Final Fantasy VII (PC DD) w/ Achievements, Character Booster, Cloud Saves for $9.99

[quote name='dejeckt']Hopefully someone will mod this game....[/QUOTE]
As has been implied earlier, FFVII PC has a fair number of mods, thanks to a (still active, amazingly enough) modding community. No word yet on whether any of the mods will work with this new release, though.

Also, I still want to know where the OP got "$9.99" from.

[quote name='blueshinra']Also, I still want to know where the OP got "$9.99" from.[/QUOTE]

Same here, and it still wouldn't be a deal. Does every PSone Classic released on PSN get its own deal thread at full price, too?

[quote name='Guimengo']Any more info ?[/QUOTE]
I also want more info... I feel like we should be getting a price point and release date for this soon right? I may just break down and get it on PSN (even though it looks like crap on my tv....)

[quote name='red flare graf']Same here, and it still wouldn't be a deal. Does every PSone Classic released on PSN get its own deal thread at full price, too?[/QUOTE]

If they get re released with achievements and other enhancements, probably. Also its Square finally doing something with FF7. Support it and we may get an HD remake. Otherwise stop whining and GTFO.

This is the most active forum and there are frequently threads for non-deals. Why do people still bitch about this!!!!

[quote name='Woocls']I also want more info... I feel like we should be getting a price point and release date for this soon right? I may just break down and get it on PSN (even though it looks like crap on my tv....)[/QUOTE]

PSN PS1 games are the best because of playing them on the PSP. They look awesome on there. I buy a digital version (if it's available) every time I play a PS1 game even though I have the disc. They're just too good! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zaku77']PSN PS1 games are the best because of playing them on the PSP. They look awesome on there. I Buy a digital version (if it's available) every time I play a PS1 game even though I have the disc. They're just too good! lol[/QUOTE]
I do have a psp some place.... Haven't picked it up in probably 2 years. :( I'll still wait on this deal to get more info (assuming that happens soon) Actually, I may have sold my psp to gamestop.

I sold all of my CD games, Final Fantasy 7-8, 4 and Chrono Trigger. Got them on PSN download for $4.89, except FF7 for $9.99.

I don't mind it not being on Steam, after all Valve gets a massive cut on anything sold there. I really hope there's some work done on this FF7 release as there's no point reselling something that will make us all go through the same hassle of finding proper 3rd-party (free) updates ourselves to make it a respectable game.

[quote name='pROvIs']No Steam = No Sale[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't say no Steam = no sale for me per se. However, the achievements are pointless unless it's hooked into a decent community that actually values achievements. When they're just put into a single game and not attached to a larger community they're pointless.

But yeah it would have to be REALLY cheap for me to buy it elsewhere though.

I just got this month's Square Enix Members newsletter. The $9.99 price is real, but...

[quote name='Square Enix Members']In celebration of the FINAL FANTASY franchise's 25th anniversary, Square Enix is offering Members exclusive access to this classic at a promotional price of $9.99.[/quote]

[quote name='blueshinra']I just got this month's Square Enix Members newsletter. The $9.99 price is real, but...[/QUOTE]

Probably exclusive for a few weeks at best, until it's offered to the rest of the world.

[quote name='keithp']Probably exclusive for a few weeks at best, until it's offered to the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely, but who knows what price it'll be then? I wouldn't be surprised if the actual price is $9.99, since that's what it goes for on PSN, but there's these new features, so... *shrug*

Like pROvIs said, if this isn't on Steam, I won't be buying it. I already have the PC version, and the only reason I would want to buy it again would be for (meaningful) achievements and Steam community features (screenshot uploads, etc.).

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UB3JIE1lSyc

It's out now. I'm still a little unclear if this gets you a Steam key and they are just the only place you can buy it from or if they are starting their own DD service with Cloud (Strife) save etc.

Someone on the Steam forum said it was a direct download straight from Square that you have to use their (new?) client for and it has Securom with a 5x activation limit. :bomb:

Also people are saying the Securom keys are apparently not in their database yet and they can't activate the game. Great. :roll:

I'll pass and wait and hope it shows up on Steam.

Edit: People on the Square forum who bought it and can't activate it are pissed off

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29269207/

I've been seeing A LOT of issues with securom not being updated properly to allow keys for people who legitimately purchased games. Publishers need to ditch it. Fable III, Sacred II, Battle Chess and now this. What's next?

