think it will happen this World Cup. 

Today's game was very entertaining. We looked good going forward but the defense was a bit shaky. Fabian Johnson was excellent today. His one timer was a thing of beauty. Brooks showed great potential and settled in nicely after a bit of jitters. I like the idea of him and Cameron playing together. The left side of the defense continues to be our achilles heels. Besler again had a shaky game. If this was a regular game he would have been sent off for that late challenge. Chandler continues to be an enigma. One minute he shows great pace and instincts and the next he looks absolutely lost. His lack of concentration will cost us dearly at the World Cup.  

I am looking forward to the Nigeria game. 

EDIT: Germany drew 2-2 with Cameroon.

bread's done
Back