Fighting Game Thread 9 - Wu-Tang Edition

You could put such a cool story mode in fighting games, but I suppose it's not worth the effort these days.

I mean, Blazblue's is "good" in the sense that there's barely anything to compare it to.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']You're doing it wrong.

ReRo's picks
Old School: Irritating Stick
New School: Enviro-bear 2010
Fighter: Tekken Wireless Lag Challenge[/QUOTE]

close ^_^

so here's my try at it...

Old School: Kirby 2
New School: Rez
Fighter: Tekken 3

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']close ^_^

so here's my try at it...

Old School: Kirby 2
New School: Rez
Fighter: Tekken 3[/QUOTE]

Catan?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']You didn't leave a category for Online game... >_< not my fault.[/QUOTE]

I was just seeing if you wanted to play.

wow I didn't think The Mana Knight would be that terrible at fighting games lol

Anyone can claim to be a gamer, but once you say you're into fighters you're in some new territory buddy ;)

*spams FA for no reason*

Ok, every single person I run into online in BBCS can do at least one BnB with no problem, usually the same one over and over even if it doesn't work. Is there a way to tell if somebody is using beginner mode? This just seems really odd for online mode for a fighter.

EDIT: Yes, I am talking about Ranked, they allow you to use beginner mode in RANKED! WTF Arc

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='distgfx']Ok, every single person I run into online in BBCS can do at least one BnB with no problem, usually the same one over and over even if it doesn't work. Is there a way to tell if somebody is using beginner mode? This just seems really odd for online mode for a fighter.

EDIT: Yes, I am talking about Ranked, they allow you to use beginner mode in RANKED! WTF Arc[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Besides that there is a lot of cheap players with Iron-Tagar. Doing the same annoying shit over and over.

[quote name='jman619']Tell me about it. Besides that there is a lot of cheap players with Iron-Tagar. Doing the same annoying shit over and over.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but if they are doing the "same annoying shit" over and over (and getting away with it) that says zero about their play and more about yours.

Annoying shit over and over that isn't being stopped or at least halted in a matchup is free damage and a free win. At a tournament if I keep doing the same mixups and setups, seeing that the other person keeps falling for it, why would I stop doing it? Because some sort of Karate Kid like "honor" that some casuals seem to have with fighting games? Cheap doesn't exist. Learn the properties of normals/specials and learn the matchup.

Honestly, the word cheap describes to me low-level play, as high-level play, there are difficult moments, but players will overcome disadvantages.

Tager is low tier. He has a hard time getting in (which is how he mostly works) and get's zoned out by most of the cast. Who are you playing in Blazblue that you have a hard time zoning out Tager?

What distfx is talking about (players having a way to throw out BnB's without really knowing how to do them) and what you are talking about are two different things.

[quote name='asianxcore']No offense, but if they are doing the "same annoying shit" over and over (and getting away with it) that says zero about their play and more about yours.

Annoying shit over and over that isn't being stopped or at least halted in a matchup is free damage and a free win. At a tournament if I keep doing the same mixups and setups, seeing that the other person keeps falling for it, why would I stop doing it? Because some sort of Karate Kid like "honor" that some casuals seem to have with fighting games? Cheap doesn't exist. Learn the properties of normals/specials and learn the matchup.

Honestly, the word cheap describes to me low-level play, as high-level play, there are difficult moments, but players will overcome disadvantages.

Tager is low tier. He has a hard time getting in (which is how he mostly works) and get's zoned out by most of the cast. Who are you playing in Blazblue that you have a hard time zoning out Tager?

What distfx is talking about (players having a way to throw out BnB's without really knowing how to do them) and what you are talking about are two different things.[/QUOTE]

Cheap exist to me. If you play mvc2 and spam the assist to death. That's extremely cheap. That has nothing to do with this. I was just saying. I was playing random people in ranked matches. I'm not the best at blazblue,but I played Blazblue CT about a month ago and did fine. Then I pick up CS and get pwned for the most part. All I'm saying is even the higher ranked people in CT never did beat me to this point and didn't run into as many people that spammed the same move over and over.

