Final Fantasy VII (PC DD) w/ Achievements, Character Booster, Cloud Saves for $9.99

[quote name='Nintendonly']Newsflash: fans who work on games owned by corporations are fucking morons. If you don't want your work being hijacked without you seeing a dime, work for the company instead.[/QUOTE]

Jobless fellow who is good with programming: Hey! Gimme a job please!

Big gaming corporation: No.

Care to explain how it's that easy to just "work for the company instead?"

[quote name='Vulgarism']Jobless fellow who is good with programming: Hey! Gimme a job please!

Big gaming corporation: No.

Care to explain how it's that easy to just "work for the company instead?"[/QUOTE]

I'll finish my point: or don't bother wasting your time.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Newsflash: fans who work on games owned by corporations are fucking morons. If you don't want your work being hijacked without you seeing a dime, work for the company instead.

EDIT: or don't bother wasting your time.[/QUOTE]
Fans make these patches because they love the game. It still doesn't give Square any right to just hijack the patch and not give any credit to who made the patch. I mean yeah it's good that the game does contain the fan patch but to at least not recognize your own fans who put their free time in to making your game better because your too lazy to fix shit is kinda a morally wrong choice.

Meh - I'm waiting for PSOne support on Vita. I'd rather play it portable. I have almost zero interest in playing this on pc.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I'll finish my point: or don't bother wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

As a former modder of some F1 games I will say this: It's not a waste of time, people that work on mods and updates do so out of love for the game. They also benefit of having a better product in the end.

Most modders don't work for money because selling their updates would be illegal due to infringing the copyright of the game. In the previously mentioned situations Square has behaved very poorly as they make a financial gain off the modders' work.

[quote name='jer7583']Meh - I'm waiting for PSOne support on Vita. I'd rather play it portable. I have almost zero interest in playing this on pc.[/QUOTE]

Me too man..I don't get wth is taking them so long.

[quote name='blueshinra']Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

I'd say they're well aware of the FFVII/FFVIII modding scene...[/QUOTE]
The best examples of this being handled well are Gary's Mod and DotA. Both mods were acknowledged by the original game creator and they gave credit where it's due. Look at Saints Row 2.... That game is a steaming pile without fan-made mods to make it even run right. If someone modded my game to make it smoother or run better you bet your ass I'd be giving them credit (and probably looking at hiring the guy over my current inept employees)

[quote name='Guimengo']As a former modder of some F1 games I will say this: It's not a waste of time, people that work on mods and updates do so out of love for the game. They also benefit of having a better product in the end.

Most modders don't work for money because selling their updates would be illegal due to infringing the copyright of the game. In the previously mentioned situations Square has behaved very poorly as they make a financial gain off the modders' work.[/QUOTE]
I am sure some modders wouldn't mind if their name was included in the game if Square did decide to use it for money. I mean fans make fan patches because they love the game but want it to be better because the previous people didn't fix shit with the game like SR2.

I guess Square can legally not give credit because there is probably some clause stating that they can, but come on. How you can sleep at night knowing that your passing someone's else work as your own without giving credit.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am sure some modders wouldn't mind if their name was included in the game if Square did decide to use it for money. I mean fans make fan patches because they love the game but want it to be better because the previous people didn't fix shit with the game like SR2.

I guess Square can legally not give credit because there is probably some clause stating that they can, but come on. How you can sleep at night knowing that your passing someone's else work as your own without giving credit.[/QUOTE]
Microsoft has been doing this for years.... And Sony has every legal right to claim it as their own work because technically the modding community breaks the agreement that comes with buying a copy of their game. However, that doesn't morally make it the right thing to do.

[quote name='Woocls']The best examples of this being handled well are Gary's Mod and DotA. Both mods were acknowledged by the original game creator and they gave credit where it's due. Look at Saints Row 2.... That game is a steaming pile without fan-made mods to make it even run right. If someone modded my game to make it smoother or run better you bet your ass I'd be giving them credit (and probably looking at hiring the guy over my current inept employees)[/QUOTE]
I think the deal is that companies that primarily develop (or at least heavily develop) for PC have a greater tendency to get it. In addition to Garry's Mod and DotA, there's been Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Portal: the Flash Version, so many Unreal mods like Red Orchestra, and so on. Respect toward and support for the fans who make mods, maps, patches, etc. just seems to be more ingrained in PC developer culture.

