Final Fantasy XIII coming to 360!

This honestly has me thinking about selling my PS3 now. Past FFXIII i have no PS3 games I am excited for. This is HUGE news for M$ in the US though. I wonder how much the X360 version will outsell the PS3 one.

Likely be released around 2013, 2014. Right around the time Microsoft gets ready to release their next-gen system with Blu-Ray and Sony gets ready to release Mech-sized PS4 with living cells and a real engine instead of an emotion engine.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL ZOMG! What a blow to all of these PS3 fanboys.

If you want a funny read, check out this story about the FF XIII, its not so much the story, but the comments. Its no N4G, as you may know this is the mecca for PS3 fanboyism. They have posted over 400 comments in 30 minutes, most of them calling MS a monopoly for doing this. This might have just made my day!

[quote name='jkam']Call me crazy but I for awhile was starting to think Nintendo might get the VII remake on the Wii...following in the vein of the DS remakes. It wouldn't be as pretty as everyone had hoped for...but it would be updated. I was just thinking since their install base is bigger in Japan. I guess it depends on how long the remake has been in development? I think it boils down to if that trailer was really a trailer or not.[/QUOTE]
You are crazy! They've been remaking sprite games into 3D for the DS. Understandable. Remaking a 3D game to look better and not going HD? Thats some bullshit.

[quote name='mrelusive']I don't want to imagine what the Kotaku comments or Gamespot forums are like now...[/quote]

Check out the N4G comments, over 400 in 30 minutes. I think they've started riots and flipping cars in over 30 states.

[quote name='Strell']I don't get it. Wouldn't this not change anything over in Japan?[/quote]

It's guaranteed not to change anything over in Japan. From what I've read over on 1up it's only going to be shipping on the 360 in Europe and North America.

I really don't care one way or the other on this. It's cool that more people will get to play it now, but I have both systems anyway so I don't particularly care. I'll probably end up getting the PS3 version still since I wouldn't trust my 360 not to red ring in the middle of it.

Wow.

The main reason I wanted a PS3 (reliability concerns aside) was to have a system to play GTA4, Resident Evil 5, and FFXIII on and have a minimal # of systems. That, and I like the PS3 controller a lot better, but that's hardly a system seller.

DQ9 on the DS instead of Sony... significant but not a huge deal.

Other Square titles/remakes on other platforms... whatever.

Going multi-platform for their flagship series for the 1st time in over 20 years (remakes/ports/MMOs excluded)... un-shaq-fu-ing believable.

This is a little disappointing, as I was hoping the title would play to the strengths of the platform. I realize there isn't a gargantuan difference between 360/PS3 in terms of performance, but in the case of a game like MGS4, porting it would involve some significant modifications and tweaks. I was looking forward to FFXIII being along the same lines.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, for your people who already own a 360 and had resolved to get a PS3 when FF dropped, you're in good shape. But then again, that points to no new sales for MS almost as well as it points to no new sales for Sony. You know - installed userbase not moving anywhere.

{SNIPPAGE}

Otherwise it's really only a good move for those who own a 360 - not necessarily a tremendous blow to Sony.[/quote]

Except you've forgotten one major group: the large percentage of PS2 owners who have not yet bought a newer system. It has long been speculated that many of these gamers are sitting the fence, waiting for games like MGS4, FF13, God of War, etc., to come out b4 going 'next-gen'. Now with FF13 multi-plat, that is one less bullet point Sony can hold over MS. And with the 360 (currently) cheaper than the PS3, perhaps this will get those gamers to side with MS instead of Sony.

Plus, on Microsoft's side, they want *software* to be moving as much, if not more than hardware. Especially 3rd party software as that is almost pure profit to MS. If FF13 does 800K+ like Lost Oddesy did, believe me, MS would be *very* happy, even if there was no accompanying hardware sales spike.

[quote name='mykevermin']What was the other megaton?

EDIT: I can't believe I just typed that.[/quote]

Rockband 2?
1:1 Wii controls?

I have no idea.

[quote name='hostyl1']Except you've forgotten one major group: the large percentage of PS2 owners who have not yet bought a newer system. It has long been speculated that many of these gamers are sitting the fence, waiting for games like MGS4, FF13, God of War, etc., to come out b4 going 'next-gen'. [/quote]

Nope. I included the people who don't have either.