[quote name='jman619']Cheap exist to me. If you play mvc2 and spam the assist to death. That's extremely cheap. That has nothing to do with this. I was just saying. I was playing random people in ranked matches. I'm not the best at blazblue,but I played Blazblue CT about a month ago and did fine. Then I pick up CS and get pwned for the most part. All I'm saying is even the higher ranked people in CT never did beat me to this point.[/QUOTE]

I disagree completely, particularly about your MvC2 point. It is the way the game is played. Some stuff can be extremely annoying, but you have to learn how to beat it. You can't just sit there, call it cheap, and not level up your game to be able to stop it.

I can't speak about Blazblue so much, but if you are losing to a person constantly spamming assist, make them pay for it. AHVB them, mini-sent. them, do whatever but beat up on their assist (and force the toon they are controlling to block). Assists are great, but they are another tool that needs to be used properly.

Speaking of MvC2, I've been using Colossus AA assist and Juggernaut Dash assist lately and loving it. It isn't as good as CapCom, Cyclops or Psylocke, but damn... "LOOKIT DA DAMAGE"

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I disagree completely, particularly about your MvC2 point. It is the way the game is played. Some stuff can be extremely annoying, but you have to learn how to beat it. You can't just sit there, call it cheap, and not level up your game to be able to stop it.

I can't speak about Blazblue so much, but if you are losing to a person constantly spamming assist, make them pay for it. AHVB them, mini-sent. them, do whatever but beat up on their assist (and force the toon they are controlling to block). Assists are great, but they are another tool that needs to be used properly.

Speaking of MvC2, I've been using Colossus AA assist and Juggernaut Dash assist lately and loving it. It isn't as good as CapCom, Cyclops or Psylocke, but damn... "LOOKIT DA DAMAGE"[/QUOTE]

I can beat most spam,but I do find it annoying and cheap if they use it straight. Assist is fine,but I think sending them 70+ times a match is a bit much. I use to play a guy that did that. He rarely ever won. He just sent out assist over and over.

[quote name='jman619']I can beat most spam,but I do find it annoying and cheap if they use it straight. Assist is fine,but I think sending them 70+ times a match is a bit much. I use to play a guy that did that. He rarely ever won. He just sent out assist over and over.[/QUOTE]

Then what's the problem?

[quote name='jman619']Cheap exist to me. If you play mvc2 and spam the assist to death. That's extremely cheap. That has nothing to do with this. I was just saying. I was playing random people in ranked matches. I'm not the best at blazblue,but I played Blazblue CT about a month ago and did fine. Then I pick up CS and get pwned for the most part. All I'm saying is even the higher ranked people in CT never did beat me to this point and didn't run into as many people that spammed the same move over and over.[/QUOTE]

Using that example of MVC2 "Assist Spam" as your definition of cheap is hilarious.

Jim mentioned it a little more in detail, but Spam Assisting is idiotic. Calling out assists without a strategy or calling out an assist in MVC2 without a way to protect your assist is pretty stupid.

I also have a friend who throws out Assists randomly. Every single time he does it, he gets AHVB and loses a shit ton of damage on that Assist Character and more if his main got tagged with it too. He gets careless with his Assists once and I know he will do it again, so I wait for it, and sure enough the habit follows and I kill two characters.

Learn the matchups and the player or don't play at all. Everyone has habits when they play low or high level in Fighting Games. Shit, I took a match against Vangief in a tournament, then he read my habits. Instead of adapting to it, I went ahead and let my habits make it even easier for Vangief to beat me. Did I call Gief's Stun Head Butt on Seth cheap? No, because I know about it and instead of using it to my advantage and baiting it I caused the problem for myself.