[quote name='Motoki']http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UB3JIE1lSyc

It's out now. I'm still a little unclear if this gets you a Steam key and they are just the only place you can buy it from or if they are starting their own DD service with Cloud (Strife) save etc.

Someone on the Steam forum said it was a direct download straight from Square with a limit of 5 times max that you can download it from them. :bomb:

I'll pass and wait and hope it shows up on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Good find, but yea gonna wait on this. Has anyone seen a review, gameplay on the new release? Also, squareenix website looks like a 90s website

[quote name='Motoki']http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UB3JIE1lSyc

Someone on the Steam forum said it was a direct download straight from Square that you have to use their (new?) client for and it has Securom with a 5x activation limit. :bomb:

Also people are saying the Securom keys are apparently not in their database yet and they can't activate the game. Great. :roll:

I'll pass and wait and hope it shows up on Steam.

Edit: People on the Square forum who bought it and can't activate it are pissed off

http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29269207/

I've been seeing A LOT of issues with securom not being updated properly to allow keys for people who legitimately purchased games. Publishers need to ditch it. Fable III, Sacred II, Battle Chess and now this. What's next?[/QUOTE]

Very curious as to why whoever made the thread on SE forums posted it under FFXII forums instead of FFVII lol.

[quote name='JanusDS']Lol, I know it's corny but every time I've seen the info regarding this FFVII re-release with the "Cloud saves", it's made me chuckle as well. :D I think Squaresoft planned this ever since the development of FFVII seeing as it was the first FF game published for PC's, just so we could all get a big laugh when they re-released this since I believe the "cloud" moniker relative to computing was around even back then, though very rarely used and most likely not even available to your average PC user. But still, it was all one big set up for this. :razz: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Could be, but then again, you are a false prophet.

This DRM is supremely frustrating. Square Enix was becoming one of my favorite publishers because they seemed to avoid schemes like this. I'm now beginning to regret prepurchasing Hitman Absolution, because I don't feel I can trust them to not put strange additional DRM in addition to Steam on the game. What this means in practical terms is that this game and other games they publish (Sleeping Dogs being one I was very tempted to purchase) will be on my less than $10 list. They're only hurting themselves with this.

Also, the $2 price hike is shitty too.

this is almost comically stereotypical of a Japanese company to so completely and totally not understand the PC gaming market and release an ancient game like this with so many problems at such a stupid price.

Also I recall the PC version having terrible audio. The PSOne version wasn't that great either but the PC version relied on whatever MIDI sounds your PC had installed at the time. I wonder what they've done with that. Probably nothing.

[quote name='Wario64']DO NOT BUY, the game doesn't activate cause it's using DRM BS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GUNNM'][/QUOTE]

Well played....:applause:

[quote name='Yeloazndevil']It seems SE pulled FF7 from the SE store as its just a 404 and the page to actually buy it is gone too[/QUOTE]

What happens to the people who already paid in full? Are they getting refunds or are they forced to wait it out?

[quote name='jer7583']this is almost comically stereotypical of a Japanese company to so completely and totally not understand the PC gaming market and release an ancient game like this with so many problems at such a stupid price.
[/QUOTE]

Except that they own a US software company, Eidos, and they've already done quite a number of PC releases as Steamworks which, while mostly western titles under the Eidos banner, it does also include Square's own The Last Remnant.

So no, they don't get a Get Out of Jail free card for being ignorant Japanese publishers clueless about the PC market.

By the way, their Eidos division is doing really well, Square basically says that purchase saved their asses even, and the Japanese are lamenting that their own division is not.

http://andriasang.com/comwax/square_enix_japanese_showing/
Koji Taguchi, a senior executive officer at Square Enix Holdings, posted the following at Twitter on the final day of the (E3) show: "Because we merged with Eidos and had games like Tomb Raider, Deus and Hitman, as a company we were able to keep face. But the decline in Japanese titles was almost humiliating. This has been a week where I worried daily about how we can fix this."

Anyway, it's better off that they yank it for now than to continue to disastrously sell something that doesn't work. I really hope that all the people who bought it can either get a refund or a working game sooner rather than later.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']You might as well just watch a walkthrough/speed run then. I dont see how people can enjoy games without actually "beating it". You cant say you beat FF7 if you use this feature, I mean you did but did you really?

And you restarting the game is your own fault, this game has been out for like 15 years, if you never "had time" before you could of used a gameshark.