Japan is notoriously cold to systems made in the west. OG Xbox didn't make a dent at all, and the 360 has a fraction of the userbase the PS3 already has over there. They also seem to love gadgets quite a bit, so the bluray player is better received over there.

Plus do you honestly believe it's a "huge group sitting on the fence?" Japanese gamers are pretty quick on the uptake, and definitely prepare for big titles. I don't buy that argument at all. Sony rolled out FF13 footage eons ago, and more people took notice then than are taking notice now. I credit MS with fighting tooth-and-nail in that territory, but they've got a lot more to contend with than simply bringing some games over to their side.

Plus, on Microsoft's side, they want *software* to be moving as much, if not more than hardware. Especially 3rd party software as that is almost pure profit to MS. If FF13 does 800K+ like Lost Oddesy did, believe me, MS would be *very* happy, even if there was no accompanying hardware sales spike.

Not in Japan. They want hardware moving over there because Sony and Nintendo enjoy a good portion of their worldwide sales in that region. They've already tried to appeal to that set with a variety of RPGs. Mistwalker comes to mind with Blue Dragon, but it didn't set a fire. I don't know how Lost Odyssey did, or even if it has been released over there.

Point being in Japan they need a bigger userbase, and frankly, I don't see this changing anything at all over there. I mean it'll move some systems, sure, but it isn't going to change the market there.

And since GTA4 pretty much failed to move a lot of systems, I don't see it doing it here either.

Again, it's big for 360-only owners. But this whole "where is your god now Sony" attitude is hilariously overblown.

Final Fantasy XIII is only coming out here in NA and Europe on the 360.

Edit: Also FF vs. XIII is a PS3 exclusive (at this point.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is easily the biggest coup for Microsoft and a huge blow to Sony. Whatever 'roll' the PS3 was apparently on just got shitted on. Its funny to see all those third party developers jumping from Sony after the PSX/PS2 to the 360 and Wii. Actually, its fucking hilarious. Sony can sure as hell buy studios for Blu-ray support, but apparently that can't for games.

BTW, that N4G stuff is hilarious. Thanks for the link. So many crying fanbois right now...so many.

I still want a PS3 for Kingdom Hearts and God of War III.

It was a shocking announcement though.

For possible FFVII news, maybe they'll combine all the FFVII games/Advent Children into one disc.

[quote name='Strell']
And since GTA4 pretty much failed to move a lot of systems, I don't see it doing it here either.[/QUOTE]

I do, in a sense. Off the top of my head I've got three friends who were waiting to buy a PS3 when FFXIII came out, their sole reason for doing so. Now they're all probably going to stick to their 360's - it won't necessarily drive sales, but it'll move PS3 sales further behind. This is less of something that'll drive 360 sales and more of something that'll comperably quell PS3 sales.

[quote name='spoo']Final Fantasy XIII is only coming out here in NA and Europe on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Alright. Makes the announcement more sensible because it shows that MS understands that they can't change the situation over in Japan, and throwing resources at it would just be like putting them in the garbage bin.

I guess from an American standpoint it does tip the scales more in MS's favor. I'd like to think they really should have paired it up with "MGS4: Substance Holiday 2008" for massive damage.

Still don't see it as this gigantic nail in the coffin though.

@SilverPaw: Yeah. Somewhat. Saw your post after this, but it's closer to what I'm thinking of.

Yeah, I was hoping for an MGS4 announcement. I want to play that game now and don't want to spend money on a PS3 until there's a price drop.

Any new MGS4 rumors?

[quote name='KillJoi99']AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFL ZOMG! What a blow to all of these PS3 fanboys.

If you want a funny read, check out this story about the FF XIII, its not so much the story, but the comments. Its no N4G, as you may know this is the mecca for PS3 fanboyism. They have posted over 400 comments in 30 minutes, most of them calling MS a monopoly for doing this. This might have just made my day![/QUOTE]

Your point is? XBox fanboys are just as bad if not worse than any other find of fanboys. Fanboys in general suck.

I agree with Myke, I don't understand all the in your face stuff. This announcement will not kill any sales or be any kind of deciding factor of who wins.

While this is a big blow, I think Sony still has enough exclusives to overtake this. They know that the 3rd party exclusives were coming to an end and I am sure prepared for it.