A good friend of mine who lives locally plays fighting games. His problem is any time he cannot adapt, he calls things "cheap". When he runs into something he can't find an immediate solution for, or if he falls for setups, or anything like that, it's "cheap". He called Team Clockw0rk "cheap", because he kept getting caught in the Doom Rocks/Strider Trap. Problem is I play an extremely ghetto version of that team and would catch him trying to mash out or not block low. "Cheap"? No....he just wasn't playing with his head.

In terms of Blazblue: CS, the game isn't new. Just because you bought it, doesn't mean it just came out. The game has been tweaked in terms of balance and everyone has had CT long enough to start learning CS. Hell, all the big arcades in my area have CS running, so players (whether Novice or Pro) have had time to accustom themselves with new characters, new strategies, character buffs/nerfs and so on. Hasn't CS been out in arcades 4-5 months before this console release? Give SOME people credit. People do get better when they play a bunch or learn from others. Just because a person isn't beasting anymore against randoms, doesn't mean people are being "cheap". Everyone is just adapting. Hop in.

Give me a better example of this "cheap" you speak of and I'll turn off. So far that MVC2 "Assist Spam" is just someone playing careless and stupid. Easy to punish that shit with your eyes closed.

[quote name='asianxcore']Using that example of MVC2 "Assist Spam" as your definition of cheap is hilarious.

Jim mentioned it a little more in detail, but Spam Assisting is idiotic. Calling out assists without a strategy or calling out an assist in MVC2 without a way to protect your assist is pretty stupid.

I also have a friend who throws out Assists randomly. Every single time he does it, he gets AHVB and loses a shit ton of damage on that Assist Character and more if his main got tagged with it too. He gets careless with his Assists once and I know he will do it again, so I wait for it, and sure enough the habit follows and I kill two characters.

Learn the matchups and the player or don't play at all. Everyone has habits when they play low or high level in Fighting Games. Shit, I took a match against Vangief in a tournament, then he read my habits. Instead of adapting to it, I went ahead and let my habits make it even easier for Vangief to beat me. Did I call Gief's Stun Head Butt on Seth cheap? No, because I know about it and instead of using it to my advantage and baiting it I caused the problem for myself.

A good friend of mine who lives locally plays fighting games. His problem is any time he cannot adapt, he calls things "cheap". When he runs into something he can't find an immediate solution for, or if he falls for setups, or anything like that, it's "cheap". He called Team Clockw0rk "cheap", because he kept getting caught in the Doom Rocks/Strider Trap. Problem is I play an extremely ghetto version of that team and would catch him trying to mash out or not block low. "Cheap"? No....he just wasn't playing with his head.

In terms of Blazblue: CS, the game isn't new. Just because you bought it, doesn't mean it just came out. The game has been tweaked in terms of balance and everyone has had CT long enough to start learning CS. Hell, all the big arcades in my area have CS running, so players (whether Novice or Pro) have had time to accustom themselves with new characters, new strategies, character buffs/nerfs and so on. Hasn't CS been out in arcades 4-5 months before this console release? Give SOME people credit. People do get better when they play a bunch or learn from others. Just because a person isn't beasting anymore against randoms, doesn't mean people are being "cheap". Everyone is just adapting. Hop in.

Give me a better example of this "cheap" you speak of and I'll turn off. So far that MVC2 "Assist Spam" is just someone playing careless and stupid. Easy to punish that shit with your eyes closed.[/QUOTE]

You win... No really you win. I think that is the worst ass beating I've ever got at ssfiv. :lol: I would go on record and say he is the best I've played from cag so far.

[quote name='jman619']You win... No really you win. I think that is the worst ass beating I've ever got at ssfiv. :lol: I would go on record and say he is the best I've played from cag so far.[/QUOTE]

Again, I go on record on saying that Option is better hahaha. He's 5x more patient than I am, easily.

I honestly think the ass beating came from the unfamiliarity with the matchup (as Seth is a weird/hard matchup if you don't know it). Once you get the matchup down solid, it'll be a lot harder for me I assure you.

