Final Fantasy VII - PSN only $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This is a sort of deal and was posted in the discussion thread, but since it's only $9.99 I've posted it in the deals section--mods feel free to move.

Available on PSN right now for only $9.99 is the classic FFVII. As I'm sure you all know this can be downloaded and played on either your PS3 or your PSP...

[quote name='mietha']That's actually pretty easy. Most people who own it will never sell it. Even with it being on the PSN for $10, I wouldn't sell my copy for $100, and I am FAR from alone. This really is one of the best games every made and more importantly, it is THE game that changed what video games are. This was the first game that MANY people cried at. Go back and look at what games were back then. The concept of crying because of a video game (other than out of severe frustration) was an insane concept before this game. It was the first game to establish a true emotional attachment to a game for many people, and the industry hasn't looked back since.[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget how important it was in affecting the PS1 vs N64 wars. This game was pivotal in allowing the PS1 reach dominance.

[quote name='etcrane']TWEWY was interesting but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as any of the classic FF's, Chrono, or even Xenogears. The latest Star Oceans have been debatable at best, and FF 14 is a distant dream even if they showed off some fancy FMV today. Bottom line, they will remake FFVII eventually because they have the hi-def models from the film and are a money hungry company that feeds off of endless re-releases of games from an era where they were at the top of their game. I'm not saying it's coming out in the next year or so, but it will come ... and Square Enix can fail ... I bet there were plenty of "morons" back in the early 90's who thought Sega would still be making consoles now.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh,don't get me wrong,I'm not saying those games are anywhere on the same level as those games.I'm just saying SE has made some good games this gen(last remmant isnt that bad either) and hopefully with those final fantasy games will be the start of the old times(hopefully they remake or revive some of the series like parasite eve among others).

I'm Just saying SE is still doing alright financially and with those games coming out i'm sure they won't go bankrupt,though of course they could,you never know.They just need to stay away from making a dreamcast ;).

Edit:and Yeah,I agree,There is gonna be a FF7 remake sometime.Why wouldn't they it's gonna be easy money...Well anything with FF on it is easy money.

[quote name='Tempius']I have a psp but do not have a ps3. Can I download this?[/QUOTE]just turned on my psp and yah, you can dl this within psn store on psp.

[quote name='ohboy10451']gamesharing this, getting it for $2. Never played it. Should be worth $2 lol[/QUOTE]

That's against Sony's ToS. Just pony up the $10. It's well worth it.

So...can people who downloaded this version of FF7 comment on it? Are there loading times? Do you save your progress directly to PS3 hard drive? Everything running smoothly, no lag with the summon sequences?

I still have the original discs, but would gladly pay to download it if there are no loading times.

Lemme kno, THANKS

Loads faster. Memory cards are created virtually and saved on the HDD. I have the discs and could try the diff in loading times but I don't think FF VII's loading times were that brutal to begin with.

[quote name='emperordahc']I would like to take a brief moment to mock all the young people on this board who never owned a PS1 and neither played nor beat this game. *Feels very old, but is comforted by the blacklabled copy he has*

Now get off my lawn! :)[/QUOTE]

Ha, well I never owned a PS1 or played this game and I'm not "young people". I passed over the whole NES through N64/PS1 eras after growing tired of video games from the Atari/Colecovision days. I played computer games (though I didn't really game that much in the late 80's through the 90's anyway). So, yeah, this is new to me and I was pissed about the spoiler Kotaku joked about in their headline. Yeah, I really didn't know - why would I if I've never played the game or any spinoffs or watched anything about it... ever...

The hype for this game is off the charts though. I'm sure with all that I will find it very underwhelming, but we will see ;).

[quote name='prateeko']That's against Sony's ToS. Just pony up the $10. It's well worth it.[/QUOTE]

I've heard mixed things about this. In a Wired article from around the PS3 launch, Jack Tretton, SCEA President and CEO openly advocated game sharing:

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

Just purchased this after seeing this thread with no hesitation. I'll never get rid of my black label version, either. I don't even want to think how many hours I've put into this game over the years, especially the save where I maxed everyone's stats. This is the game that made me buy a PS1.