On another note, I might just get this to have on my laptop, never got into playing games on pc but im a tool for FF7 kinda. The achievements might push me to play more.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking - I mean if you don't have the time to play a game properly then why even waste the time playing through it in "cheat mode" when it would be quicker to just watch a relatively short play through of it since the person playing most likely knows exactly where to go and what to do at all times and also knows what people to not waste time talking to, what mini-games are worth wasting the time on, etc. :whistle2:?

Don't get me wrong, in college I had very little time for games between classes, social life and part-time jobs now and then and mostly what I played were multi-player/social games. I only completed maybe 3 or 4 RPG's during that entire time and that's just how it's going to be for most people. Then when I started working full-time, there was a period of 3-4 years when I was really trying to advance my career and maintain some semblance of a social life where I pretty much didn't play games at all. But even during all that, I still see absolutely no point in playing a game when you're going to eliminate what I see as the whole point of playing a game rather than just reading a book or watching a movie.

But to each their own I guess...personally the whole reason I've enjoyed games so much since I was 5 or so is because of the challenge and the sense of satisfaction I get from overcoming those challenges on my own merit, through practice and experience. The only time I'll ever even look at any sort of faq or other help related info or use any cheats for a game is if I've beaten it, done every side quest type deal that I care to do, am just tired of playing the game and am just curious to see what I may have missed or just want to goof around with the cheats.

You know what?

Square-Enix should just release FFVII PC Re-Release on GOG, DRM-FREE.
And other services, too.

Problem solved.

THE END. ;)

[quote name='Motoki']Except that they own a US software company, Eidos, and they've already done quite a number of PC releases as Steamworks which, while mostly western titles under the Eidos banner, it does also include Square's own The Last Remnant.[/QUOTE]
The really wacky/ironic thing is that Eidos was the original publisher of FFVII PC! :whee:

[quote name='JanusDS']That's exactly what I was thinking - I mean if you don't have the time to play a game properly then why even waste the time playing through it in "cheat mode" when it would be quicker to just watch a relatively short play through of it since the person playing most likely knows exactly where to go and what to do at all times and also knows what people to not waste time talking to, what mini-games are worth wasting the time on, etc. :whistle2:?

Don't get me wrong, in college I had very little time for games between classes, social life and part-time jobs now and then and mostly what I played were multi-player/social games. I only completed maybe 3 or 4 RPG's during that entire time and that's just how it's going to be for most people. Then when I started working full-time, there was a period of 3-4 years when I was really trying to advance my career and maintain some semblance of a social life where I pretty much didn't play games at all. But even during all that, I still see absolutely no point in playing a game when you're going to eliminate what I see as the whole point of playing a game rather than just reading a book or watching a movie.

But to each their own I guess...personally the whole reason I've enjoyed games so much since I was 5 or so is because of the challenge and the sense of satisfaction I get from overcoming those challenges on my own merit, through practice and experience. The only time I'll ever even look at any sort of faq or other help related info or use any cheats for a game is if I've beaten it, done every side quest type deal that I care to do, am just tired of playing the game and am just curious to see what I may have missed or just want to goof around with the cheats.[/QUOTE]

"To each their own" really says it all. I mean, it's not always one or the other like you're making it out to be. Many people enjoy a mix of things.

Sometimes it is about the challenge, sometimes it's just to experience the story or atmosphere, or just the feeling of controlling things at your own pace. These are all what I consider before playing through a game.

I've already beaten VII multiple times, but every couple of years I enjoy revisiting it. If this release wasn't such a mess I might have bought it again and used this stuff to speed up my next playthrough. I've beaten hundreds of turn-based JRPG's...there's nothing for me to prove to anyone else or myself, so sometimes I'll play it normally and sometimes I'll "cheat" depending on how I feel or how much time I want to spend revisiting. The proper way to play a video game in my opinion (not counting competitive multiplayer where exploits can occur) is however the individual chooses in order to have fun.

[quote name='mitch079']Their company slogan has to be, "We can't do anything right."[/QUOTE]

And yet people still want them to do a FFVII remake?

LOL, I think NOT

[quote name='kyrhon']So, is it official that it will be released on Steam?[/QUOTE]

It is official that it will NOT be released on Steam.

Is this a game for windows live game with achievments that carry of to xbox live profile? Or are there just there own personal achievments like WOW has?

[quote name='Xenokai']Is this a game for windows live game with achievments that carry of to xbox live profile? Or are there just there own personal achievments like WOW has?[/QUOTE]

personal

bread's done
Back