Also according to the Japanese Tier Lists, Cody owns Seth in that matchup 6-4. One of my friends mains Cody and I can confirm that shit is hard for Seth is Cody plays it right. Cody has a Normal AA for almost all of Seth's jump-ins and can pretty much Turtle, Block correctly and win. Seth pretty much has to play Ultra Aggressive in that matchup. It's annoying :)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']You can't just sit there, call it cheap, and not level up your game to be able to stop it.
[/QUOTE]

I hate it when people do this. but when they do it about life, it's even worse! Philosophy Gaming Thread! PGT!

I picked up BBCS...but I just can't get into the game at all. The long long rounds, the controls, weird specials, gatling combos, the constant animu chattering by the characters throughout the match...all things I didn't like in CT, but that I totally forgot about. SSFIV has spoiled me. Not to mention that BlazBlue Accent Continuum Smiling Climax Plus Zero For Matching Service will be out next year, with one new palette swap and slight animation frame adjustments to character taunts as the only changes. ASW are crooks like that.

[quote name='asianxcore']Again, I go on record on saying that Option is better hahaha. He's 5x more patient than I am, easily.

I honestly think the ass beating came from the unfamiliarity with the matchup (as Seth is a weird/hard matchup if you don't know it). Once you get the matchup down solid, it'll be a lot harder for me I assure you.

Also according to the Japanese Tier Lists, Cody owns Seth in that matchup 6-4. One of my friends mains Cody and I can confirm that shit is hard for Seth is Cody plays it right. Cody has a Normal AA for almost all of Seth's jump-ins and can pretty much Turtle, Block correctly and win. Seth pretty much has to play Ultra Aggressive in that matchup. It's annoying :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not use to Seth or your style,but I'm not going to complain. I took my ass beating like a man. ;)

[quote name='asianxcore']Hasn't CS been out in arcades 4-5 months before this console release?[/QUOTE]

This makes me cry, I wish it could just be released on console and in arcades simultaneously so everybody starts out with the same experience for BBCS. I know the delay is to please those damned arcade owners, but it doesn't please me. I have A LOT of catching up to do. :cry:

Oh, I don't believe in the word "cheap" when it comes to fighters. I do like calling people evil or say "Ooooh, that's mean" though when they do something that keeps working. It's all in good fun though, I don't actually mean it. Sometimes people will even get the occasional "Ok, I liked that," kind of like how Chris Hu says "I respek 'dat."

Anyway, back to my original question, is there a way to tell if somebody's using beginner mode? It's just annoying when I work my but off to get in and do damaging combos with hard execution, then they eventually get a hit in and mash to get a combo of similar damage. I wouldn't be complaining if they didn't allow this in RANKED! I'm just curious though, knowing somebody's using beginner mode from the start would make it easier for me! >=D

[quote name='panzerfaust']Low level players scare me a lot more then high level ones. I just can't predict that shit.[/QUOTE]

Only in SSFIV, the game's so stupid, but I can't put it down. It's like crack, I always keep coming back for more. The Ultra mechanic makes for some stupid comebacks when you're the one kicking ass. You're beating their ass silly, then all of a sudden they mash out an ultra (maybe during a block string?) and all of a sudden take off as much life as you just did. Oh, how about auto-block? Hey guys! Let's put in auto-block and give everybody the ability to mash out SRK while blocking! Option select crouch tech? Sure, why not, let's give them zero risk while you take all of the risk while trying to throw. They can't lose! The reversal window is ridiculous too, I mean, wtf?! It's like... the gap between a scrub and pro are so small. Even a scrub can take out a high level player! Try any of this shit in any other fighter and see what happens. I realize Ono wanted to design the game so scrubs can beat high level players, but he added so much stupid shit it's ridiculous! Let's just call it Super Scrub Auto-Block Reversal Fighter IV Ultra Mashing Edition.