[quote name='jsub']So...can people who downloaded this version of FF7 comment on it? Are there loading times? Do you save your progress directly to PS3 hard drive? Everything running smoothly, no lag with the summon sequences?

I still have the original discs, but would gladly pay to download it if there are no loading times.

Lemme kno, THANKS[/QUOTE]

I dunno if it loads faster (sadly I sold my ff7 discs 2 years ago :/).But if you got a psp you can play FF7 on your psp and who hasn't wanted to do that :p.Just make sure you got enough space (games 1.32 gigs).

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm ... I'll wait for the inevitable remake that will either save Square Enix or come out a few months before the company folds (and you laugh, but seriously guys name a recent SE RPG that lives up to the stuff they were putting out in the late 90's - early 2000's.[/QUOTE]

FFXII. And, since you said Square-Enix, DQVIII. Generally I agree with you that the older FFs (particularly IV and VI) are superior, but I'm not ready to agree that the company has lost it. There's a reason they're still one of the most highly respected devs. Now, I'd readily acknowledge that their current-gen lineup has been lackluster, but I'm going to reserve judgement on that until after FFXIII.

[quote name='io']Ha, well I never owned a PS1 or played this game and I'm not "young people". I passed over the whole NES through N64/PS1 eras after growing tired of video games from the Atari/Colecovision days.[/QUOTE]

You missed out on some of the best video gaming has to offer. I would highly recommend setting aside some time to get yourself a SNES, at the very least.

[quote name='prateeko']Let's not forget how important it was in affecting the PS1 vs N64 wars. This game was pivotal in allowing the PS1 reach dominance.[/QUOTE]

In addition to another recently released game on the PSN called Resident Evil... Nintendo has been digging itself out ever since losing quality third party titles.

Like others said, I also wont sell my original ps1 FF7. I like to add that FF7 help non-RPG fans to finally get into an RPG game.

This couldn't have came at a better time. I have to ride up to a meeting two hours away tonight with coworkers I don't like. Was just going to watch movies on my psp but now I'll be playing this.

Well, I'm a teacher and summer break is only days away, so I've got this and Resident Evil to fill my 12 weeks of vacation, my trip to Vegas, my trip to Austin, my trip to LA, and my trip to Cedar Point. Yeah, being a teacher is the best...and now with FFVII and RE:DC I've got some of my classics from the 90s in the palm of my hand...excellent.

Okay, can I ask a couple of questions about the PSX games available on the PSN. And before anybody asks, no I haven't googled this up, so if the answer is obvious and moronic, please reply an answer first before calling me a n00b :)

Isn't the PSP PSX feature done via Remote Play?

If you actually download the game to your PSP, are the save games between a copy on the PS3 transferable to a PSP, and the save games compatible between a physical copy and one from the PSN?

I wouldn't mind purchasing the PSN version to play strictly on my PSP while my fiance plays inFamous or FFXII on the PS3, and when she goes to bed, pick it up on the PS3. But if that's impossible, I'll just stick to the physical disc she has on display.

Damn it for being surrounded by people using a CFWed PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mythus']just turned on my psp and yah, you can dl this within psn store on psp.[/QUOTE]

i still dont understand how this would work with just a psp ... can anyone walk us though this... is it easier then it was last year

i do not even see FF 7 in the store

Definitely picking this up. I had the PC version of VII way back when, and never finished it because I had to reformat the computer for some reason when I was like 20 hours into the game. It'll be nice to finally play it through to the finish (whenever I get around to it, my backlog is horrendous right now).

[quote name='slidecage']i still dont understand how this would work with just a psp ... can anyone walk us though this... is it easier then it was last year

i do not even see FF 7 in the store[/QUOTE]

It should just be in the PSN store, I haven't checked on the PSP though, so maybe they haven't updated the store yet.

If you need though, you can go to the PSN store through your PC by going here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/psn/mediago

You can download MediaGo, purchase FF7 on the PSN, and then go onto your PSP, check your download list, and download straight onto your PSP. That is just a temporary option though, as I'm sure the PSP store will be updated with FF7 soon if it isn't already on there.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Isn't the PSP PSX feature done via Remote Play?
[/QUOTE]

No, it's played strayed from the PSP.