Your still forgetting White Knight Story, which is made by Level 5 who have probably been just as good lately when it comes to making RPG's.

Wait until tomorrow's press conference before you start proclaiming "Doom and gloom" For Sony.

While FF XIII is one of their 3 biggest franchises, along with Gran Turismo and MGS, they still have the other two, plus other big franchises such as Twisted Metal, and God of War, they can still win North America, especially since MSFT doesn't have many other big exclusives coming.

Either way, this is a sad time to see the end of 3rd party exclusives, but a big win for MSFT.

And Microsoft still has a big thing going against them: The RROD.

[quote name='wwfward']Yeah, I was hoping for an MGS4 announcement. I want to play that game now and don't want to spend money on a PS3 until there's a price drop.

Any new MGS4 rumors?[/QUOTE]

Only a matter of time now once MGS4 sales drops off on the PS3.

[quote name='wwfward']Yeah, I was hoping for an MGS4 announcement. I want to play that game now and don't want to spend money on a PS3 until there's a price drop.

Any new MGS4 rumors?[/quote]
I haven't heard an MGS4 on 360 rumors in a while now but I'm almost convincced that it will be on the 360 at some point. It's just too large of a market for Konami to ignore, and if there is one thing we know about Konami it's that they will do all they can to get more money of a series/franchise.

And to be honest, as big of a MGS fan as I am I'm not missing it yet as I still have a huge backlog of games to play.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']While this is a big blow, I think Sony still has enough exclusives to overtake this. They know that the 3rd party exclusives were coming to an end and I am sure prepared for it.

Your still forgetting White Knight Story, which is made by Level 5 who have probably been just as good lately when it comes to making RPG's.

Wait until tomorrow's press conference before you start proclaiming "Doom and gloom" For Sony.

While FF XIII is one of their 3 biggest franchises, along with Gran Turismo and MGS, they still have the other two, plus other big franchises such as Twisted Metal, and God of War, they can still win North America, especially since MSFT doesn't have many other big exclusives coming.

Either way, this is a sad time to see the end of 3rd party exclusives, but a big win for MSFT.[/QUOTE]

I love me some Twisted Metal, but its not something that is going to push hardware sales.

I'm still glad I have my PS3. Honestly, I'm not much for FFXIII so this one doesn't really affect me but damn, the sheer magnitude of this announcement really surprises me. When they brought the SE guy up, I figured there would be some kind of FF announcement and I have to admit, they totally got me when he walked off and then came back. I was honestly expecting some Halo Wars crap for the final 'big reveal'. But like I said, I'm still glad I own both. Sony still has some exclusives I want and I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some new ones tomorrow (hopefully). Honestly, I'm just so glad this happened because I think now Sony especially and Nintendo too somewhat, really need to step up their game. I think after this bombshell, the Nintendo conference is probably going to look really stagnant. I'm hoping that Sony has some 'wow' shit up it's sleeve to make up for losing the FFXIII exclusivity.

Like others have astutely mentioned, the only real winners here besides Microsoft are the hardcore MS fanboys, and those who cannot afford a PS3 in addition to their 360.

Sony will survive....

The only real losers I think, are the hardcore gamers (like myself) in general. Maybe I'm wrong here, but no one can deny that MGS4 clearly demonstrated the PS3's capabilities with the Blu-Ray standard. With that in mind, I think we all expected FFXIII to duplicate if not pass MGS4 visuals and presentation. With this announcement I can't help but feel FFXIII will be nerfed to compensate for the 360's DVD standard. I really don't think they are now going to program this game with the Blu-Ray in mind and just chop it up into however many DVDs for the 360. No matter what version you get, I believe the game will have suffered as a result of this.

This is not an attack on the 360. I just think we are going to lose out on something for this.

Surprised new ever. Now i can't wait to play FFXIII on 360. Hope they put all FF series 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 and X-II and XII on 360. :)

Well, it does sway at least this gamer. I had all the previous generations consoles and let's be honest, the gaming market is even more expensive than ever. It's hard to "just buy all three". Try doing that with a mortgage and a family. Hell, even if you can who has the time to play all the games for the systems?