Everybody should go to playing Tekken, 3s on GGPO, BlazBlue, etc.

it also leaked for PC around the arcade release.

this beginner mode stuff is sounding a whole lot like EO mode all over again. but you could see your opponent go EO at least....and CVS2 was the first online fighter. Sad ASW, sad.

[quote name='asianxcore']Again, I go on record on saying that Option is better hahaha. He's 5x more patient than I am, easily.

Also according to the Japanese Tier Lists, Cody owns Seth in that matchup 6-4. One of my friends mains Cody and I can confirm that shit is hard for Seth is Cody plays it right. Cody has a Normal AA for almost all of Seth's jump-ins and can pretty much Turtle, Block correctly and win. Seth pretty much has to play Ultra Aggressive in that matchup. It's annoying :)[/QUOTE]

I do wish we was on the same coast. Sometimes the button delay doesn't feel right. Where its yellow or orange.

[quote name='ninja dog']it also leaked for PC around the arcade release. [/QUOTE]

Shh! Aksys is watching! Doesn't matter though, some people don't have any local competition. I don't know if there's any around me, I didn't really look. So me being behind is 100% my fault. =P

Props to jman619 for not acting like a dumbass and just hating on us calling us elitists etc...

We gotta get some games of MvC2, UMK3, MK2, SSF4 etc going soon. I haven't played with any of you in forever.

Only in SSFIV, the game's so stupid, but I can't put it down. It's like crack, I always keep coming back for more. The Ultra mechanic makes for some stupid comebacks when you're the one kicking ass. You're beating their ass silly, then all of a sudden they mash out an ultra (maybe during a block string?) and all of a sudden take off as much life as you just did. Oh, how about auto-block? Hey guys! Let's put in auto-block and give everybody the ability to mash out SRK while blocking! Option select crouch tech? Sure, why not, let's give them zero risk while you take all of the risk while trying to throw. They can't lose! The reversal window is ridiculous too, I mean, wtf?! It's like... the gap between a scrub and pro are so small. Even a scrub can take out a high level player! Try any of this shit in any other fighter and see what happens. I realize Ono wanted to design the game so scrubs can beat high level players, but he added so much stupid shit it's ridiculous! Let's just call it Super Scrub Auto-Block Reversal Fighter IV Ultra Mashing Edition.

Everybody should go to playing Tekken, 3s on GGPO, BlazBlue, etc.
Understandable complaints, but it still does come to down my own faults.

Facing bad players in SSF4 just isn't fun though. You would think "oh boy, i get to practice my links and maybe some riskier, newly thought out tactics" -- but instead you need to switch your brain off and let them come to you all match, because you might just throw away the win if you don't.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't literally amount to wasting 3-4 minutes of my time for each awful player that joins my game. I mean we were all scrubs at one point but you can totally tell these people aren't even trying to legitimately improve their game. Facing people who seriously want to get better is actually enjoyable IMO.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Understandable complaints, but it still does come to down my own faults.

Facing bad players in SSF4 just isn't fun though. You would think "oh boy, i get to practice my links and maybe some riskier, newly thought out tactics" -- but instead you need to switch your brain off and let them come to you all match, because you might just throw away the win if you don't.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't literally amount to wasting 3-4 minutes of my time for each awful player that joins my game. I mean we were all scrubs at one point but you can totally tell these people aren't even trying to legitimately improve their game. Facing people who seriously want to get better is actually enjoyable IMO.[/QUOTE]

I understand your complaints, ugh, flowcharting. SHORYUKEN! *throws them* SHORYUKEN! *throws them* SHORYUKEN! *throws* EX SHORYUKEN! *throws* ... *they briefly pause then jump in HK* SHORYUKEN! *throws*

Repeat this for about 10 matches at the least, until you finally get somebody decent. My little rant was just for fun.

[quote name='asianxcore']
Hasn't CS been out in arcades 4-5 months before this console release? [/QUOTE]

It's been out for 9 months and the leak has been out for 6. I know NY got ours in late Dec, and I was told socal started to see them right before the leak. So plenty of people have been playing for some time.