I know not everyone that has a PSP also has a PS3 (though many do, I'd imagine). But if you download the game onto your PS3 and then install it, you can then copy it directly into the PSP using the USB Connection (doesn't even need to install again). Just hook up the PSP, then go to the game in the PS3 menu and select "copy". Piece of cake.

Worth the 10, but if you have the disc copy, nothing better than keeping that and using that form to play it, despite the flaws with disc changing.

Yeah, I can't express how happy I am about this, this was truly a landmark game that established the cinematic method of video game storytelling. I was a junior in college when this first came out and remember being blown away by it at the time. The fact that I can now play it again on my PSP with the entire summer in front of me is beyond fantastic.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']If you actually download the game to your PSP, are the save games between a copy on the PS3 transferable to a PSP, and the save games compatible between a physical copy and one from the PSN?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this to, and a quick Google search yielded no definitive answers.

Are the save games compatible between the physical copy and the PSN version?

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm curious about this to, and a quick Google search yielded no definitive answers.

Are the save games compatible between the physical copy and the PSN version?[/QUOTE]

I can't say for 100%, since I haven't tried it myself yet, but apparently it is possible to transfer your saved games from your PS3 to your PSP and vice versa.

All you have to do is hook the PSP up to the PS3 with a usb cable, find the save on whichever system you want to transfer to, hit the Triangle button, and then select transfer save. It will automatically convert the save to work on the other system.

As for using an old save from physical disks, I have read that that works too, but that was on another forum last night, so YMMV.

[quote name='Poor2More']Question

How do I transfer FF7 to my PSP using my PS3, so I can play it on the go, without using Remote play?[/QUOTE]

Download to PS3, connect your PSP by USB cable, go to FFVII icon and hit triangle and transfer.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']I can't say for 100%, since I haven't tried it myself yet, but apparently it is possible to transfer your saved games from your PS3 to your PSP and vice versa.

All you have to do is hook the PSP up to the PS3 with a usb cable, find the save on whichever system you want to transfer to, hit the Triangle button, and then select transfer save. It will automatically convert the save to work on the other system.

As for using an old save from physical disks, I have read that that works too, but that was on another forum last night, so YMMV.[/QUOTE]
As long as the save is in the PS1 card on the PS3 I don't see why not

Xenogears (which, when saving, shows your memory card) shows Suikoden files, Suikoden which I bought off the PSN, while Xenogears is running off-disc

Basically, its just a compilation of the ISOs made bootable on a PS3 without disc swap.

My question is: Is there analog support? Someone on the internetz said there was a version of FF7 that had Analog support..
I'm tempted to buy it, esp since I don't have my FF7 copy at the moment (and, while I have the PC version, its hard to play or even experience). Support for the analog stick would cement a purchase, since that DOES work on my PC version.....for some reason.

[quote name='lordopus99']In addition to another recently released game on the PSN called Resident Evil... Nintendo has been digging itself out ever since losing quality third party titles.

You mean the same in which their mopping the floor with both SONY and Microsoft? If so, well, then that's a damned good hole to be in.

I'm generally a SONY fan, but I couldn't let this one go.

[quote name='nativetongue88']im curious to hear if this game really stands the test of time. any opinions from those who played it in 1997 and then again now in 2009?[/QUOTE]

It does, without question. There are, for sure, some Final Fantasy games which can feel dated. But VI, VII, and Tactics stand out specifically to me as games which are just as excellent now as the day they came out.

[quote name='AwRy108']
You mean the same in which their mopping the floor with both SONY and Microsoft? If so, well, then that's a damned good hole to be in.

I'm generally a SONY fan, but I couldn't let this one go.[/QUOTE]

This really depends on how you're defining "hole". Yes, from a commercial success standpoint Nintendo is doing very well, but there's no denying that they have lost a lot of their cachet with the "gamer" crowd. Granted, we're now a significant minority among people who play games, but we'll also still be here after the Wii fad has died down. I still think Nintendo will have to revisit their decision to focus on casual gamers at some point.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']VII loses alot of it's impressive graphical flare, but it's still worth playing through, even with it's lousy ending.[/QUOTE]

It does, but that's like saying Star Wars doesn't look as good now as when it first came out. Obviously it doesn't. But like you said, still very much worth playing. Especially if graphics aren't all you care about (and if they are, shame on you :D).