The only reasons I ever considered a PS3 at this point was MGS4 and FFXIII. I love both those franchises but made the personal choice that the 360 was the system for me. So I'm super happy to hear this announcement and it has killed all desire to buy a PS3.

So yeah, I'm just one gamer but then again, we all are. Get enough similar people and we're a group, and then a market. It makes a difference.

Sony needs to pull a FFVII remake to save face I think. But that's more pride and marketability.

Just my 2 cents

[quote name='sallyballs']Like others have astutely mentioned, the only real winners here besides Microsoft are the hardcore MS fanboys, and those who cannot afford a PS3 in addition to their 360.

Sony will survive....

.....notverystealthlikerant....

This is not an attack on the 360. I just think we are going to lose out on something for this.[/QUOTE]

So their are losers in this announcement? *grabs popcorn* Go on I want to hear this.

Smart move by sqaure... since they will get thier sales in japan.. and now more in the US....probably saw how gta sold on the xbox. A good business move, and MSoft probably sweetened the deal for them.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Smart move by sqaure... since they will get thier sales in japan.. and now more in the US....probably saw how gta sold on the xbox. A good business move, and MSoft probably sweetened the deal for them.[/QUOTE]

The thing is with all of Wada's quotes in the last 2 years or so talking about how they are falling behind the times and multiplatform is the way to go on big projects I don't think MS had to give them any incentives besides tech help with porting when and if needed.

I don't think theres any way PS3 can beat the 360 in North America now.

I'm just glad that more people get to play the game without having to buy another system. I don't own a PS3 yet, and now have one less reason to.

I don't think this will hurt Sony too much however. GTA4 and MGS4 hardly provided the hardware sales spikes that people were predicting/expecting.

Maybe they lose out on a couple hundred thousand PS3 sales come launch time.

Here's a laugh: The PS3 exclusive game that makes me want one the most? Disgaeae 3.

Microsoft to Sony: how are you gentlemen. all your fan base are belong to us.you are on the way to destruction.
seriously though, this move could kill the ps3 in America if a big developer like square drops out of the exclusivity game than smaller developers would could follow suit .sony better announce something big soon or ps3 could go the way of the Dodo.:cry:

[quote name='soriku']Microsoft to Sony: how are you gentlemen. all your fan base are belong to us.you are on the way to destruction.
seriously though, this move could kill the ps3 in America if a big developer like square drops out of the exclusivity game than smaller developers would could follow suit .sony better announce something big soon or ps3 could go the way of the Dodo.:cry:[/QUOTE]

It's not like FFXIII isn't coming out on the PS3 anymore...

I'm hoping this announcement means that FFXIII will also make its way to the PC, but either way, it's interesting just because it's made Gamefaqs a fun read now.

Honestly, I find this to be a huge blow to Sony on a personal level. I own neither a 360 nor a PS3. I've been waiting for THE killer (app) game to tide me over one way or another. I'm a huge JRPG fan and I was honestly going to buy a PS3 if they made a bundle for FFXIII and it was an exclusive title, but alas, it is now available on both platforms. I might have to spring for a 360 now.

I hope Sony comes out with some good news soon. I'm not trying to put down one company or the other. I believe both can exist happily and I just want to see devs put out great games, no matter what platform.

Besides, competition is what keeps the other company in shape? Do you really want less consoles on the market? The prices would go through the roof.

[quote name='whoknows']It's not like FFXIII isn't coming out on the PS3 anymore...[/quote]

i know but those who were on the fence before may lean toward Microsoft and their money bags.

omg It's Coming Out For Xbox360, Excuse Me While I Throw My Ps3 Out The Window In Anger !!!

agh the auto-lowercasing sort of takes away from the sarcasm, as well as this spoiler

[quote name='theHeat']Besides, competition is what keeps the other company in shape? Do you really want less consoles on the market? The prices would go through the roof.[/QUOTE]

But there would be fewer consoles to buy.

Ya know, they might as well give us MGS4 for the 360. :/
Hell, just make a PS360!

And, 9 times out of 10 Sony wont do a FF7 Remake because the story doesn't make sense. Most people were blinded by how it was the first 3D FF game and had a "innovative battle system" (a battle system not so different from FF4-6)
Seriously! What would it have going for it? Materia? Me don't think so!
They could make the battle system similar to FF12 I guess, but that turned off many players, including myself.

bread's done
Back