[quote name='blueshinra']Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

I'd say they're well aware of the FFVII/FFVIII modding scene...[/QUOTE]

With that said back to my original point, if they are aware of it and are using it for their own devices, then what purpose would it serve to stop the fan mod if it fixes their broken, glitchy version. So again my point they wouldn't stop the mods since as you put it they blatantly steal (and package) them anyway to fix their product.

I've owned the game since release on PC, and yes it was a freakin' broken nightmare to get running, I still have my original correspondence letter from Eidos on how to fix the issue with Direct Show and the movies crashing, which was super fun back in the day when I couldn't play after putting in 40+ hours at that point in the game. Been meaning to try some of these fan mods personally, but after 300+ hours playing the game, I really don't care to mess with it anymore.

[quote name='Komentra']PC only. Going to have to install a boot camp partition for this on my Mac but it should be worth it. I can't wait. :D[/QUOTE]

People can't even get it to work on the PC yet so good luck getting it to work on a Mac. :p

[quote name='uncle5555']With that said back to my original point, if they are aware of it and are using it for their own devices, then what purpose would it serve to stop the fan mod if it fixes their broken, glitchy version. So again my point they wouldn't stop the mods since as you put it they blatantly steal (and package) them anyway to fix their product.
[/QUOTE]

That assumes that they are sane and reasonable and know what the hell they are doing. Nothing about this botched release and two subsequent botched re-attempts at release convinces me of this.

[quote name='Motoki']People can't even get it to work on the PC yet so good luck getting it to work on a Mac. :p[/QUOTE]
Boot Camp'd Windows runs just as well as Windows running on a plain old PC (I run Boot Camp on my Mac workstation, mainly for gaming, and owned a Dell previously), so the experience should be just as bad, not worse :p

[quote name='uncle5555']I've owned the game since release on PC, and yes it was a freakin' broken nightmare to get running, I still have my original correspondence letter from Eidos on how to fix the issue with Direct Show and the movies crashing, which was super fun back in the day when I couldn't play after putting in 40+ hours at that point in the game. Been meaning to try some of these fan mods personally, but after 300+ hours playing the game, I really don't care to mess with it anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yes the original was very buggy. The most important thing about using the original game is to use the third-party OpenGL plugin that is available (0.7.11b is, I believe, the latest), not the 'stock' graphics plugin.

[quote name='dandragonrage']Yes the original was very buggy. The most important thing about using the original game is to use the third-party OpenGL plugin that is available (0.7.11b is, I believe, the latest), not the 'stock' graphics plugin.[/QUOTE]

Two things about that, one when I played it, it was on a Voodoo card, so I didn't have any issues playing it with the native 3D FX driver (which was pretty quick in my newer computer btw, and I still own that card, if I ever need to use it for older non-direct x titles.

One other thing, I always here gripes about the music, the game came with sound font bank files for Awe 32/64 which made the music better than the PS1 version if you can believe that. Sure it was a (again) bit of a hassle to get running and setup, but it made the music very high quality and very enjoyable for those 300 hours in my various playthroughs.

[quote name='Yeloazndevil']lol I still own that too got it for $14.99 at Best Buy in 1998[/QUOTE]

ahh, i got mine on ebay about 7 years ago or so. First time i played FF7 was on my PC

[quote name='Yeloazndevil']I still don't remember why I bought it in 1998 I did own it on PSX[/QUOTE]

probably because you saw the amazingly awesome box

[quote name='uncle5555']With that said back to my original point, if they are aware of it and are using it for their own devices, then what purpose would it serve to stop the fan mod if it fixes their broken, glitchy version. So again my point they wouldn't stop the mods since as you put it they blatantly steal (and package) them anyway to fix their product.

I've owned the game since release on PC, and yes it was a freakin' broken nightmare to get running, I still have my original correspondence letter from Eidos on how to fix the issue with Direct Show and the movies crashing, which was super fun back in the day when I couldn't play after putting in 40+ hours at that point in the game. Been meaning to try some of these fan mods personally, but after 300+ hours playing the game, I really don't care to mess with it anymore.[/QUOTE]

I got the game in '98 from EB and never had ANY issues with it on two different computers - both of which were super low end. When I tried to run it on XP is when I had problems, it worked perfectly on 95 and 98.