I never played FFVII originally, so at $10 this was pretty much impossible to pass up and finally try the game out. $5.99 is great for the lower quality titles, but I really don't mind $10 for the better titles considering I can transfer to my PSP as well.

[quote name='Edeuinu']Already owned it, bought it again without a care in the world. $4 difference, really people?...[/QUOTE]

CHEAP ASS gamer

Not regular price loving gamers. ;)

[quote name='nativetongue88']im curious to hear if this game really stands the test of time. any opinions from those who played it in 1997 and then again now in 2009?[/QUOTE]

It stands up in every way except graphically. The play mechanics are standard JRPG and there hasn't been much innovation on that front. It definitely holds up story wise and that's the main reason to play through this game if you haven't yet. I haven't touched it since '97 but even 12 yrs later, I can remember most events in the game as if I just finished it yesterday.

To answer a few questions:

1) Yes, you can use your old PS1 saves with this version. I just loaded one up now. You have to have transferred them over to your PS3/PSP, of course.

2) Edit: I was wrong, there is analog support!, but looks like just for PSP.

3) You do still have to "switch disks." Pressing your PS button gets you to a menu where you can assign which disk is playing, which slots your memory card is in, view the manual (!), and some controller settings and stuff.

4) This looks much better than I expected on my 52" TV. I bought this to play on my PSP without having to worry about hacking it, but I may have to break it out on the PS3 every once in a while. It definitely looks better than when I play it on my computer.

[quote name='simmias']To answer a few questions:

2) No analog support, at least on my PS3. That's disappointing, but not a deal breaker. I haven't tried it on my PSP yet. I'll bring it to work with me to see if analog works on it, but I doubt it.

3) You do still have to "switch disks." Pressing your PS button gets you to a menu where you can assign which disk is playing, which slots your memory card is in, view the manual (!), and some controller settings and stuff.

4) This looks much better than I expected on my 52" TV. I bought this to play on my PSP without having to worry about hacking it, but I may have to break it out on the PS3 every once in a while. It definitely looks better than when I play it on my computer.[/QUOTE]

No Analog support? Eh. Oh well.
I guess "switching disks" makes sense, since its basically an emulator with ISOs.

And I swear the PS3 upscales PS1 games for HDTVs to some extent. I played Suidoken on my 720p 64 inch Sony HDTV and it looked smoother (and in a pseudo-widescreen) than it does on my normal 32 inch SDTV. My PS2 games, on the other hand, don't look great on the HDTV (maybe HDMI is "required" for PS2 upscale? I never looked into it)

Now to just figure out how to download it (1.3GB is a bit much for my Satellite internet limited at 7.5 GB in a 30 rolling-day period).

Getting this so I don't have to use my perfect black label copy to play. No way I'm risking scratching that thing.

didn't think this merited being in the deals section but 139 posts say I'm wrong. Thanks for the discussion though as alot of my questions have been answered.

[quote name='simmias']It definitely looks better than when I play it on my computer.[/QUOTE]

I find this sort of hard to believe. While the prerendered backgrounds of the exploration part of the game look hideous on PC (all stretched out from their native resolution=pixelated backgrounds), the character models and the battle sequences should look significantly better on the PC...

unless there's some sort of upscaling like someone suggested.

I've played the PC version exhaustively and have played the PSX version as well. The difference is not subtle at all.

For the most part, it's fine. The gameplay holds up, and I don't mind the dated graphics, but holy balls, the translation is HORRIBLE - typos, grammatical errors, or confusing/incorrect translations every few sentences. When I replayed this on my PSP last year, I once counted an error in every single sentence for seven whole sentences, which I thought was pretty unforgivable. If you're not bothered by terrible, terrible localizations, you should be fine.

It's not the portable remake that I wanted but this will do. It's time for me to dust off my PSP. As others have mentioned, i'm keeping my black label copy. There's no reason to sell it off but being able to play this on the go is pretty cool. I know that the graphics definitely do not hold up but sometimes it's not about the graphics but about the gameplay and story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back