[quote name='jman619']I do wish we was on the same coast. Sometimes the button delay doesn't feel right. Where its yellow or orange.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It was feeling a little off when we played. I sent you a FR on PSN regardless.

GG's to Jman, OptionIV and Esper tonight. That session went longer than thought.

Sorry I don't really know how to play anyone else other than Seth. Abel used to be my Main in SFIV and my Alternate in SSFIV, but I haven't played him in so long he feels boring to me now compared to Seth.

OptionIV, I was waiting for you to pick Sim and body me haha

Esper, the last U1 you hit me with doesn't need apologies. If you saw, I messed up and threw out cr.hp. I deserved to be hit with that.

Also I can (and will be) completely random, so Seth is more my playstyle.

I LOVE the AsusVH236H. I was hitting most of my links/combos that I normally never try online because I know I'll miss them so it's not worth it. It was nice finally playing Seth against fellow CAG FGT, the way I normally play him offline.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']What happened? I just got home from grinding 3 girls all night and have no idea what's going on?[/QUOTE]

s14-drugs-are-good.jpg

[quote name='asianxcore']I LOVE the AsusVH236H. I was hitting most of my links/combos that I normally never try online because I know I'll miss them so it's not worth it. It was nice finally playing Seth against fellow CAG FGT, the way I normally play him offline.[/QUOTE]

What were you playing on before? Looking specifically for the brand name of whatever you were playing on.

GGs to jman, option, and axc.

Axc, those dive kicks left me mindfucked. I couldn't tell whether it was gonna cross me up to your bnb setup, or go to tick throw/360.

Esper, the last U1 you hit me with doesn't need apologies. If you saw, I messed up and threw out cr.hp. I deserved to be hit with that.

My brain froze after the burning kick bait. I thought seth's recovery time on ultra 1 was slow, so I just threw a naked ultra upon landing. And I guessed wrong
just like the ryu mirror, I can't believe I threw out hp srk on a random guess near the end of the match. I got punished badly for it. I'm still thinking about that mistake, lol.
;fortunately, I got lucky with the ultra when it connected during your cr.hp animation.

edit - lol @ the commentator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5R_n4MUsxE

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Thanks man it took me like 6 hours to do.[/QUOTE]

if that's true this took me 5 min to do...

bestbayonettafanarteva.jpg

and this took me 1 min...

akuma.jpg

A little late but....

Old School: Super Mario World (SNES) or Zelda: A Link to the Past
New School: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fighter: Super Turbo

[quote name='distgfx']
Anyway, back to my original question, is there a way to tell if somebody's using beginner mode?
.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can tell on the character select screen since it's blind pick in ranked, but if you look where the burst icons are under the character portrait, there's like a green shield. You can tell if they're about to do a disortion/astral because a bar comes up next to the shield. Beginner mode is pretty comical to play but I don't think it should be in ranked at all.

-----

What's with all this Tager "cheap" talk? As someone who plays him I agree he's probably one of the worst characters in the game and can get shut down pretty easily by a lot of the cast. Most of his pokes do suck, but he can be very deadly up close. However, I will say he does have quite a few ways to troll people pretty hard :lol:.

[quote name='panzerfaust']

It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't literally amount to wasting 3-4 minutes of my time for each awful player that joins my game. I mean we were all scrubs at one point but you can totally tell these people aren't even trying to legitimately improve their game. Facing people who seriously want to get better is actually enjoyable IMO.[/QUOTE]
I have a friend like that. It's frustrating because he'll do some of the most retarded stuff (ie: throw 3 cr.HKs IN A ROW) and it'll work from time to time because why the hell would anyone do something stupid like that? God forbid I try out new things to see what works/doesn't and lose the match because then he's like "OMG, U SUCK! I'M SO GOOD, LOLZ!"

I try to provide suggestions of things he could improve and he just doesn't want to listen. Some people just don't want to learn :roll:

bread's done
Back