I still have mine also. Got it at a everything is a dollar type store. Wish I would have bought more than one. I only bought one because my computer couldn't even run it at the time so it sat in a closet forgotten about for about 5 years.

[quote name='uncle5555']Two things about that, one when I played it, it was on a Voodoo card, so I didn't have any issues playing it with the native 3D FX driver (which was pretty quick in my newer computer btw, and I still own that card, if I ever need to use it for older non-direct x titles.

One other thing, I always here gripes about the music, the game came with sound font bank files for Awe 32/64 which made the music better than the PS1 version if you can believe that. Sure it was a (again) bit of a hassle to get running and setup, but it made the music very high quality and very enjoyable for those 300 hours in my various playthroughs.[/QUOTE]

Yes those AWE cards were nice back in the day. Of course today there is the "FF7Music" mod and several "remastered" versions of the soundtrack available, which is extra useful because just about nobody will have good MIDI support here. Windows dropped much of its support for that stuff after XP, too.

P.S. my favorite old school sound card: Gravis Ultrasound. AMD-based! Picky but awesome when working correctly...

[quote name='apolloimburning']https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

Available now on the EU store.[/QUOTE]

Good luck. If someone is brave enough to take the plunge I suppose post your experiences here.

At least the Europeans will probably be happy that it's not Steam since they seem to always scream bloody murder and get the pitchforks out when a game is released with Steamworks while happily supporting the likes of Tages and Securom with limited activations.

[quote name='spacebooger']It's up on the NA store and $2 off so the price is $9.99.
Who is brave enough to buy it first?[/QUOTE]
someone needs to and report back with results.

[quote name='spacebooger']It's up on the NA store and $2 off so the price is $9.99.
Who is brave enough to buy it first?[/QUOTE]

I was planning on buying it but I am at work. Im sure someone will have bought it by the time I come back.

Squeenix Board meeting:

"Gentlemen, he hosed ourselves with our botched pre-launch and have generated tons upon tons of negative PR with that and the newly embedded DRM. How to we fix that?"

"Why don't we ignore consumer feedback and just drop the price by $2 for a few days?"

"BRILLIANT! You get promoted."

Well I bought it and the downloader keeps pausing it self and has been stuck at 15% for about 15 minutes. :\ I click resume and it goes back to pause in 10 seconds or so. 365.55 / 2372.28 MB

I stopped it and restarted from the beginning and it gets back to that points again and stalls.

The progress bar for the download fills up as if there is only 365.55. Well this time it stopped at 369.55 so the second time I got another 4 MB before it stopped.

Looks like a lot of people are having the problem.
http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29315017/Final_Fantasy_7_purchase...?pg=1

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JustinTheGamer']In for one but when downloading I'm stuck at 395.55 /2372.28 also[/QUOTE]
seriously.... are they torrenting it with an incomplete seed or what? This is silly! Glad I waited...

Dang, I was really looking forward to playing this game, Steamworks or not, during the summer. :\
I guess I'll just wait for Steam then, since Square obviously doesn't know how to handle online DLs.

[quote name='Roll']Dang, I was really looking forward to playing this game, Steamworks or not, during the summer. :\
I guess I'll just wait for Steam then, since Square obviously doesn't know how to handle online DLs.[/QUOTE]

Newsflash: This game has been playable for years. No need for broken Steam versions! :p

Was finally able to download it about 30 minutes ago. I didn't do anything different just kept closing it and reopening it when it stalled and starting completely over.

[quote name='dandragonrage']Newsflash: This game has been playable for years. No need for broken Steam versions! :p[/QUOTE]
I would rather the DRM on Steam than whatever crap they decided to put on this version. At least with Steam I don't need to worry about activation limits and stuff.

As much as I would consider buying it, I wont do it unless they go DRM free or Steam with only Steam DRM.

So its been available for awhile on PSN for the same $9.99 price. My question is, does it look halfway decent on a PS3 with a HDTV or should I go for this PC version instead?

bread's done
Back